Author Topic: Il2fb Ace Expansion Pack  (Read 6199 times)

Offline MC_Honky

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Il2fb Ace Expansion Pack
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2004, 11:59:45 AM »
Hello Brainwashed Tard Fanboys,

My point about going to 30k in a P-47 vs a Stuka is that the high altitude FM's in FB's suck.  The p-47- with its 2 stage supercharger should just be getting warmed up at 30k.  Hell- thats the reason why the P-47 is such a fat pig.  That's the point of the P-47. High alt performance and FB's misses the mark.  I think that pasty skinned COMMIE said something like - "the second stage supercharger wasn't installed on the varients shipped to Russia"... or something like that.  So you give us a p-47- with the worst cockpit of all the planes- then cut its banana off in the FM.

+ all of the VVS fluff which was exposed by directly extracting performance data from the sim.

Thats why- even with with its 1997 graphics and its "high maintenance" owner- AH is still the best bet.

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
Il2fb Ace Expansion Pack
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2004, 12:04:43 PM »
Done eating your finger paints? Why don't you start on the glue, I'm sure the other special people in your special class found its quite tasty.
-SW

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Il2fb Ace Expansion Pack
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2004, 12:11:49 PM »
At 30kft, the supercharger only adds for the speed, it doesn't make it do any wonderful maneuvers up there.
You'll be like a dart up there.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Il2fb Ace Expansion Pack
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2004, 12:18:12 PM »
Some stuff I still don't like much about IL2.  

-The views.  Oh man, they are absolutely horrible.  The cockpits look extraordinary... but all of them have bars that just get in the way.  Since you can't move your view position, they just stay in the way.  No 6 view (or 5 view or 7 view)... you can't even TRY to look to see whats behind you.  That sucks, and I wish it was different.

-The FM is weird.  A lot of the time it seems similar to AH, but at low speed it is considerably different.  At high speed it seems much different too.  Planes don't seem to bleed off speed as fast in IL-2 as they do in AH, I like AH's way better.  On the other hand, it is possible to take a P-38 and fly (with full control) at 60 kph.  At least I think it is in kph.  I don't think that is actually possible, is it?  Don't recall off the top of my head what the P-38s stall speed was... but 60 kph is like 40 mph or something.

Things I really really like about IL2

-Man, it is gorgeous.  

-The clouds are done much better in IL-2 than in AH, they are cute and fund :).

-The planes seem to be a lot tougher in IL-2.  Most of them can take a beating before they actually crash, you'll lose parts and stuff, but the plane rarely "breaks up" like it does in AH.

All in all, if someone could show me a way to get the in-cockpit view system to something approaching useful, I'd probably play it at least as much as I play AH.

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
Il2fb Ace Expansion Pack
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2004, 12:38:12 PM »
To check your 6, just use rudder and long turns. In the real war, thats how pilots checked their 6 - they'd skid or do a lazy s. Some planes also have rear view mirrors, mostly the American planes.

Check your difficulty settings Urchin, I can't get the P38 below 160kph without it stalling with flaps out.
-SW

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
Il2fb Ace Expansion Pack
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2004, 12:48:38 PM »
I've mapped all views to my CH HOTAS in AEP.....only thing I don't have is direct 6, but when u do look direct 6 your head is further to the right in the cockpit.

All up views programed by mapping 5 on a single button, and pushing 6 on the POV and 5 mapped on the throttle button gives me an up to the right look, as well as front right, front right up etc.

No problems mapping the views at all.

The problem I have in mapping with Control Manager is this.

Aileron Trim uses in conjuntion Control...which is no problem but right arrow and left arrow are not understood by Control Manager....  
« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 12:50:50 PM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline MC_Honky

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Il2fb Ace Expansion Pack
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2004, 12:50:32 PM »
AKSWULF-

I'm no tard.  I have a Ph'd in VCR repair.  I have written numerous papers and have done ground breaking work in Rewinding theory.   I’m working on a unified theory of rewinding , pausing and scratching (oneself).  I also testify in court cases involving VCR accidents.

Please submit your credentials.

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
Il2fb Ace Expansion Pack
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2004, 12:53:23 PM »
Whats the matter? Glue wasn't as satisfying as the finger paints?
-SW

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
Il2fb Ace Expansion Pack
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2004, 12:54:47 PM »
Urchin......I have a CH HOTAS setup all USB.

If ya want I can send you the Map.

All views mapped....the up views are two button commands.

Up being mapped on the pro throttle, and direction views mapped on the CHF16 Combat Stick.  Simple matter of using two buttons for up views only.

Lord help me!   I love AEP!  It starts to get "DIM", not dark in AH and it gives me an excuse to hop in a 110G2 in AEP, destroy a few bridges and blast a couple IL2s using the quick mission builder.

