Author Topic: Time for the "area" arena so we can use all these neato early war rides?  (Read 736 times)

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Time for the "area" arena so we can use all these neato early war rides?
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2002, 02:45:54 PM »
deja... how do you figure? We don't use half thed map now it seems.  deja... how do you figure? We don't use half thed map now it seems.
The fronts are overcrowded.  The only way to increase the size of the fronts is to increase the size of the maps.  That's what most people want... a way to actually sneak into enemy territory... especially now that NOE flying doesn't show on dar.  Creating a seperate arena inside of an arena does nothing to help this.  It actually hurts that situation.
I think it likely tho that the early war area would get crowded from time to time.
I think you're talking out of your ass.
As a bonus.... the early war closer field area would be a great place for those who have to play at non peak times.... a more compact "arena" within the arena.
And you think this is a perk?  God forbid they don't have your aircraft in there... and God forbid they are actually choosing the late war portion to play in instead when you really wanted to fight someone in early war rides.  The problem is on off-peak times... you look at the numbers in the MA.. you join up... then you discover nobody is flying in the arena you wanted to fly in.  Pretty much the same that would happen if it were a seperate arena... only skipping the extra step.

Of course.. some would like this because it might "force" other people into early war rides in off-peak hours.  And some might also like to turn the MA into a CT just to show everyone how great the CT is.

AKDejaVu

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2002, 02:46:46 PM »
wlfgng that is the "alternative" I suggested.   make it so you can toggle through the maps.   you can then click on any field in any map in any arena and be there or.... simply look at the map and see what is going on there.   Take some of the "seperate" out of seperate arenas.
lazs

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2002, 02:49:31 PM »
quick easy answer

USE THE HTH

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2002, 03:03:14 PM »
deja... I submit that you are talking out of your ass...  The fronts are not crowded to a lot of guys but only that..... they are more crowded than the DESERTED back fields.   I'll give you that... so with an area arena you might have a few less deserted fields... the "crowded" fields wouldn't be any more or less crowded.    The "arena too small" cherry pickers are not complaining about a too small area but that the fields are too close together for them to find many targets assleep at the switch and far from home so that they can B & Z em to death.   They believe that he who can tolerate the most boredom is the most skilled.    Any map that makes them happy will kill the game.

also..Are you saying tho that the early war area would never get crowded?   I would imagine with all the neato new early war planes that you may be (cough) "mistaken"  or.... talking out of your ass.

Force people to fly early war area in off peak times?   I don't know.. it seems that off peak numbers force people to fly from limited fields as it is.   if they didn't want to fly early war then it would affect no one.   If one or two die hard early war fans flew in there it would still have minimal effect...

Seriously... are you saying that early war planes are not fun and that no one is interested in them?   That we should just ignore em in the MA?    Surely you aren't saying that they have a viable place in the current MA?
lazs

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2002, 03:06:36 PM »
...seems the CT has the highest numbers during early war periods so the CT has allready done that research.

One data point does not a statistic make.  It is unknown whether it was just the early war planes alone that made the BoB CT set up so popular, or if the historical significance of the set up was a big factor as well.  That is to say, the historical draw of flying these early war planes against their traditional adversaries.  

As far as making it "work exactly like the rest of the MA" that's going to be a problem with the new strat system.  Read up on it if you want to know why.  It would take too long to list the potential problems here.  The short answer is, you'ld have to have a completely separate strat system for the early war area, or else face some nasty, arena killing situations.  This would make for big code changes.  No matter how often you insist it's easy, that won't make it so.  You've also side-stepped the issue of possible challanges of building the terrain itself, that is, whether it could be build without changes to the TE or the server code to support this.

Which leads me back to the last paragraph of my preceeding post.  As you have pointed out yourself, it would be a very useful feature to at least be able to check the map and status of other arenas from any other arena.  This would then eliminate your biggest argument against having a completely separate early-war arena.  I'd rather have HTC expend the resources to do this, than to try to shoe-horn your square-peg of an idea into our round hole of an MA :D.
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2002, 05:02:06 PM »
Lazs, I know what you meant.
I meant something different... I E  different arenas

totally seperate.. differnt AC, icons, settings (if desired)

but with the ability to 'look at' and 'talk with' other arenas.

