Author Topic: Pictures and report from Iraq from my nephew  (Read 2346 times)

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Re: Pictures and report from Iraq from my nephew
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2007, 07:32:50 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Pictures uploaded to my picture server:
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=18296946&uid=2726312

Arlo, give me a break.  Do I look like I Fly Navy?
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Re: Pictures and report from Iraq from my nephew
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2007, 07:41:07 PM »
Originally posted by Fencer51
Arlo, give me a break.  Do I look like I Fly Navy?

If there was any doubt it's confirmed now. ;)

Corsairs, baybee! :D

Shermie, baybee. :)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 07:43:31 PM by Arlo »

Offline Fencer51

• Platinum Member
Pictures and report from Iraq from my nephew
« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2007, 07:43:06 PM »
The tank looks like a M-24 Chaffee and I was wondering if I was correct and what the story might be on it.  Since it still has it's 50 cal mounted..
Fencer

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2007, 07:45:30 PM »
Chaffee? *ShruG*

Not much showin'.

Still vote Shermie with some mods.

Offline -dead-

• Silver Member
« Reply #94 on: December 05, 2007, 11:26:29 AM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Reprisal Against Dujail
On July 8, 1982, Saddam Hussein was visiting the town of Dujail (50 miles north of Baghdad) when a group of Dawa militants shot at his motorcade. In reprisal for this assassination attempt, the entire town was punished. More than 140 fighting-age men were apprehended and never heard from again. Approximately 1,500 other townspeople, including children, were rounded up and taken to prison, where many were tortured. After a year or more in prison, many were exiled to a southern desert camp. The town itself was destroyed; houses were bulldozed and orchards were demolished.

Though Saddam's reprisal against Dujail is considered one of his lesser-known crimes, it has been chosen as the first for which he will be tried.

Anfal Campaign
Officially from February 23 to September 6, 1988 (but often thought to extend from March 1987 to May 1989), Saddam Hussein's regime carried out the Anfal (Arabic for "spoils") campaign against the large Kurdish population in northern Iraq. The purpose of the campaign was ostensibly to reassert Iraqi control over the area; however, the real goal was to permanently eliminate the Kurdish problem.

The campaign consisted of eight stages of assault, where up to 200,000 Iraqi troops attacked the area, rounded up civilians, and razed villages. Once rounded up, the civilians were divided into two groups: men from ages of about 13 to 70 and women, children, and elderly men. The men were then shot and buried in mass graves. The women, children, and elderly were taken to relocation camps where conditions were deplorable. In a few areas, especially areas that put up even a little resistance, everyone was killed.

Hundreds of thousands of Kurds fled the area, yet it is estimated that up to 182,000 were killed during the Anfal campaign. Many people consider the Anfal campaign an attempt at genocide.

Chemical Weapons Against Kurds
As early as April 1987, the Iraqis used chemical weapons to remove Kurds from their villages in northern Iraq during the Anfal campaign. It is estimated that chemical weapons were used on approximately 40 Kurdish villages, with the largest of these attacks occurring on March 16, 1988 against the Kurdish town of Halabja.

Beginning in the morning on March 16, 1988 and continuing all night, the Iraqis rained down volley after volley of bombs filled with a deadly mixture of mustard gas and nerve agents on Halabja. Immediate effects of the chemicals included blindness, vomiting, blisters, convulsions, and asphyxiation. Approximately 5,000 women, men, and children died within days of the attacks. Long-term effects included permanent blindness, cancer, and birth defects. An estimated 10,000 lived, but live daily with the disfigurement and sicknesses from the chemical weapons.

Saddam Hussein's cousin, Ali Hassan al-Majid was directly in charge of the chemical attacks against the Kurds, earning him the epithet, "Chemical Ali."

Invasion of Kuwait
On August 2, 1990, Iraqi troops invaded the country of Kuwait. The invasion was induced by oil and a large war debt that Iraq owed Kuwait. The six-week, Persian Gulf War pushed Iraqi troops out of Kuwait in 1991. As the Iraqi troops retreated, they were ordered to light oil wells on fire. Over 700 oil wells were lit, burning over one billion barrels of oil and releasing dangerous pollutants into the air. Oil pipelines were also opened, releasing 10 million barrels of oil into the Gulf and tainting many water sources. The fires and the oil spill created a huge environmental disaster.

