Author Topic: catalina andthe swordfish  (Read 1137 times)

Offline mistblade

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
catalina andthe swordfish
« on: October 01, 2003, 06:04:23 PM »
To be honest the Catalina and swordfish where in the war but thay are slow but good ah2 needs sea planes in it and if you dont agree thats cool and the sword fish is a brit torpedo biplane
now that is a two preson plane it's a wwI biplane but good well dont bs on this or ill close this chat tell me what you think but dont dis me or my thoughts and i know what both planes where used for so :p

mess with the best, Die like the rest.

Offline Monty405

• Copper Member
      • http://www3.sympatico.ca/carol.haynes/
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2003, 07:32:33 PM »
would be nice, if nothing else then as something you can take off from ports with

Offline 6389

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2003, 07:18:53 AM »
i agree with you but there si more thigns to worry about like night fighters and bugs with ah2 to work out

Offline 6389

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2003, 07:20:16 AM »
for the moment:)

Offline Duel1

• Zinc Member
swordfish/catalina
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2003, 07:23:37 AM »
a squadron of swordfish took off from HMS Ark Royal,
and attacked the Bismark, resulting in enough damage for the british fleet to catch it and then sink it
Good plane to be in AH2, The catalina was the plane that actually
spotted the bismark, enableing the Ark Royal to launch its attack of Swordfish onto the Bismark.

Offline AVRO1

• Copper Member
Re: swordfish/catalina
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2003, 06:38:42 PM »
Originally posted by Duel1
a squadron of swordfish took off from HMS Ark Royal,
and attacked the Bismark, resulting in enough damage for the british fleet to catch it and then sink it
Good plane to be in AH2, The catalina was the plane that actually
spotted the bismark, enableing the Ark Royal to launch its attack of Swordfish onto the Bismark.

Only one torpedo did anything if I am not mistaken.

It stuck the ship's lateral control surfaces.

Just a very lucky shot from a plane that should have been removed from service long before the war started.

Offline 6389

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2003, 07:01:39 PM »
so it was very sucessful in a raid on a itailain harbor during ww2 the odds where agsinist them but they won. So it would be sweet ot have the swordfish but a 153 would be good to

Offline mistblade

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
swordfish
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2003, 07:32:31 PM »
frist of all the sword fish hit the rudder of the bismark and ther not to good speed wise so but on
one hand if there was a hole lot a lot a lot there would be a good strike but other words bad now we talk about the cat more o and yes i got thes two planees out of a book calledexploring thr bismark
and remember talk bout the catalina

P.S. "Mess with the best, Die like the rest" teamblade qoute.

Offline Jebo44

• Copper Member
      • http://www.vmf222.com
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2003, 11:23:02 PM »
Numbers of Swordfish to attack the Biz were actually low...I think only 8 or 12 planes.  And all of the planes RTB'd. Only in the Aces High would the aircraft slow speed be a weakness, where as in life that slow speed was a great advantage, yet unrealized by all, but still a great advantage to the SF.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2003, 03:57:45 AM »
The Swordfish was NOT a WW1 Biplane.
Now, raiding Bismarck, they scored another hit, but the belt armor held, - so no damage.
The Prime time of the Swordfish was when attacking the Italian Navy at Taranto, scoring hits on 3 major Italian ships, putting them out of action for a long time. Only 2 planes were lost.
Although slow and out-dated, the Swordfish did its job. It was a very sturdy airplane, and had good handling which helped a lot under tough cirkumstances in carrier operations.
Swordfish to AH? One day, but it'll be a while.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Bronson

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2003, 07:21:04 AM »
Come on, people would fly the Swordfish and then never again.It would be a novelty plane and nothing more.

If theyre going to make a Sea Plane then it should be the Sunderland or Catalina because both could easily hold their own in the MA.

Offline AVRO1

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2003, 07:38:06 AM »
The catalina would be dead meat.

The Emily might have a slight chance of surviving and it outperforms the Catalina in almost every category.

In AH the swordfish would be worst then dead meat.
It is barely faster then WW1 planes.
It as weak defense.
Its toughness would be useless against CV ack.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2003, 07:39:41 AM »
Catalina? How much of a chance if you get bounced?
At least the Swordfish would have a chance, - the thing would out-turn almost anything we have in AH. Still, so can the Val....
Now a Sunderland, - that's a different story. Massive and rugged and heavily armed.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2003, 12:46:07 PM »
And there's two distinct mentalities when it comes to aircraft and vehicle additions to AH as well. One thinks primariliy in terms of how the addition would perform in the MA. The other thinks in terms of how much of a benefit the addition would be to historical scenarios and CT planesets. Given HT's dream of TOD (which this particular forum is dedicated to), I wouldn't be surprised to see some "lesser performing" planes added to the game. Just like it would make sense to add the Sherman tank for both TOD and Western European scenario setups even though the Panzer has a slight edge and the Tiger really overpowers it. After all, the MA already has the lion's share of high performance and all planes and vehicles are available to all chesspieces. Truly an "immersive" enviroment. Ahem. ;)

Offline F4i

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.ghost-squadron.org/main/frame.html
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2003, 02:13:43 PM »
slow sea planes would just be another set of targets for us to shoot down.  and, the CV ack in AH would rip 'em to shreds.

TBolt