Author Topic: I Condemn The "fudged-up" Icon Settings  (Read 11521 times)

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
I Condemn The "fudged-up" Icon Settings
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2005, 06:58:08 PM »
Originally posted by Glasses
I have absolutely nothing to contriubte to this thread so am just gonna say.

Oh... Oh.. Oh.. Oh... Hammah time!

I totaly agree and would  like to add.......

ta da da dum da dum Can`t touch this.

Icons-Smicons. Who gives a rat`s arse.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Tails

• Nickel Member
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2005, 07:12:10 PM »
Should be an interesting change, though defensively it won't effect me much...

I either fly a black Bf-110, a green P-38 that turns too damned good, or a Hurri that sounds like it's shooting anti-aircraft guns...
BBTT KTLI KDRU HGQK GDKA SODA HMQP ACES KQTP TLZF LKHQ JAWS SMZJ IDDS RLLS CHAV JEUS BDLI WFJH WQZQ FTXM WUTL KH

(Yup, foxy got an Enigma to play with)

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2005, 07:23:00 PM »
Moot unfortunately I'm just a "nub" with nothing to add here as stated by Wotan the great.

lol thanks for the flying advice, where would I be with out yas...

Every nub with a keyboard thinks he knows something.

Those that fight know what I am talking about. Maybe Stang can explain it to you...

I have understood Wotans points but they mean very little since I'm just a "nub" remember.  I'm just an ignorant "nub" that knows little to nothing.  I have nothing better to give to this discussion because this community is no different than the day I joined it.  The so called "vets" are the only ones with any kind of say as to how things really are and how things should be done.  The "nubs" are just that, "nubs".  The only thing that matters here is the vets like Stang who are the gods of the sky which Wotan so graciously informed us about.  Please tell me who was it that didn't understand or try to counter the subject at hand?  

I guess it must have been me considering unlike some I don't underestimate the aircraft and pilots I fly against regardless of the icon system.  I also don't use completely lopsided arguements stating the difference between at Spit 1, Hurri 1 or Emil against the late war planes.  If you choose to fly such an aircraft in an enviroment that has planes with twice the capabilities you should know what your getting into from the start regardless of the icon system.  If you are also such an "ace" that some "nub" and his comments mean nothing then you shouldnt' have to hide behind the icon in the first place.  You should be able to hold your own regardless and know the consequences of taking up such an aircraft.  Again though I'm an ignorant "nub".  I'd much rather be a "nub" than arrogant and result to trying to bring a squadron into this and trying to belittle folks in the community.  I forgot though it is the community way isn't it?  

Funny how Wotan speaks of times past and has no clue as to how I fly or my abilities but yet he's the all knowing god of Aces High.  He sounds alot like a few other "vets" I know that think they walk on water.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2005, 07:31:48 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
sounds to me like the only people who find it to be a bad thing are those who are ashamed of the planes they fly or want every tiny little unfair advantage they can get.

lazs

Heck, my planes are just glad there is no pilot icon....they are ashamed I'm flyin' them. :D
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2005, 07:35:07 PM »
Originally posted by Cobra412
Moot unfortunately I'm just a "nub" with nothing to add here as stated by Wotan the great.

I have understood Wotans points but they mean very little since I'm just a "nub" remember.  I'm just an ignorant "nub" that knows little to nothing.  I have nothing better to give to this discussion because this community is no different than the day I joined it.  The so called "vets" are the only ones with any kind of say as to how things really are and how things should be done.  The "nubs" are just that, "nubs".  The only thing that matters here is the vets like Stang who are the gods of the sky which Wotan so graciously informed us about.  Please tell me who was it that didn't understand or try to counter the subject at hand?  

I guess it must have been me considering unlike some I don't underestimate the aircraft and pilots I fly against regardless of the icon system.  I also don't use completely lopsided arguements stating the difference between at Spit 1, Hurri 1 or Emil against the late war planes.  If you choose to fly such an aircraft in an enviroment that has planes with twice the capabilities you should know what your getting into from the start regardless of the icon system.  If you are also such an "ace" that some "nub" and his comments mean nothing then you shouldnt' have to hide behind the icon in the first place.  You should be able to hold your own regardless and know the consequences of taking up such an aircraft.  Again though I'm an ignorant "nub".  I'd much rather be a "nub" than arrogant and result to trying to bring a squadron into this and trying to belittle folks in the community.  I forgot though it is the community way isn't it?  

