Author Topic: Time To Do Away With AWACS Datalink?  (Read 2334 times)

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Time To Do Away With AWACS Datalink?
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2001, 08:12:00 AM »
Definitely in the CT and special events.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2001, 08:21:00 AM »
No dar bar below 500 feet, allow all planes visible at any alt within 25 mile radius at all fields.  What could be more simple?

I'm with ya Funked.

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2001, 09:01:00 AM »
I agree with Rip....<yikes>  :eek:

Offline R4M

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2001, 09:02:00 AM »
I agree with you, Funked. But is a lost battle and we know it  ;). AWACS dot dar is going to stay in the MA no matter what.

I'd like to see the CT modified as you suggested in other thread, and the dar modifications to be carried on there. With so much ppl online as there are lately I'm sure we'd get a decent ammount of guys flying there.

I'd also like to see no dar under 500feet in all arenas.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2001, 09:11:00 AM »
If you go in the middle of sector, you'll see contacts from almost whole sector.

One thing why those sector radars are ridiculous.

adjusting radar to less pinpointing, it would make AH more interesting..  now its just a point towards boredom.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2001, 09:12:00 AM »
Its not lost Ram, HiTech recently posted that he is "thinking about it"...ignore the fact he was thinking about it this time last year.. ;)

Something tells me we need to send him some of his favorite to get his mind thinking harder!  ;)

Offline K West

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2001, 09:25:00 AM »
To the subject line? YES.

Leave bar indicators on but shut off the IFF enabled pinpoint radar in flight.

Westy

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: O'Westy ]

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2001, 09:44:00 AM »
I gotta agree with Westy..

It would also be nice to have the proximity indicator not pick up low cons below 500 AGL.

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2001, 10:03:00 AM »
My personal preference would be dot-dar in the tower, bar-dar in the cockpit except for those under the radar altitude. However, if we have NOE masking from both the dot-dar and the bar-dar, then I think the system should send out a country-wide message whenever your base/city/factory/depot/etc is damaged. Some kind of time-limit would be a good idea, such as only one message every 2 minutes for each base/facility attacked. This would keep the message buffer manageable.
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2001, 06:04:00 PM »
I just got some information that AH will have the ability to disable in-flight radar while keeping it enabled in the tower.  So I retract that part of my whine.  WTG HTC.   :)

If they get the "floor" (minimum altitude) working for the sector bar dar then I will be in heaven.   :)

Offline Soviet

• Nickel Member
      • http://flanker2.8m.net
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2001, 06:39:00 PM »
I like the Dar in the clipboard, it lets me locate fights, if we take it away EVERYTIME someone comes on it would be like "Where's the fight at" "Where's the action at"....... that would be annoying.  Plus i'm sure Germany and Britain had ground radar crews that vectored their planes to the enemies.

Why don't you stop using the radar instead of trying to wreck other peoples fun.

Offline Aiswulf

• Copper Member
      • http://mdiplo.tripod.com
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2001, 06:47:00 PM »
Ahhhh stop whinin Soviet  :)

You forget that if you can see the dots in the sector you can usually see the cons from your cockpit.  So just go where ever you have a large bar-dar and start looking for the cluster of dots in the distance that looks like a small cloud of gnats  :D

In case someone missed it I'm definately pro-quasi-real radar  :)

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2001, 07:50:00 PM »
You guys can go without clipboards, I'm keeping my crutch.

Offline Soviet

• Nickel Member
      • http://flanker2.8m.net
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2001, 08:10:00 PM »
The DAR is a good tool against gangbanging bastages I can't imagine what it would be like without it.

You want to play realistically? We got the CT for that, maybe if you people who want more realism go there we wouldn't have some of these threads.  Stop trying to force the masses to play your way.  We have the CT for extreme realism,  MA for fun.

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: Soviet ]

Offline mjolnir

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2001, 09:34:00 PM »
Well, for the Big Week scenario I know they're screwing with the radar so you only get bars or dots in the tower and nothing inflight, so it's not impossible to do.  Still, I find it handy to be able to tell what fields I can lift a bomber from and which ones are covered in fleas from the hairball next door.

I do like Sabre's idea of only getting dot dar in the tower and bar dar in flight.  That way you'd know generally where to go, and once you're airborne, you'd be able to see where the fight is moving (if at all), but not every individual plane.

As for a 512x512 map....would it really do any good?  Sure, you'd extend the border between two countries a little (double it if all works out right), but that wouldn't stop furballs from happening.  All I see it doing is making the maps much harder to win, and as it is now, they're not changing much.  I could be wrong though; if anyone cares to explain how it would help the game, I'm all ears.