Author Topic: HT, how about unperking the Spit14?  (Read 1381 times)

Offline MnkyMeat

• Zinc Member
HT, how about unperking the Spit14?
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2004, 05:42:23 PM »
What the wings aren't cliped?

yah you are right ,,, I havent flown it in a realy long time.

And yes to add to your coment Karnak. . .  Yet the La7 should definately be perked!  aswell as some of the later Luftwaffe planes . ..   but i cant say wich ones cuz I dont fly them. . . The P51D is borderline perk plane  ,,, i see it is superior in may ways,
the only reason its not perked because its such a populare plane,,, every one knows waht a p51 is and want to fly it,, would start a lynch mob if you perked that one, lol.

But ya the whole purpose of the "PERKED" plane is to give the game some balace and keep it interesting...  sure some people will fly older planes for fun and for the perk ratio, , ,  but that wont last long, when they are constantly out performed by superior later model fighters.

"I like em perky!"

MonkeyMeat

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2004, 06:16:36 PM »
They are perked because they are later models of planes,, ,

If U unperk them thats the only spit anyone will fly!

Well, we already have everybody flying the La-7 instead of the La-5FN.

Everybody flying the P-51D instead of the P-51B(and what's more; the "Mustang squadrons" are so upset that they don't get to fly D-Stangs when SBM is in effect,  that they're threatening to quit, when there's always the B-Stang...)

We already have everybody flying the Bf109G-10 instead of the G-2 or G-6(well, actually... Luftweenies take pride in flying masochistic planes...so they do use a lot of G-2s and G-6s too...)

...and we already have everybody flying the Fw190D-9 instead of the A-5 or the A-8. (well.. same Luftweenies in this case too...)

So, what's wrong with every Spit dweeb flying the ultimate Spitfire the RAF plane set can offer, when everybody else does the same with their planes?

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2004, 06:25:59 PM »
you guys have your opinions but im telling you if the thing gets un perked youll see a whole arena of them... its just that good of a aircraft....

We already have an arena full of certain planes.

People always seem to forget that their favorite planes somehow don't belong in that 'overused' category, but the truth is, the arena is still dominated by four plane types doing 40% usage.

The Spit14 is a formiddable plane. No doubt one of the best in the set. But I don't believe anyone accustomed to the running speed of the P-51D or the pure fighting power of the La-7, would give his plane up for the Spit14.

In the worst case scenario it might do 20% in overall usage, and that still is worth only 8 perks according to the past incidence of the C-hog.

you guys fly the spit14 more and youll see that its really one of the best in the game.. even for the MA and its chaos...

No one's denying the Spit14s a good plane. The question is, is it really a super-plane worth 50~60 perks to pay, when the arena is already full of its peers - other super planes of other countries?

In terms of balance the La-7 and Yak-9U can fight it in almost equal terms.

The Bf109G-10 is slightly inferior in pure dogfighting prowess, but outruns it and outclimbs it(or rather, outlasts it in WEP and then it decisively outclimbs it).

The P-51D and the Fw190D-9 outrun it by a hefty margin at deck alts, which is the typical MA combat condition.

And ALL of those planes, are free.

So why's only the Spit14 so expensive? It was expensive from its beginning. Nobody tested it out as a  free plane.

Its a mustang that can turn like a spit and climb like a g10...

Nope.

Offline leitwolf

• Nickel Member
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2004, 02:12:53 AM »
Originally posted by B17Skull12
unperking the spit14 would basicly bring h2h style gameplay to the MA.  all i even see in there is spit14's

I doubt this very much. Today, people still fly the Spitfire MkV and the IX is free.

I do agree a free Spit XIV might be too much to bear for the first tour before the "new" factor wears off. In beta at some point the Tempests were free which was enough to convince me it's good that it has it's price in the MA.
The Spitfire 14, while having a comparable price, is a different beast alltogether. It cannot outrun the most widely used free planes.
It's not the quad-Hizooka Uber-Lala the Tempest is, it's a dogfighter leaning towards medium E tacticts by nature. The Pony will beat it hands down in the BnZ game, a SpitV will fly circles around it in the TnB department. It can come out on top of most planes in a 1on1 when used correctly but it's lacking the deck speed to make it a dominating many-vs-many plane the P51D, 190D-9 and La-7 are.

Unperked, it would see high usage, no doubt. Yet, offering another high-performance plane suited for MA duty for free will increase variety, a good thing imho.
IF we end up having an Arena full of it i'm the first to say perk it again.
Drop it's price into the 2-5 points range first and let's see what happens from there. it's worth a try i think :)
veni, vidi, vulchi.

Offline Zwerg

• Copper Member
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2004, 04:56:26 AM »
Icons:
Give all the planes a detailed icon. Like it is now we can identify from far out a C202/C205, an F4F/F6F/FM2, but not a 109F/109G. It 's difficult enough to handle the mixed bag in the MA. By the way: In the real world the opponents knew exactly what type of aircraft the other side had at a given time.

Spit14 perk:
I think the new gunnery model changed things much. At least reducing the perks for the Spit14 wouldn't be a problem.

Btw: I'm flying LW ;)

mofa

PS: Little hijack. Make different colors for every country! :D
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 10:02:29 AM by Zwerg »

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2004, 03:39:25 PM »
Well, after flying it some, I still haven't changed my mind.  The performance doesn't really warrant the large price tag.  It is kinda funny though, I had people chasing me home and stuff trying to vulch me on landing.  That and people started flying even more timidly than normal around me... bore n zoom pass, start spraying at 800 and break off, then run... that was the typical "fight" after I'd flown a few sorties in one area.  

At 10-15k is it a pretty good plane performance wise, it accelerates very quickly (better than the G-10 I think), it can still climb at over 4k fpm on WEP, and it has a pretty fast top speed.  However, it does have some pretty nasty slow speed handling problems, I did stall out pretty wickedly a couple times in really slow speed knife fights.  Don't think I died because of any of them, but it does have a pretty nasty stall.  

All in all, this plane is probably just about perfect for my style of fighting.  I might just fly it all the time.  I don't think Joe Newbie would be able to use this planes strengths though, so I doubt it would be very popular even if it was unperked.

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2004, 12:38:47 AM »
hear ya Urchin

today i took up a plane iv been flying of late the F4U4 will as i fly to a base at 12k i run into a P51D and a LA7 flying at 15k and of course they both dove on me i hit wep and dove i outran the P51 very soon but the LALA kept up for awhile and when i got to my base a other guy was coming to help me so then i started a turning fight to help him out so he can get a shot

well in 4 turns i was blasted out of the sky using flaps and trying to turn the F4U4 as hard as i could

i was pretty upset about how the LA7 so well matched the F4U4 i almost logged

then i uped a Spit14 and killed 2 La7s a Yak and 109F-4 :D

the Spit14 is just a monster
known as Arctic in the main

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2004, 06:43:47 AM »
Originally posted by Kweassa

So why's only the Spit14 so expensive? It was expensive from its beginning. Nobody tested it out as a  free plane.

Nope.

Spit 14 , F4u-4 and TA152 should all have a lower perk cost . say 10-15  odd sounds good to me, get them in the air , what's the point of them sitting in the hangar. Stirke fear into the heart of the lala's !   ;)

Either all variant tags should go, or all variants should be tagged. If 109 can be anything from the F to the G-10 , the Spit's and the F4u's should all be the same. ( including perk variants)

Personally I think  - untag them all , part of the fun/challenge is working out which one you are up against in the middle of the fight.

Spit14's unperked  -  The fact that the Spitfire is one of the most popular planes in the game , and that people being people seem to gravitate to the most uber variant they can , I think it's dangerous to fully unperk the spit ,  just make it more affordable.

I like your perk model though Kweassa , it seems to me the perk system could be better utilized in encouraging broader use of the planeset.

Also , I think the MA dynamics should be tweaked every now and then just to mix things up a bit,  change the scenery , is anyone  not sick and tired of badly flown Lala's , I guess at least we could have a change of scenery and see badly flown spit14's for a couple of months  :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 06:50:05 AM by Redd »
I come from a land downunder

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2004, 11:25:14 AM »
Only thing that sucks about the Spit14 is it can't zoom for ****.  Died twice to slower planes out-zooming me and spraying away with .50s as I stalled out above em.  Kinda makes it tough to E-fight when you can't outzoom someone you are going 100 mph faster than.