Funny how Wotan speaks of times past and has no clue as to how I fly or my abilities but yet he's the all knowing god of Aces High.  He sounds alot like a few other "vets" I know that think they walk on water.

Aint that cute? :D

Holy PMS Batman. roflmao
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2005, 07:54:09 PM »
I'll take a stance just as Wotan has in regards to "vets" versus "nubs" and player bashing.

Jackal1 since your a vet please tell what's your excuse?  In case your wondering what I'm talking about is your abilities or lack there of since May 2002 to present.  Since you decided to pop off I guess will bring into the discussion since your a "vet" with intimate knowledge of the game.  Your lack of abilities must have been because of what the invention of the aeroplane.  Please speak up since you must obviously know it all just like the rest of the vets.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2005, 10:43:18 PM »
Yea, but I aint tellin you. Your a nub. lmao
Take 2 Midol and call me in the morning.
I told ya once before. That stuff will make ya a Chatty Kathy and make ya forget what ya said. :D

Offline Zanth

• Silver Member
      • http://www.a-26legacy.org/photo.htm
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2005, 11:46:55 PM »
I have not read the rest of thread (on purpose).  But this alone is the best upgrade to AH in a long time.  Reason?  Quite frankly my dear you can fly some perk planes and not be targeted at AEGIS range.

We have always known too much about cons around us, especially at stupid ranges (remeber 5,280 feet is a mile- our icons are in yards).  I applaud this as a step toward realism.  In short I say, "Yes!"

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2005, 01:32:02 AM »
Pretty much what a figured.  A "vet" that won't put up or shutup.  Quick to open his trap but is probably the last person to take any kind of advice from when it comes to flying. It's probably because in almost 3 years he's lucky to be an average pilot at best.  Funny how the "nub" as you guys call it grasped the concept of aerial combat yet your still struggling even after having more time playing.  Guess some of the supposed "vets" aren't anything more than a target drone like the "nubs".

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2005, 01:59:41 AM »
I like the new icon system, but it won't change the way I fight all that much. As has been stated by others, it was fairly easy to tell differences in like aircraft before...
a. Hurricane I had no cannons on the wings
b. P-51B and D with different fusealage
c. 190A series and D series front end
etc...

It took a turn or two to tell a 109G6 from a G10, but the difference was discernable if the fight lasted that long.

Wotan just likes to talk about the 412th because he has some deep rooted dislike of P-51s. What ever the reason, it's fine with me. The 412th has a reputation in the AH community. Some people like us, and some people always cry about the way we choose to play the game. The thing I find the most humorous is that the ones that whine about us the most always like to add how they always shoot us all down....

posted by Wotan
I remember one event where Urchin, Leitwolf and I were at 3k in A-5s and their mustangs came in high (beyond 6k icon range) and circled around for 20 minutes before trying to implement their 'master planning'. We shot them all down with out a loss.

Or another time when Scot and I and a few others met their P-51s while in G-6s. Again we shot them all down. I remember tango running on the deck stick stirring like crazy to get away

Please oh great and powerful Wotan, the next time you are about to shoot down a 412th Mustang, I beg of you show mercy and let us flee to safety :rolleyes:

Offline Raider179

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2005, 02:08:39 AM »
What difference does plane type matter if you are on their six.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2005, 05:09:00 AM »
The 412th has a reputation in the AH community. Some people like us, and some people always cry about the way we choose to play the game.

Yup, and part of that rep is 'timidity' (whether you think you deserve it or not). Fly and have fun anyway you want but when one of yours comes out with a 'how to manual' he will get mocked and laughed at.

My problem isn't with the P-51 it's the type of folks that are attracted to that plane (speaking within the 'game' context of course). You can certainly fly it anyway you want but as I said in your 'please define timid thread' expect people to call it like they see it.

