Author Topic: What race are the French?  (Read 2743 times)

Offline pugg666

• Silver Member
What race are the French?
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2004, 10:20:10 AM »
http://archives.cbc.ca/IDD-1-71-579/conflict_war/van_doos/

btw they're in the process of mobilising to Afghanistan now.

the 22nd is primarilly a french speaking regiment.

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
Re: What race are the French?
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2004, 10:49:38 AM »
Originally posted by AKIron
What race are the French exactly? Hmmmmm.

Le Mans. (sorry if it's been said, I'm way too lazy to read this much flame bait). :)

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline MJHerman

• Copper Member
Re: Re: What race are the French?
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2004, 10:51:16 AM »
Originally posted by Sikboy
Le Mans. (sorry if it's been said, I'm way too lazy to read this much flame bait). :)

-Sik

:D

Offline AVRO1

• Copper Member
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2004, 10:58:39 AM »
Originally posted by straffo
BS look at the official 22 regiment site and the part about WWI.

cannon fodder ring a bell ?

Thank you Straffo, I found the website.
Great info on the 22nd there.

I did not know they fough near PASSCHENDAELE.
Iron Maiden have a great song about that battle on their last album. :cool:

Offline MJHerman

• Copper Member
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2004, 11:05:32 AM »
I don't know if Habu is an American, but if he is, I thought this staetment from the Van Doos link (referencing a TV clip so I can't post the whole article) was interesting:

"On a cold Korean hill known only by its elevation, the Van Doos defend a UN position and save American lives."

All I can say to Habu is my Regiment's motto:  Honi Soit Que Mal Y Pense.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2004, 11:13:58 AM »
Originally posted by Habu
Actually what we are discussing is how French Canadians did not enlist to fight in both world wars.

You fool, you have already this.  And It has already been shown that they had.  Now quit insulting your betters, you only dishonour yourself.

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2004, 12:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by Thrawn
You fool, you have already this.  And It has already been shown that they had.  Now quit insulting your betters, you only dishonour yourself.

The conscription crisis was the biggest issue in both wars. It did not occur because French Canadians enlisted in large numbers, it occured because they did not. The percentages do not lie.

Saying that there were French regiments is proof that this is not true is nonsense.

If I show you one blind man who can play golf will you believe me when I say blind people are good golfers?

Offline MJHerman

• Copper Member
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2004, 12:12:16 PM »
The conscription crisis was the biggest issue in both wars. It did not occur because French Canadians enlisted in large numbers, it occured because they did not. The percentages do not lie.

Saying that there were French regiments is proof that this is not true is nonsense.

If I show you one blind man who can play golf will you believe me when I say blind people are good golfers?

Sorry Habu, but no one is buying it.  You use the conscription crisis to slander an entire segment of the Canadian population, and when we keep posting evidence to the contrary you keep regurgitating the same bile.

Again, no one is denying that the conscription crisis occurred, but it was a political crisis that had nothing to do with the bravery of the French Canadian population.  If you knew anything about Canadian history you would understand that, and I for one am not about to provide to educate you as to reasons for a large number of things that have happened in Canada, particularly where those reasons date back to 1759.

As an English Canadian I take great offence to suggestions about the honour and valour of the Canadian military, particularly when statements concerning the bravery or lack thereof of French Canadian soldiers are thrown around by someone as ill informed and thick headed as you seem to be.  If you paint any member of the Canadian military with a comment to the effect that he or she is a coward, you paint us all.

Frankly, I would love to see you take a trip up to Val Cartier, Quebec, stand in the enlisted ranks mess, stare right at the Regimental Colours and spew your garbage to the people who happen to be in attendance.

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2004, 12:23:49 PM »
Originally posted by MJHerman

Again, no one is denying that the conscription crisis occurred, but it was a political crisis that had nothing to do with the bravery of the French Canadian population.

You say so, but it sure doesnt look that way.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2004, 12:25:25 PM »
Should be obvious.

