Author Topic: 38 damage model?  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
38 damage model?
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2004, 11:28:04 AM »
Originally posted by debuman
It seems like the only way to answer this would be to get someone who's had extensive flight experience in the 38 to try the Aces High version and give their input.  Maybe someone could contact that lucky guy Steve Hinton that gets to fly all the warbirds for Planes of Fame in CA, and see if he would evaluate it ofr us...?

Actually, that has already been done. Widewing has already had a veteran P-38 pilot try the P-38 in Aces High (it was AH I). If you can get him to post about it again, I remember him saying the P-38 pilot found a few things lacking in the performance.

As far as having Steve Hinton do it, while he is indeed an excellent pilot, possibly the most respected war bird pilot around, I don't know that he has actually pushed a P-38 all that hard. I only spoke with him briefly last year, at Middlesboro KY. Most of what he said about flying hard was not related to the P-38. I've seen what he can do with a plane, it is nothing short of both spectacular and impressive, not to mention he's a great guy.

The thing is, with P-38's being among the rarest of all war birds, I doubt anyone would let someone beat on one like you would in combat. The insurance policy on Glacier Girl in fact specifies that no one except Hinton fly the plane, and that it be flown within certain limits.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline OIO

• Silver Member
38 damage model?
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2004, 01:50:36 PM »
guys, the real 38 pilots were instructed to ALLOW the 38 to do 2 to 3 spins and only THEN try to break out of it via use of rudder/elevator/aleiron.

Reason being, the 38 if 'pushed' to recover from a spin on the first 1 or 2 spins would very frequently enter an even more violent spin in the opposite direction.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
38 damage model?
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2004, 03:16:44 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot

even thought one of ya ... dont know diddly bout flyin the 38 ... ;)

Hey!  I resemble that remark!

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
38 damage model?
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2004, 03:21:14 PM »
He was talking about me damn it!
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
38 damage model?
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2004, 03:48:01 PM »
Will the real Burnm please stand up ... ;)
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline X2Lee

• Silver Member
38 damage model?
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2004, 03:52:14 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
Hey!  I resemble that remark!

ack-ack

I am an experten in the 38. well except i need to know how to turn off "auto take off" and the trim thingys

and whats that weird thing that sticks off the tail?

Offline crims

• Nickel Member
38 damage model?
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2004, 05:29:32 PM »
Burnm Wrote :    

Sorry bud just trying to help,I realize you turn combat trim off but then you say you had the nose trimmed all the way up.The point im trying to make is that IF you had combat trim on in a prolonged turn fight it would move the elevator to the position your using manually.I personally never trim the nose that far and apparently neither does murdr.We use a more neutral elevator position,dont trim the nose all the way up.It might not turn quite as well but its not gonna get in that nasty stall either.

Works just fine this way for me Also

Crims
479th Raiders
Life's to Short Don't Forget To Laugh 479Th Raiders FG

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
38 damage model?
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2004, 05:53:12 PM »
The weird thing that hangs off the horizontal stabilizer,is a counter weight X2Lee.Leave the auto pilot on,as P38's are very easy to take off in anyways;)
IronDog
475th Fighter Group "Satans Angels"

Offline eilif

• Silver Member
38 damage model?
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2004, 06:00:48 PM »
i have been playing around with triming all the way up as i merge and then putting it in a more neutral position, if i have plenty of e to trade for angle (only tried this when fighting other p38's). Anyone else do this? l. (this is for the looping stall fight)
Blixen and a few others use the dive flaps on the merge too, havent got that to work for me.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
38 damage model?
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2004, 06:37:05 PM »
Two months ago I talked to a real 38 pilot (as long as my 8yo son would let me lol) I really grilled him on the stall characteristics under different situations.  What he told me is pretty much exactly what Lockheeds Hanger Time described.  
The AH2 FM is alot closer to everything Ive learned about the 38 than AH1 was.  I agree with others here that it still reacts under some conditions unrealisticly.  Im just still appriciative of the recent improvements, and reluctant to whine too quick or too loudly about imperfections.

bah, was gonna address tirmming, but gotta pick-up kids =(

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
38 damage model?
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2004, 06:41:44 PM »
KoMbat TriMM  wurks  four MEee.  ;)
~S~
Karma, it follows you every where you go...

++The Blue Knights++

Offline X2Lee

• Silver Member
38 damage model?
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2004, 07:20:02 PM »
Originally posted by IronDog
The weird thing that hangs off the horizontal stabilizer,is a counter weight X2Lee.Leave the auto pilot on,as P38's are very easy to take off in anyways;)
IronDog
475th Fighter Group "Satans Angels"

I been try in to loose some weight. Ifn I fly slow and really straight in front of ya, think you can pick that nasty lil bugger off wid out hurting my ruddars?

I like donuts still.:D

Offline Muddie

• Copper Member
38 damage model?
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2004, 07:21:11 PM »
Ummm tommy just which nasty lil bugger you talking bout???   You say it hangs down between your rudders?

:eek:

Offline X2Lee

• Silver Member
38 damage model?
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2004, 07:21:15 PM »
Originally posted by killnu
KoMbat TriMM  wurks  four MEee.  ;)
~S~

soory dood combatt trim aint l33t

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
38 damage model?
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2004, 07:49:03 PM »
The objects that stick out top and bottom in the direct center of the tail... Lead weights that the army wanted Johnson to try out while everyone was figuratively speaking "trying to crack the compression nut."  Johnson was critical of those weights, not sure why they remained in the design after the mechanics of compression was worked out.

Was standing under the tail of a p38 chatting with FF1, and realized I absentmindedly had my hand on the bottom lead weight.  I was like 'oh cool, thats what that thing is like in real life'
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 07:53:00 PM by Murdr »