I don't start these threads, I don't take them off topic. This thread is about icons, my replies were on topic and directed initially toward something Levi said.  Instead of dealing with the topic of this thread your squad mate got confused and thought I cared about how he 'plans his attacks'.

Your squad mate has no idea what 'fighting' is in the context of my reply about icons. You see in those big fur balls everyone knows what every one is flying. At times a brave young lad could slip into the fur ball in a Spit 1 or Hurri 1 or even an Emil or F4F etc. If you want to call it 'hiding' that's up to you but in fur balls any plane can hide.

In the visual conditions in the main (meaning SA because icons at a glance can give away much more info then pilots would have in real life) a highly maneuvering single aircraft can get into a fur ball and in fact become 'hidden' while right out in the open.

With all that goes on in that mess a 'Spit' icon here or '109' (or P-40, F4F etc..) icon there won't instantly grab the attention of most players. They are simply reacting to the closest threat or the closest enemy.

Since aircraft like these early planes are rare already, their icon will be (or maybe) a magnet to the others in the frey.

'Spit 1, wow that's rare lets get it etc...'

I don't expect you or squad mates to understand a word of what I am saying because that's not your flying and fighting 'style'. No one asked your squad mate 'how he does it' and I don't anyone really cares.

Before you claim something like 'flying like that is not historical' or 'fighting in an environment of mixed aircraft is not historical' well it may not be for Western Europe but on the Ostfront (especially early) and in the Med it sure was 'historical'.

Hans-Joachim Marseille's self-training program

Vision - Marseille decided to adapt his eyes to the powerful desert sun and the dry desert atmosphere and to adapt his body to the desert's conditions. He stopped wearing sun glasses, deliberately exposed his eyes to the desert sun, and shifted from alcohol to milk (cant you just see him with that milk ring around his mouth.."Drink Milk, it does a body good"). He also noticed that in the intensely lit dry desert atmosphere, aircraft can be detected from greater distances than over Europe and deduced that hiding and surprise are less practical over the desert than in the cloudy sky over europe.

G-Force - Marseille worked endlessly to strengthen his abdominal and leg muscles in order to enhance his ability to sustain higher G-Force and for longer durations during dogfights better than the average fighter pilot. G-Force is the enormous centrifugal force experienced when a fighter aircraft makes sharp turns during dogfight. The modern G-suit that helps pilots sustain it was not yet invented in world war 2.

Aerobatics - Marseille used every opportunity to perform breathtaking aerobatics. In addition to free entertainment to his friends on the ground, this also gave him an outstanding control and confidence in extremely maneuvering his Messerschmitt 109 aircraft.

Marksmanship - Marseille spent his unused ammunition practicing firing at ground objects and trained a lot not just in plain strafing but also in high deflection shooting while in a sharp turn, which is much harder.

Intelligence - he began to read every possible intelligence information he could find in order to maximize his knowledge and understanding of the enemy.

Tactics - That's where Marseille marked himself as a great innovator of air warfare, and he kept improving. He claimed that in the perfect visual conditions over the desert, large formations are in a visual disadvantage against highly maneuvering single aircraft. He preferred to fight alone, with a single wingman providing warnings from a safe distance. He claimed that when fighting alone in a short range dogfight, he could quickly fire at anything he saw, while the attacked formation's pilots were confused, hesitated, and switched to a defensive position that further increased the lone attacker's chances. He also claimed that fighting alone eliminates the high risk of firing at or colliding with a wingman in such extreme maneuvering. Marseille said that in such conditions, there's a lower chance and too little time for the usual chase attack method, and preferred to use high angle deflection firing from short range while making a sharp turn. In doing so, he never used his gun sight and instead fired a very short burst at the passing target in the split second when its leading edge, its propeller, disappeared from his eyes behind his aircraft's nose. He calculated that when firing a short burst at this position, his gun rounds will hit the target's engine and cockpit, and he trained in this unorthodox aiming method on his friends (without firing) many times and perfected his ability to use it. He deduced that over the desert, a fighter pilot can become "invisible" only by extreme maneuvers at close range, and that the intensity of the maneuvering was more important than the speed of flying.

In Kurland for example JG54 had mix variety of 190s, from few early A-3s to late A-9s. They met Soviet formations with a variety of different fighters flying together.

