Author Topic: your take on AH  (Read 2333 times)

Offline projoe

• Copper Member
your take on AH
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2007, 02:40:19 AM »
Its a great and cheap hobby....if I hadn't have found flying in AH.....then I'd prolly be sitting in front of the tv watchin the junk they have on today....or even worse...I'd have to sit in the same room with the ole lady and listen to wife ack all the time. :)
Praise da lord ole mighty that we have HTC!!  Can I get an Amen?!!!

Projoe
Dynamite Gang
Projoe 367th Dynamite Gang

Spread my work ethic
Not my wealth!

Offline Corrs

• Silver Member
      • TAC Drivers
your take on AH
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2007, 08:56:50 AM »
an addiction with a side of high blood pressure and a heart attack waiting to happen.

Been with the game longer than I have been with my wife!

AH has always been a great hobby and pastime for me. The key is just being able to control yourself and knowing when to take a break for a while.
Corrs
The Flying Circus
Head of The Flying Circus Numbnutz Clown Union since 2000
FSO 334th FS Corrs's Nose Art
WARNING: Keep smiley's out of reach of Corrs

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
your take on AH
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2007, 09:35:10 AM »
After my separation, I found myself living alone for the first time, it sucked.  After getting a liver warning, I decided I needed to spend less time in a bar.  I played and liked Battlehawks 1942 and saw the AH2 commercial, the rest is history.  Now I have a new addiction that cheaper than my bar tab.  

I fly for the people, my squad.  Though they have been less active in the past few months as real life as intervened, I still fly with my friends.  It’s great coming home to some company again.  

Sappy I know, but you asked.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
your take on AH
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2007, 09:55:04 AM »
Basically I suck at all aspects of this game. I simply enjoy storch's taunts and insults :o

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
your take on AH
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2007, 10:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by Scca
After my separation, I found myself living alone for the first time, it sucked.  After getting a liver warning, I decided I needed to spend less time in a bar.  I played and liked Battlehawks 1942 and saw the AH2 commercial, the rest is history.  Now I have a new addiction that cheaper than my bar tab.  

I fly for the people, my squad.  Though they have been less active in the past few months as real life as intervened, I still fly with my friends.  It’s great coming home to some company again.  

Sappy I know, but you asked.

I have found more and more recently if I log and and don't see a squaddie, I tend to log off, or only fly for a hop or two.

I have almost quit drinking because of AH.  I hate dyin' dumb, and that tends to happen to me after 4-5 drinks.  I still drink, but pretty rarely now, and it's been months since I really tied one on.

If it wasn't for AH, I guarantee I would be out hundreds/month on bar tabs and penicillin shots.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
your take on AH
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2007, 10:47:21 AM »
I find myself falling into habits in fights.  Lately I have been experimenting with different things just to see if they will work.  Sometimes they do, other times I end up flopping like a fish in mid-air while someone blows parts off of my P-51.

I also have dropped back to the Spit IX to get more dogfighting done and am enjoying the fights with the other half in their Spits, LAs and Nikkis.

I have also taken to the B-25 and try to fly it as much as possible.  I wish we had more targets than GVs.  They tend not to last long against CV groups but I enjoy trying.

I also enjoy the historical aspects, as with scenarios and and other events.  My goal is to get the 4th FG into FSO but that is not working out too well.

There for a while I thought I might take to the P-38, then sanity returned.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
your take on AH
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2007, 11:31:06 AM »
Originally posted by WMLute
If it wasn't for AH, I guarantee I would be out hundreds/month on bar tabs and penicillin shots.

Totally sig material. I can't use it though; TxDad would be horrified if he saw that in my sig; so one of y'all rowdy folks should grab it.:lol :lol :lol :lol
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline P47Gra

• Copper Member
your take on AH
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2007, 11:53:35 AM »
My goal is to acutally sit (hopefully fly) as many of the warbirds as I can in my life.

Offline uberhun

• Nickel Member
your take on AH
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2007, 12:05:47 PM »
It's a game at best. For me if I have nothing else to occupy my time with, I will log on. It has changed  from what it was when I was introduced to it yrs ago. Now I am on at best, twice a month. I have other interests that take up my free time.
!

Offline betty

• Gold Member
your take on AH
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2007, 02:42:43 PM »
Originally posted by DamnedRen
I've been doing it a long, long time as have some others. I guess I can say, "been there, done that" but I still enjoy some time in the MA.

