Author Topic: whats the best P47?  (Read 4463 times)

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
whats the best P47?
« on: September 13, 2004, 01:32:33 AM »
alot of times i want to take that monster not for jabo but for AIR-AIR  but im not realy sure which to pick

the 2 that stand out is the D-11 because it is alot lighter

and the D-40 because it has better ENG then the D-11 and better cockpit view

i keep hearing how the D-25 is the best yet iv not seen any proof of it when i looked up the AH1 charts it said it was the same in IB to the P47D-40
known as Arctic in the main

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
whats the best P47?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 02:14:52 AM »
all 3 have a little bit different flight model .

the d 11 and 25 are pritty close,  the d40 is ussually a heavy monster that takes more time to master .

I myself like the d11 . its has a very controllable hi-speed dive and when you get down in the weeds a few notches of flaps give it a suprising turn rate . the jugs love hi alt and really shine up at 30k . Its ussually best to set a hard deck and not follow others below it . (15k is mine normally)  

once you get familiar with it , pony's and dora's become the ussual food for a good jug pilot .
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
whats the best P47?
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 08:41:03 AM »
The D11 is generally the better dogfighter. It's not really lighter, most of the difference is a smaller fuel tank. It has better stability when slow due to high side crosssection (razorback).
visibility? well... at least the ground crew wipes the windows clean...

D25/D40 enjoy the paddle-blade prop which add much needed 500 fpm to climbrate, but they are less manuverable when slow. The D25 can enter a dangerous side-slip if stalled really slow.

D40 has an improved WEP. when light, it climbs and accelerate very nicely on WEP, so it's the better E fighter of the 3.

WEP is precious. without it all jugs feel heavy and under powered compared to other planes. With WEP you are not a 109, but you can hang on in a fight.

If HTC ever model a paddle-blade on the D11 (which most of them had it installed), that would definitly make it the better dogfighter.

Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
whats the best P47?
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 09:53:45 AM »
I like both the D-11 and the D-25 ... preferring the D-25 because of its visabilty. It does climb like a scalded monkey tho ... hehe.

I find that I can bring the D-25 down into the weeds (using mutiple stages of flaps) and be somewhat successful in it. Don't get me wrong here ... you have a very short window in the weeds when fighting the likes of a Spit, but with a good merge, throttle control and flaps, you can wax a Spit, but you better do it fast.

Just last week, I had some awesome fights with a 205 at low alt. I was pleasently surprized at the handling of the D-25.

PS .. It doesn't fair to well against 2 Yaks down low ... eh Ros ?
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
whats the best P47?
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 10:52:39 AM »
For any of the P47's, the difference in handling at low weights is fairly dramatic.  Most people fly them very heavy though and I think that skews the impression of them.  Flown light they can be quite impressive.

The D11 is the lightweight and handles the best but has the crappy view forward.  The D25 is overweight and has the poorest performance.  The D40 is heavy but has the extra power to pull it along a bit better.

In any of the P47's you need to be pretty efficient though and get the job done quickly.  You can't afford to hang around forever while higher E guys get free runs on you.  One thing in AH2 though, the P47's all seem to take a much harder hit to knock down.  Maybe it's the new gunnery so people don't land quite as hard a hit on average, but I've taken some pretty massive damage and still limped home.  I had 2 Spits and a Typhoon all hit me at one point in a tight fight, and some squaddies bailed me out of trouble.  I managed to limp home to land... in AH1 I'd have been done considering how many hispanos hit me, but in AH2 I had oil on the windscreen and some missing parts but enough was still attached to fly home.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
whats the best P47?
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 11:42:51 AM »
Easily the D-25.. the paintjob is wicked cool.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
whats the best P47?
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004, 12:00:12 PM »
Speaking as somebody who's never flown a p47 much,  I took a -25 up lightly loaded with 6 guns and low ammo. I did ... "okay". I wasn't great but I got some kills. And I could still outrun trouble when I needed. Most of this was low on the deck, too. It probably will be MUCH better at altitude.

