Author Topic: What has happened to AH?  (Read 5094 times)

Offline RightF00T

• Silver Member
What has happened to AH?
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2003, 06:39:34 PM »
Why do they zoom and then run?  Because focusing on one plane will leave you open to your opponents 50,000 other La7 comrades even if you do kill him.  I can't remember one fight in the MA in the past year that hasnt ended in a 1v5/5v1 etc..  People simply dont want to be ganged.  The game is setup to reward the path of least resistance.

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
What has happened to AH?
« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2003, 06:42:03 PM »
A couple of days ago i would have agreed with Urchin...but it's hard cause i've had soooo much fun in the last couple of days.  I've been finding some really good furballs over the last couple of days.....it's been great.:)   I've been being overly aggressive compared to how i fly normally (not that i fly timidly IMO) and been getting lots of kills.  As a consequence i'm not landing many of my sorties (which i usually aim to do).

aah who am i kidding, i've prob just been lucky to get good fights this weekend.   It seems a lot of people just wont engage if they don't have a huge alt adv on u.  I flew the hurri I a bit last tour getting 30 or 40 kills but i just got sick of how people would fight me.  I can take bnz because eventually they'll make a mistake and then i can kill em.  But it seemed that cons would make a pass, mess it up and shoot by me, fly out of icon range, climb 5k, turn around start the whole thing again. :mad:   The only thing worse is when u meet someone co-alt, even tho he must be going atleast 50mph faster than me in my slow bellybutton hurri he runs to friends/ack etc :mad:  It's just so frustrating because he could easily kill me if he tried.....all i wanted was a fight.

So this tour i'm sticking to the spit IX.....mmmmm......spits.:)
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
What has happened to AH?
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2003, 06:47:30 PM »
well gee arlo... I don't know how long it takes but my guess is that to form an opinion you would need to play a moderate amount..  as for being a "hot stick"... I have never claimed to be anything but mediocre at this.

and again... I don't care how anyone plays but I would like the game to be set up to accomadate all styles or as many as possible..  build the close fields and they will come.   put a cv close to a field and you will get players.   the gangbangers and the ones shivering under their bunks can continue to do so... Heck.. they might enjoy that... How would I know?

Give me and my ilk a place to fight and I don't care what the rest of you do.  except to make fun of it of course.
lazs

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
What has happened to AH?
« Reply #93 on: June 08, 2003, 07:28:55 PM »
BTW, Boon'n runners are not a problem at all. They are like nonexistant planes. Every time I see a strato P38/51/47 I usually wait for the first attack to find out what kind of attaker it is: boon'n runner or boon'n zoomer. If the result is boom'n runner, I simply ignore it for the rest of the fight. If the result is boom'n zoomer, then we are in real problems.

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
What has happened to AH?
« Reply #94 on: June 08, 2003, 08:12:23 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2

and again... I don't care how anyone plays but I would like the game to be set up to accomadate all styles or as many as possible..  build the close fields and they will come.   put a cv close to a field and you will get players.   the gangbangers and the ones shivering under their bunks can continue to do so... Heck.. they might enjoy that... How would I know?

Give me and my ilk a place to fight and I don't care what the rest of you do.  except to make fun of it of course.
lazs

you gotta admit it its not an unreasonable request. If you dont like furballing like laz you can simply not fly out of close bases.

Ack-Ack as for perking not being relevant to this discussion I'd simply point you to the ONLY perk aircraft that has once been a non perk and a major pain...the F4UC.
Perking it didnt remove it, it didnt stop anyone but a 2 weeker newbie from using it, It stopped the endless whines, it encouraged players to use the f4ud(or whatever aircraft they discovered they liked) instead , it basically placed a limit on people using it constantly without surviving.The dweebs had to find a new ride.

