Author Topic: Just saw Bowling for Columbine...  (Read 1371 times)

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Just saw Bowling for Columbine...
« on: September 18, 2003, 09:57:56 PM »
Funny but shallow and full of poor arguments and illogical reasoning...

One of my favorites is where he points out Canada's higher poverty rates by stating that Canada has twice the unemployment  rate of the USA, mening that we cant explain the US crime rates as a factor of poverty. Of course he does not concern himself or really criticize the disasterous effects of such high unemployment. Then later in the segment he praises Canada for moch higher government concern and spending for social services and social security programs. No doubt his fans will fail to nice the causal relationship between high taxes and business costs required for all those programs and unemployment...  

He also betrays his millionaire limousine liberals incensitivity to real world people in criticizing a US government program that allows poor people access to higher paying jobs. He all but ridiculed one man's efforts to join this program so that he could earn ONLY $2-3 more per hour over the $5.50 wage he could earn in Detroit.. Whats the problem with that, does moore not realize that is basically a 50% increase in this mnas income. But hell if you are rich man like Moore and his Hollywood buddies I'm sure making any effory for a few dollars seems nonsensical and even cruel...

I guess none of this would matter except that Mr. Moore poses himself as some champion of the working people when he is obviously anything but...

Offline Jack55

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2003, 10:16:08 PM »
Rich people and anyone who wants a gun or deals with the military are evil.

Offline Frogm4n

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2003, 10:55:28 PM »
i actually thought it was an interesting movie. But all he did was point out flaws and not offer any solutions.
Roger and Me is by far was his best work to date.

Offline Erlkonig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2003, 11:10:48 PM »
OK GRUNHERZ, at least you didn't cry "it's not a documentary!"

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2003, 11:47:28 PM »
Roger and Me is intersting too and better than this one. But looking back on it he mostly harrases working class security guards, secretaries and lobby attendants through most of the film - the very people he's supposedly representing. Then of course there was that bizzare "meat or pets" scene with the rabbits.

I liked Roger and Me when I first saw it but I no loger find it very meaningful especially since just criticizes and ridicules peoples attempts to solve the problems.

I do wonder what kind of lifestyle Moore lives and how he would respond if some pushy uninvited camera crew was stalking him at home or at work.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2003, 05:53:17 AM »
I'm glad I watched it, so I know what's being talked about. The cartoon sequence was funny in how it depicted America's policy of enslaving blacks in centuries gone by, and how that came back to bite America in the bum.

He could have left out the Lockheed Martin stuff.

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2003, 08:59:22 AM »
Originally posted by Frogm4n
i actually thought it was an interesting movie. But all he did was point out flaws and not offer any solutions.
Roger and Me is by far was his best work to date.

Roger and Me is the whole reason I want to see this one.  The split between seeing what was going on in the community compared to the layoffs was very interesting.

From what I’ve heard though I’m not sure this one is very objective.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2003, 12:49:15 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
I'm glad I watched it, so I know what's being talked about. The cartoon sequence was funny in how it depicted America's policy of enslaving blacks in centuries gone by, and how that came back to bite America in the bum.

He could have left out the Lockheed Martin stuff.

The cartoon was increibly stupid, inncuruate and racist. It basically said that america invented and initated the slave trade and that whites went to africa to "kidnap" people which cannot be farther from the truth as the real slave dealer and "kidnappers" were nearly without exception africans. Of course he also tried to tie the NRA to the KKK which incredibly offensive and innacurate. I have no doubt that thje unducated hollywood set and ignorant euro USA bashers loved that comfortable little history lesson.

Offline lord dolf vader

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2003, 01:34:32 PM »
dont ya hate it when they make slavery look all bad and stuff and make people who see no problem with owning their fellow man seem of questionable moral quality.

take away his oscar!

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2003, 01:40:07 PM »
Originally posted by lord dolf vader
dont ya hate it when they make slavery look all bad and stuff and make people who see no problem with owning their fellow man seem of questionable moral quality.

take away his oscar!

That slavery is bad is obvious, that Americans or even whites in general started the slave trade - as is presented by Moore in the film- is a flat out lie.

Thake your pick...

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2003, 12:18:20 AM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
I have no doubt that thje unducated hollywood set and ignorant euro USA bashers loved that comfortable little history lesson.

I find the irony of this statement to be just a tiny bit hilarious.
sand

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2003, 12:25:18 AM »
Find funny or ironic whatever you want but tell me that you think that little cartoon bit was a good lil history lesson and then I'll enyoy a slight laugh too.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2003, 12:25:42 AM »
I'm betting he takes the lie.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2003, 04:06:59 AM »
I haven't seen Bowling for Columbine, so I can't comment on the film.  However, if what Grunherz says about the cartoon is a fact, that it portrays whites as the only slave owners, then that is a lie.

There were at least 300 black plantation owners in the anti-bellum South.  They were wealthy families and free men.  I don't know how the system was back then for slave owning.  But it must not have been based on race, otherwise how could there be black plantation owners?

There certainly is more to the slavery question than meets the eye.  It is complex, like all important things are.  It should be better researched before showing cartoons and ridiculing a "race" for imprisoning another race.  Don't you think?

Les

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2003, 04:13:40 AM »
Haven't seen it yet, but i guess i'll have to. It must have alot of interesting stuff in it to provoke so many people.