Author Topic: Your work day...  (Read 2829 times)

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Your work day...
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2005, 10:29:51 PM »
6:00AM up, drive to store for paper and a super-big gulp(diet coke).  
6:45ish, walk the youngest to her bus stop(100ft away)
7:30ish, Walk the oldest to her bus stop(100yds away)
After that, I monitor the 'puters and the phones, if I am in the office (home), or drive around town talking to Architects, Builders and Owners until,
3:15 walk to the bus stop, pick up youngest.
4:10 walk to the bus stop, pick up oldest.
Work until I am done, usually 5 or 7, doing drawings, proposals or answering emails.

When I am on the road out of town, it is similar, just from a motel room, and I don't get to see the family(2-5 days a month).

Offline crowMAW

• Silver Member
Your work day...
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2005, 10:43:24 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
My day?  You don't wanna know.

Skuzzy's day:

2am - Server beeper goes off...log in and reset.  Check email quickly...20 unread...10 complain about lag, 5 with phantom bugs, 4 with "solid" evidence that Furball is a cheater, 1 email unintelligible rant.

9am - Arrive at work.  Check email 30 unread.  10 say Skuzzy must be a Rook because of the reset...10 say he is a Bish because of the same...5 with phantom bugs...4 with "solid" evidence that ManeTMP is a cheater...1 email unintelligible rant.

10am - Check the BBS.  Mostly unintelligible ranting...one complaint that AH sucks cuz it's unplayable on his laptop with the touchpad and no joystick while sitting at the public library stealing internet from the 56k wi-fi.

11am - Throw moderately heavy objects at HiTech while yelling at him to stop playing online poker and help do paper work for the quarterly tax filing.  Listen to voicemail...10 want something impossible...5 want Skuzzy to give general PC advice...5 general wha-wha complaints about one online child making another online child feel bad...1 unintelligible rant.

1pm - Check email, 40 unread.  20 complain about lag...10 phantom bugs...5 general wha-wha complaints about one online child making another online child feel bad...4 with "solid" evidence that Ezeepkns is a cheater...1 unitelligible rant.

2pm - Call ISP and threaten to pull contract because they have hosed the DNS once again.

3pm - Pet the new programmer...call him nice names and offer to bring him a soda pop and crackers for making AH 2.02 pretty.

4pm - Check email, voicemail and BBS.  20 suggestions for impossible improvements...15 BBS posts to edit because of naughty posters...15 general wha-wha complaints...10 general PC support requests...4 with "solid" evidence that Stang is a cheater...1 unintelligible rant.

5pm - pack for home...makes post-it note to remind self to find out what the hell MacMaw was saying in his unintelligible rants.

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
Your work day...
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2005, 02:43:32 AM »
:rofl
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Your work day...
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2005, 06:00:22 AM »
lol craw :D

Offline lada

• Silver Member
Your work day...
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2005, 07:32:25 AM »
LOL ... i hope its not like that Skuzzy :D

however here is mine...
i wake up around 9-10 AM.
Turn on computer, check few servers.
Mostly everthing is fine so i run for shower, then eat some food.
Then im checking 15 mins last logs on some servers.... its almost 11 AM
Then i find myself boring so i watch the sky.
12-13Am i try to stop looking form my window at home and i go for lunch.
Then i have basicaly nothing important to do untill everything is working fine, so i usualy study something or play with some new piece of software, whitch could make my work easier.

15AM I start to hope that nobody else will call me on my cell phone today
16AM If i have some maintance of some server i usualy leave my home and im going to do it.
18AM dinner
20AM im usualy done and RTB

after 21AM ... sometime i play AH, OPF, or im trying to improve¬ destroy some of my servers.

Well during average week i have to leave my house 2x a week, for  4 hours or so.

its damm hard job to be at home and waiting for something to become Fubar :D

but last week one HDD in one of the servers burned out so i hade to work from 1AM to 6AM. Bloody Western digital ;)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 07:36:05 AM by lada »

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Your work day...
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2005, 07:49:12 AM »
Ok. Octavius is now in second. Lada now has the best job here.

Need an assistant lada. I have to be able to do the "job" from here tho. I can view the logs for you to make your life easyer :lol

Offline lada

• Silver Member
Your work day...
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2005, 08:01:15 AM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
Ok. Octavius is now in second. Lada now has the best job here.

