Author Topic: Squelchlist....NOW  (Read 1800 times)

Offline Esme

• Copper Member
Squelchlist....NOW
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2003, 02:38:44 PM »
Failure to have a permanent squelch list means that every time the majority of reasonably well-behaved folks log on, if they don't want to hear particular idiots rant, they all have to squelch those idiots one by one. Which is a case of the good having to put themselves out whilst the bad are simply just allowed to get on with it, which is not a very good state of affairs at all.

A permanent squelch list makes a great deal of sense, and I for one cannot see any negative side to it whatsoever.  I also like the idea that perhaps if more than some number/percentage of account holders squelch an individual that perhaps this automatically flags to HTC that there may be a problem here (whether it be the person being squelched mouthing off or others mischieviously squelching them to try to get the target punished for no good reason).

I do NOT think there is much merit in having a squelch that lasts a fixed amount of time - that just means that every now and then you have to squelch folk, and still puts the onus on the good people, rather than on the idiots to behave if they want to talk to others.

Just as a thought, if some kind of intervention based on amount of squelching against an ID due to proven bad behaviour by that individual is put in place, maybe part of the punishment could be restricting the range of planes and vehicles they can use for a while. Start off with no perked vehicles, then if bad behaviour continues, whittle the options down until all that's left to 'em is  PT boats, M3's and C47s (if they aren't kicked out long before it gets to that!). Heck if they dont mind continuing to pay the full sub whilst so limited, I don't mind them doing so either, so long as I don't have to hear/read 'em prattle.

Also, if permanent squelch is enabled, perhaps there could be two "MA's" - one with perma-squelch enabled, and one without. Be interesting to see how many, and who, ends up where.

Esme

Offline brendo

• Copper Member
Squelchlist....NOW
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2003, 03:39:24 PM »
Last week, I was fortunate to have a few days off work, and was able to fly AH during peak US hours.

I was astonished at the amount of disgusting talk on the main channel. The text buffer was moving so fast that you could harly read a thing, and could not communicate properly as required.

I started to squelch the scum bags who were typing away their filth. I had to take out about 8 players... then the text buffer slowed to readable levels.

With 500 players on line, this needs to be taken seriously.

I dont want to read racial/religious/stupid politics/opinion, spamming up the communication channels.

I dont mind AH trash talk ie "come get some"   "you Bish will die d00dz!" . But the scuff I was reading had nothing to do with AH or AH player friend talk....it was BAD talk.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Squelchlist....NOW
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2003, 06:26:41 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak
MrLars,

Yes, that is quite evident.

However in many cases it has simply led to players squelching all of channel 1 as soon as they log in.

Because the ".squelch 1" function is there we already silence the entire annoying thing, removing it from our screens, but not from the screens of new players.  By including this function HTC has already done that damage.

Bingo.  I will say hi sometimes on ch1 but usually I squelch it as soon as I enter the MA.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Squelchlist....NOW
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2003, 06:45:59 PM »
Originally posted by brendo
Last week, I was fortunate to have a few days off work, and was able to fly AH during peak US hours.

I was astonished at the amount of disgusting talk on the main channel. The text buffer was moving so fast that you could harly read a thing, and could not communicate properly as required.

I started to squelch the scum bags who were typing away their filth. I had to take out about 8 players... then the text buffer slowed to readable levels.

With 500 players on line, this needs to be taken seriously.

I dont want to read racial/religious/stupid politics/opinion, spamming up the communication channels.

I dont mind AH trash talk ie "come get some"   "you Bish will die d00dz!" . But the scuff I was reading had nothing to do with AH or AH player friend talk....it was BAD talk.

double, triple and quadruple BINGO!!
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline anton

• Nickel Member
      • http://n/a
Squelchlist....NOW
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2003, 10:52:58 PM »
Yes, I would agree, Brendo hit the nail on the head.

