Author Topic: SWING.....and a miss, looks like we're missing the point folks  (Read 526 times)

Offline Snoopi

• Zinc Member
SWING.....and a miss, looks like we're missing the point folks
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2000, 01:17:00 AM »
First..a personal definition:
Gamer: one who would prefer the game "Crimson Skies" over "Aces High"
Anyone who can fly and fight fair in AH is NOT a "Gamer"

Sunchaser:
No I haven't been in the MA in a while because I went back to school and am now looking for work. (hence no $47/month)

In regards to needing the "gamers"...I agree that that the financial aspect is unfortunate.

Raubvogel:
I think Sunchaser meant that because the price may drop, it will enable the "Gamers" with lower incomes to now play AH.
This is in addition to the higher income "Gamers" now in AH.

I also think "AKSeaWulfe" is right....

In a hardcore, as-close-to-real-as-it-gets sim the "hardcore sim addicts" will always be better than the "Gamers".
This is not due to superior intelligence but due to spending the time to learn.
To say this is not true would be like saying that, a AH player can be as good as a real warbird pilot in a real warbird even though he has not spent time training and just wants to yank the stick around.

I say keep the price above $10
People who are serious about AH will pay..
the rest won't.

Keep the price reasonable so most people can find a way to pay for it. But keep the price high enough, so that you are probably serious about the game.

This will hopefully, in addition, keep out A FEW of the players who basically act like children. (I also include the people inclined to hack the game so that they can "win" without trying to learn some skills)

Regards,
Snoopi

BTW Raubvogel...
I have "flown" with many of the LJK squad and they are great.
As I understand it, the squad came from FA.
Although some misguided people would say that  makes you "gamers", I would disagree.
The LJK squad and it's members are the kind of people I'd love to see more of.

eye

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2000, 01:32:00 PM »
Hint to htc i flew 8 months pay. I now fly for free in the h2h.
Why? I simply after 8 months didnt feel it was a fair price. 30 usd.

Why give guys that flew free accouts multiple times a cheaper rate?

I ran into one in the h2h i brought up what was going on with this price issue.
He said he flew 6 months free!

This pissed me off! I payed 8 months.
So you know what i did?
I killed him 6 times in a row on his server   lol

As far as you guys with this flight sim snobery price does not keep tulips out of games. There are as many rich tulips as poor ones.
Frankly anyone who can afford to get a computer + isp+ 30 usd or 10 for that matter is not poor.

EYE

Btw you send me a account offer for 14.95 right now and ill pay again. cferrara@mnsi.net
Ill be waiting

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2000, 02:00:00 PM »
One correction-

All CM's do not receive free accounts. Some may in the future, but to my knowledge I know of no one that does at this time (who knows, maybe I have one- the wife handles the bills). It is a voluntary corps, and has been from the start.

Trainers do receive free accounts, but they earn every penny of it.  

Your point is valid nonetheless; there is and always has been a different price tier, and no reason to think that it's abnormal.

There are many things that might make me quit playing any sim, but concern over what the other guy is paying is not one of them.

------------------
CM, Aces High Scenario Corps.
http://www.hpcisp.com/~kieren/calendar/calendar.htm

AKSeaWulfe

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2000, 02:33:00 PM »

Originally posted by LJK Raubvogel:
What a couple of arrogant self-righteous statements. Really pathetic.

No, it's not arrogant or self-righteous. It's the way it was, is and always will be. A gamer does not know the difference in execution of a chandelle or a spiral climb. A rolling scissors, scissors or vertical scissors. Most don't even know what a rope-a-dope is. They just do what they do because they know after several experiences in their game what works and what doesn't.

You take the average gamer AH player and pit him against the average hard-core simmer in AH and I'll bet you dollars to donuts the hard-core guy comes out on top.

You are a gamer if you simply play the game with no understanding and no want to understand what we are playing for. ie: why were these planes built. What were they used for? What is the best way to defeat a low-thrust aircraft in a high-thrust aircraft?

A gamer does not have a bunch of books about WWII aircraft or Shaw's book. Some hard-core players don't even have Shaw's book but they are always researching their hobby.

It's like watching football. Some people just watch one team just to see how good they are. They don't care about the players in the game, they don't care about the team's past, they don't care about anything except if the team wins. However the hard-core football fan knows every little statistic about his team and possible the entire league.
-SW

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2000, 03:35:00 PM »

Originally posted by Kieren:
Your point is valid nonetheless; there is and always has been a different price tier, and no reason to think that it's abnormal.

They get limited  time of free account (6 months). After it they will pay as anyone else.

The guys we are talking about will live with that offer forever. And I doubt AH goes down to 10$/month.

So we will always be paying less than them. I find THAT abnormal, yes.

funked

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2000, 04:02:00 PM »
Look at all the business experts.  You'd think that a group that knows so much about how to run a business would be so rich that they wouldn't care if AH were $30 or $300 per month.

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2000, 04:09:00 PM »
I have no idea of bussiness.

But you only need to look around and see what that measure has started.

If you still think it was a wise move, then you need glasses.  

P.S. not kicking the dead horse here, just stating a fact.

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2000, 05:03:00 PM »
 Snoop. If 1.04 proved nothing else. It was that FM keeps the gamers out. Not price.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2000, 05:06:00 PM »
Easymoe,

Stick stirring didn't get mentioned until 1.04. I think the gamers are here and enjoying the fm.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Snoopi

• Zinc Member
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2000, 09:03:00 PM »

Originally posted by easymo:
Snoop. If 1.04 proved nothing else. It was that FM keeps the gamers out. Not price.

I am inclined to agree with ya EZ.

Offline pzvg

• Zinc Member
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2000, 12:39:00 PM »
Hehe, Ok ,let's limit this to guys who know the werke # of Molders plane, and when the 3 of ya get tired of playing with each other, maybe you'll let someone else play.
Jeez, considering I've seen more Dweeb moves and behavior from the "hard-core crowd", let's see if this works, We limit the game, oops! SIM, forgive me, to those who are best qualified to properly employ the aircraft in the historic manner,using the historic tactics,and with all the historic prejudices,
that cuts out the riffraff,quakers,weekend fighter pilots,etc.
hmm, problem, under this model the sim is only useable by actual WWII fighter pilots.
Not enough customer base, company goes under.

(Take this tongue in cheek,please, and as far as the riffraff go, Bill Gates is a fine example of the antisocial,win-at-any cost type, care to suggest he couldn't afford to play?)

------------------
pzvg- "5 years and I still can't shoot"

vadr

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2000, 11:35:00 PM »
Just sort of skimmed over the various replies, but that was a good post at the top. <S>

Funked, I don't. That isn't the point.

------------------
Vadr
Kommandeur, III/JG 2 'Richthofen'
CM, S3 Team/Parser
    vadr@jg2.org    
Combat Flightsim Business Forum