Author Topic: Friday's set up........  (Read 8868 times)

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Friday's set up........
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2003, 09:03:24 PM »
F-off.

No call for that. If you are going to stick to your guns then do so. As much as we disagree about this or that, a staffer telling players to "**** off" is out of line and contributes to your somewhat deserving "this is my sandbox" image.

Offline MajorDay

• Copper Member
Friday's set up........
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2003, 10:50:12 PM »
Brady

I know I have say this once, but im going say again.  For setup request that I would like to see F4U-1C and -4 on the list for USN and USMC.  Just perk them alittle bit like 5 or little higher and i hope this works.

Rafe35

Offline o0Stream140o

• Silver Member
Friday's set up........
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2003, 11:14:02 PM »
Just some friendly reading from one of the links that HTC gives for plane performances to newbies...  It's from NetAces...  I just think it is funny how they tell people to go here and write stuff like this then come in here and get told another thing...  I am sure I will get flamed for this but oh well.

Yak9T

Overview

The Yak9T is not a very common aircraft to encounter though you can't be sure which type of Yak9 you are facing as the icons are identical (Yak9U).  The 9U and 9T, even though they are based on the same basic airframe are very different in almost every other way.  The 9T is simply a poor fighter, feeling unbalanced and unstable as compared to most other aircraft but under the right conditions it can be brutally effective against bombers or medium attack aircraft.

Firepower

The 9T's claim to fame is a 37mm spinner mounted cannon with can lay an ugly whooping on anyone who is hit by it.  The catch is , it's difficult to hit with the 37mm but not because of poor ballistics, more so due to a really slow rate of fire. Ballstics on the big cannon are actually very good, unlike the LW 30mm, but the space between rounds is massive. Add in some dispersion and while you could be lined up perfectly, it could be a while before a round travels straight enough to hit what you are aiming for.   Such large shells also consume a lot of room, allowing for only 32 rounds.  Backing up the big cannons is a single 12.7mm cowl mounted machine gun which simply doesn't offer enough concentrated firepower to be much use.  I think most people only use the 12.7mm in defense or to scare people and I know I tend to leave the fight once the 37mm cannon is depleted of ammunition.  The 37mm is highly effective if you are landing hits though, a single shot is almost sure to bring down any fighter and also stands a reasonable chance of knocking out a bomber.  Usually though the 37mm is employed against soft vehicles, a task for which it is better suited.

Maneuverability

Maneuverability in the Yak9T is not good, it feels heavy and directionally unstable at some speeds, likely the result of such a large cannon mounted out front.  The Yak9T seems to require an extra gentle hand on the stick in order to maintain good control though in high speed pursuits it is quite possible to stay stable. The 9T is actually lighter than the 9U on paper but the balance is very obviously not nearly as good.  I wouldn't attempt to slow-turnfight much in a Yak9T as it feels heavy and takes a pretty gentle hand on the controls.  In a dive the Yak9T is great though, retaining almost full control at speeds as high as 575mph.  This certainly favors quick dives onto a unsuspecting target where you can fire your big cannon at very short ranges and then zoom back up to altitude.

Flying the Yak 9T

Often the Yak9T is used in the ground attack role against vehicles.  This isn't a bad role for the plane although it isn't very heavily protected from ground fire and the cannon is no more effective against more lightly armoured vehicles than a few of .50's would be.  Against heavier armour the 37mm tends to damage the vehicle but not kill it, at least out-right.  I've tried shots from dead rear on units like the Panzer and it does appear to be able to kill them but only at ludicrously short ranges.  The short duration of ammunition tends to limit the amount of passes you can make on a target.   Fortunately, the 37mm also means that you will typically be awarded the kill if someone else kills the vehicle with any other gun attack since the amount of total damage inflicted by your couple of 37mm hits will be enough to surpass some other attackers.

Against aircraft it is best to have an altitude advantage, dive in behind a target that is unaware of you, and then press home you attack from the low 6 position at very short range.  Pop up behind the target and fire at a range where aiming is easy, D150 or closer.  A single hit is most likely all you need and you don't necessarily need to plan on landing more than one hit.  Even if the plane doesn't break up it is most likely in some way badly damaged and probably won't escape.   Turning off tracers gives you a better chance of sneaking up and firing more rounds before you are detected.  Don't fire the 12.7mm and give yourself away instead save that for snapshots or in self defense.  Snapshots or crossing shots with the 37mm are virtually hopeless unless you are incredibly close.

The Yak9T has limited escape options although everyone will fear your nose so pointing it towards enemy planes is always a good start.  I always trying and save at least five 37mm rounds to use for my escape for the purpose of firing 1 or 2 at an enemy who tries to engage from the front.  Head-Ons are a mixed bag but typically if you are in a Yak9T you can accept them from a disadvantaged position (and some people use it as the only way they can hit something so press home offensive attacks in this fashion).  The main problem with the HO is that you need to survive until very close before you can land your one killing hit and during that time there are too many planes who will punish the Yak9T to the point where you may not even get to fire.   Again, don't fire the single 12.7mm, it will distract you with hits that mean little, you absolutely must land a 37mm hit as soon as possible.

Fighting the Yak 9T

The Yak9T is really only dangerous in two situations, where it can setup behind you at close ranges, and where it can find you in a Head-On engagement.  I'm not saying that other situations are not dangerous as a single hit from the 37mm is enough to destroy your aircraft, but there are very few people who can accurately use the weapon.  You actual chances of catching a 37mm under hard maneuvering are very low though it is dangerous to make that assumption.

