Author Topic: Most annoying internet mis-spellings  (Read 2945 times)

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Most annoying internet mis-spellings
« Reply #120 on: July 25, 2003, 05:50:35 PM »
The present participle of the verb "to die" is dying. And yet so many people spell it "dieing". Same thing with "to lie" - lying, but some folks put "lieing".

Another one is "lethality" - the extent to which something is lethal. Some people spell this as "leathiality".

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #121 on: July 25, 2003, 06:23:57 PM »
The ability to spell is inversely proportionate to intelligence.

(and I looked all those words up :) )

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #122 on: July 26, 2003, 05:39:12 AM »
Rediculous, rediculolous... only -blitz should be allowed those alternative spellings. ;)

Offline Blank

• Nickel Member
« Reply #123 on: July 28, 2003, 03:50:31 AM »
'Surf the web'

This really annoys me, that they use surfing imagery for the internet. I mean my broadband modem is a 'Motorola SURFBOARD'  :mad:

Now I was a stereotipical computer geek (skinny, glasses) when I was younger and its taken alot of hard work to become a good surfer and loose that geekyness. Now i have to explain myself all the time that when I say 'surf' i mean down the beach in the outside world not sat infront of my PC, all pasty white and geeky like i used to be.  :)

but anyway language evolves, new words are added each year  and meanings change over time.

When was the last time you heard 'bear with me' when you rang a call center and got put on hold.
 I mean they're asking you to have children with them :D
« Last Edit: July 28, 2003, 06:42:35 AM by Blank »

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #124 on: July 28, 2003, 03:54:28 AM »
What do the French geeks think of the government telling them to not use the word (or is it a phrase) 'e-mail'?
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #125 on: July 28, 2003, 04:12:45 AM »
Originally posted by Holden McGroin
What do the French geeks think of the government telling them to not use the word (or is it a phrase) 'e-mail'?

Nada, I've  the can use any word to express myself provided that the person I'm talking to know the word I'm using.

We are just suposed to use a the existing French word when it exist like using "FAC-SIMILÉ" instead of "REPRINT"
or "LOGICIEL" instead of "SOFTWARE".

Only some snob moron speak some "Franglish" like I've heard a idiot say :
"ce produit est very succesfull aux states"
He have to choose between French and English when speaking and not using a sort of Pigin ..