At least be able to see how many are logged in, etc.

WB had that thing where you can see who is in an arena before you log in.. kinda liked that too.  (don't think they have it anymore)

And sorry.. I know you prolly knew what I 'meant' but tried to hijack me to 'your side'   ;:cool:

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2002, 07:50:11 PM »
Sabre, I said that It "probably" could be made to keep others out. I never said it was 100% guaranteed Nor anywhere did i say it would look Good.

IMO, I "think" an arena could be made within an arena.
IMO, I think this would look like toejam! the walls would block the sky.
IMO, the code WOULD have to be changed to accomodate the strats ( 3 sides, within 3sides multiplied by the MA and 3 different war sets) within the map.
IMO, just the building of this map would take resourses and time NOBODY is willing to put forth, on an Idea it may or may not ever be seen.

As another arena, maybe, but that would negate the whole object of laz's Idea.

I only posted this as someone who has some experience with the TE, not as someone who has political or emotional ties to this thread.

NUTTZ

Offline WhiteHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2002, 01:05:32 AM »
It seems thereis a bit of interest in restricted planesets, the
argument seems to be how to do this.  tinkering with the
MA is prolly not gonna happen.

So maybe the CT needs some TLC from HTC.

Some pre 'war' advertising ie. dates, planesets, battle settings.
  So we can talk to squadies about who may be interested,
  what side we will fly for and maybe establish a squad in
  the CT proir to the 'battle'.
  I have maintained before, organizing a population move is
  the biggest challenge here....
Need to be able to download the terrain beforehand.  (the
20 minute download is a big turnoff when im in the CT mood)
Perk point carryover from CT to MA.  
  I know, buffers are gonna try to rack up ez perks to bring to
  MA.  I think that low buffs will attract low fitrs.
Take time to make terrain and let advertising work.
  I dont think ive ever been aware of what was going on in
  CT until I downloaded the terrain and read the paragraph
  CT should be veiwed as a theatre to apply skills learned in
  the MA.  A 'Special' event.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2002, 08:34:52 AM »
wlfgang... no... I took it a step further than that.   I don't care "who" is in the arena so much as "what" is in the arena.   I want to see the map.   I want to toggle between maps and say.... "eeew... nice little fight in the early war arena at a5" and then simply click on that field and be there.   I would want all the maps to give all the info that they do now.  

Basically... you could take off from any field in any arena at any time so lonmg as it was the same "country" and you chose a plane that was available in that arena.

squad voice would work across the arenas just as RW did.    You would not be "isolated" if you chose to try a hop from a field in an unpopular arena.   You would not have to jump through hoops or go in blind to change arenas.

Like I said... either an 'area' arena  or.... seperate arena's with  maps that you can toggle with simple click access to your countries fields in all the arenas.   I like area better but I like both ideas better than all the ideas that I have heard here which all boil down to..... don't do anything except maybe fire up another arena to sit around vacant.
lazs

Offline Wutz

• Copper Member
RPS
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2002, 10:37:34 AM »
I say bring a Rolling Plane Set into AH now... I would love too fly the 109 Emil... but with La7, P51, Fw190 D, Spit IX, Bf109G-10 and N1K2 filling the whole arena... IT IS NOT ANY FUN. I would like too battle my 109F vs Spit Vb and P40E. I mean we fly for fun and because we like flight sims.. If the planeset rolled from 1939-45/46 I would have too adapt like a real figther pilot in ww2. But right now over 50% of the planes are collecting dust.. and that is a shame. Ok a rps could not be implemented before some more planes is introdused.. but it cant get any worse than the MA is now... 1944/45 is boring in the long run.

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2002, 11:53:34 AM »
well in that case Laz.. you were prolly right in the beginning...

HTC is gonna do what they want...
and it prolly won't be seperate 'areas' in the MA.

MA works fine now IMO

I do kinda like the idea of being able to 'look' or somehow communicate with other arenas tho.  depends on my mood.

and yeah.. I have moods where I wanna' do the furball thing..
but not always.  I think most people fall in this category.