Author Topic: Chute Shooting  (Read 1293 times)

Offline najdorf

• Copper Member
Chute Shooting
« on: August 14, 2003, 02:10:58 PM »
I have noticed several threads on whether or not to shoot a chute, but none on the actual techniques involved.

In my experience, I find that it is bad form to open up on the chute from long range, more than D300.  It is best to aim at the feet first and let the chute gently fall into your line of fire until you get that delightful "POP."

I think it's important to get close so the chutist has no trouble seeing who it is that is shooting him.

The next thing you want to do is watch the channel 1 text buffer for the indignant rant that follows.  Now, it's important to immediately respond on channel 1 that it was a mistake, you didn't mean it.  After the victim has calmed down, immediately ridicule him and state openly and to all that you would gladly do it again.  That usually makes them mad enough to come onto the BBS and post about it giving you another opportunity to further inflame your victim.

Offline ZDS1486

• Zinc Member
Chute Shooting
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2003, 04:00:22 PM »
Ok, here's my opinion:

Frankly, I would love to have people shoot me when I'm slowly falling towards earth (which is several thousand feet below me) when exit in flight is off. I mean, why would you want to wait all that time? Very often I will see players BEGGING to be shot because they can't stand the dreariness of it.

And if exit in flight is turned off, then being shot down while in a parachute just isn't a problem, is it?

And in the occasion of somebody getting mad at you for it, there is no call for you, or anybody, to be aggressive about it. Don't say something like "Haha! I'd do it again anytime!" Just say "Sorry about that." That is almost always enough. And in the rare occasions it isn't, just shoot them down to make them shut up :cool:.

-Ace

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Chute Shooting
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2003, 01:29:18 PM »
lol najdorf...

ZDS...you can always Alt-F4 out and then jump back into the game if there is no-one handy around to shoot your chute.

;)
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline jamusta

• Silver Member
Chute Shooting
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2003, 05:40:16 PM »
I dont understand why people bail. There is only 1 acceptable time to bail and thats when your plane is falling like a leaf. Then you can bail out and not open your chute. You'll reach the ground alot faster.

Offline SpookII

• Zinc Member
Chute Shooting
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2003, 09:54:48 PM »
In my opinion, I enjoyed the days back in Air Warrior when it was considered very poor form to kill a guy in a chute. For me it's part of the simulation to try and survive the mission, even when my plane is going down in flames, as is often the case. It was nice to know, even in virtual air, pilots still maintained a chivalrous ethic. As I'm often shot in my chute nowadays, it still ticks me off, but more than that it makes me wonder what happened to those outstanding pilots I shared the skies with years ago, and I can't help but wonder about the underlying causes for it's acceptance now. So shoot me when I'm hanging from my chute if it makes you feel better. I wont say anything to you about it. But I can guarantee that though I may be the last one who subscribes to the honor code of skies past, you will never have to fear the same from me.

Offline najdorf

• Copper Member
Chute Shooting
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2003, 12:20:18 AM »
Read the opening of the thread, no one is asking your opinion wether or not it's a good idea to shoot a chute, this is a thread about the proper way to shoot a chute.

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
Chute Shooting
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2003, 03:06:13 AM »
I've never tried shooting the canopy of the chute.  Always figured it wouldn't do anything but poke useless little holes.  Anyone ever tried something larger, say 30mm?

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Chute Shooting
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2003, 11:57:48 AM »
a waste of ammo and altitude, go kill a plane.

44MAG

Offline Kaz

• Silver Member
Chute Shooting
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2003, 12:56:41 PM »
Most times I pop chute guys when they linger on the ground too long, especially during a potential base capture or in base defense.

Other times (rarely) I do it coz I'm in the mood to shoot any and anything, too bad killshooter is on in MA. :D

Offline Dennis

• Nickel Member
Chute Shooting
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2003, 02:54:09 PM »
naj, methinks you've been hanging around Arlo too much.  
;)

imho, there's no correct way to shoot a pilot hanging in his chute, but then i generally fly planes without a lot of ammo to waste on such foolishness.

A bailed pilot is no threat (the only way a chute is going to get a kill on you is if you're stupid enough to become a lawndart trying to kill him) so it would seem to be pointless in the context of the game.

however, i understand your post to be a wry commentary on the catterwalling chute-shooting is known to elicit.

So ... whatever floats your boat.

Splash1

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Chute Shooting
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2003, 03:50:54 PM »
Originally posted by SpookII
In my opinion, I enjoyed the days back in Air Warrior when it was considered very poor form to kill a guy in a chute.

I don't know what AW you flew in but the AW I flew in for 8+ years, chute shooting was just as common in there as it is in AH and wasn't frowned upon.  Except by those 'I'm a knight in the sky!" types with a false sense of chivalry.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline spiffykraits

• Copper Member
      • http://home.clara.net/spiff
Chute Shooting
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2003, 03:51:34 PM »
Shoot the man not the canopy (if you realy have to) and you get a nice pop as they go. Shooting the canopy itself doesn't seem to do much. I don't waste my ammo.

Come and shoot my chute anytime - I get down quicker :)

I bail when I'm falling like a leaf with the stab gone, I can bail, and open the chute very near the ground and still beat the plane down. I also bail in a lead buff if it becomes uncontrollable and hop to the next drone quick before they pop.  If someone shoots me -no problem.

The only valid reason for shooting chutes (other than pissing folk off) is when they are hanging near a base and the icon is distracting folk from picking out valid targets, and is a nuisance. Otherwise it's a waste of good ammo.

AW had a command line "/iwanttodie" for those unfortunate souls who bailed very high and left hanging who wanted to get out of the chute. It also had the benefit of a "skydiving setting" in the host where you could control the little man (before opening the chute) steering the x and y axis with the joystick and could travel considerable distances in skydive mode, enough sometimes to avoid the "you have been captured" by skydiving towards and landing in your your own territory providing you were high enough.  I miss that little wrinkle. :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2003, 03:54:12 PM by spiffykraits »

Offline Blank

• Nickel Member
Chute Shooting
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2003, 04:46:48 PM »
was thinking about this today,

G-S's ie gunners, dont you get another kill if you shoot them?

and do they have to be still showing G-S or do you still get a kill if you pop thier chute ?

just wondering :)

Offline WhiteHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Chute Shooting
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2003, 04:17:32 PM »
chute shooters=poodles who wait for a big dogs scrap.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Chute Shooting
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2003, 05:12:38 PM »
bailers = scraps the big dog couldn't fully digest and passed.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.