Author Topic: .40 Handguns, need advice  (Read 1796 times)

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
.40 Handguns, need advice
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2005, 03:18:24 PM »
I've had some experience shoting rental guns for a few months several years ago and I think I like the feel of shooting 9mm and 40.

The stuff you describe reminds me of shooting Desert Eagle 50cals - that was something... :)

storch

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2005, 03:27:11 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Grun,
I've fired .40 glocks, 9mm Taurus and .40 Taurus. I made my decision on the .40 Taurus. Its literally a good bang for your buck.  Go to an indoor range that sells guns and they should let you fire a few rounds, up here they usually have about 50 guns that you can rent out.

The .40 caliber muzzle velocity is more than the .45 and less than the 9mm. It almost carries the punch of the .45 with way less recoil. Its sort of the best of both worlds (9mm and .45)

FWIW, I picked up my Taurus S&W .40 cal large frame for $400. Anyone know why Taurus is allowed to use S&W in its firearm name???)

The Taurus plant in Porto Alegre, Brasil was the former Smith & Wesson facility for handgun production to South America and Europe.  If you notice the Taurus and S&W revolvers are identical.  The older model Taurus and Beretta automatics are also Identical.

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
Think about...
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2005, 03:48:08 PM »
the EAA Witness, aka the Tanfoglio TZ-75, aka the Springfield P9, and (i think) aka the Desert Eagle .40.  All the same gun, marketed by different importers over the last few years.

I have one that I have tried to beat TO DEATH over the last 10 years, THOUSANDS of Major power factor rounds shooting USPSA/IPSC.  I have gone through two dot scopes, one dot scope mount, and nothing else.  The gun still works perfectly.  It doesn't look as good now, with the blue (black, actually) worn off the frame, but it will still shoot.  The ergonomics of the grip are perfect.  I mean perfect.  The gun settles into your hand like it was custom made for your grip.

I also have a para ordnance in .40, a good gun, but a big handful of pistol in the grip area--not a problem for me, i have big hands, but some people don't like it.

Another out-of-the-box possibility is a Browning Hi Power in .40.  It also has very good ergonimics, but it is sometimes a little difficult to get a good trigger on Hi Powers.  That linkage arrangement makes for a very 'stagey" pull, and all sorts of creep.

Offline Shotgun1023

• Zinc Member
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2005, 06:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by GtoRA2
I also have an old tuned 1911 as well. (I have more but they are in WA state with the X)
:eek:

Ouch did you lose them in a divorce?

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2005, 08:17:59 PM »
Just came back from a few local gun stores.

I really like the Sig P226 grip and feel, it's almost as good as the Beretta and combined with its reported greater reliabilty and accuracy makes it the current front runner. I'd be lookinng at a P226R DAK - double action with rails in blue finish - I wonder if its legal for civilans tho. :)

The Beretta still feels the best to my hand and I love its looks.

The USP feels pretty good in my hand, not as good as the two above.

I really dislike the Glock hand feel, I never liked them much before but I hate the new ones with the built in  finger contrours on the grip front - my fingers just dont fit right. Plus it doesnt seem like you can get aftermarket grips like with the Sig or beretta.

So it looks tro a fight between Sig and Beretta. :)

GTO I'd love to go shooting with you, when do you wanna do it?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2005, 08:21:56 PM by GRUNHERZ »

Offline tce2506

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2005, 08:30:59 PM »
Kimber gets my vote. Not gonna beat it for out of the box accuracy.

Offline stantond

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2005, 09:13:11 PM »
If memory serves, the .40 S&W became popular because the FBI adopted it.  Rather than train agents to shoot better, the thought was to go with a bigger round.  Personally, I think they could have just changed the bullet and a 9mm would have worked very well.  But then, that's just rational thinking taking over again.

The .40 is chambered for many fine handguns.  Find one you like and are willing to shoot.   Conversion kits exist for many handguns to shoot .22 ammo.  I have a couple (of conversion kits) and they work well.  

Personally, and I say this because I own several, 9mm's are similar to .38's in the 'fun to shoot' centerfire category.  A 9mm is also much easier to find ammo, less expensive to shoot than a .40 and will shoot a wider variety of bullets.  That said, the .40 is a neat round with nearly the muzzle energy of a .45 ACP.  I have known several people who have owned and liked (loved?) the .40.  However, it is not a shooters cartridge.  