Wish there was a way of taking screen shots in AEP.  If there is I don't know of any!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 12:58:24 PM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
Il2fb Ace Expansion Pack
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2004, 01:06:50 PM »
Originally posted by Urchin
Some stuff I still don't like much about IL2.  

-The views.  Oh man, they are absolutely horrible.  The cockpits look extraordinary... but all of them have bars that just get in the way.  Since you can't move your view position, they just stay in the way.  No 6 view (or 5 view or 7 view)... you can't even TRY to look to see whats behind you.  That sucks, and I wish it was different.

That’s why you need track IR or that the cheaper mouse look / web cam deal or the new view program.

Before I got track ir I used the mini JS on my ch pro throttle along with hat and had np at all tracking bad guys. The problem is with how some planes "show up" against the terrain. So like yaks become invisible against the terrain.

The FM is weird.  A lot of the time it seems similar to AH, but at low speed it is considerably different.  At high speed it seems much different too.  Planes don't seem to bleed off speed as fast in IL-2 as they do in AH, I like AH's way better.  On the other hand, it is possible to take a P-38 and fly (with full control) at 60 kph.  At least I think it is in kph.  I don't think that is actually possible, is it?  Don't recall off the top of my head what the P-38s stall speed was... but 60 kph is like 40 mph or something.
[/b]

To the "e" bleed thing. You must be referring to when you fight AI. Folks aren’t exaggerating when they say "AI cheats". There’s a simple routine for all AI planes. They can stop and go much better then any human pilot.

Things I really really like about IL2

-Man, it is gorgeous.  

-The clouds are done much better in IL-2 than in AH, they are cute and fund :).
[/b]

Yeah IL2 looks much better then AH.

-The planes seem to be a lot tougher in IL-2.  Most of them can take a beating before they actually crash, you'll lose parts and stuff, but the plane rarely "breaks up" like it does in AH.
[/b]

I remember the first time I fly the original IL2 and hit an Il2 in the wing 3cm. I couldn’t believe it didn’t go down. I went and watched the track and the round actually went completely through the wing and exploded on the opposite side. I remember fighting a p40 in a 202 and seeing watch looked like rounds "bouncing" off the fuselage. Add in the a complex damage model overall and the fact that the different rounds (belting) are modeled and there are very rarely kills where the plane simple falls apart.

Dead 6 shots absurd lots ammo where planes form and angle off shots are more effective because you can aim at vital components. Take the il2 for instance the best way to kill one is go for its oil cooler underneath.

All in all, if someone could show me a way to get the in-cockpit view system to something approaching useful, I'd probably play it at least as much as I play AH.

Are you using a hat switch? If can try track IR, if not download the program "new view" and take the time to get it set up. Do you have a ch pro throttle? set up the mini js for pan view.

Honky,

Do you have a track of that 30K stuka? I suspect you are either full of it of like kweassa says, "You just suck."

Check your difficulty settings Urchin, I can't get the P38 below 160kph without it stalling with flaps out.

Same about 160kmh

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
Il2fb Ace Expansion Pack
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2004, 01:15:21 PM »
Hajo - the Print Screen key takes screen shots for you and will place the screenshots in the Forgotten Battles main folder as grab****.tga.

Everytime you close down the game and restart it, taking screenshots again will overwrite the ones in the folder because the counter for the screenshots is reset.
-SW

Offline MC_Honky

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Il2fb Ace Expansion Pack
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2004, 01:25:07 PM »
Askwulf-

don't you find it a bit strange that a P-51's on the cover of the Ace's expansion pack but it includes no American campaign?

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Il2fb Ace Expansion Pack
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2004, 01:27:45 PM »
Originally posted by Hajo
Urchin......I have a CH HOTAS setup all USB.

If ya want I can send you the Map.

All views mapped....the up views are two button commands.

Up being mapped on the pro throttle, and direction views mapped on the CHF16 Combat Stick.  Simple matter of using two buttons for up views only.

Lord help me!   I love AEP!  It starts to get "DIM", not dark in AH and it gives me an excuse to hop in a 110G2 in AEP, destroy a few bridges and blast a couple IL2s using the quick mission builder.

Wish there was a way of taking screen shots in AEP.  If there is I don't know of any!

http://www.howiesfunware.com/ free screen capture software...note to make it work it has o be running and minimised.

Offline Heretik

• Nickel Member
30k stukas
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2004, 01:31:08 PM »
It's fairly well known that the FB hi-alt model is porked, you just have to deal with it. 90% of online fights are below 10k anyway.

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
Il2fb Ace Expansion Pack
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2004, 01:34:48 PM »
No, because I already knew the campaign was a seperate package that had to be purchased. The only area of operations for the US is the small Normandy map, small Ardennes forest map, and small Hungarian map. It has to be a pretty piss poor campaign without larger areas of Europe modelled.

I play online anyway, which is what most of the AEP planes were intended for.
-SW