Several great reasons for---

Still waiting for a single good reason against---

Anton

Offline JTs

• Nickel Member
Squelchlist....NOW
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2003, 11:10:44 PM »
would love to see a permenate squelch list

Offline anton

• Nickel Member
Squelchlist....NOW
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2003, 06:59:15 PM »
4 days later, still not a single intelligent or even noteworthy reason against it yet.  Still waiting for even just 1 solid reason against.  

Anton

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
Squelchlist....NOW
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2003, 07:23:32 PM »
Maybe someday I'll be able to look at the text buffer and see game related info sitting in the text buffer for more than half a second at a time.    

Once I've squelched a bunch of people, that is.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
Squelchlist....NOW
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2003, 07:36:03 PM »
perhaps HT could just keep TRACK of who's being squelch most..kinda like that neat lil contest we just had--except the 10 MOST-squelched would cough up extra 15 bucks each month--failing that..how-about squelching messages with key-words? like...ohhh...DWEEB...HO..... GANGERS.....?
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline anton

• Nickel Member
Squelchlist....NOW
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2003, 12:25:09 AM »
I posted a similar thread in the feedback forum but it hasnt gotten any action there. If this is somthing you really want, I have made "can we please have" a very pleasnt request for an option to rid AH airways of relentless unwanted banter.

I think HiTech seems to pay a lil more attention to that board but I may be mistaken. However I was disappointed to still not see an official word of any kind on this thread.

So if it is posted & responded to in the feedback forum, I dont see anyway they couild ignore it. It is very apparent that a great MANY feel strongly about this. We would like a response.

Anton

Offline sourkraut

• Copper Member
      • http://www.riverrunne.com
Squelchlist....NOW
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2003, 11:17:11 AM »
So does the .squelch sour command work on the server side or the client side? If it is the client side, HTC would have no visibility as to who was being squelched.

Offline TWOLF

• Copper Member
Re: I must speak
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2003, 02:35:36 PM »
Originally posted by TheflyingElk
After last night in the MA I find that I must way in on this topic, I spend most of the time just following this board but last night's activtiy by one individual has prompted me to post:mad:   A certain individual Not to be Named J B  7 9  is driving the hole arena nuts, this country jumping, squad hopping little Flame magnet is making AH life much less enjoyable that it should be, I can squelch ch 1 OK, but since this dweeb master has moved to ROOKs now I have to squelch country freq as well ? PLEASE bring Perma- squelch and to AH and help bring Harmonious combat to the MA

JB79 was in a mission the other day organized, and commanded by HOOKER.  Hooker runs very good, organized, and affective missions.  IN steps JB79.  First thing he does is start in on Hooker about the plane set.  Then he dosn't like the target, then to top it off he starts in on the guys that stay in the mission with A-typical "You guys are so GAY!" etc. etc. etc yada yada pre-teen B.S.
  Needless to say JB79 is a prime example of the need for such a list in my book.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Squelchlist....NOW
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2003, 04:06:23 PM »
I usually bust-balls in good fun.  Some take it worse than others, human nature.  

mrsids1 hit the nail on the head with names like 457890247, what makes it worse it constant posting of gunning for someone.  IMO, if your sole purpose is to gun, leave the game.   Your 50 requests to be a gunner in 5 minutes will NOT be missed.

HOOKER?!! Ha, accuses everyone of stickstirring, even my Squad CO Melkor of it.  I remember he was bragging about hitting a base on his own, little did he realize I had already been hitting his country's bases on my own too.   I let my bombs and rockets do the talking unlike him.

Karaya2

Oh yeah, bring on the permasquelch.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2003, 04:09:18 PM by Masherbrum »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline DarkHawk

• Copper Member
Squelchlist....NOW
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2003, 04:13:33 PM »
Lets get that squelch list. First thing I do is
squelch channel 1 and 6 don't need all of those host messages either.

DarkHawk
49DHawk
XO for BOWL (DHawk)

Offline anton

• Nickel Member
Squelchlist....NOW
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2003, 02:11:40 AM »
HTC---- Please feel free to respond to your paying customers at any time here.................
 Anton