Author Topic: Rush is a Fool  (Read 2288 times)

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #105 on: October 04, 2003, 09:20:37 PM »
So you're okay with Rush thinking McNabb is overrated?  Why all the Gruden quotes?

If McNabb is overrated, then why?

Which brings us back to the point.  Whether it is wrong to overrate Jason Sehorn because he is a white player playing in a stereotypically black position is irrelevant.  If you think people may root for him or exaggerate his contribution for that reason, why exactly is it wrong to voice that opinion?

Stating that opinion does not mean you think he shouldn't have the job, that he got the job because he is white, or that you don't think he is the best person for the job.  It means you don't think he is as good as he is made out to be, and that some people support him for that reason.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #106 on: October 04, 2003, 09:23:55 PM »
Originally posted by Fatty
So you're okay with Rush thinking McNabb is overrated?  Why all the Gruden quotes?

If McNabb is overrated, then why?

I'm okay with Rush saying mcnabb is overated, but that isn't what he said

"Which brings us back to the point. Whether it is wrong to overrate Jason Sehorn because he is a white player playing in a stereotypically black position is irrelevant"

But saying that he isn't good and is a cornerback because he is a product of the media wanting a white cornerback to succeed is relevant.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2003, 11:35:13 PM by Sixpence »
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #107 on: October 04, 2003, 09:43:34 PM »
Okay, this may crush your idealistic world, but it does happen.  When the media can create a human interest story, it is profitable to do so.  It is not always the case, but to mute speech on the subject entirely is, I don't know, right wing of you?

Tommy Morrison was overhyped by the media because they wanted to create a great white hope, as is any white heavyweight who makes it a couple of months without being knocked out.  Oh goodness, I've taken everything he's ever accomplished away from him because of the color of his skin.

Tiger Woods wasn't overhyped because he really is that good, but the media didn't milk the color issue for all it was worth?  Gosh, can I say that?

I think Sehorn really was that good, but after they tore him up returning kicks during that preseason game he hasn't been the same.  He is the only cornerback to appear on Third Watch I think.  Golly, was that racist?

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #108 on: October 04, 2003, 09:53:28 PM »
I think Sehorn really was that good, but after they tore him up returning kicks during that preseason game he hasn't been the same.  He is the only cornerback to appear on Third Watch I think.  Golly, was that racist?

So you would not agree if I said sehorn was not a good cornerback from the "get-go", and was overated because the media wanted to see a white cornerback succeed?

And plz don't compare the NFL to boxing.

Look, if he had said that Mcnabb was overated and the defense carried the team, that would be legit. But he brought his anti-black agenda into it. That was wrong.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2003, 09:56:07 PM by Sixpence »
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #109 on: October 04, 2003, 10:00:13 PM »
No I wouldn't agree, I don't agree with Rush's assessment either.  More importantly I'd just take it as an opinion and move on.

So you don't think the things I said were racist, but because you believe Rush has an Anti-Black agenda he should not be allowed to say them?

Or am I racist because of my previous post?

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #110 on: October 04, 2003, 10:10:05 PM »
No I wouldn't agree, I don't agree with Rush's assessment either.  More importantly I'd just take it as an opinion and move on.

So you don't think the things I said were racist, but because you believe Rush has an Anti-Black agenda he should not be allowed to say them?

He can say what he wants, right or wrong. Should he be allowed to spew his agenda on NFL countdown? No, I do not agree. Keep it to football, not politics. Save it for his radio show where it belongs.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #111 on: October 05, 2003, 01:46:12 AM »
Geez louise!  The only group Rush slammed (other than saying McNabb was over-rated) was the media, and in doing so he basically called the MEDIA racist (oh NO.. reverse racism?... there's no such thing!) and the MEDIA immediately turned HIM into a racist by redefining what he said to meet thier own agenda.... it's what they do, get over it.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline drone

• Copper Member
Rush is a Fool
« Reply #112 on: October 05, 2003, 07:01:40 AM »
Ya know if affirmative action was  a "real" thing then %'s would be a "real" factor.