Regards,

Malta

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2005, 09:24:34 PM »
Originally posted by derelict
Owned a Ruger .44 Mag Super Blackhawk for a year back in the 80's.  Loved that gun.  Had to give it back  :(

I've hunted upon occasion with the old man's S&W .44 mag and didn't like it, even with the pacmire(sp?) grips.  Too short a barrel, and threw the rounds everywhere.  Never hunted with a .357 though the one person I know that does says it just aint enough unless you get really close and hit really well.  Shot a friends Colt 45 a few times at the range back in late '90's..  Was a sweet gun, but I don't think it would take down a deer without a really well placed shot.

I'd kinda figured that the .41 was a rare bird.  But this dude from Ohio just raved about it like it was the cat's meow :)  I'd be reloading myself so that wouldn't bother me much about the ammo cost.  And it sound's like it should do well on PA Whitetail...may have to see if I can find one.  Thanks.

I used to shoot competitively in high power revolver matches like bowling pin matches and metallic silhouette matches. I owned 1/2 a dozen Model 29 S&W 44 Magnums. They all SUCKED. Heavy loads made the cylinder rotate backwards when you fired, and the gun got loose quick. I was shooting loads that were approved and listed in several reloading manuals, not "proof" loads.

My current Dan Wesson 44HV has outlived all of the S&W junk ten times over, combined. I don't think it has seen more than 100 factory loads in the near 20 years I've had it. The rest were max or near max hunting loads or competition loads. I did have to do an action job, including some polishing and a set of modified Wolff springs.

The Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk are wonderful. I have a 45 Colt  Blackhawk, if you use the loads suggested in the manuals for Ruger revolvers, the 45 Colt is every bit as good for deer, hogs, bear, or anything else as a 44 Magnum. I use mine for that as well.

Check out the websites for John Linebaugh, Hamilton Bowen, and Sixgunner.com, you'll LOVE what they have for revolver enthusiasts. Linebaugh has an EXTENSIVE series of articles on handgun hunting and heavy loads, and compares the 44 Magnum to the 45 Colt.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2005, 10:55:30 PM »
Grun,
 Anytime next week after about 430 is good for me. Targetmasters west is on my way home more or less.

We will have to rent a .40 or 9MM though cause I only have .45s heheh

Email me at gtora2@gmail.com

We can meet there or someplace else, I like to go over gun safety with new shooters before we get to the range but you have shot before so were are good hehe

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2005, 11:01:40 PM »
Grun,
 Anytime next week after about 430 is good for me. Targetmasters west is on my way home more or less.

We can meet there or someplace else, I like to go over gun safety with new shooters before we get to the range but you have shot before so were are good hehe

I made the boss take a saftey class when she moved in with me

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2005, 11:18:02 PM »
Grun,

It's been a few years since I shot guns so a bit of a refresher from a current shooter would be great.

Bring along your 220 and I can rent some others too.

I'll get in touch soon about timing.

Thanks

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2005, 11:37:16 PM »
Cool sounds good.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2005, 11:06:45 PM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
Just came back from a few local gun stores.

I really like the Sig P226 grip and feel, it's almost as good as the Beretta and combined with its reported greater reliabilty and accuracy makes it the current front runner. I'd be lookinng at a P226R DAK - double action with rails in blue finish - I wonder if its legal for civilans tho. :)

The Beretta still feels the best to my hand and I love its looks.

The USP feels pretty good in my hand, not as good as the two above.

I really dislike the Glock hand feel, I never liked them much before but I hate the new ones with the built in  finger contrours on the grip front - my fingers just dont fit right. Plus it doesnt seem like you can get aftermarket grips like with the Sig or beretta.

So it looks tro a fight between Sig and Beretta. :)

GTO I'd love to go shooting with you, when do you wanna do it?

My USP 45 has had a Hogue Hand-All on it after the first 200 rounds and made an ALREADY EXCEPTIONAL fireman, that much better.

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2005, 11:16:45 PM »
I'm definitely getting Hogue grips when I buy the gun.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2005, 11:19:08 PM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
I'm definitely getting Hogue grips when I buy the gun.

Grun, would you mind emailing me on your diet.  I could stand to lose some weight myself.  I've topped out at 260.  I'd appreciate it.

Dolinski@sbcglobal.net

<> bud

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC