Author Topic: Just out of curiosity...  (Read 2935 times)

Offline GrimCO

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.GrimsReapers.com
Just out of curiosity...
« on: June 03, 2003, 03:58:57 PM »
Who here believes in the Big Bang Theory for the creation of the Universe?

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2003, 04:00:38 PM »
When you stop and think about how many things have been created by a bang... it makes sense.

MiniD
« Last Edit: June 03, 2003, 04:03:10 PM by Mini D »

Offline hawk220

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2003, 04:08:47 PM »
I'm in the big bang camp.

tho I think that its not a single event, but rather, it happens over and over again.. granted on a looooong time-scale.

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2003, 04:13:58 PM »
Having actually read that book by the guy in the wheelchair. (Sorry I'm getting senile and can't remember his name or the book.) eh Hawking?

Yes I do until something more plausible comes up. I do like the idea of there being alternative universes out there. That does appeal.

This is the sort or thread started that draws in the creationist crowd. You know the type. They are the ones who prove we are descended from apes while denying any such thing:D

Offline Syzygyone

• Silver Member
Well..........
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2003, 04:24:10 PM »
Originally posted by cpxxx
Having actually read that book by the guy in the wheelchair. (Sorry I'm getting senile and can't remember his name or the book.) eh Hawking?

Yes I do until something more plausible comes up. I do like the idea of there being alternative universes out there. That does appeal.

This is the sort or thread started that draws in the creationist crowd. You know the type. They are the ones who prove we are descended from apes while denying any such thing:D

Steve Hawking aside, the big bang theory is certainly more logically defensible than the "Christian" biblical concept that the earth is only 10,000 years old.

But, that's just me.

:D

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2003, 05:39:25 PM »
I'm not certain, I'm open to anything that makes sense scientifically.

I went to this site, started off by clicking universes, then found myself reading about dark matter and anti-matter, then time travel, and finally ending with superstring theory.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/hawking/html/home.html

Very interesting, almost makes me want to become an astrophysicist or cosmologist.. but I suck with advanced math and pretty much anything that requires advanced math.
-SW

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2003, 05:41:08 PM »
Don't do physics. You'll carry the scars for years.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline CyranoAH

• Gold Member
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2003, 06:43:26 PM »
Heh, my gf is into cosmology (gravitational waves), so you can imagine this one is a recurring topic of conversation.

Big bang from quantum foam, she made me believe it :)

Daniel

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2003, 06:54:06 PM »
I don't believe in the big bang theory for a simple reason:

In order for you to beleive in the big bang, you must believe there was a root cause that put that bang in motion.

If you follow logically, the bang had to start with something moving or putting into motion the chain reaction. If you assume that something suddenly moved or expanded, you must then ask yourself what event caused that movement. Then you would have to go back again and ask what caused the event that caused the movment, and so on and so on.

You would then have a chain of events stretching back into infinity. That would mean the big bang was "always" happening.

You can't say that "something" suddenly exploded without looking into the infinate chain of events that lead to the explosion.

I beleive what Einstien believed......that when you look at it all, there has to be God.

Believing in God is no less logical than believing the Big Bang just "happened"

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2003, 07:07:23 PM »
There doesn't HAVE to be a god, there CAN be a god.

But why does there have to be a beginning?

Beginning, end, time, creation - all things humans created to explain their surroundings.

Why is it so unplausible to say that it always was and always will be, a circle that has no beginning and no end- was never created and always will be.

If you say "well it had to be created", then you lose your argument of a god- what created god?

And then the infinite circle begins again.
-SW

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2003, 07:13:31 PM »
<--Subscriber.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2003, 07:30:41 PM »
Even if the Big Bang was the source for the universe...something created the Bang. If that was God's(Budda,Allah, insert belief here) method..so be it. People were so primitive they could not understand the quantum physics involved, so they made it a story people could understand. If you do not belive there is some higher power behind it all in some way, that's just silly.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline MrCoffee

• Silver Member
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2003, 07:31:21 PM »
<-- Scoobydoo

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2003, 07:32:47 PM »
<---ScrappyDoo

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2003, 07:42:33 PM »
Why is it so unplausible to say that it always was and always will be, a circle that has no beginning and no end- was never created and always will be.

If you say "well it had to be created", then you lose your argument of a god- what created god?

I could use your own argument that it is plausible to say something always was and always will be and apply that to God.

If one has made the jump to realising the universe could have always been, then it's a small step to beleive that a God has always been.

The God argument makes as much sense as the Universe ( and all it's matter) having just "always" existed.