Get Norbert Hannig's book (IIRC off-hand). He describes fights where confusion is the rule. Folks crying out over vox so that communication becomes useless. Enemies show up unseen, squad mates fighting each other for kills etc...

Back on topic My opinion about these new icons is they may have an impact on early planes. Any one can go back and search the old posts about perk plane icons where numerous folks complained about being hunted whenever folks noticed their icons. The same thing may prove true for these early planes.  The difference now is those perk planes had the performance so that the ganging actually made it easy to get kills.

For the guy who likes the Spit 1 he may not bother with it again. That was my point, but someone wanted to make this thread about 'attack planning' and other such non-sense...

Anyway 6 am here, I am going to bed...

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2005, 05:33:30 AM »
Originally posted by Wotan
Yup, and part of that rep is 'timidity' (whether you think you deserve it or not). Fly and have fun anyway you want but when one of yours comes out with a 'how to manual' he will get mocked and laughed at.

My problem isn't with the P-51 it's the type of folks that are attracted to that plane (speaking within the 'game' context of course). You can certainly fly it anyway you want but as I said in your 'please define timid thread' expect people to call it like they see it.

I don't start these threads, I don't take them off topic. This thread is about icons, my replies were on topic and directed initially toward something Levi said.  Instead of dealing with the topic of this thread your squad mate got confused and thought I cared about how he 'plans his attacks'.

Your squad mate has no idea what 'fighting' is in the context of my reply about icons. You see in those big fur balls everyone knows what every one is flying. At times a brave young lad could slip into the fur ball in a Spit 1 or Hurri 1 or even an Emil or F4F etc. If you want to call it 'hiding' that's up to you but in fur balls any plane can hide.

In the visual conditions in the main (meaning SA because icons at a glance can give away much more info then pilots would have in real life) a highly maneuvering single aircraft can get into a fur ball and in fact become 'hidden' while right out in the open.

With all that goes on in that mess a 'Spit' icon here or '109' (or P-40, F4F etc..) icon there won't instantly grab the attention of most players. They are simply reacting to the closest threat or the closest enemy.

Since aircraft like these early planes are rare already, their icon will be (or maybe) a magnet to the others in the frey.

'Spit 1, wow that's rare lets get it etc...'

I don't expect you or squad mates to understand a word of what I am saying because that's not your flying and fighting 'style'. No one asked your squad mate 'how he does it' and I don't anyone really cares.

Before you claim something like 'flying like that is not historical' or 'fighting in an environment of mixed aircraft is not historical' well it may not be for Western Europe but on the Ostfront (especially early) and in the Med it sure was 'historical'.

In Kurland for example JG54 had mix variety of 190s, from few early A-3s to late A-9s. They met Soviet formations with a variety of different fighters flying together.

Get Norbert Hannig's book (IIRC off-hand). He describes fights where confusion is the rule. Folks crying out over vox so that communication becomes useless. Enemies show up unseen, squad mates fighting each other for kills etc...

Back on topic My opinion about these new icons is they may have an impact on early planes. Any one can go back and search the old posts about perk plane icons where numerous folks complained about being hunted whenever folks noticed their icons. The same thing may prove true for these early planes.  The difference now is those perk planes had the performance so that the ganging actually made it easy to get kills.

For the guy who likes the Spit 1 he may not bother with it again. That was my point, but someone wanted to make this thread about 'attack planning' and other such non-sense...

Anyway 6 am here, I am going to bed...

Aren't you the guy always talking about  IL2 and how good it is , and hasn't played AH for a couple of years ?

I am really curious - why do you actually care if the icon system has changed ?
I come from a land downunder

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2005, 07:14:35 AM »
Aren't you the guy always talking about IL2 and how good it is , and hasn't played AH for a couple of years ?

I am really curious - why do you actually care if the icon system has changed ?

Ooooooh!

Low blow, Redd. Keep it above the belt.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2005, 10:36:07 AM »
Originally posted by Cobra412
 Funny how the "nub" as you guys call it grasped the concept  

:D  I don`t know what you call that  thing you are "grasping" , but it`s not called a concept around here.:rolleyes:
I see the Midol has not kicked in yet.