Author Topic: Any old Air Warriors out there?????  (Read 150548 times)

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
Re: Nostalgia
« Reply #180 on: June 01, 2005, 10:25:15 PM »
Originally posted by Airmigan

I heard some of you talk about big bills.  I don't know what the record was for the largest monthly bill, but I do recall a couple over $1000.00 that I paid.  I was rolling in money back then and it was excessive I know, but I enjoyed every dime of it.

Air...

I know of an AH programmer that melted more than one credit card winning camps in AW. :)
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Any old Air Warriors out there?????
« Reply #181 on: June 02, 2005, 08:16:16 AM »
"I remember it was kind of disheartening later on when...the game was bombarded with new people. It kind of lost the closeness we had earlier. Not complaining, mind ya. It's good that it was opened up to more people, but we all knew it would never be the same again. That's when I started losing interest in it. I think I enjoyed the close camraderie almost as much as the flying, and it was near impossible to achieve that with the heavily populated arenas. "

I just wanted to say I enjoyed reading your post Airmigan. As I have of those of others who recall those times from the 80's and early 90's: players such as Vermin, DoK, NB, Horn, Sharkbait and so many others who've wandered in here at one time or another and shared "the early days" of online aircombat.

Anyway.  I do have to say those words of yours that I quoted above sure ring out loud and true. For the same dubious "phenomenon" had occured here in AH also.  Ironically (imo)  it was the demise of AW that brought that about.

Last.   You left yourself out in your recollection so permit me to reprint DoK's words posted in Category 6, Topic 16 on Jan 30, 1993....   ;)

"Airmigan - A consistantly great player. Good at everything, always a threat, always makes positive contributions in RT, fun to fly with."[/I]

Offline Airmigan

• Zinc Member
Thanks
« Reply #182 on: June 02, 2005, 06:19:18 PM »
I appreciate your kind words there Westy and it's good to know that Dok said such good things about me also.  He and I always got along pretty well except for one time I remember when I was flying on an alt I had made and shot him down, ending a very nice streak he had going.  I think he was in competition with someone he didn't like much, perhaps Biggles, and I blew it for him.  All I remember well was that his rath poured out on me in big heaps and I couldn't apologize enough for it.  :-)

Nobaddy, I think I know who you are talking about.  I do know for sure that my credit card wasn't the only one that had burn marks on it back then.  :-)

Offline VGhost

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.113th.org
« Reply #183 on: June 02, 2005, 06:31:39 PM »
Lived It, Loved It!
:aok

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
« Reply #184 on: June 02, 2005, 11:13:32 PM »
Air...

I will never forget the Saturdays dogfiting you in the towns of old Iron Bottom Sound. That was definitely the best time of my online life. :)
NoBaddy (NB)

Offline AWmoggy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #185 on: June 03, 2005, 02:14:41 PM »
I will never forget the Saturdays dogfiting you in the towns of old Iron Bottom Sound. That was definitely the best time of my online life.

More fun than being the virtual boss of umpteen volunteers?

I'm shocked

-moggy

Offline Alky

• Nickel Member
« Reply #186 on: June 03, 2005, 02:27:24 PM »
Originally posted by AWmoggy

I'm shocked

-moggy

Can this be the one and only Moggy?
This place is becoming the retirement home of old Air Warriors :D:D:aok
George "AlkyŽ" Fisher

Offline AWmoggy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #187 on: June 03, 2005, 02:29:16 PM »
Can this be the one and only Moggy?

Who else would want to be?

hiyas

-moggy

Offline Don

• Silver Member
« Reply #188 on: June 03, 2005, 02:32:31 PM »
>>More fun than being the virtual boss of umpteen volunteers?

I'm shocked

-moggy<<

Hiya Moggy!!!:D

Gee manetti! Long time, and good to see yer type. I hope life has been good for you and yours.

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
« Reply #189 on: June 03, 2005, 05:39:27 PM »
Airmigan & Moggy I remember you both.:aok

I don't remember my handle from the Dos/Genie days. I do still have my Amiga around, I should fire it up and see whats on it.:D

After all the changes to AW and folllowing it to AOL, it was like Airmigan said in an earlier post, it just wasn't the same.

