Author Topic: PERK the BIG FOUR this tour!!!  (Read 2810 times)

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
PERK the BIG FOUR this tour!!!
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2003, 11:00:51 AM »
Increasing restrictions is not the way to promote diversity.  The top utilized plane is used the same % as the 4th utilized plane 2 years ago.  The fact that people now have to complain about the 4 most utilized planes instead of the one or 2 most utilized says alot about how much things have changed with the game... and how little its changed with those that feel the need to complain about it.

MiniD

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2003, 11:53:06 AM »
Originally posted by Mini D
Increasing restrictions is not the way to promote diversity.  The top utilized plane is used the same % as the 4th utilized plane 2 years ago.  The fact that people now have to complain about the 4 most utilized planes instead of the one or 2 most utilized says alot about how much things have changed with the game... and how little its changed with those that feel the need to complain about it.

MiniD

Ive never seen someone complain so much about others complaining.  Kind of ironic, isnt it?

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2003, 12:05:44 PM »
Originally posted by Murdr

Spit9- Good balanced plane, no reason to ever perk.
P51D- Good balanced plane, no reason to ever perk.
N1k-Shouldnt be able to hang on its prop without tourque effects, but its never gonna change, no reason to perk.
La7- Outragous acceleration, can reverse to face a plane, reverse again after the merge, and still run down 90% of the planes in the set in a matter of seconds.  No reason to ever be a non-perk.

Spit9- Overused...perk it.
P51D-  Overused  but used poorly...no perk
N1k-   Adjust FM, never perk IJN planes
La7-   Perk, or reduce ammo load by 95% :)

Gainsie

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2003, 12:11:22 PM »
Originally posted by Urchin
P-47 (all of them), P-38, F6F, P-40 (both), F4F (both), Hurricane (all), Mosquito (?), 109 (except G-10), 190 (except D9), 110 (both), C202/205, and Ki-61.  

That's all I could pick out in my brief run-through.  Also keep in mind that my list is purely A2A combat, I know the Spitfire doesn't carry any sort of heavy A2G load.  Now, when I say that these planes become "useless"  I don't mean that a Spit IX will utterly dominate these planes in a fight (although it will, assuming the pilot skill is even), I mean that if someone takes the time to compare the planes, he would almost invariably go with the Spitfire (or N1K2, as the case may be, below 10k the planes have almost identical performance).  The Hurricane is 'useless' for a different reason-  The Hurricane out-turns almost every plane, but then so does the Spit IX and it has much better performance in other areas so there is no point in flying a Hurricane.  The rest of them are lacking in speed (the slight top speed advantage doesn't justify the huge losses in the following), acceleration, turning, firepower for most of the planes.

In some cases you are correct, but others, no.

P-40B:  Come on, the N1K2 and Spit IX aren't rendering it obsolete, it is rendering itself obsolete.  The P-40B is obsolete compared to the C.202.  You can hardly blame it's obsolesence on the N1K2 and Spit IX.

P-40E: The Spitfire Mk V and C.205 are markedly better.  The P-40E's obsolesence cannot be blamed on the Spit IX or N1K2.

Mosquito:  I actually feel fine in combat against either of these aircraft as I know that I out perform them.  I know most people probably wouldn't feel that way, but I suspect from the Mossie's K/D ratio that most people think it can't fight back and simply give up when an airbourne enemy fighter shows up.  I do not think the Spit IX or N1K2 make the Mossie obsolete.

Fw190s (except the D-9):  Like the Mossie they out perform the Spit IX and N1K2.  I don't know if they do so as well though.  I'd have to play with them more.  I will say that I feel quite comfortable in a melee while flying the Fw190A-5.

P-38L:  It is the same story as the Mossie, except more so.  The P-38L has marked performance advantages that can be relatively easily exploited in order to beat the Spit IX or N1K2.

F4F-4:  This is an out dated aircraft, and like the P-40's it can't simply be blamed on the Spit IX and N1K2 as removing those would not remove it from the list of obsolete aircraft.  In fact it's performance is so poor that removing those two aircraft wouldn't affect its usage at all.

FM2:  This think is a built N1K2 killer.  If anything, the N1K2 gives the FM2 a reason to be used.  Don't know how it stacks up with the Spit IX.

P-47s:  See Mossie:  They are, so far as I can tell, essentially used the same and should have the same success.

Hurri I:  See P-40B and F4F-4.

Hurri IIc: See FM2.

Bf110s:  Spitfire Mk IXs should, based on historical anctedotes, make this obsolete.  Every Allied fighter pilot I've ever heard a comment regarding the Bf110 from considered it a free kill essentially.  The N1K2 being a similar aircraft should have much the same affect on it.  The only way to change this is to artificially promote the Bf110 by removing all those things which would otherwise stomp it.

C.202:  See P-40B and F4F-4.

C.205: Yes, this one is rendered obsolete by the Spitfire IX and N1K2 if selecting only the best is the criteria.

F6F-5;  See C.205, except that it retains usefulness even with the Spit IX and N1K2 in existance because it is carrier based.

Bf109s (except G-10):  The F-4 is pretty well screwed, but the G-2 has some advantages and I imagine the G-6 probably does too.

Ki-61:  It is too underpowered to really be in the running.  I put it about on the level of the Bf109F-4.  It is good, but there are other things (like the C.205) that are between it and the Spit IX and N1K2.

For me, it is the fast planes that are damaging the game.  They are the things that allow the one way fuel pork trips to be a sure bet.  They are the things that force most of the aircraft on your list to turn and become meat for the N1K2s and Spit IXs.  If not for the fast, 1944 kites most of those aircraft could play with the Spit IX and N1K2 at their leisure.  The La-7 is my single biggest gripe, and it is becoming more and more common.  It actually overtook the P-51D and is closing on the Spit IX.  The La-7 has far more impact on my game than the other three of the big four combined.  P-51Ds I respect, but Spitfire Mk IXs and N1K2-Js I simply regard as juicier kills because of their low ENY values.

Tilt,

As to the La-7's disadvantage is poor performance at altitude::rolleyes:

Cry me a river.

A) The vast, vast, vast majority of fighting in AH is at low altitude.

B) It is far,far easier to escape to low altitude than it is to escape to high altitude.

The La-7's low altitude optimization is an advantage, not a disadvantage.  The Ta152H-1 and Spitfire Mk XIV got jacked because they are perked due to their performance at high altitude, even though that is pretty useless in AH.

The guns on the La-7 are nothing special, good or bad.  They are simply adequate.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2003, 12:24:31 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak

Tilt,

As to the La-7's disadvantage is poor performance at altitude

Cry me a river.

despite sarcasm............still true tho

A) The vast, vast, vast majority of fighting in AH is at low altitude.

B) It is far,far easier to escape to low altitude than it is to escape to high altitude.

also true.......unless your trying to dive away from a D9, p51 or G10.

The La-7's low altitude optimization is an advantage, not a disadvantage.  

At higher alt it is disadvantaged against other AC

The Ta152H-1 and Spitfire Mk XIV got jacked because they are perked due to their performance at high altitude, even though that is pretty useless in AH.

Really?

The guns on the La-7 are nothing special, good or bad.  They are simply adequate.

true...   or in comparison with every other AC listed on the "uber"list .......less than adequate.

Its still a very good ride however.......
« Last Edit: June 23, 2003, 12:45:27 PM by Tilt »
Ludere Vincere

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2003, 12:34:21 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak
They are the things that force most of the aircraft on your list to turn and become meat for the N1K2s and Spit IXs.  If not for the fast, 1944 kites most of those aircraft could play with the Spit IX and N1K2 at their leisure.  The La-7 is my single biggest gripe, and it is becoming more and more common.  It actually overtook the P-51D and is closing on the Spit IX.  The La-7 has far more impact on my game than the other three of the big four combined.  P-51Ds I respect, but Spitfire Mk IXs and N1K2-Js I simply regard as juicier kills because of their low ENY values.

What he said.

Gainsie, guess we agree to disagree on the spit9.  Its amount of usage doesnt bother me a bit.  Btw whats the number of the spit9s produced?  Just curious if it is as lopsided as N1k and La7 usage in AH.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2003, 01:00:59 PM »
There were approximately 300 Merlin 61 powered Spitfire F.Mk IXs built. This is what we have in AH.

But before you get irritated, there were more than 3,000 much better Merlin 66 or Merlin 70 powered Spitfire LF.Mk IX or Spitfire HF.Mk IXs built.

There were just over 400 N1K2's built and , IIRC, a bit more than 5,000 La-7s built.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2003, 02:51:18 PM »
And of those 5,000 I think what, 180 or so had 3 cannons?  Might have been 280, can't remember correctly.  And every single La-7 in the MA has 3 cannons, at least the ones being flown by people with even an eighth of a brain.  

Regarding your responses-  Of course I know some of the planes out there aren't competitive against anything.  I don't even know why some of them are in the game.  I'm not that familiar with the Mosquito, I don't fly it.  I don't have any trouble killing one in anything, so I'd assume it would be even easier in a Spit/N1K.  The only 109 with a large speed advantage over the Spit IX is the G10.  The rest are fast enough to run away, but not fast enough to build up any kind of speed cushion to play in the vertical with.  Same with the 190s, except none of them can really go vertical on a Spit IX unless they start with an altitude advantage.  Even so, I honestly don't care much about the Spit/N1K's, they are good easy planes to fly and there SHOULD be some planes that allow comparably unskilled pilots to compete on more even footing with everyone else.  

I do have a problem with planes that allow unskilled pilots to dominate anyone else, which is why I'd love to see the La-7 perked to about the Tempest's cost.  The La-7 is the only plane in the game (other than the Tempest) that allows a completely suckass pilot to do whatever he wants and live, against any plane other than a 262 in a crowd, or another La-7 or Tempest.  The La-7 outperforms the Spit 14, F4U-4, and Ta-152... all of which are perked.  Furthermore, it outperforms many planes in the exact same way that say the Me-262 outperforms many planes... except it is better.  

I also don't see what the huge gripe is about the cannon's on the La-7.  Ok, so they aren't Hispanos.  That doesn't mean they suck, they have about the same trajectory as a Mg-151 and hit harder, so 3 of them is more than enough for any kind of kill.  I think thats some lame bellybutton excuse from the La-7 pilots (along with the "well, well, um.. it sucks at 30k!" argument) to try to make it seem like that plane does in fact have some sort of disadvantage vis a vis other planes.

Tilt-  I find it amusing that you apparently haven't discovered the most basic evasive for an el gay 7 pilot yet.  If a P-51, D-9, or 109G-10 (although.. if you can't dive away from a G-10 you are messing something up horribly) is diving with you, once you hit the deck just start turning in circles.  Once you go around 2 or 3 times, straighten out and run, and by the time any of those planes get their guns pointed on you you'll be 2.0k away and accelerating.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2003, 02:54:52 PM by Urchin »

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2003, 02:57:33 PM »
Originally posted by Murdr
Ive never seen someone complain so much about others complaining.  Kind of ironic, isnt it?
It would be ironic if I were trying to get other people's planes of choice turned into perk planes.

I don't expect you to be able to see the difference.

MiniD

Offline bockko

• Nickel Member
      • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blackoutboys/
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2003, 03:12:28 PM »
just curious, how many of the people in this thread have less than a 1:1 kill ratio on the LA7? It is a good plane, but the way it is usually flown never really impresses me. Only prob with it is when you are low/slow and one latches on, but that prob applies to almost all planes.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2003, 04:28:18 PM »
I think a good pilot could go 8 or 9 to 1 in the La-7 without much effort at all.  Probably 80 or 90 to 1 if he flew it like most of the sissy squeakes in the MA fly it.  But just flying it 'normally' like another plane, I'd say somewhere in the 8-10 K/D range would be about right.  Now most La-7 pilots suck so bad they couldn't take anything 1v1...  but how many La-7s do you see flying alone?

