Author Topic: Countdown!  (Read 575 times)

arhurb

Countdown!
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2000, 09:14:00 AM »

Originally posted by banana:
Me not agree with Thog. Thog use stereotype. Bad Thog.

Sorry Thog, I just love your callsign.

Thog, you have the right to believe that we are just a bunch of Bible-thumping evangelists, who are afraid that society is being broken down by the evil of profanity.

But that doesn't hold any more water than us believing that all the guys using profanity are complete cretins, trying to ruin the world with their lack of verbal choices.

Oh btw, getting back to Sorrow's original post...Sorrow was the guy that told me to "go kick my snot-nosed little brat in the head", and to "blow him". Can't say I'm surprised to read his reaction to the filter.

You are limiting verbal choices yourselve...only the ones not right, on your own point of view. Not saying that I like swearing, but IMHO, It's even worse to have others deciding what is or not acceptable, and forcing anyone to behave like you think they would.

It is harder to understand when you could have client side filter, and you oppose so vehementely (spelling?). As I posted in another thread, can't see (as of yet) ANY serios reason not to have it on the client side. Anything monitored by the server, can be as well by the client. Only downside is that you would have to accept that not anyone is behaving (and talking) as you would like.

All censorship supporters say that dirty language is unacceptable by:

a) Unpoliteness
b) Harm produced to children
c) Lack of social abilities
d) Plain disgusting

or some combination of any of the latter.

Client side filter could bypass all of it. I'm not saying that excesses should be allowed, even less encouraged, but HTC has been masters in controlling this (sorry to say that, but only up to this point). Now I have the feeling that their focus is lost.

I have the school playground feeling. I have nothing to hide myself, I do not swear, but, until somebody enlighten me with some weighted reason why a censor is prefereable to self control (I'm meaning own client profanity -or whatever- filter) I will think that you are not Bible-thumping evangelists, but Samaritans who are keen to search for the straw in the other's eye, and your top priority is focused on not letting the others to do wrong (what you think it might be), instead of trying to do the proper thing yourself.

Cheers,

Pepino.

P.S.: Sorry for long post. My english is not good enough to put this in brief (prolly to put this, period).

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
Countdown!
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2000, 09:37:00 AM »
#1 argument for server-side filter:

HTC doesn't want the behavior anywhere on their server. IF that should change, then client-side is an option.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Countdown!
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2000, 11:38:00 AM »

#1 argument for server-side filter:

HTC doesn't want the behavior anywhere on their server. IF that should change, then client-side is an option.

Except, of course, on squad channel.  I guess its changed.. eh keiren?

AKDejaVu

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
Countdown!
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2000, 11:55:00 AM »
I was speaking in the hypothetical- as in, if activity is occuring that HTC doesn't want, it shouldn't happen anywhere. It is a response to someone who might say "I can't think of one reason to have a server-side filter".

My argument remains the same. I never once stated that client-side wasn't a possibility, though you seem to make it sound that way.

One thing I won't champion is the right for people to be vulgar on a privately owned server. Do you?

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Countdown!
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2000, 12:13:00 PM »

One thing I won't champion is the right for people to be vulgar on a privately owned server. Do you?

Wait.. is it being vulgar or cursing we are talking about?  Is this BBS considered part of a privately owned server?  If so, most people seem to think the AH arena is different than here.  Of course, there is no charge for visiting this site.  Though, I doubt people come here and see all this "high moral fiber" and decide wether or not to visit the game arena itself.

How about this:

If there is a means to filter out cursing for those that want it, I am all for it.

If it is something that can actually kick you out of the game if you say "ass" too much, I am not.

I've been on when people were cursing profusely.  None of it was as offensive as the tones in most of these posts.  Cursing is not the problem.

AKDejaVu

arhurb

Countdown!
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2000, 02:15:00 PM »
Kieren,

Maybe by your standards "HTC don't like" is a weighted reason. I can see that is the ultimate reason, but not a weighted one. Probably my English is not good enough so I can't make my point totally clear. With weighted I mean a reasonable one, and of course we can conclude with "is HTC choice", but, given the high level of customer attention that HTC provides, I think that particular one is not valid by HTC standards.

Cheers,

Pepino.

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
Countdown!
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2000, 03:39:00 PM »
I haven't been muted yet, and HEY, Im still having fun!!!

