Author Topic: 190A vs SpitVB  (Read 7503 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
190A vs SpitVB
« Reply #240 on: August 01, 2003, 10:37:21 AM »
The mercy shot?

Sure, Funked! Pull the trigger!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
190A vs SpitVB
« Reply #241 on: August 01, 2003, 11:22:08 AM »
If you have two identical planes except one is fitted with a wing that has good low-speed lift/drag ratio while the other had a good high-speed lift/drag ratio. Average drag throughout the speed curve is identical. The first plane would obviously have a better climb rate while the second would have a better top speed. How can you find out how these planes differed in acceleration, zoom climbs, and dives from looking at the speed and climb curves? I don't know?
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
190A vs SpitVB
« Reply #242 on: August 01, 2003, 11:52:52 AM »
The weight GScholz, the weight .... ROFLOL.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
190A vs SpitVB
« Reply #243 on: August 01, 2003, 11:53:54 AM »
"Average drag" is not a useful number.
To solve that kind of problem, you need to create a detailed simulation.  
Which is what Hitech has been doing for 8 years or so.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
190A vs SpitVB
« Reply #244 on: August 01, 2003, 12:53:27 PM »
What part of "one is fitted with a wing that has good low-speed lift/drag ratio while the other had a good high-speed lift/drag ratio. Average drag throughout the speed curve is identical." did you not understand?

Btw. Drag is not shown by a speed/climb chart.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
190A vs SpitVB
« Reply #245 on: August 01, 2003, 03:48:20 PM »
Puzzled by your response, must assume you are speaking to someone else.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
190A vs SpitVB
« Reply #246 on: August 01, 2003, 03:54:28 PM »
Ker-Nul! KER-Nul! KER-NUL! KER-NUL!

Bring him out to the adoring multitudes, Funkmeister!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
190A vs SpitVB
« Reply #247 on: August 01, 2003, 04:14:17 PM »
OK Colonel time.  Nobody should take this personally.  If I don't let him out from time to time he gets cranky.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
190A vs SpitVB
« Reply #248 on: August 01, 2003, 05:59:53 PM »
That would be Oberst to you!

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
190A vs SpitVB
« Reply #249 on: August 01, 2003, 06:05:21 PM »
Btw. what does these calculations have to do with "luftwhining"? I'm still interested in knowing how it's done.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
190A vs SpitVB
« Reply #250 on: August 01, 2003, 06:35:17 PM »
Calculations have nothing to do with the Colonel.  I was just trying to get Toad to leave me alone.  :)

I misread your post I think, I missed the part about speed and climb curves.  You can't do every calculation from speed and climb curves.  

However they do give you some important data.  Climb vs. altitude curves tell you the specific excess power (Ps) at climb speed and ~1g normal load factor.  Top speed vs. altitude curves tell you the speed at which Ps = 0 for 1g normal load factor.  So for every altitude, you get two data points on the Ps vs. speed curve.

You can then use other data about the aircraft (weights, areas, linear dimensions, incidence angles, airfoil profiles, etc.) to estimate the rest of the curve at 1g normal load factor and to determine the curve for different normal load factors.  

Once you have a function which gives you Ps at every altitude and normal load factor, you have a map of the performance of the airplane, which allows you to simulate dive, climb, acceleration, etc. - everything you need to know about the performance of the airplane.

FYI, to give you some idea:
 Ps = (Thrust-Drag)*(Speed/Weight)
(For small climb angles and small thrust angles.)
Also
Ps = Rate of Climb (when Speed is held constant)
Ps = (Acceleration*Velocity)/g  (when Rate of Climb is zero)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2003, 06:43:07 PM by funkedup »

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
190A vs SpitVB
« Reply #251 on: August 01, 2003, 08:45:11 PM »
Toad id agree it seems weight in the tanks seems to counter the drag but would you say the same for the 6 rockets on the wings?
when you consider they are on racks with exposed stablising fins and their weight isnt that great. The bombs , in the case of the P51 are in the same place as the drop tanks and most likely weigh even more(?) so i can see they shouldnt make a huge difference.So we have the case that the P51 (imo) ,after reading the DT thing, without the rockets should be able to dive pretty well but my guess would be the rockets if added would cause problems, be they structural (would the wings possibly break?)or in causing turbulance and drag with resulting reduction in speed.

Of course I could be completely wrong, perhaps the bombs would counteract the drag from the rockets?, perhaps the rockets were designed in such a way that they could be taken up to very high speeds but for me it just doesnt sound right.