They are "SLO".

:p
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline MJHerman

• Copper Member
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2004, 12:37:44 PM »
Originally posted by Hortlund
You say so, but it sure doesnt look that way.

Perhaps.  But then again my knowledge and understanding of the situation is culled from more than what happens to be posted on the Internet.

For example, if my sole source of information regarding WWII was the Internet (and in particular this BBS), I might be inclined to believe that Sweden did a very good job of not interfering too much with Nazi Germany's ambitions.

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2004, 12:49:29 PM »
Perhaps.  But then again my knowledge and understanding of the situation is culled from more than what happens to be posted on the Internet.

For example, if my sole source of information regarding WWII was the Internet (and in particular this BBS), I might be inclined to believe that Sweden did a very good job of not interfering too much with Nazi Germany's ambitions.

Well, then you would be correct. And if you ventured to study the subject and read a couple of books, you might even come to the conclusion that Sweden was more allied with Germany during 41-44 than anything else.

And if you studied *really* hard, you would find out that our King threatened to abdicate in case we did not allow German transit traffic, and that Sweden was *this close* to joining the war on the German side in 1941.  

I'd say your choise in what information to believe seems to be more painted by your desire to reach a desired conclusion than to find the actual truth. Something rather common when you are personally attached to a subject.

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2004, 12:50:16 PM »
Blaa Blaa Blaa.

As an English Canadian I take great offence to suggestions about the honour and valour of the Canadian military, particularly when statements concerning the bravery or lack thereof of French Canadian soldiers are thrown around by someone as ill informed and thick headed as you seem to be.  If you paint any member of the Canadian military with a comment to the effect that he or she is a coward, you paint us all.

Frankly, I would love to see you take a trip up to Val Cartier, Quebec, stand in the enlisted ranks mess, stare right at the Regimental Colours and spew your garbage to the people who happen to be in attendance.

I love it how you take a true series of statements and twist them so that I am insulting French Canadian soldiers.

You are a dolt. The cowards are not the ones who fought in WW2 or WW1 but the other 98% of the population who did not. And yes I would say that fact to anyone. It deserves to be repeated and remembered.

Frankly you are the one who has no clue what is going on in this thread. And don't worry I don't take offense when a mental giant such as yourself calls me stupid.

Offline MJHerman

• Copper Member
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2004, 12:55:02 PM »
Originally posted by Hortlund
Well, then you would be correct. And if you ventured to study the subject and read a couple of books, you might even come to the conclusion that Sweden was more allied with Germany during 41-44 than anything else.

And if you studied *really* hard, you would find out that our King threatened to abdicate in case we did not allow German transit traffic, and that Sweden was *this close* to joining the war on the German side in 1941.  

I'd say your choise in what information to believe seems to be more painted by your desire to reach a desired conclusion than to find the actual truth. Something rather common when you are personally attached to a subject.

So as a Canadian, growing up in Montreal, with a background both in Military History and military service in a Quebec based regiment, I have absolutely no idea what I am talking about....but you and Habu do?

My choice "in what information I choose to believe"?  You must be right...my life experiences and education have all been a sham....if only I had had the benefit of the Internet all these years then I could have seen the errors of my ways and delegated by understanding of what is and what is not true and correct in Canadian history to foreigners.

Gee, thanks for clearing all of that up.

Offline MJHerman

• Copper Member
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2004, 12:56:41 PM »
I love it how you take a true series of statements and twist them so that I am insulting French Canadian soldiers.

You are a dolt. The cowards are not the ones who fought in WW2 or WW1 but the other 98% of the population who did not. And yes I would say that fact to anyone. It deserves to be repeated and remembered.

Frankly you are the one who has no clue what is going on in this thread. And don't worry I don't take offense when a mental giant such as yourself calls me stupid.

Thanks Habu.  See my post in response to Hortlund.  Thanks for clearing everything up.