Author Topic: Utter Crap  (Read 4962 times)

Offline Warp

• Zinc Member
Utter Crap
« Reply #135 on: August 16, 2004, 07:41:53 PM »

You're right, not everyone comes to the BBS, but then again, there is nothing stopping them from doing so either.  It's also quite possible many do not come here because they are happy enough with the game as is that they don't feel the need to come here to discuss anyhting.  It's also possible that many come, read the posts, read the announcements and never post at all.  Your argument holds no merit in this respect.  

The BBS is a perfectly viable solution for discussions as BBS's have been since day one (before the worldwide web, back when BBS's were dialed into).  It's kind of the point of a BBS actually.  The BBS provides for interaction with everyone participating, not just between you and HT in your private e-mails.

I can imagine the outcry that would ensue should HT go to an e-mail solution and then decides to implement someone's suggestion.  That poor slob would be accused of any number of things, not to mention the whining that would start on the BBS about not having a fair say or not being able to express opinions on the matter.  No, I think the BBS is the best solution in this case.  Of course, that's my opinion...and I'm sticking to it :-)

Offline kj714

• Silver Member
Utter Crap
« Reply #136 on: August 16, 2004, 07:51:35 PM »
I'm sure they find the bbs useful for feedback, but I think they also rely on their own knowledge of what makes a good experience for their customers.

Is there really anything that could have been done to "promote balance" that wouldn't have caused just as much outcry? I think any approach that caused a material change in the game to balance things out would've been met with as much resistance, even some of the alternatives that are being discussed now.

The Rook RJO was wildly successful, a little too much maybe.

Offline kj714

• Silver Member
Utter Crap
« Reply #137 on: August 16, 2004, 08:03:22 PM »
Actually HT is somewhat of a prophet:

"Giving rewards to the lower number side, while some what helping out the getting screwed feeling does not seem to provide a large enough force to move people across countrys.

Had considered new players to the lower side, but this does nothing to help out short term balance, and allso provides a force for people to want to go to the higher number side. I.E. If your on the high side, you have lots of dweebs to kill.

Limiting plane selection on the high side could possibly work. But im not sure there would be any less complaints than for the time limit. Can hear all thow , how come "Insert fav plane here" is limited and not the "Insert fav dweeb complaint plane here" is not."

Geez, it's a good thing the time limit dealio got tossed, I'd even feel sorry for the high side on that.

PS: I think I'm changing my handle to "PigHamr"

Offline 4510

• Copper Member
Utter Crap
« Reply #138 on: August 16, 2004, 09:14:33 PM »
Originally posted by flyingaround

Your suggestion to send out mass emails with every change in the product is just plain silly.

I think I mentioned major changes.... not every change.

Your people skills are lackin' bub.  Had I been HT, after you flamed me on MY OWN BBS, I woulda told you to take your measly 14.95 and shove it.  (keep it up though, he still might...)  You need this game alot more than he need 15 bucks.

While I would like this game to continue to succeed in a big way... ah no... I don't need it... or for that matter the $14.95.  But if I'm going to do a charitable donation I want a receipt for tax purposes.

Offline 4510

• Copper Member
Utter Crap
« Reply #139 on: August 16, 2004, 09:19:18 PM »
Originally posted by Warp

You're right, not everyone comes to the BBS, but then again, there is nothing stopping them from doing so either.  It's also quite possible many do not come here because they are happy enough with the game as is that they don't feel the need to come here to discuss anyhting.  It's also possible that many come, read the posts, read the announcements and never post at all.  Your argument holds no merit in this respect.  

The BBS is a perfectly viable solution for discussions as BBS's have been since day one (before the worldwide web, back when BBS's were dialed into).  It's kind of the point of a BBS actually.  The BBS provides for interaction with everyone participating, not just between you and HT in your private e-mails.

I can imagine the outcry that would ensue should HT go to an e-mail solution and then decides to implement someone's suggestion.  That poor slob would be accused of any number of things, not to mention the whining that would start on the BBS about not having a fair say or not being able to express opinions on the matter.  No, I think the BBS is the best solution in this case.  Of course, that's my opinion...and I'm sticking to it :-)

Good points... but if you are making a major change... wouldn't it be a nice "personal touch" to send something directly each subscriber that describes the situation, what is at stake and seek input?  EVEN if the player was directed to the appropriate portion of the BBS to participate in the process.

Offline 4510

• Copper Member
Utter Crap
« Reply #140 on: August 16, 2004, 09:22:15 PM »
Originally posted by kj714
I'm sure they find the bbs useful for feedback, but I think they also rely on their own knowledge of what makes a good experience for their customers.

Is there really anything that could have been done to "promote balance" that wouldn't have caused just as much outcry? I think any approach that caused a material change in the game to balance things out would've been met with as much resistance, even some of the alternatives that are being discussed now.

The Rook RJO was wildly successful, a little too much maybe.

Well I guess I don't think that all people in Rookland are heathens.... and would like to think that if the situation was presented to the Squad COs, that some would be willing to work the issue with their squads and you'd see voluntary movement.  Salesman for the effort where the rubber meets the road so to speak.

Persuasion and salemanship instead of a forced solution.

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Utter Crap
« Reply #141 on: August 16, 2004, 09:41:43 PM »
Here's another thought, 4510 -- wouldn't the people who have the most interest, adn the most articulate involvement in the game, be the best resource for exploring changes?

I mean, who needs several hundred variants of "that sucks" and "that rocks"? realistically, that's what you'd be getting with the mass email idea. Just look at what the text buffer was like right after the update -- not exactly "Meet the Press" quality exchanges there....

