Author Topic: .40 Handguns, need advice  (Read 1797 times)

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
.40 Handguns, need advice
« on: July 09, 2005, 02:32:35 AM »
Hello,

I think I'm gonna be getting one sometime over the next year. It would be used for target shooting, I really dont think I will need it for defense or concealed carry. I am not intersted in revolvers.

What are the good ones?

Here is what I know from my limited gun firing experience.

40 vs 9mm: 40 seems to be all the rage the last few years. I have fired both 40 and 9mm and dont remember too much difference in recoil.

Glocks:  Dont like the feel and I really get distracted by the trigger safety as I go to shoot. Plus I hear some worries about the trigger safety. But its very coomon so I wanna give it some consideration.

Beretta: Really love the feel of the 92/96FS in my hand, love the looks too. It would be my emotinal choice. But I hear some bad stories about reliabilty.

Sig: I think I may have fired a P226 once, I liked it and it shot very accurately. I hear very good things about them.

Any cooments on those guns or other brands? Advice please. :)

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 02:49:45 AM »
If you want to shoot a Sig220 in .45 I can take ya anytime.

I like .45 over 9MM personaly. Target masters lets you rent all kinds of guns as well.

I also have an old tuned 1911 as well. (I have more but they are in WA state with the X)
:eek:

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 02:50:20 AM »
I used to like my Glock.. never failed me. Not the most exciting weapon perhaps but i never had a problem with it. I used to carry it loaded alot for a couple of years and its not heavy at all. I could never hit anything with it at the 200 m range ;) so it may not be the most accurate weapon, but at close range its ok.

Offline Heiliger

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2005, 03:59:56 AM »
I prefer .45 (1911), but also own a H+K USP .40 that I love almost as much.  It is a great gun and if you are going .40 I recommend it.  I fired the Sig in .40S&W and couldn't get over how accurate it was.  I don't think you can go wrong with a Sig.

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005, 04:26:32 AM »
I carry a Sig 226 .40 at work, and have shot a 9mm quite a bit as well.  You're right, there's not much difference in recoil.   I love the 226, and will probably buy one just for fun someday.  It's an excellent gun that's never given me any problems with thousands of rounds through it.    

When I bought my Sig 239, I went with .40 but also seriously considered a 9mm due to ammo cost.  If caliber isn't that big an issue, 9mm might be the way to go for that reason.  

Not a fan of Beretta at all.  The thing just feels like a piece of junk, not to mention shoots like it (for me).  I don't like glocks much either (don't like the trigger and not being able to see a hammer on the back), but I'd prefer them over the Berettas any day.

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
For targets...not carry
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2005, 04:30:15 AM »
If target shooting is your intention you may want to consider a Kimber in either the .40, or .45.

Patches
"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC

storch

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2005, 05:37:45 AM »
I have two .40 S&W pistols.  an H&K USP and a S&W 411.  I like them both but the H&K is far more accurate.  I used to carry the S&W.

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2005, 06:26:21 AM »
I used to have a Glock 23 as a backup to my 1911 .45.  Was a real nice point-n-shoot weapon out to 20-25yds or so.  Only problem I ever had with it was pulling the rear sight off.. it was a raised, extended sight and real easy to snag on something.  Never bothered putting it back, and didn't need it on the gun.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2005, 07:29:28 AM »
Grun,
I've fired .40 glocks, 9mm Taurus and .40 Taurus. I made my decision on the .40 Taurus. Its literally a good bang for your buck.  Go to an indoor range that sells guns and they should let you fire a few rounds, up here they usually have about 50 guns that you can rent out.

The .40 caliber muzzle velocity is more than the .45 and less than the 9mm. It almost carries the punch of the .45 with way less recoil. Its sort of the best of both worlds (9mm and .45)

FWIW, I picked up my Taurus S&W .40 cal large frame for $400. Anyone know why Taurus is allowed to use S&W in its firearm name???)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2005, 07:40:14 AM by Ripsnort »

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2005, 07:37:57 AM »
S&W makes top quality autos.  you can't go wrong with them, very dependable.

the Sigs pretty much 'top of the line', the only downside is you could own a pair of the smiths for the price of the Sig.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2005, 08:15:15 AM »
My favorite pistol I've ever owned was a Ruger .41 Mag Blackhawk. Accurate, uber deadly, classic looks and fun to shoot.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Casca

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2005, 08:17:21 AM »
If your interested in a .40 you might consider a Colt Delta Elite 10mm.  Beautiful ballistics and a nice weapon.
I'm Casca and I approved this message.

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2005, 08:39:50 AM »
There are lots of things to consider when buying a new pistol.

Since you've decided that you want it for target practice, caliber isn't as important unless you're using it for competition.  The lower caliber ammo obviously costs less than the higher.  My 9mm ammo is half the price of my .45.  I shoot at least 200 rounds at the range, at least once a week, usually more.  That's over $50 for .45.  

That being said, I enjoy my .45 far more than my 9mm.  I find them more fun to shoot and more accurate.  If you don't mind the extra cost, or if you plan to reload, get the .45.  Specifically, get the P220 or a 1911, in that order.  Ruger also makes a decent pistol, but I prefer Sig Sauer.

Strangely enough, I don't own a Sig Sauer 9mm.  I wasn't sure if I'd like 9mm so I went out and bought a new (inexpensive) S & W SW9VE.  The trigger was really hard until I broke it in, but now I don't mind it.  I'd get one again since they are so inexpensive, but my first choice would definitely by Sig.

The caliber has a lot to do with the recoil, but it's not the only thing.  My Sig recoils less than my S&W.  Why?  Because it's heavier, the barrel is longer, and the rails are full length.  The rails on a Sig go the full length of the frame.   That results in a smoother, more accurate pistol.

So, when you go pistol shopping, remember:  The best pistol I've ever carried is the Sig Sauer P220.  Two Tone is pretty sharp, but you can get it blued or in stainless.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2005, 08:46:38 AM »
Heckler & Koch, Glock or Sig would get my nod.  I shoot a USP .45.

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2005, 10:01:12 AM »
Since you specified target shooting over all else I have a couple recoendations.

For right out of the box you can't beat a Kimber for features and accuracy with no extra tuning. It l;ikely will shoot far better then you are capable of.

If not a Kimber then get a 1911 pattern auto and have it tuned up for you. If you can find a less expensive one like a Springfield you'll save bucks in cost and it can be tuned us just as far as any Colt or Kimber.

If cost is a consideration for ammo the 9mm is by far cheaper and available in bulk for more savings. The most expensive is likely the .40 followed by the .45 ammo. If you reload, it's a moot point as they will all be far cheaper than any manufactured loads. You can save even more with hard cast slugs in all of them. I know Glock and other brands with polygonal rifling do not recomend cast but I've never had a problem with hard cast.

I don't think the .45 is inherrantly more accurate than the .40 as the feed ramp chamber and barrel have more impact there than the calliber. If you get a great chamber and barrel all will shoot better than you can hold.

It also depends on what kind of target shooting you are going to do. For informal any caliber will do, just have dun. If it's paper the .45 is more common and the "toys" to tune with are more available too. If it's "combat" competition then a "major" caliber like the .45 or .40 will help you there especially on steel poppers.

Lots to consider so you have to narrow down what you want.

IMO the Glock is a dandy firearm in 9mm or .40 as I have both callibers in them. I also have a S&W in .40 but it's not as common on the range to see them and there are far fewer folks "tuning" them than any Colt or clone.

Have fun experimenting and keep it safe.  :aok
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown