Author Topic: F4U-4 vs La7  (Read 3914 times)

Offline Rafe35

• Silver Member
F4U-4 vs La7
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2004, 07:04:36 PM »
Originally posted by Flyboy
the F4u4 turns batter then the La7. ive checked it

La7 faster and climbs batter
That's true and F4U-4 seem alot better than any USAAF nor USN Fighter.  I gotta say that La7 is no match for F4U-5 and i believe they fought in Korean War in 1950-1953, but not sure about that.
Rafe35
Former member of VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
F4U-4 vs La7
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2004, 07:38:11 PM »
the F4u4 turns batter then the La7. ive checked it

La7 faster and climbs batter

I'm almost positive that the La-7 turns better.  I hate to sound "elitist" but I've flown 1v1 in just about every plane vs every other plane.  The F4U-X series just doesn't turn that well, period.  It can give the illusion that it turns well by bleeding off speed to cut inside of another planes turn, but that only really works well in a scissors or at most in one 360 degree sustained turn.  After that it is wallowing, pretty much like a 190.  

The La-7, on the other hand, turns exceptionally well for being what it is (essentially a crotchrocket).  It will turn with a 109-G2, which will out-turn any F4U I've come across.

Some of it comes down to the pilot knowing how to get the performance out of the plane.  A spitfire flown superbly incompetently will be "out-turned" by a good pilot in a P-38.  A good pilot in a Spitfire will absolutely murder a good pilot in a P-38.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
F4U-4 vs La7
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2004, 10:45:09 PM »
And this plane isn't perked because?
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
F4U-4 vs La7
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2004, 10:52:44 PM »
Limited ammo, short endurance, pitiful ord options, and loses its edge over 12k.

All the perked planes are way better at 2 or more  of the above.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
F4U-4 vs La7
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2004, 12:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ghosth
Limited ammo, short endurance, pitiful ord options, and loses its edge over 12k.

All the perked planes are way better at 2 or more  of the above.

I don't think that is true.

The Spitfire Mk XIV only has the high altitude performance advantage and the Ta152H-1 only has high altitude performance and range, the two weakest of the advantages.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
F4U-4 vs La7
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2004, 02:12:53 AM »
Thje Spit XIV eats La7 alive, only thing LaLa can do is run away...  That monster Spit is the most dynamic fighter in the game.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
F4U-4 vs La7
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2004, 03:37:01 PM »
Don't have much experience in the Spit 14, I wasn't to impressed with it when I did fly it.  

Seems to me to be a British 109G-10.  Climbs well, isn't that fast, doesn't turn that well.  Overall the Spit 9 is much more versatile.

I'd give the La-7 about even odds at knocking off a Spit 14 in a knife fight though.

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
F4U-4 vs La7
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2004, 05:18:09 PM »
F4U-4 is not a deck-fighting machine against the likes of an La7, especially if he starts off only D1.2 on your tail.  You started out poorly, NOE and no faster, then you let him both out-number you (2 on 1) and get position (D1.2), which pretty much ran you out of options.  Even with that, he is only, maybe 1mph faster as long as you are both under WEP.  Drag him away from the Spit (it should take him forever to get close enough to you to be a concern had you started early enough).  You should leave the Spit in the dust easily.  Then, the F4U-4 and La7 are basically in a dead heat.  Very similar turn-rates, very similar acceleration.  You have a guns advantage in range and volume of fire, he has close range advantage in "instant-damage" with 3 cannons.  It'll be a knife fight and pretty even, it'll come down to pilot skill at that point.  Overshoots are probably going to be possible, La7's have a problem at slower speeds and hate, to slow down (it can be tough to slow an La7)

SpitXIV is incredible, just not in the weeds.  It's a 10K machine (or slightly more), 408mph.... nothing slow about that.  Most people just fly the SpitXIV like a SpitIX though, wasting the extra performance in the process.  That and the icon, it makes you "suicide perk killer" bait.

-Soda

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
F4U-4 vs La7
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2004, 09:38:16 PM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
Thje Spit XIV eats La7 alive, only thing LaLa can do is run away...  That monster Spit is the most dynamic fighter in the game.

Oh, I agree.  In a one on one, Spit XIV vs. La-7 the La-7 is toast.

However in the context of the MA with the rare, perk iconed Spit XIV, the Spit XIV is in a lot of trouble because everybody'll be gunning for it.

I've fought La-7s in the Spit XIV in the MA and I've been winning every fight when his friends either forced me to leave or killed me.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
F4U-4 vs La7
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2004, 04:36:00 AM »
I think a break turn with 270 roll to vertical (this will black you out but should keep you under his nose)and then a choice of angle (either for separation or engagement) is your best bet agin the La7.

If he immediately goes hi Yo Yo then you are totally dependant on pilot skill but at least have an angle to start rolling siccors (which La7's dont like....they can do em but the platform is all over the place)

Basically you are testing the persuing pilot more than his plane.

Frankly if the Spit is loose and not tail fixated then the La7 only has to force the continued evasive and your toast.

Once the La7 has forced the fight your biggest threat is the Spit.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Sway

• Nickel Member
F4U-4 vs La7
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2004, 07:18:15 AM »
See, if you were in a 38, You could have went and stallfought that nerdy spit, and then just turned the pants of the La7. :D

Offline mia389

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
F4U-4 vs La7
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2004, 07:36:42 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
The La7 is significantly faster than the F4U4 at 5K, turns better, climbs better(?) and yet it's the F4U4 that is perked, and not the LA7.
:confused:

I dont get that one either

Why do they perk the hi Alt planes and not the low alt planes? ya F4U4 fast up hi but LALA fast down low
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 07:39:48 AM by mia389 »

Offline Sway

• Nickel Member
F4U-4 vs La7
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2004, 07:39:59 AM »
Maybe its not perked because la7 gun package is nothing special.  Very hard to shoot for not begginer/moderate skill level players.

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
F4U-4 vs La7
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2004, 08:49:07 AM »
the 3 20mm in the nose load out is a killer.

Offline OverBkil

• Copper Member
F4U-4 vs La7
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2004, 12:26:28 PM »
the 3 20mm in the nose load out is a killer.

Only in limited range... Compare those guns to hizookas, 0,50 cals and even MG151/20s, they all have much better accuracy and hitting power +400yds.