Author Topic: WTG Georgie!  (Read 5676 times)

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2004, 08:09:55 AM »
Originally posted by Mini D
Wow curly, I'm continuing to wonder what you just said has to do with you're original post.

A quick question for you (one you seem to be dodging):

Did you pay a higher percentage on your federal income tax than Bush did?

Baby steps here curly... you can do it.

MiniD

Com'on Mini D... His first post was a complaint about tax cuts during a time of excessive spending and deficits...  He was commenting on fiscal irresponsibility..  Thats how I have read him anyway..

dude

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #106 on: April 15, 2004, 09:10:48 AM »
Let's take baby steps here mystery poster.  One thing at a time.  He did say he pays closer to 30% taxes in response to Bush's 27.5%.  He responds to that, we move on to the next.

So, how about it curly, you answer this one and we can move on to the next one.

Do you feel you paid a higher % of taxes than GWB?

MiniD

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #107 on: April 15, 2004, 09:37:04 AM »
Let's take baby steps here mystery poster.  One thing at a time.  He did say he pays closer to 30% taxes in response to Bush's 27.5%.  He responds to that, we move on to the next.

So, how about it curly, you answer this one and we can move on to the next one.

Do you feel you paid a higher % of taxes than GWB?
MiniD

WTF are you talking about dj?  Are you on drugs or something?  Where did I say what my taxes were?

Concerning higher or lower, I have absolutely  no idea concerning the percentage of my gross that went to taxes.  I have 2 sources of income (me, wife) and a small business that yields additional income and a small farm.  It's too complicated - an accountant does it.  I have absolutely no idea (or interest) in whether I paid more or less than georgie.

I know two things for certain.  a) My revenue exceeded my expenditures and b) I don't participate in federal farm programs.

curly

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #108 on: April 15, 2004, 12:21:44 PM »
Concerning economic growth, what is your metric? Here's a simple one. Take the value of your stock market investments around year 1999 and compare them to todays values. I don't know about you, but someone swiped around 30% of mine.
My mistake curly, I thought you were talking about fed income tax here.  The statement in and of itself is pretty ****ing stupid considering that 30% (More for most) was "swiped" in 2000, but I'll let that one go for now.

OK... then let's move on to the next stupid question:

Do you think a flat tax would raise or lower the ammount of taxes you pay and the ammount of taxes GWB pays?

MiniD

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #109 on: April 15, 2004, 06:10:56 PM »
My mistake curly, I thought you were talking about fed income tax here.  The statement in and of itself is pretty ****ing stupid considering that 30% (More for most) was "swiped" in 2000, but I'll let that one go for now.

OK... then let's move on to the next stupid question:

Do you think a flat tax would raise or lower the ammount of taxes you pay and the ammount of taxes GWB pays?

MiniD

It's not clear to me how my remark was stupid.  The context was a discussion between me and Steve about the general direction of the American econmy over the last few years.  I cited the general downward trend of my stock holdings.

Depends on the rate of the flat tax (obviously.) I suspect if a flat tax were enacted, they would attempt to make it revenue neutral for most of us.

So far as bush is concerned, as long as he's president and and all investments are in a blind trust, I would guess his taxes would decrease.  After he leaves elected office, my guess would be his taxes would go up.

I think his taxes would gradually increase because his ability to generate revenue would increase (fixed percentage over an increasing base.)

It's all speculation for me.

curly

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2004, 10:58:00 AM »
ok curly... I guess I never did get your point...

Are you for higher taxes or lower taxes or for keeping them the same?

lazs

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2004, 11:08:01 AM »
Originally posted by AKcurly
It's not clear to me how my remark was stupid.  The context was a discussion between me and Steve about the general direction of the American econmy over the last few years.  I cited the general downward trend of my stock holdings.
What was the trend in the last year... not since 1999.  Everyone know's what happened then Curly, and pretty much why it happened.  Of course, nobody from "then" had to try to do anything ot fix the mess.
Depends on the rate of the flat tax (obviously.) I suspect if a flat tax were enacted, they would attempt to make it revenue neutral for most of us.
Depends on the rate of the flat tax?  The highest tax % is 35% right now, the lowest is 15%.  Who will definately be paying much higher taxes as a result?

