Author Topic: Got the TrackIR Vector Expansion....  (Read 5039 times)

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
Got the TrackIR Vector Expansion....
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2004, 11:16:49 AM »
JB....seen the post on that....unsure....I think the head positions that are saved are irrelevant when using TrackIR although I may be entirely wrong due to the fact I am enamored with the thing and probably wouldnt notice the difference.

I do know that with an adjustment time (granted I havent flown every plane) but you can look in areas that I have never thought of before.

I can actually zoom off the 6 line and look everywhere....very nice feature..this is with vector mind you.

The only beef, if you could call it that, is when I look straight up...there is a flip very fast like your head would do as if watching a bogie pass right overhead and you were watching it.

Pref on my end would be to have it stop at the straight up...then let me move sideways to track.

Probably made no sense there but when my wife (who hates video games cuz they make her sick) said that is the way it should work....she said if she were a pilot she would try to watch it go the same way.

Anyhow.....regards

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2004, 01:24:21 PM »
Guys "STRAP, BUCKEL, BELT, HARNESS" yourselves into a WW2 fighter cockpit with your parachute strapped to your kester. Some of us have. Try to move your head around and see over your shoulder behind you.  Especially from a cockpit like a Hurrican, Pony-B, or P47D-11. Then Add "G" forces and the need to control your plane by keeping your feet on the peddels and pressure on your stick. Thats why rear view mirrors were mounted.

Think about what happens if you go inverted with your harness loose, or go into an uncontrolled spin due to a stall with a loose harness. I was in one once. Wound up with my feet on the dash board and a knot on my head. So thighten the harness enough to keep you in the seat during violent manuvering and you can't see worth didly behind you.

Which part of reality do you want. Looking over your shoulder sitting at home in you computer chair or flying a WW2 fighter in combat? Personally I could use a totally unobstructed view fighting shane. But I've been in fighters and would not change a thing.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2004, 02:19:17 PM »
Hi bustr.

Your assumptions about keeping shoulder belts tight is total incorect.

Lesson 1 when under G's do not turn your head. Turn your hole body. Turning your head can cause nasty things with your neck vertibray.

Leasson 2: When flying inverted make sure you do not have your sholder harness tight. You tighten your lap belt as much as possible, But tighting your sholder harness can cause a condition where your sholders get pined back, and you can not reach the stick.

Now I don't post this on pure conjector. Lesson 1 was taught to me while flying air combat with Bob Shaw.

Lesson 2 was taught to me by my aerobatics instructor.

Basicly the only time you ever tighten your sholder harness is when prepairing for a ditch.

HiTech

Offline wombatt

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2004, 02:30:40 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
Hi bustr.

Your assumptions about keeping shoulder belts tight is total incorect.

Lesson 1 when under G's do not turn your head. Turn your hole body. Turning your head can cause nasty things with your neck vertibray.

Leasson 2: When flying inverted make sure you do not have your sholder harness tight. You tighten your lap belt as much as possible, But tighting your sholder harness can cause a condition where your sholders get pined back, and you can not reach the stick.

Now I don't post this on pure conjector. Lesson 1 was taught to me while flying air combat with Bob Shaw.

Lesson 2 was taught to me by my aerobatics instructor.

Basicly the only time you ever tighten your sholder harness is when prepairing for a ditch.

HiTech

Makes sense.
The very opposite of what you would do in a race car though.
I think that is what is confusing people.

Offline ALF

• Silver Member
      • http://www.mikethinks.com
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2004, 05:02:09 PM »
Originally posted by hitech

Lets hope thats out of a book and not some of that 1st hand knowlege:D

Offline blackfalcon4

• Nickel Member
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2004, 05:30:04 PM »
 TIR3 w/no vector and ver 3.12 SW and older uses your hat views for movement, but it pans through.
 TIR3 w/ver 4.xx does not use the hat views.
 TIR3 w/vector only works w/ver 4.xx,, but it rocks with all axii movement.

" Don't leave home without it"  
 :D

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2004, 05:35:33 PM »
Well hey, instead of arguing who is right, which preference is best, or what color undies oct is wearing, how about trying to satisfy both parties?  

Is this an issue that can be tweaked in AH2 or does this lie exclusively in the realm of the NaturalPoint team?  

If it is the former case, then how much scotch would get us a "Lock XY movement to plane axes" option? :cool:
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2004, 05:49:51 PM »
PINK!

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2004, 05:52:33 PM »
Originally posted by Tarmac
PINK!
you silly man... you met him at the con....

they are either fruit of the loom tighty whities, purple granny panties he stole, or nothing at all.

since he only has 2 pair (the white and the purple) he waits a day to let them cool down before wearing them again.
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2005, 04:26:18 AM »
HiTech,
any chances or considerations for the "option" yet?
Even a "maybe"?

I know I am not alone with this issue. At our Finnish winter con, Blitz 2005, just last weekend, many people tried my TIR3+vector set and most of them agreed with my opinion.

Just consider that fact that people do not move their joysticks in relation to what they see on the screen (when they turn the viewpoint around), but in relation to their body.. in relation to the imaginary plane around themselves.

Why couldn't the tir xyz movements work the same way.. in relation to the same imaginary plane and cockpit.  ;)

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Edbert1

• Silver Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2005, 07:52:13 AM »
Originally posted by guttboy
Could you email me your profile for it so I can have a baseline to work with....

Here's my custom profile:

-
  Edbert-AH

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Offline Yippee38

• Copper Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2005, 09:44:34 AM »
FWIW, I've got the Vector expansion, and I like the way it works just the way it is.  It is totally intuitive for my in all 6DoF.

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2005, 11:22:39 AM »
UPDATE FOR TRACKIR!

Ok first off let me tell you all I am SOLD on this product....it is simply amazing.

The vector expansion is the WAY to go.

Unfortunately once you get used to it (took me a week) you wont ever want to go back to the "old" way of doing things.

Unfortunately....PROTECT YOUR TRACKIR CLIP!!!!!!  My dog got a hold of it and lets just say it was unrecoverable that afternoon when I found the "evidence".

The good thing is that it makes me realize HOW GREAT the product is....It was very unnatural to go back to the hat switch this week.

I called Naturalpoint and spoke with Jim.....he zapped me a new hat clip ASAP.  Unfortunately I am in Colorado and wont be back for a few days to get it.  By far some of the best people to talk with and ask questions on the Trackir product.

They are VERY willing to listen to suggestions and areas for improvement...just call them and you will see what I mean.

Anyhow KUDOS to the Natural point guys and cant wait to get my clip again!

DONT LOSE YOUR CLIPS!!!!!!!

PS pasting the dots to the hat does not work with vector...nor does manufacturing one out of ductape/coathanger/dots work either...trust me I know...LOL:eek:

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2005, 12:56:12 PM »
Originally posted by Yippee38
FWIW, I've got the Vector expansion, and I like the way it works just the way it is.  It is totally intuitive for my in all 6DoF.

Yippee... I am EXTREMELY happy for you. It is great that you are one of those with average perception of 3D environment.

Would you describe me how you use your TIR to check your low 7 o'clock and low 11 o'clock in one fluent motion? You lean right and then you lean left.. right?  Very intuitive for you , I suppose.

How would you check the different directions to, let's say west (assume left side)  of the control tower? Lean left to step out of tower and while turning your head around.... leaning wildly here and there trying to stay in same place out side of the tower???  Yeah, just like in real life... for you , I guess.

Finally, since you are so happy, what do you have against my wish? :( I am not trying to take anything away from you. I am only begging for an option to make it work my way as well.

When looking to my 6, I would not want to push my joystick right to make the plane roll left (=right in relation to the view). Why do I have to lean right to move left inside the cockpit (=right in relation to the view) with tir vector?

Look at the heads in vector software. They do not move like you move in AH. Just try the tower example.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Stone

• Nickel Member
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2005, 04:46:42 AM »
Blauk is right. It does feel strange to the way one checks 6. Its like the pilot sitts backwards.

Maybe AH planes has a rotating chair ;)