Author Topic: Your work day...  (Read 2827 times)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Your work day...
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2005, 12:15:16 PM »
Airhead,

Are you claiming that RV'ers at Walmart are a drug distribution situation?
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
Your work day...
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2005, 12:19:08 PM »
0500 wakeup

0530 showered & dressed. try to be quiet to avoid waking up g/f.

0531 get the evil eye from the g/f

0532-0625 run away, get coffee, chew down some concerta-e, fire up the laptop. check emails, gather up incoming faxes, check AH BBS & PlanetSide outfit BBS, check fax server to make sure it spammed all night, sort paperwork, fax out orders & offers from the night before.

0630 Pack up laptop, refill cofee, bundle roommates/carpool buddies into the SUV. Play slalom the stupid, unattended children on the way out the neighborhood.

0630-07?? Try to survive Houston traffic and supress urge to batter other vehicles into submission.

07??-0800 Get to my desk, make sure my deliveries are on the trucks and ready to go out. Bicker with co-workers. Log into my terminal, fire up the laptop. Glare at the phone so it understands my disdain for it.

0800-1600 Absolute chaos. Answer the phone, take & pick orders, answer the business cellphone, keypunch lists that the OCR software can't read, think about lunch & give up on it, work on PHP & MySQL scripts, glare at the phone some more. This goes on for 10 hours straight. Thankfully I'm only subjected to 8 of it.

1600 see 0630 driving entry...

16?? eventually make it home.  Fire up the desktop, write more PHP code, tinker with MySQL, spend an hour in AH or PlanetSide (more PS than AH lately). Special exceptions behing outfit or squad nights (thurs & sun) where I'll spend more than a few hours :)

That's my average day tues - saturday. Sunday I sleep in, do some chores, write some scripts, play more video games. Monday I play a whole lot of video games & do laundry.

Offline Horn

• Silver Member
Your work day...
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2005, 12:29:24 PM »
Originally posted by 2stony
Originally posted by Horn:
 When you start thinking like this, that is when you're going to get in trouble. Never underestimate anyone, no matter what environment your in.

Not underestimation. It is truth.

I'm not saying there are no smart people in prison. There are. Many of them. Some of them scary smart.  

However, one must cater to the common denominator occasionally in a penal supervisory setting--and with humor, anyone can relate, smart or not-so-smart.

Perhaps I didn't state the point well enough the first time--with few exceptions, it takes work to be sent to the state penitentiary system. One must screw up on multiple occasions--not only screw up, but get caught multiple times and eschew the chances the state gives you to reform.

Most folks there deserve to be there.

But speaking to your point, how smart does a con have to be to hit you really hard with a blunt object when you are not looking? It's all pretty relative.

h

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ouchytheclown.com
Your work day...
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2005, 01:19:59 PM »
Originally posted by Maverick
Airhead,

Are you claiming that RV'ers at Walmart are a drug distribution situation?

Yup. Up here anyway.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Your work day...
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2005, 02:14:56 PM »
Do you have a link to anything to add credence to your claim?
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline 2stony

• Silver Member
Your work day...
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2005, 02:21:49 PM »
with few exceptions, it takes work to be sent to the state penitentiary system.

I've seen these "few exceptions". I know people that went to prison on their first offense without even having any priors, and they didn't kill, rob or maim(sp) anyone.
     The thing that really gets me is that the public is the most misinformed group when it comes to what prison is really like and what actually happens inside the walls. Unfortunately, they believe what they hear, and like in other instances, it is unfortunate and detrimental.

:(

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ouchytheclown.com
Your work day...
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2005, 02:31:36 PM »
Originally posted by Maverick
Do you have a link to anything to add credence to your claim?

OK, let me amend that- There are many "normal" types of RVers (like you, BTW) who take advantage of the Wal-Mart parking lot to spend the night; however, there's a population of people who sleep in their cars and, yes, they've turned it into a homeless camp where drug abuse is quite common.

I can't really link up anything, specifically, but c'mon up here and look for yourself...

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
Your work day...
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2005, 02:35:28 PM »
Plumbin!!!

New work, residential/commercial, service calls, renovations, you call, I haul,no job too big or too small!  Well..sometimes their too big if Im feelin lazy!

~AoM~

Offline Horn

• Silver Member
Your work day...
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2005, 02:50:26 PM »
 I've seen these "few exceptions". I know people that went to prison on their first offense without even having any priors, and they didn't kill, rob or maim(sp) anyone.

:(

One of the procedures that one goes through when sentenced to prison is a review/classification process. This process consists of "rating" a prisoner to properly place them within the system. In CO, it is a "point" system: gang-affiliation?, x number of points. Sex offender? x more points. Drugs invovlved? X more points, Violent crime? X more points. Any diseases? Pysch profile? a numerical rating. Taken together, these points add up to a custody level which will dictate the type and location of incarceration.

Custody levels range from I (no fences around facility) to V (23 hour lockdown). Levels three and four are usually the watchyerass prisons the public hears about. I work in a level 3 facility with occasional forays into the "minimum" center also on-site rated at a high "2"--none of them are nice places. You do not want to be sent to prison. County jail it is not.

I'm not sure what you meant by what the public believes but I can tell you that everything that happens on the street happens there. Rape, murder, violence, drug use, theft, intimidation, aggression, suicide--it all happens inside the walls. It is survival of the fittest in one of its purer forms.

h

Offline 2stony

• Silver Member
Your work day...
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2005, 03:09:25 PM »
Rape, murder, violence, drug use, theft, intimidation, aggression, suicide--it all happens inside the walls.

I'm sure those things are happening in prison, but how often on a daily basis? Murder? Probably not as often as on the outside per capita. Suicide? Also probably not as often as the outside. The other stuff is just part of society whether it's in prison or on the outside. From conversations with people that have never been to prison, the majority think that as soon as someone goes to prison, they get mugged and raped. I'm sure there are plenty of "willing" people in there that will accomodate your sexual needs without having to rape them.

;)

Offline Horn

• Silver Member
Your work day...
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2005, 07:18:37 PM »

I'm sure those things are happening in prison, but how often on a daily basis? Murder? Probably not as often as on the outside per capita. Suicide? Also probably not as often as the outside. The other stuff is just part of society whether it's in prison or on the outside. From conversations with people that have never been to prison, the majority think that as soon as someone goes to prison, they get mugged and raped. I'm sure there are plenty of "willing" people in there that will accomodate your sexual needs without having to rape them.

;)

With about the same regularity, per capita, as in the general population. Sorry to burst your bubble but it really happens that way. If you are the least bit punk when you get in, you are fair game for predators who are looking for some virgin b*tch.

Mugging is less common as you have nothing. However, they will take your food and many fights stem from noobs trying to defend it.

It has been my experience that the "majority" you are quoting are correct --when referring to the higher classification incarceration areas.

I'm sure there are plenty of "willing" people in there that will accomodate your sexual needs without having to rape them.

No. These folks are mostly "taken"

h

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Your work day...
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2005, 07:40:18 PM »
As the initial thread topic boomerangs and then goes ballistic, rock on, but I gotta just ask because I kinda knew this question going it. A few guys here don’t actually work, are retired, successful enough to just pick up checks, or maybe just work from home. Maybe it’s a whole new thread, but at 37, I could not imagine NOT going to work. Could you?

As much as a pain in the bellybutton it is to get up on your Monday after a fun weekend off and go into work, it still reminds me of High School. We are all basically the same age, make the same, and therefore it’s a 5 times a week excuse to hang out and bull****, make plans for the weekend, rant, *****, laugh, joke, and gossip like old ladies in a coffee shop with 5 or 10 good dudes. I have at times more fun goofing on each other at work or fixing something I felt good about, than a day at home off dicking with a computer.  Somewhere in those 40 hours, you also do stuff that makes a difference and the weekend twice as relevant and appropriate to you letting go when you get outta there. Now when I'm 65? Ok. Load the Nascar tour RV, but now it just seems no good.

That’s why I don’t play the lottery. I’d be dead in a year if I won. Pry why I have to punch a clock, as I have no vision to succeed, or the intellect that would provide me with enough success to sit at home comfortably, and not go completely insane.

Offline 2stony

• Silver Member
Your work day...
« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2005, 09:03:15 PM »
Then the Colorado system must be one bad arse place. Try walking on the other side and see if your statistics come out the same as you quoted. I'm betting they don't.

At least you can say your job isn't boring.

~>->o

;)

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Your work day...
« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2005, 09:05:49 PM »
Originally posted by Creamo
As the initial thread topic boomerangs and then goes ballistic, rock on, but I gotta just ask because I kinda knew this question going it. A few guys here don’t actually work, are retired, successful enough to just pick up checks, or maybe just work from home. Maybe it’s a whole new thread, but at 37, I could not imagine NOT going to work. Could you?

As much as a pain in the bellybutton it is to get up on your Monday after a fun weekend off and go into work, it still reminds me of High School. We are all basically the same age, make the same, and therefore it’s a 5 times a week excuse to hang out and bull****, make plans for the weekend, rant, *****, laugh, joke, and gossip like old ladies in a coffee shop with 5 or 10 good dudes. I have at times more fun goofing on each other at work or fixing something I felt good about, than a day at home off dicking with a computer.  Somewhere in those 40 hours, you also do stuff that makes a difference and the weekend twice as relevant and appropriate to you letting go when you get outta there. Now when I'm 65? Ok. Load the Nascar tour RV, but now it just seems no good.

That’s why I don’t play the lottery. I’d be dead in a year if I won. Pry why I have to punch a clock, as I have no vision to succeed, or the intellect that would provide me with enough success to sit at home comfortably, and not go completely insane.

I have a great job, but I'm the kind of guy that would never be bored if I never had to work again. I have too many interests and hobbies.

I

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Your work day...
« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2005, 09:16:41 PM »
I used to think exactly like you Creamo. Like if I won the lottery, I'd stay. But now, no... I'd quit in a second. If you can't find meaningful things to do with nothing but the time and the money to do just about anything, then there's a lack of imagination happening.

But who knows... I've already changed my mind about it once.

Funny you say this now.... A guy at work today introduced me to his client... Turns out he made out like a bandit when cell phones were just hitting the market. He sold, and lasted 2 years without working.  His biggest complaint was that it was useless to have all this free time when all yer buds are working.

He's now back to workin' his arse off.