MiniD

Offline aknimitz

• Silver Member
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2004, 12:08:23 PM »
Genuine curiousity (and ignorance): Why did Cheny pay 19% in taxes and I pay 30%? I am pretty sure he made more than me. Is that because he had a lot more deductions and was able to reduce his taxable income to something less than mine, thus moving into a lower tax bracket?

Nim

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #113 on: April 16, 2004, 12:50:12 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
ok curly... I guess I never did get your point...

Are you for higher taxes or lower taxes or for keeping them the same?

lazs

Pretty much what you said earlier, Lazs.  I don't mind higher taxes if they reduce federal spending (in an attempt to reduce the federal deficit.)  I don't mind lower taxes if they greatly decrease federal spending.  I just want a conservative fiscal federal spending policy.

curly

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2004, 12:54:05 PM »
Originally posted by AKcurly
Pretty much what you said earlier, Lazs.  I don't mind higher taxes if they reduce federal spending (in an attempt to reduce the federal deficit.)  I don't mind lower taxes if they greatly decrease federal spending.  I just want a conservative fiscal federal spending policy.

curly

They are going to take away your liberal party membership if you keep talking like that Curly. Just a friendly warning. :D
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2004, 12:58:09 PM »
What was the trend in the last year... not since 1999.  Everyone know's what happened then Curly, and pretty much why it happened.  Of course, nobody from "then" had to try to do anything ot fix the mess.
Depends on the rate of the flat tax?  The highest tax % is 35% right now, the lowest is 15%.  Who will definately be paying much higher taxes as a result?

MiniD

dj, taxes aren't as simple as you're trying to make them.  For example, because of deductions, it's possible for a large corporation to have a virtually tax free year.  I'm not complaining, just pointing it out.

When one says "flat rate tax," does this preclude the possibility of deductions?   If flat rate means "a flat rate based on gross",
then sure, georgie will pay more taxes than I.

However, if the gross is adjusted, then who knows who would pay more tax.  I sure don't!

curly

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2004, 01:19:39 PM »
Ah.. quite the cop-out.

Given more deductions, more itemizations, and so forth.  But none of that has anything to do with the tax rate.  A flat tax is a fat tax.  It's premise is complete simplification of the tax system.  They "complexities" you cite would be irrelevant.  Given the presented "gross" and the taxes, you're looking at 27%.  Do you know what % the lowest tax bracket has for a rate?  It's 15%.  Once again, will a flat tax result in bush paying more or less?  Will it result in the lowest brackets paying more or less?

I'm still trying to read what you posted initially and trying to figure out how you've taken this article to be representative of anything other than numbres from two boxes in a tax statement.

It's progressed from there to a non-related flat tax statement then to an indictment of the spending habits and reduction of taxes.  Then to the point that the money is "going overseas" (which... nearest I can tell, you've not substantiated).  All of this from a statement saying bush saved 10% on his taxes this year.

So many people are posting stupid articles and starting pissy bellybutton ***** sessions based on media hype.  Sad to see you join the crew.

MiniD

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2004, 01:23:33 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron
They are going to take away your liberal party membership if you keep talking like that Curly. Just a friendly warning. :D

Heh, Iron.  I used to be 1 of 2 registered republicans in a township of 750 people.  Of course, that was back in the day when republicans were fiscally conservative.

curly

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2004, 01:32:53 PM »

So many people are posting stupid articles and starting pissy bellybutton ***** sessions based on media hype.  Sad to see you join the crew.
MiniD

The information I provided was of course my opinion.  Since my opinions have always varied considerably from your opinions, it's no great revelation that once again, you believe me to be dead wrong/stupid/whatever.

Let me give you a tip.  In the future, when you see AKcurly as the author, just think to yourself, "ah, more bs - I don't need to read  nor respond to it."

Besides, you never read the entire thread, you just look for something that you might be able to disagree with (eg, citing my 30% rate) when in actuality, I said nothing about my taxes.

curly

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2004, 02:51:48 PM »
I read the thread curly.  The entire pissy assed whine session where you took an article that was basically written solely by looking at two lines of a 1040 and transformed it into a state of the union address.  All the while attributing your current financial woas to a presedent's policies that don't even come close to affecting your current status as a taxpayer.

Your whole concept seems to be we should be paying a flat tax, as long as GWB's don't go down, and taxing more while spending less... and the less spending should be a result of reducing spending overseas.

I could ignore it, but damn curly... when did you turn into such a whiney *****?

MiniD