If 190d9 or la7 or p51d or N1K were say 4 perks you would have to get 3 or so kills before you die in order for it to be worth while.The 'masses' would decide its not as appealing as the next aircraft on the list which is perk free and performs similarly. Once they do this the arena  'typical engagement' changes.by the time we tire of the next aircraft thats overused the la7s and spit9's (by then used far less) would or should imo become free(or very cheap) to use again.

seems to me people claim perks dont work yet have no basis with which to argue the point.The only aircraft thats ever been changed into a perk aircraft was a major success in terms of it went from most commonly used and bane of the MA to a normal and acceptable number of appearances.so to your claim perking doesnt work i say horse**** :) true it wont change behaviour much but without their free fast rides they wont be running so often and escaping will they? We wont have to fly a 1945 aircraft in order to keep in proximity to 90% of the aircraft.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2003, 08:19:37 PM by hazed- »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
What has happened to AH?
« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2003, 08:41:46 PM »
Originally posted by MANDOBLE
BTW, Boon'n runners are not a problem at all. They are like nonexistant planes. Every time I see a strato P38/51/47 I usually wait for the first attack to find out what kind of attaker it is: boon'n runner or boon'n zoomer. If the result is boom'n runner, I simply ignore it for the rest of the fight. If the result is boom'n zoomer, then we are in real problems.

Well hot damn! There ya go! Go ye forth and teach. :)

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
What has happened to AH?
« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2003, 08:52:31 PM »
Originally posted by Batz
Urchin gets 12 kills per hour  and has a kd of about 4. I have seen his kd at 15. Kill per sortie at 2. All without running.

My averages (wotan) were a kd of 3 to 4 and a kill per hour of 5 to 8. There are many others who beat both.

A high kill per hour doesnt mean a lo kd or that you die every sortie. But so what if it does. As Urchin said this is a game and you dont really "die". As I pointed out those arguing against what Urchin said have kds below 1 and kills per hour around 2.

If someone is running, he is denying the enemy a fight - the runner doesn't get a kill. If he is not running, someone is going to die.

Just do the math:

You: K/D 4, 8 K/hr. From this you can easily calculated 2 Death/hr. Sum of kills and deaths shows that you met 10 enemy planes per hour.

Urchin: 12 K/hr, K/D of 12 (for easier calculation). 1 Death/hr, 13 fights per hour.

What you think are the scores of a runner dweeb: 3 K/hr, K/D of 0.5. 6 Deaths/hr, 9 fights per hour.

That's one fight per hour less than you have, but at 6 deaths per hour the "runner" has to fly to the fight every 10 minutes. You cannot earn these kind of stats by running. There simply isn't enough time in an hour to fly to the fight and then extend for a full sector just to auger.

But feel free to stick with your low K/hr equals few fights/hr theory...

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
What has happened to AH?
« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2003, 08:55:45 PM »
For me it has always been,  "Aces High is what you make it."

If I am not having fun doing something, I'll change to something else.  There are sooooo many things to do in AH it is difficult for me to run out of options.  Multi-layered player, I guess.

But not all are like that.  Some just want to bomb, to furball, to tank, to drop supplies.  I believe this is where boredom  and frustration comes it.  I can see where that would be tough.

Oh BTW, thanks to Lazs and Urchin who cleared my six last night!  Dont know why you just got an assist there Lazs?  :)  It was surely your kill!
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
What has happened to AH?
« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2003, 10:18:03 PM »
ccvi I dunno what the hell your talking about but go read what I wrote.

A guy getting 12 kills per hour is fighting. a guy with a high kd and a high number of kills per hour is fighting.

A guy with 2 kills per hour isnt fighting

A guy with 2 kills per hour and a kd of .5 isnt fighting and when he does face the enemy more often then not he catch bullets.

Thats what the stats tell ya.

They may not tell you about skill or ability but they show a clear pattern. 1 kill every 30 min is not fighting.

