Author Topic: Holier Than Thou  (Read 2067 times)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Holier Than Thou
« on: October 04, 2003, 09:09:07 AM »
« Last Edit: October 04, 2003, 05:08:20 PM by Sandman »
sand

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Holier Than Thou
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2003, 12:38:05 PM »
I grew up Catholic, it is hilarious.

Offline wklink

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.simhq.com
Holier Than Thou
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2003, 01:12:39 PM »
I chuckle a little bit, I am Catholic but I wonder....

What is the difference between this and some of the less than glowing representations drawn about Jews in the 1930's.  I am sure people chuckled at that as well.  You know where that kind of religious intolerence led.

Catholics seem to be a pretty easy target these days.  Some of it is their own fault, I admit but some of it is just a blatent attack against a religious group that some feel isn't 'progressive' enough.

I don't mind a little bit of parody, I love some of the Monty Python stuff and I even laughed at "Dogma' but you have to wonder when are they going too far.
The artist formerly known as Tom 'Wklink' Cofield

Offline k2cok

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Holier Than Thou
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2003, 01:36:39 PM »
« Last Edit: October 04, 2003, 03:18:05 PM by k2cok »

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Holier Than Thou
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2003, 01:50:34 PM »
Originally posted by wklink
What is the difference between this and some of the less than glowing representations drawn about Jews in the 1930's.  I am sure people chuckled at that as well.  You know where that kind of religious intolerence led.

The difference? The Nazis attempted to categorize Jews as a race.
sand

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
Holier Than Thou
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2003, 02:16:42 PM »
Wow, bigotry is alive and well in America.  Whatever happened to tolerance?

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
Holier Than Thou
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2003, 02:19:49 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman_SBM
The difference? The Nazis attempted to categorize Jews as a race.

Of course, one of the liberal PC tenets is that race, gender, sexual preference, religion, etc, all have the same status.

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
Holier Than Thou
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2003, 02:22:38 PM »
Where's the ACLU on this one?  

Religous art does not belong in public places!

Unless of course, it denigrates an unpopular religion.

I guess I'll get to work on my "AK-Toting Imam" sculpture, I'm sure you guys won't mind that either.

:rolleyes:

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
Holier Than Thou
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2003, 03:34:49 PM »
Originally posted by FUNKED1
Of course, one of the liberal PC tenets is that race, gender, sexual preference, religion, etc, all have the same status.

natuarlly...and anyone who thinks otherwise is a racist or a bigot...

looks pretty funny to me...and im catholic...

art is art...next youll be saying we have to change the chess peices because of the religious context

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Holier Than Thou
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2003, 03:53:39 PM »
Where's the ACLU on this one?  

Religous art does not belong in public places!

Unless of course, it denigrates an unpopular religion.

I guess I'll get to work on my "AK-Toting Imam" sculpture, I'm sure you guys won't mind that either.

:rolleyes:

Keeee-rist Funkypants.  Pull yer panties outta yer crack.  Bigotry?  That's almost funny.  How do you know what this artist is bigoted against?
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Holier Than Thou
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2003, 04:15:26 PM »
The ACLU only picks the ones in line with their liberal agenda. Occassionally they'll support some conservative case to keep up a token appearance of objectivity.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
Holier Than Thou
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2003, 04:19:57 PM »
A college campus is displaying that statue on the grounds?  That's just sad.

MiniD

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Holier Than Thou
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2003, 04:25:55 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron
The ACLU only picks the ones in line with their liberal agenda. Occassionally they'll support some conservative case to keep up a token appearance of objectivity.

Please cite examples.
sand

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Holier Than Thou
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2003, 04:27:25 PM »
Wow, bigotry is alive and well in America.  Whatever happened to tolerance?

I fail to see what bigotry has to do with this sculpture.

"The artist says, I was brought up Catholic. I remember being 7 and going into the dark confessional booth for the first time. I knelt down, and my face was only inches from the thin screen that separated me and the one who had the power to condemn me for my evil ways. I was scared to death, for on the other side of that screen was the person you see before you."
sand

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
Holier Than Thou
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2003, 04:32:39 PM »
That's an evil looking bishop for sure.  The artist is making his statement and probably basing it on the recent scandals.  I'm sure it does offend some folks who are good Catholics.  But don't blame the artist on this one.  It's a satirical artwork, and pretty mild compared to some of the etchings Goya did (late 1700s) concerning the Catholic Church and some of the things they did during the Spanish Inquisition.  They were going to execute Goya for painting nudes!!!  Gosh, he painted unflattering portraits of the king and his family, and even they didn't mind...they thought the paintings were great.

When Goya was called before the inquisition, he flat out told them only a dirty mind would see anything evil with God's creation of woman, and artists painting that beautiful creation.  Besides, he told them, he didn't paint nudes for yokels to gape at!!!  The king stepped in and saved Goya's life...under normal circumstances the Inquisition held authority over the king.

Concerning this particular sculpture.  If Catholics don't like it...and they shouldn't...then maybe they ought to see to it artists don't have cause to do artwork satirizing leaders of the church, and take bishops to task for allowing some priests to continue with hypocritical practices like molesting altar boys.  If I was Catholic, I'd be mad as hell discovering I had confessed my sins to such a priest.  What gives them the right?

This needs to be out in the open and dealt with.  Otherwise it will destroy the Catholic Church eventually.

Les