*****e Uprising & the Marsh Arabs
At the end of the Persian Gulf War in 1991, southern *****es and northern Kurds rebelled against Hussein's regime. In retaliation, Iraq brutally suppressed the uprising, killing thousands of *****es in southern Iraq.

As supposed punishment for supporting the *****e rebellion in 1991, Saddam Hussein's regime killed thousands of Marsh Arabs, bulldozed their villages, and systematically ruined their way of life. The Marsh Arabs had lived for thousands of years in the marshlands located in southern Iraq until Iraq built a network of canals, dykes, and dams to divert water away from the marshes. The Marsh Arabs were forced to flee the area, their way of life decimated.

By 2002, satellite images showed only 7 to 10 percent of the marshlands left. Saddam Hussein is blamed for creating an environmental disaster.

Well the US has certainly topped that rather lacklustre performance. But I always thought it was about the control of the oil, and that the civilian casualties were merely an inevitable by-product of this militaristic imperialism.
Who knows, though -- maybe you're right and it is all about killing as many Iraqis as possible.
“The FBI has no hard evidence connecting Usama Bin Laden to 9/11.” --  Rex Tomb, Chief of Investigative Publicity for the FBI, June 5, 2006.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: December 05, 2007, 12:06:18 PM »
Originally posted by Fencer51
The tank looks like a M-24 Chaffee and I was wondering if I was correct and what the story might be on it.  Since it still has it's 50 cal mounted..

What Chaffee tank?!?!?! The only thing that I saw were a couple pix of a humvee with a protected gunners ring on it. If you are referring to the very dark shot, that's definitely a hummer.

There are no Chaffee's in service and haven't been for decades.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Bingolong

• Copper Member
« Reply #96 on: December 05, 2007, 12:42:18 PM »
Originally posted by Maverick
What Chaffee tank?!?!?! The only thing that I saw were a couple pix of a humvee with a protected gunners ring on it. If you are referring to the very dark shot, that's definitely a hummer.

There are no Chaffee's in service and haven't been for decades.

The picture is the 13th down from the 1st post and he did not say it was in service, and it is a chaffe m-24.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: December 05, 2007, 05:46:50 PM »
Didn't see that picture. It might be a Chaffee, hard to tell but the gun mantlet looks like it could be one.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Fencer51

• Platinum Member
« Reply #98 on: December 06, 2007, 09:15:40 PM »
Originally posted by Maverick
Didn't see that picture. It might be a Chaffee, hard to tell but the gun mantlet looks like it could be one.

It's a Chaffee.  Wonder how it got there, and whether they could get it home to a Museum.

The Italians got a couple 1920s biplanes outta a junkyard in Afghanistan and also a light tank.
Fencer

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #99 on: December 06, 2007, 09:25:06 PM »
I know there are a few Chaffey's on display in the States. I've seen them at Knox and Bragg as well IIRC. I'm not sure if there is even a running one at Knox.

I suppose it's entirely possible it could have been left from WW2. I'd love to know the story about it.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
Author Unknown

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2008, 05:12:19 PM »
FYI, Jake returned from his 16 month tour on Jan. 22nd. :aok  He'll be stateside for 6 months then transferring to Germany to finish out his service time.

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2008, 05:17:30 PM »
Good to hear, Rip...Hey, why were all of the photos' you posted removed?

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2008, 05:20:13 PM »
Originally posted by FrodeMk3
Good to hear, Rip...Hey, why were all of the photos' you posted removed?
I had to make room on my server for other pics.

Offline FBplmmr

• Silver Member
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2008, 07:14:09 PM »
"FYI, Jake returned from his 16 month tour on Jan. 22nd.  He'll be stateside for 6 months then transferring to Germany to finish out his service time."

Tell him "thankyou", and I would shake his hand if I could.