Author Topic: Silent Hunter III Review  (Read 16643 times)

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #135 on: March 24, 2005, 11:59:45 AM »
Well, I tried a single mission (not naval academy). But I don't know where to start! Lost my first 2 Uboats - one to depth charges, and the other to a collision with a destroyer.

Pity there's no real training for technique - unless it's buried somewhere and I haven't found it. I don't think one could make Uboat commander by reading a 60 page booklet. :lol

First mission, there were ships all around me, I was getting pinged, and it was all over pretty fast!

On the second mission, I found myself somewhere near Egypt, with various enemy ships at various points around me, and try to give chase but they're all faster than me, and seem to begin about 4km ahead, so no chance to destroy them.

So come on guys, what's the trick to this? Where to start, and how?

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #136 on: March 24, 2005, 12:10:14 PM »
Lol, it's like you posting on the AH BBS. You surface, and just get demolished. No trick, you just don't get it. :0)

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #137 on: March 24, 2005, 02:26:08 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
So come on guys, what's the trick to this? Where to start, and how?

Hey Beet1e,

Think the easiest start in the game is 1940 out of one of French bases, 7th Flotilla has a nice base at St Nazaire as it's very easy to navigate in and out of with lots of easy picking near by.

Or the 27th Flotilla out of Spezia  as the  travel times are generally short with  lots of single merchants trying to make it to and from Alexandria for you to practice your deck gun on.  Just stay clear of Gibraltar, making a pass through there other then at night and on the surface in low visibility is certain to end your career.

No matter where you start and what year study the map that came with the sim,convoy routes and the years they operate.

...-Gixer

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #138 on: March 24, 2005, 02:32:36 PM »
You can choose a base? I transfered from 7th to 1st fleet (From Kiel to Wilemshaven)  but didn't know I could choose a base... as I've been spending a full game year in storms, I wouldn't mind going south...
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #139 on: March 24, 2005, 02:48:29 PM »
When you start your career it defaults to 1939 but you can click  through the years and view the different bases (historically) become available or lost. Obviously starting anytime after 1943 is really going to up the difficulty level. One of the best things about a U-Boat sim as the years progress it historically gets tougher as you and your crew gain more experience.

Opposite to you my next career I'm definetly going North to Norway and hunt the convoys with Condors and Stuka's amongst the Icebergs.  :D

...-Gixer

Offline g00b

• Nickel Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #140 on: March 24, 2005, 02:59:36 PM »
A couple things that were the BIG help for me.

1. When you are looking at a target click on the "ship" text at the top-right right of the screen. That will pop open the identification book. Look at the draft. Press F6 and set the depth for your torpedoes to 1 m below the draft. BOOM! I didn't figure this our 'till about mission number 20 in my career ;p This DOUBLED my combat effectiveness.

2. Make sure to award all the medals and qualifications you can after each mission. Again I didn't know about this untill late in my career and I could have had a much more experienced crew. Make sure to assign you most experienced guys to sonar and radar and on look-out.

3. Save after EVERY kill you are happy with.

I am into '42 in my career with over 200,000 tons sunk and I now get the acoustic homing and pattern running torpedoes. The acoustic torpedos work GREAT on trailing destroyers. 1 shot, 1 kill almost every time.

My most successfull mission I sunk 50,000 tons of cargo and 2 destroyers and an armed trawler. I sank the two destroyers through inadvertant collisions. I took some damage but they went down! Dang U-boats are tough.

When I get my DSL it's going to be a very difficult choice of what to play.

g00b
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 03:03:34 PM by g00b »

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #141 on: March 24, 2005, 03:23:34 PM »
Well Patrol Five is definatley the most exhausting mission to date.

Patrol AN52 for 24 Hours.

Did that, And Turned for England. Headed South from the Firth of Forth, Figure I would have learned my lesson? Nope. Got spotted by a Destroyer at Night Snuck away fairly easily. But It seems like there following me.

I havnt seen one Merchant, only Destroyers, Every time I surface, I sail for a little bit, maybe 5 or 10 minutes on compressed time. Here comes the Hurricanes, followed by Destroyers.

Figure maybe I'll see some more Merchants, South, as I did on Patrol Four.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 08:48:32 PM by Nefarious »
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #142 on: March 24, 2005, 03:42:03 PM »
Alright ... enough BS ... 3 pages of reading is exausting ... I'm going in my closet getting fishing pole!
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #143 on: March 24, 2005, 03:48:08 PM »
Finished a couple of the training classes. Have to re do the torp one.
I did the standalone mission against the Barnham. I of course updated my sub to an experianced Type XXI.  Poor brits never new what hit them. First time it was my sub bouncing off the bottom of a battle ship. Thought it would dive quicker then that!

It seemed the early war brit destroyers didnt have much of a chance of detecting me, and thier AI to defend the BBs was hillarios. 7 or 8 of them just sailed away accross the horizon. One returned. Once I went to external view and saw one of my own pattern torps miss me by about 1/2 a sub length.
Hope they do a Pacific version of this game. Wish they had included the Brit subs from Malta..would have been neat.

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #144 on: March 24, 2005, 04:54:55 PM »
Just had my first patrol in a IIA in 1939.  I sank a C2 tanker and a merchant ship totalling 8338 tons.:)   I only had 5 torps so there wasn't really much more i could do i guess.  

Lets see how my 2nd patrol goes...
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #145 on: March 24, 2005, 05:22:44 PM »
G00b - 200,000 tons sunk - and this game has only been out since last week ??? I think you must be playing in your sleep! :eek::cool:

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #146 on: March 24, 2005, 11:59:45 PM »
Finally got the IXB, swapped to it from VIIC.
More torpedoes and *two* stern tubes :D
...tho, much bigger too.

One thing is annoying, since I had to transfer to Lorient from Brest (1st flotilla -> 2nd flotilla in late 1940).
In Lorient ground is everywhere and it forces time multiplier to 1x.
Well, no worries, I modded the ground proximity maximum time multiplier to 16x... hopefully.

Heard this from a friend and went to verify it before modding the time compression.
I drove out of the harbour and apparently you're expected to make a right turn, since I noticed shore ahead of me and ran aground pretty hard.. one crew member died in the bow torpedo room :D
Oh well, no worries, was just a test run to see whether the time compression needs tweaking.....

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #147 on: March 25, 2005, 12:59:32 AM »
First attack of the 5th Patrol low vis surface attack -  lined up a real nice fat cargo ship 800m range ,set 2 mag fused torps to salvo...PERFECT angle etc...fired and BANG both bloody exploded about 300m short, sending a destroyer steaming over...crash dive..depth charges...bang bang bang, eventually managed to break off with a real badly busted boat...rtb

Tronsky
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #148 on: March 25, 2005, 01:20:06 AM »
I ordered my men to wear scuba gear. This is the 6 th patrol in heavy weather, I think I had 2 days of sunshine, can't wait to be transfered in the med or something... this maximum 300 meters visibility with the 300 meters torp minimum  run is getting to me :eek:

Just ended last mission with a C2 burning in front of my eyes, but not sinking... no more torps and a destroyer closing in. I've been collecting the "be more agressive" messages from BdU, I made a huge dildo in "papier mache" out of it and when we get back to port... I'm going to shove it up his **** !
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 01:22:22 AM by Saintaw »
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #149 on: March 25, 2005, 01:32:19 AM »
This game rock's, talk about eye candi: