Author Topic: Is Blair going to win it three straight?  (Read 2980 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Is Blair going to win it three straight?
« Reply #120 on: May 05, 2005, 09:31:19 PM »
Originally posted by Pei
there are virtually no non-US people who support their own leaders in such a manner, and certainly no-one who supports Blair or Howard that way.
[/b]

I think you should add "posting on this board" to the end of that sentence.

Originally posted by Pei
As to more sophisticated  

Well, from reading the posts of our Bush-slagging non-US posters one certainly gets the impression that they feel far more sophisticated than us unwashed colonials.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline ygsmilo

• Silver Member
« Reply #121 on: May 05, 2005, 09:31:53 PM »
Originally posted by Hangtime
For the record, I'm an American..

..and I think Bush is a pin-headed dolt, wearing the mantle and title of the biggest pin-headed dolt in a big city filled with also-ran pinheads that governs the most powerful nation of politically inept, morally bankrupt dolts on this sorry assed planet.

Now here's a clue for the folks from underdeveloped third world locations like Western & Eastern Europe, Trans-Siberia , Asia, the Middle East and those lil commonwealth communes in the Western Pacific that think Bush The Pin-Head is our[/i] problem... There's every indication that for another few years he's gonna continue to be a world class pin-headed dolt; and may I remind all the worlds jealous non-pinhead citizens that since he IS a pin-headed dolt you might do well not pissing him (or the rest of us dolts) off, because pin-headed dolts when aggravated or distracted often play with shiny buttons and other objects that light up the big maps of distant lands in bad ways when they are pressed.

...which I suspect is why the resta us pinheads elected him.

So, kindly refrain from kicking the pin-heads at least untill the current dolt is outta reach of the buttons, or the wanna-be-kewl nations of the world just might get a chance to join the Japanese in discovering just how groovy mushrooms that glow in the dark really are.

Sleep Tight Citizens of the World! America is watching![/i] (& waiting for a clear shot)

Get some Hangtime !

Offline Pei

• Silver Member
« Reply #122 on: May 05, 2005, 09:41:15 PM »
Originally posted by Toad

I think you should add "posting on this board" to the end of that sentence.

Well, from reading the posts of our Bush-slagging non-US posters one certainly gets the impression that they feel far more sophisticated than us unwashed colonials. [/B]

We prefer to think of you as "authentic smelling" colonials. :D

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #123 on: May 05, 2005, 09:44:01 PM »
Originally posted by Pei
We prefer to think of you as "authentic smelling" colonials. :D

:)  THIS from the resident of a penal colony.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #124 on: May 05, 2005, 09:50:21 PM »
:)  THIS from the resident of a penal colony.

This from a money grubbing rabble rousing  anti britain, french backed, good fer nuttin REBEL.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #125 on: May 05, 2005, 09:51:19 PM »
Originally posted by vorticon
This from a money grubbing rabble rousing  anti britain, french backed, good fer nuttin REBEL.

And proud of it, you might add.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 10:08:11 PM by Toad »

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #126 on: May 05, 2005, 10:00:21 PM »
French backed?

You mean like, "hunchbacked"?
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Darkish

• Nickel Member
« Reply #127 on: May 05, 2005, 10:16:44 PM »
-more like a reach-around

Offline -dead-

• Silver Member
« Reply #128 on: May 06, 2005, 12:18:28 AM »
Thing thing that sort of mystifies me is that Blair is hated by all and is seen as Bush's poodle so they are going to re-elect him.

At least that's how this thread is making it look.

So.... you can be hated but if you're Bush's poodle all is forgiven?

Or you're hated because you're Bush's poodle but that's all jolly good fun and we like you enough to re-elect you anyway?

Or we really do hate you and being Bush's poodle is a very bad thing but we're going to re-elect you because we hate your competition worse than we hate Bush's poodle?

It's got to be in there somewhere.

BTW, Laz.... very nice lure. Just that one hit but it was a dandy.
It's all to do with the dreadful excuse for a democracy that a first-past-the-post system is. The poodle's party is slated to get about 36% of the vote (Labour have already won, with 613 seats declared as I post). So the vast majority — 74% — voted against Labour: not exactly a resounding mandate.

And the fact that George Galloway got elected, beating a Labour candidate is an interesting comment on the Iraq issue.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 12:33:08 AM by -dead- »
β€œThe FBI has no hard evidence connecting Usama Bin Laden to 9/11.” --  Rex Tomb, Chief of Investigative Publicity for the FBI, June 5, 2006.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #129 on: May 06, 2005, 12:49:23 AM »
Tony wins... so stfu!
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Momus--

• Nickel Member
« Reply #130 on: May 06, 2005, 01:00:01 AM »
Originally posted by -dead-

And the fact that George Galloway got elected, beating a Labour candidate is an interesting comment on the Iraq issue.

That was one of the more amusing results of the night.