It jsut makes sense to use the BBS the way HT has. And give the guy major credit, 4510 -- how many game designers run this kind of forum, listen to the feedback proactively, remain willing to change direction based on players' suggestions, and EVEN BE PRESENT ONLINE FOR A COUPLE HOURS DURING THE INEVITABLE WHINE FEST when the changes kick in? HT's dedication to the customer base seemed almost masochistic Friday.

And you're whining because he didnt do more? Give  me a break.

I dare you to suggest that you know how to do things better -- and if you think you do, stop complaining about AH and go develop your superior product.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
Utter Crap
« Reply #142 on: August 16, 2004, 10:42:27 PM »
Originally posted by Shane
i don't call any planes "gurl planes." i don't denigrate anyone's plane choice, only the weak-arsed way they fly them.

;)
LIAR!:D
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline kj714

• Silver Member
Utter Crap
« Reply #143 on: August 17, 2004, 12:18:14 PM »
Originally posted by 4510
Well I guess I don't think that all people in Rookland are heathens.... and would like to think that if the situation was presented to the Squad COs, that some would be willing to work the issue with their squads and you'd see voluntary movement.  Salesman for the effort where the rubber meets the road so to speak.

Persuasion and salemanship instead of a forced solution.

Doubt it, why would they? What squads have switched with the new solution? Ever tried to move a squad from one country to another country? Pretty tough, causes lots of problems,  plus I think a lot of squad CO's will tell ya for the most part it's not a monarchy, the king says move so we move. Really good way to rip up your squad.

Just to try out your theory, why don't you guys come knit for a while or even bish? Any discussion going on in your squad to do such, to help things out?

I really believe that the ultimate effect of this will just be to get some of the more occasional flyers to get good in more difficult planes.  Has there been much side switching by anyone? I still see the same names in the same places, it seems like.

PS, never said anything about heathens.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 01:20:37 PM by kj714 »

Offline Buzzz

• Zinc Member
Utter Crap
« Reply #144 on: August 17, 2004, 09:38:30 PM »
Originally posted by kj714
Just to try out your theory, why don't you guys come knit for a while or even bish? Any discussion going on in your squad to do such, to help things out?

Usually people use the term "country" when talking about the sides but I really think a more accurate term would be "team".  I personally have a problem with turning my guns on the guys I consider part of my "team" and who I normally fly with night after night.  It has nothing to do with chess pieces or even country loyalty.  I think it has more to do with my lifetime of programming and exposure to organized sports where you are expected to show loyalty to your "team".  The technology needed to write code to patch human social behaviour is just not available at this time.

PS, never said anything about heathens.

Well... if the Knits and Bishs don't have live sheep sacrifices then for sure count me out.  

-Buzzz

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Utter Crap
« Reply #145 on: August 17, 2004, 09:54:11 PM »
so you've never played any sort of pick-up game or other adversarial game with your friends? you've been structured and regimented all your life?
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline 4510

• Copper Member
Utter Crap
« Reply #146 on: August 18, 2004, 12:36:09 AM »
Originally posted by Simaril

I mean, who needs several hundred variants of "that sucks" and "that rocks"? realistically, that's what you'd be getting with the mass email idea. Just look at what the text buffer was like right after the update -- not exactly "Meet the Press" quality exchanges there....

Would we be better having that discussion BEFORE the change was made or after?

And you're whining because he didnt do more? Give  me a break.

Is every opinion that doesn't jive with someone else's whining?  That word seems horribly overused on this BBS.

I dare you to suggest that you know how to do things better -- and if you think you do, stop complaining about AH and go develop your superior product.

Designing a game.... I have no chance.  Well... I won't go that far.  I might be able to pull off a game design... speaking purely of... mechanics... game play etc.  I don't know if it would be better or not.  I mean except for the Perks and  Reset.... this game doesn't differ markedly from AW.  Same basic premise, same three country model, field capture, etc.  Certainly far better execution in the varieties of planes and choices etc.   (geez you got me thinking too hard)  So yeah... I might be able to pull off a game design.  Coding... nope.... no chance... don't know the first thing about it but to stay away from it.

As for managing the player base... or presenting ideas... or ways to deal with people.  I'm comfortable enough to think I could do as well or better.  (since you asked)  Of course I've no way to prove that, since I don't have an online game to prove it with.  I've over 20 years experience dealing with managing people and efforts at multiple levels in pleasant and adverse environments and producing outstanding results when a LOT more was at stake than an online flight sim.  So yeah... I'd be willing to give it a shot.

:)

Offline Warp

• Zinc Member
Utter Crap
« Reply #147 on: August 18, 2004, 06:00:43 PM »
Good points... but if you are making a major change... wouldn't it be a nice "personal touch" to send something directly each subscriber that describes the situation, what is at stake and seek input? EVEN if the player was directed to the appropriate portion of the BBS to participate in the process.

Yes, I would agree with you on that.

Offline Bunyip

• Zinc Member
Nice
« Reply #148 on: August 19, 2004, 06:14:42 AM »
Re: chew on the tards

I believe the more appropriate term that should be used is
'scat muncher':lol

Offline A_Clown

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Utter Crap
« Reply #149 on: August 19, 2004, 04:06:53 PM »
I notice ole droolgoon or dragqueen or whatever the author of this post name is/was, hasn't been around lately....... Gee- I wonder why?

I'd also like to point out that after all the bichin I did over the numbers imbalance, & with the new ENY change, I still have been able to fly any plane I want, any time I wanted .

A_Clown