Author Topic: Guns don't kill people, nah.  (Read 2084 times)

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
Guns don't kill people, nah.
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2004, 02:40:52 PM »
Originally posted by Ben Franklin
Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for temporal safety deserve neither
to be safe or free.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2004, 04:13:13 PM »
Originally posted by Curval
So, the gun nuts aspire to attain the wisdom of Archie Bunker.

lol..that kind of figures. :rofl

Gun nuts? I wouldn't describe people that wish to hold on to their right to own guns as nuts myself.

Every person I know that owns a gun ( just about everyone I know) is a rational, law abiding citizen.

In fact, a  few people I have known that do not own guns have all been arested for driving drunk.

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2004, 04:50:02 PM »
Guns permit impulse killing.  Many of us have been in situations where we were angry enough to shoot someone.  Had we had a gun in our hand, no doubt a few of us would have done it.

Bats/rocks/whatever can be dodged.  People armed with rocks/bats can easily be disarmed.  Bats/rocks don't lend themselves well to impulse killing.  They might work great in a one on one situation, but then we're talking premeditation.

curly

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2004, 04:54:58 PM »
Originally posted by AKcurly
Guns permit impulse killing.  Many of us have been in situations where we were angry enough to shoot someone.  Had we had a gun in our hand, no doubt a few of us would have done it.

Bats/rocks/whatever can be dodged.  People armed with rocks/bats can easily be disarmed.  Bats/rocks don't lend themselves well to impulse killing.  They might work great in a one on one situation, but then we're talking premeditation.

curly

Then you should be tried and executed.  A criminal is a criminal.  You won't take away my weapons because someone else is a killer.

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2004, 05:04:06 PM »
Originally posted by Martlet
Then you should be tried and executed.  A criminal is a criminal.  You won't take away my weapons because someone else is a killer.

That's one of the problems, dude.  What sentence do you think the brothers will receive?  At best, it will be murder 2.  They'll be on the street in 5 years, even money.  

The murderers probably aren't criminals (in the normal sense.)  I would wager they were drunk & angry.  Drunks aren't well known as paragons of reason or responsibility.

IMO, gun laws will have zero effect on habitual criminals, but they would stop this type of senseless murder.

curly

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2004, 05:08:01 PM »
Then attack the legal system if you don't think the sentence is harsh enough.  That's hardly my fault.  

IMO, gun laws will have zero effect on habitual criminals, but they would stop this type of senseless murder.

That's like saying you shouldn't be allowed to own a car because your neighbor drinks and drives.  Idiocy.  Sell your nanny state somewhere else.  I'm not buying.

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2004, 05:11:54 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
99.9 % of the criminals agree with you! That's why I carry. :)

So you carry a gun because they carry guns, and they carry guns because they carry guns..They carry guns because they carry guns....  Sounds like a great model for society, I wonder why more countries don't deploy it.

- Every day, more than 80 Americans die from gun violence.  

- The rate of firearm deaths among kids under age 15 is almost 12 times higher in the United States than in 25 other industrialized countries combined.

- American kids are 16 times more likely to be murdered with a gun, 11 times more likely to commit suicide with a gun, and nine times more likely to die from a firearm accident than children in 25 other industrialized countries combined.

...-Gixer

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2004, 05:14:54 PM »
Originally posted by Gixer

- Every day, more than 80 Americans die from gun violence.  

...-Gixer

117 Americans die each day from automobiles.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2004, 05:18:10 PM »
Drunk drives usually doesn't jump in the car just to go out and drive over someone on purpose.

Drugs are illegal, but people drive on drugs too.. they often use guns too, which aren't too hard to get in USA due to large amounts of guns.
Illegal or legal guns, the amount of legal guns reflects in the amount of illegal guns.

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2004, 05:18:55 PM »
Originally posted by Fishu
Drunk drives usually doesn't jump in the car just to go out and drive over someone on purpose.

Drugs are illegal, but people drive on drugs too.. they often use guns too, which aren't too hard to get in USA due to large volume.
Illegal or legal guns, the volume of legal guns reflects in the amount of illegal guns.

Can someone translate this for me?

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2004, 05:22:50 PM »
Then attack the legal system if you don't think the sentence is harsh enough.  That's hardly my fault.  

That's like saying you shouldn't be allowed to own a car because your neighbor drinks and drives.  Idiocy.  Sell your nanny state somewhere else.  I'm not buying.

I'm reasonably happy with the legal system.  I don't want to see drunks executed for inappropriate behavior (including murder.)

Idiocy?  Now the stretch from "2 disgruntled individuals kill 2 men" to "shouldn't be allowed to own a car because your neighbor drinks and drives", well now, that's idiocy. :)

curly

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2004, 05:24:33 PM »
Can someone translate this for me?

Did you lose your English primer, Martlet?  What exactly didn't you understand?

curly

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2004, 05:25:26 PM »
117 Americans die each day from automobiles.

LMFAO what a refrence to make.

LOL too funny, think of another.  :rofl

...-Gixer

Offline ravells

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2004, 05:28:25 PM »
Originally posted by Maverick
My training as a defensive tactice instructor also proved that a knife attacker has a better than even chance of killing a gun wielding person if the distance between the two of them is 21 feet or less.

That's amazing Maverick. How does that work? (given two people who are equally prepared to use their weapons?)

- Genuinely interested. What's stopping the bloke with the gun just shooting before the knifeman gets too close?

Ravs

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2004, 05:37:34 PM »
Originally posted by AKcurly

Idiocy?  Now the stretch from "2 disgruntled individuals kill 2 men" to "shouldn't be allowed to own a car because your neighbor drinks and drives", well now, that's idiocy. :)

curly

Not in the least bit.  Explain to me how I shouldn't be able to own a gun because you can't refrain from shooting your neighbor is different than my not being able to own a car because I can't refrain from driving drunk.

Did you lose your English primer, Martlet? What exactly didn't you understand?

Any of it.  I have absolutely zero idea what he is trying to say.

LMFAO what a refrence to make.

LOL too funny, think of another.

Funny?  Maybe.  Accurate?  Definitely.