Pretty much quit after that. Flew a little of Combat flight simulator but quickly got my  fill of that. It was kinda like when AW went online on AOL. Clubbing the baby seals.

I found this game a few months ago, found I liked it and have been here since...except now I  am the baby seal.

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline Airmigan

• Zinc Member
« Reply #190 on: June 03, 2005, 07:41:16 PM »
I will never forget the Saturdays dogfiting you in the towns of old Iron Bottom Sound. That was definitely the best time of my online life.

Haha, that was always a lot of fun for me.  It came from flying one of the earliest versions of Flight Simulator and then moving up to Air Warrior.  Flight Simulator was kind of boring back then (still is in a way today), and I would go down low in the cities and fly in between the buildings.  It just carried over to Air Warrior and was twice as much fun when you were doing the same thing and dodging bullets at the same time.  :-)

Moggy!  Good to see you again.  I remember you well.  Always a good warrior of the skies.

Vghost, were you Ghost,  or Ghost Rider, or someone else altogether?

Gotta tell you all about the day I had today.  It was a great one.  I had the pleasure of making the day for one of the real old air warriors from WWII.  As I mentioned before, in another topic, I discovered that one of the people who work part-time for the city here along with me was a B25 pilot in the pacific with the 13th AF.

The last time I talked with him, I gathered info about which group and squadron he flew with and then I came home and put Google to work.  I checked out almost every website that came up on the searches I did and downloaded about 60 pictures of planes, pilots, crewmen, and targets.

Today I had about 45 minutes to spare and took my CD over to the place where he works and sat him down in front of one of the computers there and pulled them up for him to look at.  He was like a kid in a toy store.  He doesn't do computers btw, so he had never seen anything like this and was really awed by what he saw.

There were pictures of planes from his squadron that he recognized and he also named some of the crewmembers in some of the other pictures.  But when I pulled up a picture of a museum plane that some guy owns in New Mexico, he lit up big time.  "That's one of the planes I flew!" he said.  The gleam in his eye absolutely made my day.  I watched him out of the corner of my eye as he looked over the pictures of "Heavenly Body", one of the B-25's he flew back then.

I promised him that I would print all the pictures of his old ride that were on that website and bring them to him next time I was over to visit.  He was thrilled.  I tell you what....pleasure comes in many ways to us all, but lighting up this old air warrior from the past really did it for me today.  It's a shame that these guys won't be around much longer for us to talk with and admire, and I plan on making it back over there as often as possible to chat with him some more.  He's in pretty good shape for his age, but when you are as old as he is, today could be your last.

Offline Horn

• Silver Member
« Reply #191 on: June 03, 2005, 11:24:44 PM »
Originally posted by Airmigan
 I tell you what....pleasure comes in many ways to us all, but lighting up this old air warrior from the past really did it for me today.  It's a shame that these guys won't be around much longer for us to talk with and admire, and I plan on making it back over there as often as possible to chat with him some more.  He's in pretty good shape for his age, but when you are as old as he is, today could be your last.

A rockin post, Air.

An admirable thing you did there.

h

(oh and PS--does Moggy stilll know how to fly? )

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
« Reply #192 on: June 04, 2005, 12:12:19 AM »
Originally posted by AWmoggy

I'm shocked

-moggy

Hiya moggy....

That was one of my worst decisions. All that crap really took the fun out of the game. Much better to be here and just be another one of the peons. :)
NoBaddy (NB)

Offline Oddball-CAF

• Silver Member
« Reply #193 on: June 04, 2005, 01:00:43 AM »
OD,
  I was "4776" back in the old days of AW.

Oddball
Cactus Air Force

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
« Reply #194 on: June 04, 2005, 09:31:09 AM »
Originally posted by Oddball-CAF
OD,
  I was "4776" back in the old days of AW.

Oddball
Cactus Air Force

OD as in OverDog?
NoBaddy (NB)