He was very clever if not cynical in the consituency he chose to contest, Bow and Bethnal Green in East London. Large muslim population, the sitting member being Oona King, one of the few black women in parliament and who was known as having supported the Iraq war and for being a Blair loyalist. He will have attracted a huge anti-war vote and no doubt some votes from the more fundamentalist Muslims in the area who had a problem with a woman representing them.

All said though, you have to give him credit for bouncing back after the outrageous lies told about him in the pro-US sections of the UK press over the last 3 years.

Offline wipass

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.secestimating.com
« Reply #131 on: May 06, 2005, 01:10:52 AM »
hangtime,

you are such a tosser,

wipass

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
      • http://www.4stormo.it
« Reply #132 on: May 06, 2005, 02:06:37 AM »
Originally posted by Hangtime
For the record, I'm an American..

..and I think Bush is a pin-headed dolt, wearing the mantle and title of the biggest pin-headed dolt in a big city filled with also-ran pinheads that governs the most powerful nation of politically inept, morally bankrupt dolts on this sorry assed planet.

Now here's a clue for the folks from underdeveloped third world locations like Western & Eastern Europe, Trans-Siberia , Asia, the Middle East and those lil commonwealth communes in the Western Pacific that think Bush The Pin-Head is our[/i] problem... There's every indication that for another few years he's gonna continue to be a world class pin-headed dolt; and may I remind all the worlds jealous non-pinhead citizens that since he IS a pin-headed dolt you might do well not pissing him (or the rest of us dolts) off, because pin-headed dolts when aggravated or distracted often play with shiny buttons and other objects that light up the big maps of distant lands in bad ways when they are pressed.

...which I suspect is why the resta us pinheads elected him.

So, kindly refrain from kicking the pin-heads at least untill the current dolt is outta reach of the buttons, or the wanna-be-kewl nations of the world just might get a chance to join the Japanese in discovering just how groovy mushrooms that glow in the dark really are.

Sleep Tight Citizens of the World! America is watching![/i] (& waiting for a clear shot)

Wohaaaaa !!!!!

Hangtime is back !!!

:)

Now (honest), if someone can explain me what is a "dolt".

Thank You in advance.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #133 on: May 06, 2005, 06:04:57 AM »
Hmm - not sure what the purpose of this thread was. Was it an honest question? It seems to have degenerated into a critique of the British voting system. I can't ever remember passing comment on the US system, or any of the candidates. :confused:

I was completely correct in my prediction. As readers of this board will have noticed, I'm always right in threads started by Toad. It's really very simple. I knew in June 2001 that Labour would win last night. There's no way a majority of 160+ would be overturned, although I saw some incredible swings away from Lab to LibDem - more than 9% in some cases. And WTG George Galloway - in Bethnal Green - LOL! Yeah, it's muslim round there, and Bengali - some fantastic curry restaurants around Spittalfields and Brick Lane.

I don't believe the overall result has that much to do with there not being a credible opposition. It has everything to do with the Lab. majority in 2001. I did some canvassing for the tories (I'm not ashamed to admit) and my Con.  candidate almost doubled her majority last night (5.8% swing to Con.). The other area I was involved in was Newbury, where the LD guy was defeated by a tory who won by about 3400. The tories will come back!

As for the size of the majority, I was right about that too. Labour needed 324 seats to win. So far they have 353 but with about 20 seats still to declare. At the time of writing Con. is on 196, LD on 60. There are what - 657 seats in the House of Commons. With Labour holding 353 of them, that gives them an overall majority (over all the other parties put together) of 49. I predicted between 5 and 50. The BBC prediction was 66. But the final result is not yet known.

What can I say? I wanted to be wrong, but I just can't do it. :D:p

My one word answer to the result - a sort of muted "woohoo". Let's hope it wipes that freaking smirk of Tony Blair's face. One thing's for sure: He's going to have to start listening to his lowly electorate from now on. No more railroading through of legislation like the ban on foxhunting, and using the Parliament Act to do it. No more using his Scottish members to railroad through an unpopular vote which does not affect Scotland - student top up fees.

OK, here's my next prediction: This govt. won't run full term. The worm is turning. The economy might be strong, but you can only rob Middle England once. We have an ever growing public sector with an ever shrinking private sector to pay for it. There are going to be BIG tax increases (sorry Wipass), possibly within the next few weeks. The increasing tax burden will have to be met by a shrinking private sector. It's a snowball rolling downhill, getting bigger and faster as it goes. Labour is trapped in the tax spiral.

Don't believe this Gordon Brown guff about successful management of the economy. He inherited a strong economy in 1997. Interest rates have not come down by half, but only by a quarter.

Offline wipass

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.secestimating.com
« Reply #134 on: May 06, 2005, 06:18:15 AM »
beet1e,

Nearly 50 % of my business turnover is handed over to the government in taxes, that is 50 % of turnover not 50 % of profits.

Gordon McBrown presides over an economy that grows on the back of rising house prices, consumer spending and borrowing.

The bubble will burst and quite soon too,

Roll on the next election when Labour will be thrown out ;

wipass