Author Topic: 190 Heaven - NEWS + screenies  (Read 4940 times)

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
190 Heaven - NEWS + screenies
« Reply #120 on: March 29, 2005, 10:11:49 AM »
Originally posted by Octavius
What exactly is unreadable about them?  Contrast?  Size?  Color!?
oct.. see my post in this thread:

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=143499

now i have obviously not flow with the new 190's but that pic is basically what the "new" gauges look like on my system...

if i turn up the gamma / brightness any more i think i will be looking at a pure white desktop outside of the game.

notice the ammo counters and the like... i can not read any of the text natively, i have to move my head around and zoom. on the temp gauges, i dont know if there is a "red" area, but i does not show for me.

also, notice that pic is with the sun in the 4-5 oclock position, helping "illuminate" the gauges.
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline JB82

• Copper Member
« Reply #121 on: March 29, 2005, 01:02:07 PM »
I think the main problem with the gauges is the glare from the glass covers, not realy the size.  Also, if the needles where brighter that would eliminate 99% of the complaints.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #122 on: March 29, 2005, 02:23:29 PM »
When is the P-51B getting the Malcolm hood?

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #123 on: March 29, 2005, 03:33:41 PM »

While in combat, you read the gauge to make sure it's the altimeter?  Memorize the gauge, its position, memorize the needle position, the BIG numbers (only a point or two smaller than the ammo counters), and you're in business.

Instead of memorizing the gauges it would make much more sense just not to size the gauges such as the new 38s and the 84. The actual gauge size itself is not the problem I don`t believe as much as the numbers, text, etc needs either resizing or highlighted in some way. We are not asking for mountains to be moved here or anyone to walk on water, just a touch, a smidgen of rework. What we are asking for could not possibly interfere with nor affect anyones game experience . If you can read the gauges in the new 38s and the 84, then more power to you. If you having to memorize each one , that is ridiculous.
Flying by braille is not what I think HT had in mind.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #124 on: March 29, 2005, 03:39:00 PM »
ditto jackal...

if i turn my moniter brightness up to 100% and contrast to 100% and gamma to 1.3 i can read the gauges like in the screen shots posted.

but i dont like that eye straining washed out look of a pale gray "black" on my moniter.

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #125 on: March 29, 2005, 03:40:40 PM »
You can't memorize the location of the altimeter?  I don't think we're on the same page Jackal.

In combat I quickly glance to the altimeter, speedometer, fuel gauge, etc... very quickly.  Hell in my case I fly by feel half the time anyway.

Instead of memorizing the gauges it would make much more sense just not to size the gauges such as the new 38s and the 84.

Er, is that a typo?  You're saying the gauges are fine on the 38s and Ki84?  Then we're on the same side here.
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #126 on: March 29, 2005, 03:43:12 PM »
you guys can move your head around in a 3d space... it's not stuck in one place:)

I zoom in sometimes to look at gauges....

I mean you already have to move your head postion up or down  on some planes to find the compass, ect....

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #127 on: March 29, 2005, 03:49:28 PM »
Originally posted by Waffle BAS
you guys can move your head around in a 3d space... it's not stuck in one place:)

I zoom in sometimes to look at gauges....

I mean you already have to move your head postion up or down  on some planes to find the compass, ect....
a quick "page down and bump the hat" to see something is alot different than:

page down, move side, zoom, un-zoom, move head so it snaps back to default.

sorry not all of us can afford track IR to look where ever we want, and using the page down and arrow keys while in combat with a HOTAS setup is not really possible

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #128 on: March 29, 2005, 03:51:21 PM »
You cant program a rocker / hat to be you're panel view?

I've got a zoom programed on hotas, and then also the pan/snap view on a button. If want to look at something - one button to tilt - one to zoom in  / unzoom
« Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 03:54:22 PM by Waffle »

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #129 on: March 29, 2005, 03:56:38 PM »
don't wanna argue the topic with you waffle

but if the game is going to be designed that you need track IR to get a view of the gauges then they should come out and say that, and make it a requirement.

don't forget that in the new p38's the gigantic stick is in the way, so even "page down" doesn't help, you have to do some odd "look forward down" moving head, and zooming in.

in that other page i linked to with my screenshot, i had yanked back on the stick to get it out of the view.

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #130 on: March 29, 2005, 04:00:48 PM »
oh im with the non argument thing,

But you just gotta adapt sometimes i guess :) I'm a non track IR user too - just ch pedals / stick and good ole keyboard.

Offline JB82

• Copper Member
« Reply #131 on: March 29, 2005, 04:04:32 PM »
I have a button on my stick just for the instrument panel and I still can't read the gauges on the P-38.  I have very poor eyesight and that's the reason I'm playing this GAME instead of flying a REAL airplane.  So a little consideration would be nice.

P.S.  Hope that didn't sound to snotty.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 11:35:34 PM by JB82 »

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #132 on: March 29, 2005, 04:27:29 PM »
You can't memorize the location of the altimeter?  I don't think we're on the same page Jackal.

In combat I quickly glance to the altimeter, speedometer, fuel gauge, etc... very quickly.  Hell in my case I fly by feel half the time anyway.

Instead of memorizing the gauges it would make much more sense just not to size the gauges such as the new 38s and the 84.

Er, is that a typo?  You're saying the gauges are fine on the 38s and Ki84?  Then we're on the same side here.

LOl
I have no problem with the location of the gauges.
We may not be on the same page.
 No, I said NOT to size the gauges like the new 38s and the 84. That`s not really correct either I don`t guess.
The overall actual size of the gauge itself I have no problem with. Maybe that`s where I`m not making myself clear. If just the numbers , text, etc was resiized just a tad  or highlighted/emphasized in some way it would make all the difference in the world.
  Not asking for gaudy , Big Ben sized gauges or anything . Just a touch of work to make them a little more readable than the new 38s and 84.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 06:04:06 PM by Jackal1 »
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #133 on: March 30, 2005, 01:27:03 AM »
Here's an image I made using the sample pic Nate provided, Mando's pilot's POV pic, and Fester's 190 cockpit pic.

At first, I didn't think it would be that much meaningful, since different perspective yields different looking surfaces... until I realized that the pic Mando posted is in almost exactly the same angle as the sample pic of the 190 cockpit Nate provided.

* The area outlined in white, is the real 190 cockpit. The rest of the areas, are the AH2 190 cockpit.

* No warping of the real 190 cockpit pic was done. Only the size has been altered to superimpose upon Nate's pic. The ratio of horizontal/vertical sizes remain the exactly the same.

* Notice how the real 190 cockpit guages almost exactly match the AH2 cockpit guages. (Big Kudos to Natedog)

* All of the areas highlighted in orange, can be considered as 'exaggerated'.

* The red lines indicate the continuity of the frontal 'bars'(swathed in leather?). The real 190 cockpit pic has the right part of the bars misaligned.

* I used Fester's cockpit shot and took the Revi12D gunsight and warped it a bit to fit the cockpit bars in proper scale. If we would be sitting in an AH2 Fw190A-5, the Revi12D gunsight should be that big.

Ofcourse, there could be some differences. Mando's cockpit picture, has a POV a bit higher than Nate's AH2 190 pit. So, the size of the frontal area of the windshield cannot be accurately compared.

However, the width of the canopy bars and struts, can be compared - and it is too dang thick!!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 01:36:40 AM by Kweassa »

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #134 on: March 30, 2005, 01:53:37 AM »
Perhaps I'll make a stupid remark but aren't you comparing an picture of an open canopy with a closed canopy one ?