You could be in 5 fights an hour and be killed 4 times with no kills and kill 2 in the other sortie. You could get those 2 kills in 30 sec. Then spend 5 min for each death and still have 35 min of running time. No planes takes more the 20 min to cross a sector. See i can manipulate the numbers to.

Folks with a high kill per time get in more fights then even their kill per time shows. Just in 12 of those fights they got kills. The rest of that hour they may have been flying to the fight and or chasing a runner. Or involved in a really good fight. No matter how you wanna guage it kills per time is a great indicator of the aggressiveness of the flyer. Runners have lo kills per time. I know I fought one of the runners in this thread and they ran every time.

You can save the euro lessons.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
What has happened to AH?
« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2003, 10:49:07 PM »
What is considered a decent K/T?*

*  Not a troll, please  oh please.. someone give me a straight answer!  :)
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
What has happened to AH?
« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2003, 11:00:24 PM »
just logged into pizza flew a 190a5 to 18k , jumped by la7 and p51 chased down 2 spits joined in and i ended up being chased by all 4. After throwing them off my tail at least once each I eventually ran out of options, anytime i got a shot on one the other three reengaged.result ded.

took a gunner position on a CV. killed a lanc that suicide bombed the CV, a few bombs landed near, killed a p47 that suicided CV bombs dropped just behind but close, killed 2 ju88s suiciding CV, bombs close, then missed a p47 which wonders will never cease, suicided the CV, flew straight into the waterthru the deck. result CV sank.

further result. logged off in disgust. AH2 needs to arrive soon.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2003, 11:04:06 PM by hazed- »

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Re: Re: Some good points have been made...
« Reply #101 on: June 08, 2003, 11:10:29 PM »
Originally posted by Arlo
I understand the claim. And yes, it happens. But there's whiners that'll claim it happens when it actually is a case of disengaging from a disadvantaged state or RTBing damaged or wounded just for an excuse to whine. Hell, there really isn't reason to whine even when it's a case as you stated. Woe-tan can't figure that out ... although I still enjoy hammering it at his forehead. ;)

Whining is just whining.

"No use whining `bout it. No complaints." :D

I know I'm whining but sometimes you just got to vent.

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
What has happened to AH?
« Reply #102 on: June 09, 2003, 12:11:05 AM »
Originally posted by Batz
I know I fought one of the runners in this thread and they ran every time.

This somehow translates to "I don't ever whine" in Bratzspeak. ;)

Ya whiner. :D

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
What has happened to AH?
« Reply #103 on: June 09, 2003, 12:16:56 AM »
Urchin, Batz, Soviet, Heinkel, Brady, AG, and a tonne of other top notch pilots I used to fly with in 2/JG-3.   Half the squad just upped and quit because Aces High has changed.

Brady and I have tried to make it real again in the Combat Theatre - improve gamplay. Bring back the dogfights - the hard earned attacks to capture a base.  Bomber runs.  But the strategy currently incorporated into Aces High is porked.

Urchin is right about the MA. It sucks. Bad.  Dogfights where you could actually run into another squad and duke it out for 30 minutes is virtually non-existant now.

I'm pinning my hopes on AH2.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
What has happened to AH?
« Reply #104 on: June 09, 2003, 12:51:08 AM »
I'm looking for a downside to this. Really I am. I mean ...

1: They'll more than likely all be back in time for the AHII:TOD release which is slated to come out in less than a month.

2: If they don't come back, there'll be a little less whining.

3: If they really feel like the thrill is gone and it ain't coming back then hey ... they did the right thing (for them).

But I don't think I'd bet on AHII:TOD fixing anything that really isn't broken.

The game's fine. The players are fine. I'm sure some true leaders will stick around and foster it (not just whine about it).

And if not, then the players that are having fun will just continue to do so and learn whatever they want to on their own.

*ShruG* Sorry ....

Can't find any sympathy for this right now.

Gimme a couple of months and I may form a regret or two.

But I know they're your friends (hell, I got friends too) so ...

(cues taps)