I keep looking for Betty but I just keep missing her. :)

My own personal enjoyment comes from trying to get the new guys up to speed to a point where they can give lotsa folks a good fight in the MA. It helps them to have fun and makes the fight for the vets a little more enjoyable. I like to think of it as a "win-win" situtaion for those in the game. I suppose I'll continue to teach. It's been my way of giving back to all the years of fun flying I've had on line.

lol ren ...sorry havent been on much lately...and now i have to send my joystick in and have it replaced because last night it a crap on me :(
~~~The Killuminati~~~                                                     

!!!!!POTIUS MORI QUAM FOEDARI!!!!

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
your take on AH
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2007, 08:38:34 PM »
This simulator is serious business and should be treated as such.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Dastrdly

• Copper Member
your take on AH
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2007, 06:52:28 AM »
i have gone through a few stages in this game starting with borderline obsessive to past time. i think all players do this to degrees.

learning to play 'nicely' with other players has been my goal lately.

most players ...i think, slowly mature as they learn that it is 'only a game' & anything can happen.

my main goal is to improve my SA ACM....usually by flying against larger forces. dieing isnt as important as what i learn by it! sometimes , staying alive against several attackers just as satisfying as getting kills for me.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
your take on AH
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2007, 09:39:17 AM »
I'd agree with the golf comparision as well. Like golf AH is a lifelong itch once your hooked...you may hang up your joystick from time to time but "the game" {not AH particularly} keeps calling.

I started in AW Dos but couldnt afford the hourly fee's at the time and didnt really get started till AW on AOL. I came here during the 99 beta and was a bit suprised that I was accepted as part of the 1st training group.

Viewing it from storchs perspective {which I agree with entirely} the true measure of "score" is in the unscripted individual matchups. "Dueling" is less attractive to me in its artificial construction although I have a blast playing around with Bat and others in the DA. On those rare occasions when the opportunity presents itself I still get a kick out of helping newer sticks along the curve to mediocrity:).

I'm certainly well below the truely elite sticks in the game but probably equally ahead of "average" overall. I seem to get the most enjoyment out of flying a plane with the capability to "compete" but that has to be "worked" against each adversary a bit differently.

Going back to golf I grew up on forged blades and never hit anything straight. I'm not particularly good (never better then a 4) but took a lesson from Chuck Hogan once (Ray Floyd/Peter Jacobsons) pro while he had the teaching school here at Raven South Mountain. I'd been working with a guy on his staff and he came over and grabbed 5 balls. Thru the 1st one down (I was hitting 6 irons) and said give me a low draw....20-25 ft, give me a high fade thats soft...6 ft....now give me a low running cut to the back right fringe...literally on the fringe. Ok now give me a low running hook between the bunkers...carved it right between em (25-35 ft space) and it checked on 3rd bounce and spun just off the edge...

Then he dropped the 5th ball and said fire it straight at the flag....40 friggin yds right of green....AAARRRGGHHH. He looks at me and says...see just dont try and hit the damm ball straight. You cant aim straight, set up straight, keep your angles or stay in balance....

Applying that to AH I dont really enjoy a plane with a finite advantage to exploit. I always tend to try and match up its weakness to the other plane. To me its all a type of applied "puzzle". Since everybody flies a bit sifferently each plane is different based on pilot. I had two great fights with SkatSr a few nights ago. He flew the pony a bit differently vs the A-20 then I expected him to...creating some unexpected situations and capitializing nicely. Win, lose or draw those are the fights I love. Now my mental "model" of the pony has altered a bit and I'm more aware of the potential applications of such and my own thoughts on the A-20 have altered as well.

To me its the guy who takes a plane (or planes) and learns its nuances that stands out. Normally when I see Skat he's flying a more conservative style. Here in a pretty clear cut 1 on 1 he didnt rely on his strength but took me straight on in a great E to angles fight that gave both of us a true opportunity and challenge. To me a single well earned "pelt" is worth a dozen cheap kills. And I'd rather lose two fights like that then land 10...

And of course next time I run into Skat I'll be a bit better prepared for the possibilities:D

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Spazzter

• Copper Member
Re: Re: your take on AH
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2007, 03:02:36 PM »
Originally posted by ghi
i've been playing soccer /euro football , and like in soccer , AH was in my view  a team oriented game, i never care about my score ,killz and skilz 1vs1, the goal was "win the war", or stop the other team win, since arena split and caps  no team can win  in 4 arenas: the goal is dead ,so is my appetiite for game

GHI,

I agree it was nice when your team would rally to keep a reset from happening.  I am not a big proponenet of the win the war campaign lately as it is difficult with the new arena settings.  When we had one big arena there were usually enough guys who wanted to take bases to make a move on a map and the furballers usually had a chance to do what they liked also.  There was definitely a more team aspect rather than a out for myself attitude.  I am sure this is because of the influx of newer players.  As for me I just do my thing now and kill as many red guys as I can.  I still love the game.

<>
Spazz

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
your take on AH
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2007, 03:10:43 PM »
I go at the game like most things. I learn it, try to do well at its basics, and then fly like a retread most of the time. My KD is lowest this camp than in a long time (was never very good) but Ive actually had fun. Last night I think I up 30 times at a heavily vulched base in an IL2 and died everytime. Except I killed about ten guys why rolling down the runway spraying. I was having a ball.

I cant let things like score, or the game itself bother me. Ive got too much else to worry about. To me constantly flying to live in a game where it really doesnt matter, prevents alot of fun.

~AoM~