Author Topic: Remorse for virtual death?  (Read 4958 times)

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
Remorse for virtual death?
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2001, 01:40:00 PM »
You mean, what specific ideas do I have for making the MA a place where people desire to live over dying without penalizing any mode of play in the process? Honestly, I hadn't thought of it much as it isn't a type of play I needed extrinsic motivation to do. I suppose if I was the type of person motivated by external rewards I would want:

1. A certificate of some type. WB had the kill streak you could access right online. Not much use except for bragging rights I suppose.

2. Give more kill points to players in a squad. This encourages people to form squads, and presumably would encourage teamwork. The added benefit is that it would help develop the community.

3. Put in a really loud scream, much like HT's "Check Six", only high-pitched, and play it every time your plane takes a mortal hit. This of course simulates the death cries of the pilot strapped in the burning cockpit. Of course this has to be immensely annoying, and unchangable. <jk>

There ya go!

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2001, 02:04:00 PM »
In addition:

4. DoA had some pretty cool medals you could win- historical, of course. These were displayed as you exited from the award-winning sortie or when you had reached certain milestones. Make it so people can see your awards too, and you have your bragging rights.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2001, 03:47:00 PM »
Awww, c'mon AmOn, I thought #3 would spark some interest...  ;)

Offline pbirmingham

• Copper Member
      • http://bigscary.com
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2001, 03:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by majic:
Frankly out of all this, the best idea I heard was the implementation  of a kill streak counter.  It would give some motivation not to die, and I can't see anyone not wanting it.

Dammit, I was going to say that!

Offline majic

• Silver Member
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2001, 06:49:00 PM »
sorry    :p   :p

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2001, 11:19:00 PM »
i agree with amon as im sure you all know. for the same reasons i think buffing should be harder and less accurate, but structures should take far longer to rengenerate.

for me the fun of getting a kill or killing a base or something is knowing i just ruined someones day. that they are gonna be punished for me killing them, which is why i enjoy scenario killls so much and find them very rewarding. thats why i enjoy wild wednesday, because ive just eliminated someone. in the MA this sense of accomplishment just isnt there, and cheapens the experience.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2001, 01:16:00 AM »
Over rewarding survival when there is no requirment to follow orders is not a historical improvment. At least in the MA now most people are following Pyros orders and trying to capture bases and bomb strat.

In WW2  the guys that stressed survival over achieving a mission were not rewarded for it. (german aces and some pacific ones excepted)

What you are proposing is actually more quake like then what we have. Penalizing death. But not penalizing cowardice. Military organizations are actually more concerned with cowardice.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: December 12, 2001, 06:06:00 AM »
for me the fun of getting a kill or killing a base or something is knowing i just ruined someones day. that they are gonna be punished for me killing them, which is why i enjoy scenario killls so much and find them very rewarding. thats why i enjoy wild wednesday, because ive just eliminated someone.  

Ugh. Suddenly lost all desire to do WW. I thought it was about fun, silly me.   :rolleyes:

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2001, 08:37:00 AM »
It all sounds so much more reasonable when kieran says it.

I say... you just want your style to be rewarded over others because you feel you are not getting enough attention even tho there are plenty of stats to track what you do and... the score system and perk system allready reward life over death.  

I also say that you are not as good as you think you are...   I don't believe that you can kill 5 planes in a spit and then die unless it is a fluke.   I will bet that you cannot end a tour flying a spit with a 5/1 k/d.   I would make one rule.  you have to have at least 100+ kills for the tour.  At the end you can tell us all how easy it is to furball.

Well... now we know that zigrat is in anguish whenever someone kills him... I allready knew it caus he whined so much when I did.   Gotta admit tho... In his case... It was the fun part.
lazs

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2001, 09:36:00 AM »
Pongo

Interesting point, and you are correct in your statement.

Personaly i dont see fighting smart "cowardly", there would be some who would fight cowardly as there are now. Doing the things i stated are just as cowardly IMO, because there is nothing at risk for them besides the flight back.

I think that the military frowns apon ignorance more than someones bravery (or lack of), and these acts are a mixure of the two.

-----

Originally posted by Kieran:

Ugh. Suddenly lost all desire to do WW. I thought it was about fun, silly me.     :rolleyes:

Sounds like Zigrat is having fun to me. "Whats good for you may not be good for everyone else"   ;)

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: Am0n ]

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2001, 10:05:00 AM »
I sincerely hope so, AmOn, but based on the stuff I have seen written since I've been back, I don't think so.

That mindset is so not me. I fly WW to mix it up with everyone, simple as that. I hold no illusions about winning, only that the action should be packed in a small time frame. I'll win a few, lose a few, but don't use that to create some illusion about my superiority (which is nonexistant). I will chat with the guy I just fought and we exchange friendly comments.

Fraternity. Collegiality.

I just can't imagine being in the mind set of just wanting to ruin someone else's day, just for the fun of it. I'm surrounded by people like this every day, I certainly don't wish to spend my free time in the company of more like that. Sure, we take jabs at each other and the competitive spirit rises in us all at times, but to possess a disposition generally oriented towards ruining the fun of others for my fun? Yuck.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2001, 10:07:00 AM »
I guess I should add that, you're right, his idea of fun is valid. If I find that frame of mind abhorrent I can simply not compete in the event, which is what I choose to do. I am not ramming my view down anyone's throat, and the event will live on fine without me.  ;)

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2001, 11:12:00 AM »
AmOn- comments on my suggestions, or were you not really interested?

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2001, 12:44:00 PM »
Hurmm i dunno, 3 and 4 sound reasonable but i doubt they would accomplish what i think is best for the MA.

Although i will say 3 is top knotch stuff, would be nice to know you sent someone screeming to there grave, but my girl friend already complains enough about the "annoying AH sounds". I feal bad enough when i die, i dont need her harpin on me to   :)

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: Am0n ]

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #89 on: December 12, 2001, 01:05:00 PM »
I agree with what hblair said.