Need an assistant lada. I have to be able to do the "job" from here tho. I can view the logs for you to make your life easyer :lol

yeeep i needed assistant.

I already got one 1 month ago. It is nice to earn 8x more that is an average income over here, but i had problems to carry out that huge responsibility... so i took one guy who work for me and cut down my income by 40%.

At least now i have someone to bore with :D... naaah im trying to keep that guy bussy, i hope to expand a littla bit more now.

Well Nilsen if everything will go as i planed it in next year , i will need salesman.... some proper playboy... i will kep you in my mind :cool:

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Your work day...
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2005, 08:03:17 AM »
Playboy you say!

Thats me :D

Just remember that i cant be bothered to leave my house. Can you send the clients to me or have them call me?

Thx

Offline lada

• Silver Member
Your work day...
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2005, 08:12:25 AM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
Playboy you say!

Thats me :D

Just remember that i cant be bothered to leave my house. Can you send the clients to me or have them call me?

Thx

sure... but you must have video phone  or web cam :cool:

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Your work day...
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2005, 08:15:13 AM »
no problem, i have an iSight connected to one of my macs and a creative cam on my wintendo :cool:

But only send me the good looking customers please. i usualy vomit when seeing ugly people. Needless to say... i have no mirrors in my house.

Offline 2stony

• Silver Member
Your work day...
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2005, 10:54:20 AM »
Originally posted by Nilsen:
Lada now has the best job here.

I beg to differ.

;)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Your work day...
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2005, 11:18:33 AM »
Originally posted by Horn
Somebody shoot me.

Heh, Your job sounds similar to mine, Only I feed the elderly/very ill and you feed criminals, And you have about 12 times the population I have.

So maybe its not so similar :D, I was considering taking a job at the Industrial home for Youth here, I know its a lot of work, And I'm sure I could do it. But Something in the back of my mind says Is it really worth being shanked in the Kitchen by some Thug?

to you.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline WpnX

• Nickel Member
Your work day...
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2005, 11:31:20 AM »
Wake up at a different time everyday.
Go to the range.
Go to capture insurgents - get to kill insurgents on the really good days.
Fill out paperwork for the guys we've killed or captured.
Get some sleep (my higher thinks this part is optional)
Repeat
Elvis
The Flying Circus

Offline Horn

• Silver Member
Your work day...
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2005, 12:01:09 PM »
Originally posted by Nefarious
I was considering taking a job at the Industrial home for Youth here, I know its a lot of work, And I'm sure I could do it. But Something in the back of my mind says Is it really worth being shanked in the Kitchen by some Thug?

to you.

Thanks.

Control of tools. Knives/blades/sharp things are cabled/padlocked to the prep tables with three foot cables (gives you a "danger zone" to stay the hell out of).

I personally supervise 25 - 50 cons for hours at a time alone, so if they wanted to overwhelm me, they could and wouldn't need weapons-- but there is quite a bit of psychology involved: peer-pressure, institutionalization, recrimination, personal fears etc.--you can use a lot of that to keep yourself safe. Though it may be obvious, I should mention folks in prison aren't that smart either-- so humor goes a long way. If you can get them to laugh, joke and sing you have a happy (read: non-violent) kitchen. Sounds weird but it works.

Personally, I get more concerned with (and watch more closely) the young, skinny, sullen, tattooed gang bangers more than the old, enormous, power lifter cons--the kids today seem to have no grip on what the future will bring them--and they don't seem to care.

On the flip side, I use huge industrial cooking machinery which by themselves are pretty cool. Hydraulic tilt skillets 10 feet long, 100 gallon urns and kettles that move, turn and pour, combi-ovens that you can walk into, coolers and freezers larger than apartments I've rented, etc.--large scale stuff. It is sort of a unique experience.

If you decide to go into something like this, I would *highly* suggest hanging out at the job for a couple of shifts to watch how it is all done before making a decision. Best of luck!  

h

Offline 2stony

• Silver Member
Your work day...
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2005, 12:05:52 PM »
Originally posted by Horn:
I should mention folks in prison aren't that smart either--

When you start thinking like this, that is when you're going to get in trouble. Never underestimate anyone, no matter what environment your in.
     I agree about the gang bangers. They don't give a crap and are dangerous. I have a friend that's a counselor in a juvenile institution and he said they scare him more than the adults.