Author Topic: Ram  (Read 188 times)

Offline airbumba

• Silver Member
Ram
« on: October 13, 2003, 11:24:55 AM »
Hey Folks:

I know my machine is no gamer, but while waiting to put together a real one, I would like to add some RAM, but I'm having trouble, maybe you folk could help.

My specs. Netvista with Celeron 950 Mhz., 2X128 Kingston pc133 SDRAM, Radeon 7000 PCI 64 Meg card, high speed cable using Intel ethernet card (pings from 25 to 60 on an average day) and the OS is XP that came preinstalled by IBM.

OK so I went to the IBM site and found out that my system could only take 512 Meg of RAM max. It said any configuration using 256 sticks max. So for now I purchased a Kingston RAM 256 meg to add to one of the 128's already installed. I treid every conceivable slot configuration, alone in #1 slot, alone in #2 slot, #1 slot with 128 in #2 slot...etc...etc.  No joy. The sysytem doesn't even boot when that 256 is installed.

My questions:
I used Kingston KVR pc133/256 RAM, yet when I check the IBM replacement part and cross ref. it with the Kingston site, it tells me to use KTMpc133/256 RAM. So I called back the store and the dude said that KVR is Kingston Value Ram and it is the same as the KTM, in fact he doesn't even carry the KTM. Is this true? The other fact is that it came with KVR RAM installed, mind you only the 128 meg sticks, could the bigger RAM need to be KTM? While the smaller KVR rAM works?

The other thing I noticed is that I only have a 155W power supply, I'm no computer wiz, but isn't that real small? Jeeez, my PI 100 had a 250W supply and that thing is 10 yrs old.
Questions:
Could the lack of power cause RAM not to be detected, or would it just work poorly?
Is the lack of power slowing my vid card?
and I have a power supply from 1996, 200W, is it interchangeable with this one?

Thanks a lot in advance.

I know the real answer is to build a gamer box, and when I will start buyin the parts, I will ask here first what to buy.
Thanks again.

Bumba
I used to be a fatalist,
but that part of me died.