Defensively, be alert for the Yak9T and try to identify it early.  There are no distinguishing markings to the Yak9T from the much more dangerous 9U but sometimes the style of flying can immediately tell them apart.   Where the 9U will typically shy away from Head-On engagements, or try and take shots at longer ranges with it's more flexible guns, the 9T will tend to try and get close and accept any HO type situation it can.  You really shouldn't HO a Yak9U because of the proximity of it's cowl mounted weapons, but at least against the 9U you may survive.   Against the 9T you are almost certain to die if the bogie has any skill in aiming.

The 32 rounds of ammunition is actually an exploitable weakness, if you can stay at a reasonable range (D400 or more) and the Yak is seen firing the 37mm then you are likely to run him out of ammunition quickly.  You can actually see the 37mm firings quite distinctly as the muzzle flash is very bright, far more so than the 20mm of average nose cannons.  Jink around, rolling if you can to make aiming more difficult and just wait for him to run out of ammunition.  Once his 37mm is dry he is going to have a tough time finishing you off with only a single 12.7mm.

The Yak9T is not very fast and doesn't improve with altitude.   They tend to hang out at mid to low altitudes so you can probably get the jump on them most of the time.  Be careful not to overshoot one and end up at short range infront.  Also, if you hear the tell-tale sounds of 12.7mm pings never dive immediately away since the chances are the large 37mm rounds are passing below you somewhere.  If you were to roll inverted and dive you might fly right smack into the softball like 37mm shells.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Friday's set up........
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2003, 11:25:12 PM »
perk weenie.  :D
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline o0Stream140o

• Silver Member
Friday's set up........
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2003, 11:40:35 PM »
yep.... everyday... even twice on sunday... :rolleyes:

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
Friday's set up........
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2003, 12:02:34 AM »
MajorDay: I sincerly appricate you taking the time to check your sources and help to confirm that mine were corect in their info, and for taking the time to try and find more than they had to offer. I have always Known (even when I was helping Kanttori to find info for this map) that F4U-4's and C hog's were at Okinawa, Givien the Allies Signastudmuffinant advantages in spead and ordance delevery abalitys in this present set up, I feal that adding the Hog and the -4 would realy be unjustifiable in the present set up( the later more so than the former given that they were operational at the very end of the battle and got only 9 kills for entire war.)  I can appricate some one wanting to fly them since they may well be their favorate ride, howeaver I cant justify adding them for any reasion given the curent Japanese plane set.

Offline Tuck

• Copper Member
      • http://hometown.aol.com/tuck0006/
Friday's set up........
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2003, 09:34:12 AM »
well....

all i can say is i'm glad i have family coming up saturday, and i'll have company all week to keep me busy.

:mad:

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
Friday's set up........
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2003, 10:00:22 AM »
Originally posted by ergRTC
hmm.. looks like the 109s are much much faster.  thanks.

Oh this is a bit clearer.

Those are wep speeds hand drawn based on htc charts not tested info.

They are not 100% accurate but you can test the yak9t yourself and you will see the results are much closer and match the g6 nicely with the exception of a few variations. At 7k or so the g6/2 gains about 15mph on the yak9t. That gap closes again until 14.5 above that the 109 advantages becomes definitive. But again those are wep speeds. Below 5k even on wep the speeds are nearly even.

o0Stream140o

That net aces article is neither wholly wrong nor the bible on how to fly it. The yak9t is a maneuverable aircraft; its ammo is enough to run up high kill streaks. When Brady and I first flew together he flew the 9t more then anyone I know. Below 5k in the main or the ct it’s quick enough and maneuverable enough to be competitive.

Batz at this point you can not reply

I can't? Are you sure? Brady answered you correctly so in actuality there’s not much more I need to say. But I am sure I can come up with something.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Friday's set up........
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2003, 11:12:26 AM »
The F4U-1C and -4 aren't needed.  What would they contribute to the setup? nil, nadda, zero.  To the IJN players they would just be a couple of planes that can run away more and/or faster than the other ones if they were perked because people would be even less inclined to commit to a dogfight with perk points on the line.  If they were not perked they would represent the vast majority of allied sorties during the week.  Both ways you look at it, it means less fun for the axis flyer.   From an allied point of few they are just not needed.  Anything the super-hogs can do the -1 and -1D can do, maybe not to the same extend but well enough for the purposes of the setup (ie they both possess superior speed and ord capability o their IJN counter parts).  It is in the best interest of all involved as a matter of having fun that the perk planes are left on the sideline till something competitive emerges from the IJN.  

Competition and the ability of your opponent to win is what makes for a good battle which I think most would agree a more enjoyable experience.  Without both sides being able to engage and defeat the other really makes for a long and stale week in the CT.

just my 2 cents.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Friday's set up........
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2003, 12:26:12 PM »
Originally posted by Tuck
well....

all i can say is i'm glad i have family coming up saturday, and i'll have company all week to keep me busy.

:mad:

I'm damned glad too. Maybe you won't piss and moan on the boards all week because it's not custom suited to what you want to play most this time. Me? I play `em all, make the best of it, enjoy it anyway and wait and look forward to my turn. The fact that what I like to play the most in the CT seems to piss off the less flexible "me-me-me" types is just icing on the cake. Now go away. :lol

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
Friday's set up........
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2003, 12:45:21 PM »
I'm damned glad too. Maybe you won't piss and moan on the boards all week because it's not custom suited to what you want to play most this time.

lol hey kettle you are black............

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Friday's set up........
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2003, 12:45:58 PM »
Vote The Bug

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Friday's set up........
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2003, 12:47:23 PM »
Originally posted by Batz
lol hey kettle you are black............

Never once but you're too stupid to notice. You otoh don't play it if it isn't precisely your cup-o-tea. There ya go. See you up? Mmmmmmmmmright. :D

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Friday's set up........
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2003, 12:48:58 PM »
Leave Bradys lapdog alone:rofl

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Friday's set up........
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2003, 12:50:06 PM »
It strayed outa it's yard. That makes it free game. :)