Author Topic: SWING.....and a miss, looks like we're missing the point folks  (Read 528 times)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
SWING.....and a miss, looks like we're missing the point folks
« on: October 28, 2000, 05:19:00 PM »
Had to post a note of thanks to the crew at AH...in less than a year they've changed the entire price/product model for their industry. As a business owner I recognize the magnitude of this achievement. As a customer I understand that that in the end I'll win no matter what happens.

When this product hit open beta my choices were limited to a couple $9.95 "arcade" sims and a pay per hour product that would cost me $200-300 when in "binge" mode. Since then a lot of folks have talked the talk, but only HT, Pyro and crew have walked the walk. They've delivered on every promise that they made the flight sim community. Do I agree with everything...of course not...I still think the hog FM is an abberation. But dollar for dollar this is a great value.

Now lets think about the future, the goal is to find the ideal price/product break point. Not an easy task to under take, go to low you can't support the product, to high you lose members. Based on everything I've seen I suspect AH will continue to try and offer the best deal possible...for everyone...including the ownership of Aces High.

In the meantime, thanks again for following your dream. I and every member of the online flight sim community has reaped a tremendous benifit from your efforts regardless of which product you patronize.

All the Best

Dave Rima

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2000, 05:34:00 PM »
All comes down to one thing, humble:

Why am I paying more than other guy for the same service?...

I too agree that HTC is a great company and that AH is the best online sim out there.

(I also agree that the Hog FM is an aberration    )

But, while I agree on that ,I deeply disagree with the money thing. And in the end is our pockets what keeps AH alive...why must I charge with a bigger part that other?...more knowing that I have been supporting AH since it went out of beta, with my limited money, why must I pay now more than other who has not?

Well my point is well stated in previous threads. No need to repeat them.

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2000, 05:38:00 PM »
  Ill drink to that.

I can now play a PREMIUM sim and not have to watch the clock debuating if I should log or not. I can grab all the alt I want without worring about how much its costing me. Now even though I hardly ever disco, when I do I dont give a crap cause it didnt cost me anything. Yea sure the other one is flat rate now too, but would it have been if HTC hadnt set the trend? Not a chance.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2000, 05:47:00 PM »
To me it's a matter of perspective. Certain players are getting a discounted rate...for a specific reason. Over time (a few months I'd bet) all of us should benifit from a new rate (if feasable).

Now, if AH developes some kind of variable pricing plan, they'll lose market share among those who've been abused (and others who haven't).

I recognize that many members of the community feel cheated somehow, I'm just pointing out the tremendous upside to this sim. I seriously doubt that HT,Pyro and crew will squander the initiative they have. I think they've hit a sound stratagy to explore some very real business issues as cost effectively as possible.

In the end business is a lot more fun when your cashing checks instead of writing em, I'm sure they'll find a solid win/win price point for all of us.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

eye

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2000, 05:50:00 PM »
I play h2h now. Why?

70$ cdn to hook up to ah.

19.95 sounds good.

$10 us $15 cdn sounds much better.

Why not try to put those other sims out of buisness?

4 more are coming online soon.

Knock them out before they get a foot in the door.

Ah is the best sim out now with the best service i agree.

Why not try to get bigger?

Im as hard core a flight simer as anyone who flies here. The ah price after 8 tours made me leave.

I believe that if ah does not lower its price some one with a comperable sim will.

EYE <--flying h2h but waiting for ww2 online or IL2 to go open beta.

Offline bowser

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2000, 05:53:00 PM »
Well said humble, I agree completely.  You have to look at the big picture and a few months down the road.  The opposing point of view (as stated by RAM) is quite clear also, but somehow looks very short-sighted and selfish in comparison.

bowser

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2000, 05:54:00 PM »

Originally posted by eye:
$10 us $15 cdn sounds much better.

Why not try to put those other sims out of buisness?

10$/month is one third of 30$ (hey! I did that with no calculator!  ). so to keep the same cash flow going into their pockets, HTC needs 3 times the player base it has now.

Impractical. we aren't enough hardcore sim lovers out there to make 10$/month rentable.

I think that the most probable chance is the 20$/month option. but then we will know that a lot of people is flying with cheaper accounts...

Big can of worms we got here...

eye

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2000, 06:12:00 PM »
I flew for jg26 in aw3. We had 30 + guys on squad in the fr arena.

I bet no one would stay if they had a choice.

Aw regularly had 400 playing at once for10  $us.

Steal all of their customers.

No one flies fr aw3 because of the game now.
Its because they cant see paying 24.95 19.95 or 29.95.

What about ien how many like myself cant stand that company?

Steal their customers.

What about ww2 online soon to be open beta?
The comunity without a game. Steal their customers.

Dont let il2 get a start lets all play together.
Lets see whos the best.

EYE

Stan

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2000, 06:35:00 PM »
Warbirds $24.95 unlimited play. UDIE siad that 9.95 single arena realism play is coming around the corner.

Offline newguy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2000, 06:57:00 PM »
eye, I only pay $42 CDN a month to play (thats what it was last month, with the fluxuations who knows for the next month eh?). Are you including internet hookup in that $70? And no, I aint on one of these discount subscriptions  

newguy
The Wrecking Crew

Offline minus

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2000, 07:28:00 PM »
HTC fix the planes ad many many planes if we have 100 of them ships tanks guns .......
continue where u will u can even RISE the Price !!!! but doit FAST plzzz for now i dont get what i wont  

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2000, 07:47:00 PM »
RAM,
You, I and others are paying more because HTC is conducting sales research.  They are trying to find out if a lower price is viable.  Offering that lower price without finding out if it is viable would be foolhardy and possibly put them out of business.  Giving that lower price to guys like you and I would not provide HTC with the info they are looking for.  They want to know if lowering the price would have a corresponding increase in subscribers.  The only way to find that is to offer subscriptions, at a lower rate, to people who tried it and didn't subscribe and to people who subscribed and then canceled.  They already KNOW that you, I and others like us would subscribe at the lower price because we are subscribed at the higher price.  If the research proves that the lower price is as good or better for HTC's business as the current price, then they will lower it for all of us.  If it does not prove to be viable, then they will still be in business and we will not see the lower rate.

They have to be allowed to get the info they need to make the service better without betting the farm at unknown odds.

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

eye

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2000, 09:25:00 PM »
yep thats my isp too.

I also had to upgrade cpu too play.

EYE

Offline PC

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2000, 09:46:00 PM »
Karnak....FLAG  for the use of logic and Fact here.\

10 yards...

PC  

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2000, 10:29:00 PM »
about World War II on-line.....don't bet the farm that it will be available soon, or ever.  someone connected with esprit de corps is beta testing now......seems they have a big warp problem that might not be solved for quite a while....if ever.
- The Flying Circus -