As for my approach from 4oc, I was 'in-line' with the P51 already up to speed(as in my nose was pointing the same way his was). I was also close enough for the pilot to panic dive(as in i was almost within a reasonable distance for a shot) If i remember corretly some 600 yards maybe 700 max. Like i said i was closing but i was also closing the distance 'laterally'. I can accept ive missed something, that maybe i havent taken something into account but please remember i have been playing for 3 years. Its not an inconsiderable amount of experience of playing and observing behaviour. This 'felt' so wrong I actually got annoyed which is rare in the D9 as i consider it a superb plane to fly. Generally you feel pretty safe flying it. This was a typical attack really. One ive done a hundred times and one where ive had many different results. Like i stated I didnt at first think it that unusual. I thought the pilot was clever enough to realise if he pushed the speeds up high enough (400+) the P51 starts to enter a area where it has advantage in manouverablility and control. I was expecting him to level off and extend. IF he had done this I think i would have thought nothing of it, but instead this guy continued to dive at this speed (possibly still accelerating long after I had to pull out)and proceeded to drop bombs and fire rockets!!. This was when i suddenly thought hold on a minute! , Im in a CLEAN 190-D9 (generally regarded as an equal to the P51C), 60% or so of fuel so i had some weight too and im locking up and almost shaking to peices and this guy in a P51 is having no trouble outpacing me and even had time to aim and fire rockets off accurately!! Now surely you like me would question whether this is right? I know there are many variables, I know i 'could' have missed something but i really dont think i did. The simple fact of the matter is a P51D with rockets and bombs performed better than a 190-D9 in a high speed dive. This isnt the BMW 801D mentioned in that test of the P51B with DT's, its a faster engine, and isnt it a better aerodynamic shape?

I dont know what else im supposed to do when i notice something like this. Am i really expected to learn how to calculate flight models run hours of tests, research endless piles of books and prove its right or wrong? surely this is what the developers are supposed to do. After all they have far more information than we do, we are PAYING them to play and they would have much more material to work with concerning charts etc.

we are not all professors nor do we always have the time to spend hours researching and testing.Im open to explanations to show the behaviour is correct, I havent as HT says made my mind up and refuse to see otherwise, but i am however of the opinion that this doesnt sound right. In my estimation a clean 190-D9 should be able to catch a P51D in a dive if that P51 is loaded with rockets and bombs, especially in the light that i was imo approaching him at a much higher speed before he initiated that dive. Am i completely wrong for thinking this? was the 190-D9 really so poor compared to even fully loaded P51s? I just cant see it myself. Why would the 190-D9 have had such a name for itself if it was so much worse? very odd.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2003, 09:01:39 PM by hazed- »

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
190A vs SpitVB
« Reply #252 on: August 01, 2003, 09:36:00 PM »
Of course you are wrong Hazed, everyone can see right through you.  HT, please make it so the Dora can turn better than every other plane, accelerate better than every other plane, climb better than every other plane, and has more firepower than every other plane.  After all, us Luftwhiners aren't REALLY interested in how our planes perform, we just want our planes to be the best so we can fill the infidels for our Fuhrer, right Hazed?

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
190A vs SpitVB
« Reply #253 on: August 01, 2003, 10:54:06 PM »
Man, you've got it bad. Really bad.

I admit I've had a few drinks, so I'm not going to dive into that wall of text.

Rocket drag? Let's see.. do they design rockets with as low a drag as possible to increase their range on not?  A cylindrical 5" rocket with skinny little fins or a big iron balloon full of 1000 pounds of TNT...  hmmm, maybe the rockets have more drag.

Do you have any idea what the drag is on a rocket or 6? Neither do I. I also have no idea of the drag of a 1k bomb, do you?

Do either us have anything but mere speculation about this drag that is ruining your life?

I quit reading after the rocket part, sorry.

Cripes ammighty, go get laid!

It's a farkin' GAME lad, a bloody GAME.

Now, I'm off to get laid.

Niters.

BTW, ever done an actualy rejoin? Easy to do right when you know how, just as easy to screw up with a moments inattention.. even when you know what you're doing.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
190A vs SpitVB
« Reply #254 on: August 01, 2003, 11:54:20 PM »
Thanks Funkedup. When I find my old arithmetic books I'll put that to good use! :)

Originally posted by Toad
BTW, ever done an actualy rejoin? Easy to do right when you know how, just as easy to screw up with a moments inattention.. even when you know what you're doing.

Are you talking about air combat or the getting laid part? If it's the former I'm interested in hearing more ... NOT if it's the latter! ;)