Offline icemaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2003, 05:10:54 PM »
Big 4 Last 4 Who cares if a vet cant kill a pony or a lag or a spit or nik in his favorite early war or mid war ride well then he sucks. The only time you have to worry about one of the big 4 is if a skilled vet is flying one. But a skilled vet is prolly gonna get you no matter what hes flying. Or your going to have a good fight. I kill the big 4 all day long in f4u-1 and fwa5s and f6fs. I dont understand the vets with the skills some of you have crying about the big 4 your much too good for that.  Your greatest threat is the lamer that is going to HO you on every pass. Thats a crap shoot you avoid it most of the time but some times that dedicated lamer HO biotch is gonna get you.
  I love getting bounced by high big 4s getting the reversal and waxin them. With out all the lamers flying them. You would run into many more vets in them and then where would you be. In a world of hurt.

Just my opinion but WTF do I know.
Army of Das Muppets     
Member DFC Furballers INC. If you cant piss with big dogs go run with the pack

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2003, 05:16:01 PM »
Murdr,

disagreeing is good :) Spit9 doesn't bother me either, but I wouldn't cry a monsoon if it came with a small tag.

Urchin, I don't think the La-7 "outperforms" the F4U-4. Sure, on the deck it's faster, but the wise pilots learn to keep a harddeck on planes that have high alt advantages. if I get into a 5k firball in a p51, F4U-1-D-C-4, or anything else, then I deserve to get spanked.

No sour grapes here. I enjoy taking the perked rides and seeiong my enemies dive out. I was 32:1 in the hog-4 before my modem crapped out.

I have no solutions, so I guess Im part of the problem, but there should be "some" penalty in ruining an A/C via suicide jabo, or endless furballing. I run the risk 95% of my sorties, so I'm looking for an even playing field.

See you all when I get my internet back...emailing at works gonna get me fired!
Gainsie

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2003, 05:17:26 PM »
Originally posted by Urchin
And of those 5,000 I think what, 180 or so had 3 cannons?  Might have been 280, can't remember correctly.  And every single La-7 in the MA has 3 cannons, at least the ones being flown by people with even an eighth of a brain.  

Regardless of brain capacity I fully agree with this point......

I find it amusing that you apparently haven't discovered the most basic evasive for an el gay 7 pilot yet.  If a P-51, D-9, or 109G-10 (although.. if you can't dive away from a G-10 you are messing something up horribly) is diving with you, once you hit the deck just start turning in circles.  Once you go around 2 or 3 times, straighten out and run, and by the time any of those planes get their guns pointed on you you'll be 2.0k away and accelerating.

Assuming a diving run rather than a low yo yo

If I have not dived at 500 both the P51 and the D9 have caught me.....now I have to scrub speed to gain full stick control while they have very good control ......... this is the la7's most vulnerable period..... ..if I have remained evasive down to 400 then you are right I can simply flat turn or attempt rolling siccors agin the d9 (who may have just zoomed at this point) ........ although if properly flapped the 51 has a few turns on me ...... but usually they zoom now too.

The G-10 can dive with and catch the La7 however it too has lost considerable stick control at the highest speed.

I have no complaints about the La7...... I believe it should have a lower stall point..... however I also believe it should be less stable.......but my evidence for this is not  irrifutable.

I agree that an La7 pilot could BnZ with comparitve safety and never get killed.  He wont get many kills either although he may garner many assists.

It suits players who prefer this style of play and so they prefer it Remove it and they go to another ride and the effect is unchanged.

I get bored with this and so am easily sucked into inappropriate combat with turners or high alt climbs to P51's & D9's etc.

The acceleration is v good but it cant out run a bullet. I have film when I am agin you (p38) where your speed is continuously 15 / 20mph slower than mine yet your turn rate has produced angles my speed cannot overcome........and indeed you did not need to take snap shots you remain guns on for a considerable period.

OK your angles play and  total skill is superior but the point re the advantage of acceleration remains the same. Its advantage is in pursuit not so much defence.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2003, 05:20:18 PM »
Originally posted by icemaw
Just my opinion but WTF do I know. /B]

Good question... :D

Gainsie

PS I dont think we vets are complaining, I'm not, but it is a valid argument. I've lost count of the late war cons that evacuate from co-alt engagements, and that's a drag.