Author Topic: HTC - Bring Back Big Maps!  (Read 7211 times)

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
HTC - Bring Back Big Maps!
« Reply #135 on: July 12, 2004, 03:57:17 PM »
want me to ask him for his phone number for ya? ill hook you up for a date :D
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #136 on: July 12, 2004, 03:58:42 PM »
When you associate with liars and *******s, don't be shocked when you are lumped in with their lot.

BTW Voss, where's that MA map?  ...and that 3d skin tester app?

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #137 on: July 12, 2004, 04:00:27 PM »
Originally posted by Furball
So... you generalising a large squad, by the 1 or 2 you know...  which is the point i was getting to, and said in my first post here:-

Which is what i was trying to get at. Its a big squad and everyone is good at their own thing, just counted the roster on squad score pages, and we have 52 members in 2 wings.  And you are calling us potatonets because of the 1 or 2 you know.

dumbarse.

I know alot more than 1 or 2. ;)  But, yes, obviously I am generalizing somewhat, but given what Metapotato has posted about your goals and mindset you leave myself and any other reasonable person with no other conclusion to draw.
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #138 on: July 12, 2004, 04:01:56 PM »
Originally posted by Furious
When you associate with liars and *******s, don't be shocked when you are lumped in with their lot.

I have nothing personal against him, never offended me or been nasty to me in any way.  I have no need to dislike him, and being a squaddie i would always stick up for him.  I'm sure you would too for squad members?
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline kevykev56

• Silver Member
« Reply #139 on: July 12, 2004, 04:02:14 PM »
Ummmm, dude, maybe for the thrill of experiencing virtual air to air combat?!?!? What is the thrill in milkrunning undefended bases? Most people who are forking over 15 bucks a month are doing so because they enjoy the air to air combat for it's own sake. Paying 15 bucks a month to fly a WW2 Combat Flight Simulator just to be a non-combatant real estate broker seems somewhat lame to me. But, hey that's just one fighter dweebs opinion. In the end you, Metapotato, and the potatonets do whatever gets your rocks off. Just don't punish the rest of us by demanding we play in giant spacious vacuums that are disproportionately large relative to the number of players just so you can have your lil' milkrun parties in peace, is all.

That's exactly it! And they're mad because on the smaller maps ALL the fields are defended, so they can't just fight the pixels alone, in peace. They've got to fight other people! How rediculous is that! The fact that they pay good money to play a MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER COMBAT Sim then endeavor to avoid combat altogether and play alone with the defenseless pixels is even more rediculous.

So zazen by your accounts we shouldnt even have ordanance enabled?  What would be the point? A2G is a part of warfare. It was used during war to slow an enemy or force them to retreat. To remove that aspect from the game would be taking away a real part af Air combat.....wars arent just fought plane to plane.

This is why Hitech added these elements to the game. Nobody wants to just kill a base and take a shot at a pixel. Its about making the enemy react to you...not reacting to them. It effects the other team, not the pixel that is destroyed. It is about seeing the big picture and not just the next guy in your sights.

If it is all about the furball and the next kill I would suggest H2H, get your fill in there, kill all the people with unlimited ammo. Stand on top of the tower an yell "I AM THE GREATEST!!!!", Or is there not a big enough audience in there for you?

RHIN0
RHIN0 Retired C.O. Sick Puppies Squadron

Offline Boozer2

• Copper Member
« Reply #140 on: July 12, 2004, 04:04:13 PM »
...and it's no business of mine if that's how they want to spend thier money, why take it away from them?

I'd like to leave the "Hornet" option always available to all new players for instance. I can imagine that it would be a great benefit for "trial account joe" to be able to actually fly into a lesser defended field for once without getting jumped by 20 LA-7s and N1Ks, just for the learning experience. If some guys prefer it always, thats fine too, no skin off my back.

I'm definitely ready for the big maps to be put back in rotation too, small maps just leave fewer options for everyone. I get tired of having to face a horde every flight, my preference is searching out the nice  2v2 ,3v3, or 4v4. Small maps have nothing but the 30v30 which gets boring for me.  

I've heard complaints by furballers that they can't find their fight on a big map... hmm... is it that folks have to be forced to fly nothing but furballs for their fight to materialize? Is that what the furballers are saying? If you give folks the option, the majority doesn't choose your favorite?

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #141 on: July 12, 2004, 04:04:28 PM »
Originally posted by 214thCavalier
Zazen i know your having fun baiting and netting the lil fishes.
However continually insulting the entire squad by referring to them as potatonets when you have a problem with an individual is unwarranted.
I would hope you could appreciate that fact and alter the target of your insults accordingly.

As for how the guys decide to play the game, paying their subs earns you the right to criticise them.

One things for sure, for this Hornet you can trawl back as far as you like and will never find the slightest hint of me flying for score.

And attacking undefended fields is totally boring and a waste of time, in fact i even find vulching a defended field boring as well and rarely bother.

Zazen the 418th is a large squad if some are happy attacking undefended fields good luck to them they pays their money, but again to call the whole squad is going too far.

I thought potatonets was a cute play on words actually. :D In any event, yes, I do delight in giving people of low moral character the rope with which to publicly hang themselves. It's a fetish, I know. But, within my bait and hook posts I have contributed meaningfully to the original debate at hand, making a concerted effort to refocus on that topic continually. Admittedly, coercing Metapotato into publicly showing his arse became an alterior motive. But it's so damn fun I couldn't resist :D I do call into question any squadron who harbors Metapotato and his ilk, I can only conclude it is because he's a scorepotato and helps keep your squad in bright lights on top of the leaderboard. It surely isn't because of his pleasant demeanor, charming personality or his innate ability to work and play well with others.
;)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 04:09:44 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline Lazer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #142 on: July 12, 2004, 04:09:41 PM »
I don't want to come on too strong Furball ;)

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #143 on: July 12, 2004, 04:10:11 PM »
"If it is all about the furball"

It's ALL about player versus player combat.

As a kid ever play a game called "Red Rover?"

quick refresher.....

http://www.gameskidsplay.net/games/strength_games/redrover.htm

Milkrunning and shed battling,  where there is no enemy defending and the lack of resistance is what attacker prefers, is like playing "Red Rover."   But with no opposing team to rush through.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #144 on: July 12, 2004, 04:13:55 PM »
The only hornet that deserve insults is .... ...

FURBALL !

I'm still waiting for my typhoon picture !

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #145 on: July 12, 2004, 04:14:58 PM »
boooooo!

Whats your e-mail? :)
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline kevykev56

• Silver Member
« Reply #146 on: July 12, 2004, 04:15:48 PM »
It's ALL about player versus player combat.

And you dont see taking a base as Player vs Player? Defended or not, it is Team vs Team.

RHIN0
RHIN0 Retired C.O. Sick Puppies Squadron

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #147 on: July 12, 2004, 04:19:47 PM »
Originally posted by Boozer2

I've heard complaints by furballers that they can't find their fight on a big map... hmm... is it that folks have to be forced to fly nothing but furballs for their fight to materialize? Is that what the furballers are saying? If you give folks the option, the majority doesn't choose your favorite?

Are you a scientifically inclined person? Are you familiar with the term diffusion? Diffusion is the movement of material from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. In terms of this game when you provide a space overly large for the 'material' (people) they tend to diffuse. Not by any conscious decision or choice per se, but because they seek to fill the areas of low concetration to prevent 'foreign material' (enemies) from infiltrating their space. While this sounds good in theory, what happens is there is a critical point where the space itself becomes so large in relation to the 'material' that not all the space can be occupied by all sides.

So what you have is areas with a few people, areas with just one side or another, and almost never any areas with several to many from both sides. This can be deduced mathematically by the laws of averages, dividing the space into units and dividing those units by players. My contention is that HUGE maps actually, by no conscious player will, PREVENT anything vaguely resembling furballs from forming except in the rarest of circumstances. Worse yet, with large spaces, what tends to happen is specific areas will be overrun by one side or the other, precluding by virtue of numerical disparity the inclusion of the other side, one sided gang-bangs, vulch fests and ultimately milkrunning ensues. At least on small maps you tend to have relatively equal forces meeting each other at strategic focal points due to high overall concentration.

To put this more simply by generalizing:

Small Maps = Furballs
Big Maps = Gang-Bangs, Vulch-Fests and Milkrunning

If I had a choice I know which I'd choose....

Zazen
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 04:30:20 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #148 on: July 12, 2004, 04:21:57 PM »
Straffo, this is what you need: -

here (at the bottom)
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #149 on: July 12, 2004, 04:24:38 PM »
yummmy !!!

Furby :)