Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10
Aces High General Discussion / Re: Back in the Saddle Again
« Last post by Banshee7 on Today at 09:53:47 PM »
Glad you got your rig up and running and everything was still there!
Aces High General Discussion / Re: Back in the Saddle Again
« Last post by Animl-AW on Today at 08:15:13 PM »
BTW, 8pm CT, 110+ in MA.....which isn't horrible, considering what some were erroneously spewing.
Aces High General Discussion / Back in the Saddle Again
« Last post by Animl-AW on Today at 07:59:54 PM »
3 weeks after taking a surge from a lightning strike 70' from my window, the Dell XPS beast of burden is up and running. Everything on the drives intact as was before the strike.
Dell PSU and Main Board are proprietary products, which means more expensive. :(

Took it step by step, hoping to save money, no joy.
Ordered and Replaced fried Dell PSU ($250) - no joy
Ordered and replaced the Dell MB (used $300), fired right up as if nothing happened at all.

Was playing AH 10 min later.
All video work still as was.

Despite the cost, I was very lucky. My gaming computer in 2010 lightning cooked everything in it. Surprised my stick survived that, as it was connected.

Getting a Power Conditioner. Basically it's much like a isolation transformer for audio signal. It works much better than just a surge protector.
Also known as a line conditioner, it protects equipment from power surges, helps to correct voltage and waveform distortions, and removes external electrical noise (i.e. frequency and electromagnetic interference) caused by devices such as radios and motors. It will keep the flow at a specific ohms and if it goes over that it blows instantly. In a surge protector it has to wait to get hot enough to blow the breaker, by then the spike has passed through and damage is already done. Many times the breaker won't even blow, never seen one save anything.

Edit: Ironically, as soon as it was up and running I heard thunder in the background, couldn't yank that AC cable fast enough lol.

ANYWAY, back in the sky.
The O' Club / Re: Prebuilt PCs
« Last post by Skyyr on Today at 07:44:47 PM »
My claims are only outrageous to you because you lack the life experience to understand. 
Not having the chops or experience to argue a subject should be a raging clue to stop.

Says the guy who claimed PC part manufacturers lead consumers up a "blind valley." I say that with countless PC parts on a table next to me. My 15 year old neighbors kids build their own PCs too.

Here you are doing the same thing in-game: getting your butt handed to you on a platter, meanwhile you blame the game's sloppy physics while claiming you've flown real aerobatics and can do the thing in real life, lol (see a pattern?).

Go to 34:00 if you want to see that quote, but watch from the beginning if you want to see almost an hour of fumbling and excuses and poor flying.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OM0F3BgDMl0

You're the one without experience in virtually everything you try to lecture people on; and predictably, you try to insult others and claim you're actually more experienced in real life (most of the time, you're laughably not) when called on it. You even did that exact thing when you failed to get a single kill in a duel: you claimed you were faaar more experienced and an actual expert and it's the game that's wrong, not your flying lol.

Your replies in this thread are no different. You got caught lying, claiming PC manufacturers purposely obscure options and confuse the consumer. Maybe it's difficult for you and your senility, but that isn't the norm. So what did you do? You claimed you're an expert IRL and tried to divert about overclocking. Sorry, that isn't going to fly here.

PC building isn't hard for others nor do manufacturers obscure the parts compatibility. You might find it hard (like most everything else), but that doesn't make it true or the norm for others.
« Last post by icepac on Today at 07:34:06 PM »
I’m sure other ham radio guys saw crystals on early motherboards and saw the ability to control motherboard speeds.   

My claims are only outrageous to you because you lack the life experience to understand. 
Not having the chops or experience to argue a subject should be a raging clue to stop.
« Last post by Meatwad on Today at 07:29:50 PM »
I had a 286 desktop that had a turbo button on it that when pressed would increase the cpu from 10 mhz to 15, with a handy number segment display what would give you real time cpu speed
« Last post by Skyyr on Today at 06:30:51 PM »
Wrong

Overclocking has always been possible via the front side bus or on older chips via the external oscillator PLL circuit  :salute

Never said it wasn't possible; I said that the first components available for the purpose of overclocking were made available in the mid 1980s.

As I've stated many times, icepac makes incredulous claims (like the one before, claiming PC manufacturers purposely mislead consumers, or lecturing people on aerodynamics and then failing himself) and then can't back them up whatsoever. Ergo, this is completely his style to claim he was doing something before it was widely available, only to completely contradict himself (as he did in the post before).

Check his post history if you want a view into paranoid comedy gold.
« Last post by TryHard on Today at 06:18:08 PM »
The first overclockable PC components weren't even available until about 1985.
Wrong

Overclocking has always been possible via the front side bus or on older chips via the external oscillator PLL circuit  :salute
Aces High General Discussion / Re: I'm out
« Last post by fd ski on Today at 04:38:00 PM »
<S> Rud3boi, it's been a pleasure. i hope you reconsider and return at some point
« Last post by GasTeddy on Today at 04:17:42 PM »
The first overclockable PC components weren't even available until about 1985.

First oc-attempts were done in the 1970s, when chip designer Chuck Peddle experimented with defective 6502 CPUs to see how fast they could run. 1981 some job was done with overclocking TRS-80. A soldering iron was involved. Some jumpers etc.

The first overclockable motherboards came to market at 1985, starting over-clocking as it is today. Before that, it was much more complicated but possible, if one knew what was doing.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10