I did type "woody" though.  HeHe!  
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
Countdown!
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2000, 04:06:00 PM »
Ten years ago our old comp.system got some nasty habits:
Once my old boss almost throw whole pc out of window because after he did some mistakes when typing in some data the message appeared in the screen: IDIOT

I still believe our old mp-system was better than our new SAP R/3  
(at least it got inbuilt Yatzy  )

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
Countdown!
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2000, 05:22:00 PM »
AK-

Not trying to go 'round-and-'round with you... I have agreed with most of your points, and said so many times. I 100% agree it is the intent of the message that is important, not the verbage. Still (especially after Hitech's latest post) I believe HTC placed the filter on the client side because they wanted to diminish the inappropriate behavior on their service, not just protect a few people from some bad words. And as I stated earlier on the BBS, perhaps the words themselves shouldn't be the target, but it does seem the people most likely to be abusive also use the language.

I don't know how my postings on the topic can be so misunderstood.

Sorrow[S=A]

Countdown!
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2000, 07:21:00 PM »
Hey! it's you! wonderfull that you would pop up!

Yes I said exactly that. After chasing a lanc up to 34,000 feet and getting plastered trying to shoot him down- I called him on it and swore my head off. It was emotional- I am not terribly happy I said it..

THEN I got the moral high ground come running down after me like dogs. And yes I said exactly that: If your whoopee kid is reading it kick the snot brat in the head. AND I STAND BY IT. If your kid was reading that and you let him get them out of the room. I play a game with adults- not 10 year olds. If I blow up over something I could really care less about somebody whining that their kid can read a few nasty words.

Offline goat10

• Zinc Member
      • http://members.home.net/goat10/index.htm
Countdown!
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2000, 07:51:00 PM »
Sorrow,
Sorry to here you think that way, this game is open to all not just you. I you can't behave like an adult then see ya later.   I can understand you getting emotional after a hard fight, but insulting kids?   I have to agree with Kieren about the overflowing of bad attitudes in the game. I think from what I just read yours is up on the list. If you don’t like the mute then don’t swear, as a compliment or chastising simple.  

------------------
I Hate It When That Happens!

[This message has been edited by goat10 (edited 09-25-2000).]

Offline Thog

• Zinc Member
Countdown!
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2000, 09:17:00 PM »
banana;  Actually, I never implied that the bible or a religious motive was involved.  That's common, but the attitude is not unique to the religiously conservative, and I've stopped assuming that religion is either the deciding factor or even really relavent.  I really couldn't care less what the motivation for global text (word or statement) blocking is, I just don't personally like the approach.  I do think between squelch and the idea of a client-side block you'd be able to protect your son quite well.  But I don't feel it's reasonable for you to attempt to muzzle me in public because you don't like what I have to say or how I say it.  Pretty straightforward in theory, sometimes sticky in practice, but I feel that the theory is extremely important and needs to drive the practice.  So say Thog, on of 6 billion trying to live his life as best he can.  <G>

Sorrow... heh.  We stand on the same side of the line on the censorship issue.  However, just for the record; that last statement of yours demonstrated admirably what I meant when I said that some of the things said on this board appall me, regardless of specific verbage.  On the otherhand as long as you don't actually touch his son, you can merrily espouse your feelings on good parentage and I will happily ignore you.  No harm done.  <g>

Thog

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Countdown!
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2000, 09:28:00 PM »
"I play a game with adults- not 10 year olds." - Sorrow

Says who?

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Countdown!
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2000, 12:01:00 AM »

Originally posted by Sorrow[S=A]:
Hey! it's you! wonderfull that you would pop up!

Yes I said exactly that. After chasing a lanc up to 34,000 feet and getting plastered trying to shoot him down- I called him on it and swore my head off. It was emotional- I am not terribly happy I said it..

THEN I got the moral high ground come running down after me like dogs. And yes I said exactly that: If your whoopee kid is reading it kick the snot brat in the head. AND I STAND BY IT. If your kid was reading that and you let him get them out of the room. I play a game with adults- not 10 year olds. If I blow up over something I could really care less about somebody whining that their kid can read a few nasty words.

Thank you sorrow for posting a WONDERFULL justification for the filter. I don't feel I should have to kick my kid out of the room because you wish to expose your anus / brain on the buffer. There is no reason why my kid should have to leave the room inn my house because you just have to use inapropriate language. If you want to play an adult game, act like one. The internet in general and AH in particular is open to kids and adults, even adults who act like kids.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

funked

Countdown!
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2000, 12:07:00 AM »
The Arena is HTC's place of business.  It's just like a restaurant or a night club or a country club.  If you go to a place like that and start cursing out the other customers you will find yourself out on the sidewalk with a sore bellybutton PDQ.  

Would you rather get that treatment or the relatively mild filtering that we have now?