So, it can perform well, however I was afraid to get into too much of a fight. I'd pursue the angles but I wasn't about to do strict turn fighting. I tried to keep my speed up and I had few complaints from the fighter. Had I known the razorback was better, I'd have taken it (views be damned). Oh well, live and learn.

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
whats the best P47?
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 12:25:15 PM »
"PS .. It doesn't fair to well against 2 Yaks down low ... eh Ros ?"

Sorry Slap ... Tbolt and I were having a discussion ...

Tbolt " I thought you were gonna kill him"

Roscoroo " Nah I was waiting for you to kill him"

Tbolt " well be my guest you kill him"

You were turning that jug real nice Slap ... If it woulda been just Tbolt in a yak you probely would have beat him . I was winging with him teaching him the fine points of flying the Roo"yak"ovich.

I'm shure you'll get even sometime soon
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
whats the best P47?
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 01:33:48 PM »
I like the 11 for looks and agility but I fly the 40 because of the canopy view, climb and zoom quality.

All it needs now are cooler skins.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 01:36:47 PM by Blooz »
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
whats the best P47?
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2004, 02:11:59 PM »
ok i have to ask its realy tempting to take the 8 guns on it with the light ammo load

but is it worth more to take the 6 gun?
known as Arctic in the main

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
whats the best P47?
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2004, 02:16:20 PM »
If your planning on dogfighting take the lighter gun/ammo load , if your jaboing load it up with everything.
Roscoroo ,

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
whats the best P47?
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2004, 05:03:13 PM »
I like the 8 gun light ammo option.

8 guns gives you 25% more firepower for a snapshot than the 6 gun configuration and flying the 47 you'll have lots of those.

The light ammo load doesn't give you alot of trigger time though. You need to be right on target and short bursts.

If I know I'll be going upstairs against buffs on a raid or something I'll take the heavy ammo load but that's a rare thing.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
whats the best P47?
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2004, 08:13:43 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
I like both the D-11 and the D-25 ... preferring the D-25 because of its visabilty. It does climb like a scalded monkey tho ... hehe.

I find that I can bring the D-25 down into the weeds (using mutiple stages of flaps) and be somewhat successful in it. Don't get me wrong here ... you have a very short window in the weeds when fighting the likes of a Spit, but with a good merge, throttle control and flaps, you can wax a Spit, but you better do it fast.

Just last week, I had some awesome fights with a 205 at low alt. I was pleasently surprized at the handling of the D-25.

I was flying the 205 and the Ki-61 last week, and frankly, both have suffered badly in their move to AH2.

As to P-47s. I prefer the D-40 with 6 guns (usually short clip too) and no more than 50% fuel. It'll climb with the Spit9 (after burning off the aux tank) and acceleration is much, much better that either the D-11 or D-25. Just remember, keep the fuel weight low (use a belly tank if need be for transit) and avoid the 8 gun, gozillion rounds option. Most of the guys that you'll run into have absolutely no idea what a light D-40 can do, until they're dead that is.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline jetb123

• Silver Member
whats the best P47?
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2004, 08:20:15 PM »
I like the 25 but I dont know how it handles in ah2.

Offline madness

• Zinc Member
whats the best P47?
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2004, 08:22:23 PM »
Talk to any of the 56th FG guys(Nomde, frenchy, ammo, sancho to name a few), they are the kings of the jug.  Good group of guys I used to fly with a long time ago(here and in ww2ol).  
  But for me, I personally prefer the D-11 model because of its maneouverability(sp?).  Try not to get low and slow with the jug, but incase you do, make sure you know how to reverse a bandit and cause an overshoot.  Again, any of the 56th guys should know how to cause a succesful overshoot.  I got a film around here somewhere that shows what I mean by frenchy against a 190 with higher E, I'll have to try and see if I can find it.

S!