Author Topic: .40 Handguns, need advice  (Read 1798 times)

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
.40 Handguns, need advice
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2005, 10:15:30 PM »
Update!

I went shooting with GtoRa the other day and we fired several hundred rounds through his P220 .45 and a rented p226 .40

I really like both Sigs. :)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2005, 10:28:56 PM »
Originally posted by Terror
For a target pistol that is extremely reliable and easy to use, get a Glock 17 (standard size 9mm).  It is everything you need for a simple range pistol to shoot continuously.

Essentially:
Easy to load (especially with the included loader)
Very easy to shoot
Very easy to control
Very accurate
Very easy to clean (Field strips to 4 parts)
Very easy to maintain (clean after every 1000 rnds or so)
Cheap Ammo (9mm)

Overall the best weapon made for everyday range shooting.

I would NOT recommend :

SIG, HK, or any pure dual action pistols.

Terror

HK is "tough to tame"?  Well let's see, I have a USP .45, and have been shooting it consistently for 6 years now.  It took about 500 round to get used to it.  Now.  LMAO.  Best damn $500 I've ever spent.

9mm ammo is junk, period.  I wouldn't trust a 9mm with my life.

Karaya
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 10:32:08 PM by Masherbrum »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2005, 10:50:15 PM »
Yeah Grun and I had a blast, now we gota get laz to let us come up so we can shoot his little .357 hand cannon.

Offline greentail

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2005, 12:51:31 AM »
The Colt 1851 Navy in .44 caliber is more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Very nice for home defence, also. If you miss the intruder with the ball, you'll probably blind him with the powder flash.

BTW
Lord Nelson's last words: "Kiss me, Hardy!"

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2005, 04:19:21 AM »
Sure, if you can keep the barrel wedges from falling out.  I doubt anyone is going to be scared of you if the barrel falls off your gun when you confront them.  Hehe.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2005, 08:16:06 AM »
Or if one of the caps falls off and jams the action.

GTo..  How did the new sleek grun look?   I haven't shot more than a half a box out of the 340 pd since I've had it and that is usually one or two rounds at a time.  I have shot umpteen j frames in the past and this one is about the same except for.....

THE RECOIL...

It was not all that bad with the stupid rubber gummy bear grips that came with it but  I put on eagle wood concealment grips.  trying to get a gun out of clothing with pachmyer gummy bears on it is like trying to get a wad of wet chewing gum out of your pocket.

lazs

Offline greentail

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2005, 08:20:14 AM »
Originally posted by StarOfAfrica2
Sure, if you can keep the barrel wedges from falling out.  I doubt anyone is going to be scared of you if the barrel falls off your gun when you confront them.  Hehe.

I never had trouble with barrel wedges. And if the caps do jam, it makes one hell of a club, though the dragoon madel is better in this regard.

Very spectacular when fired at night, BTW.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2005, 08:25:55 AM »
How come you guys don't like the 1858 remington instead?  seems a better gun.   Stronger... easy to reload (if you have extra cylinders) and nothing falls out or off.

lazs

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2005, 08:33:39 AM »
I do Lazs.  A pair of them actually.  I just didnt want to start the Remington/Colt debate lol.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2005, 09:21:51 AM »
Originally posted by eagl

Downsides - it's a bit heavy if you hang it on a crummy belt, and I've heard that there is a part or two that may break if heavily used or abused.  I haven't had mine break and I try not to abuse it, so YMMV.

Back in 1997, the INS gave me three 96Ds to test (we manufacture a sensor that is mounted in the right-side grip that counts rounds fired, time and dates stamps each firing and stores the data for future download).

These consisted of a brand new weapon and two "service trials" pistols that already had about 10,000 rounds through them and had been overhauled prior to giving them to us.

We experienced failures in both of the "service trials" guns and the new pistol as well.

At around 11,000 rounds, the front sight fell off one. I used a special loctite to repair this (worked great). Around 12,000 rounds the second gun had the slide lock cam pin fail and the slide, barrel and recoil spring went down range when returning to battery. This gun was returned to the INS, and then to Beretta for evaluation.

Around 4,000 rounds, the new 96D suffered a broken trigger spring. This was replaced and failed again just short of 9,000 rounds. We ceased testing at that point.

So, my suggestion is that you replace the trigger spring every 3,500 rounds as preventative maintenance. I doubt that you will have to worry about putting 10,000 rounds through the gun, so the other failures are probably not a concern.

The most amusing thing was the look on our receiving clerk's face when the INS delivered 25 cases of .40 Remington Golden Sabre +P ammo. We did all this testing with just 12 magazines, wearing out thumbs rather quickly. Every 100 rounds we downloaded the stored data. Over the course of the testing, the sensor system exhibited just 7 count errors, all double counts. However, every round was hand-fired and we had two guys with battered hands. The Remington .40 +P offers a moderate recoil in the 96D, but after a few thousand rounds, the hands get well and truly beat up.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2005, 10:41:03 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
Or if one of the caps falls off and jams the action.

GTo..  How did the new sleek grun look?   I haven't shot more than a half a box out of the 340 pd since I've had it and that is usually one or two rounds at a time.  I have shot umpteen j frames in the past and this one is about the same except for.....

THE RECOIL...

It was not all that bad with the stupid rubber gummy bear grips that came with it but  I put on eagle wood concealment grips.  trying to get a gun out of clothing with pachmyer gummy bears on it is like trying to get a wad of wet chewing gum out of your pocket.

lazs

Grun looks good, a hell of a lott better then my fat bellybutton lol.

There was a guy on the range shooting a 340pd, but he was anoying lol.

He had the big rubber grips on it.

Offline hyena426

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2005, 03:44:53 PM »
i hear alot of good things about the cz..its cheap..dependible and easy to clean..and they got one of the coolest rounds for it..its a 7.62 -25...about 150 bucks will set you up with one of them,,and i heard alot of good about that round

as for 40 cal..alot of people enjoy tarus and beretta...my freind has a beretta 40 cal..and it shoots very nice and looks good...but my buddy who works for a federal building said he seen beretta 9mm fail during the torture test in police acadamy..he said the range officer walked up to 2 guys and told them..your beretta will fail this test and so will this guys desart eagle 9mm...he said by the end of the test..both those guns failed...so they must know the flaws..im sure for a average shooter who keeps there gun clean will last a life time,,but if you abuse them..sounds like they wont last

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2005, 08:58:29 PM »
Just came back from Reeds Sport shop in San Jose, they are having a huge sale and gun show there.

I got to handle and dry fire the DAK trigger Sig229, now I just gotta find one to actually shoot.

Oh and I might just pick up one of those Ruger 22s at some point, the ammo is dirt cheap and the guns are kina classy.

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2005, 03:32:45 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
green... have you shot an off the shelf Kimber .45?  A Dan Wesson revolver in 44?

I like the HK but...  the Kimber and DW are nicer.

lazs
What's specail about DW revolvers?

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2005, 08:57:30 AM »
suave..  the DW revolvers are very well made with a lot of hand work going into them... great trigger pulls.. a barell that is supported by tension from both ends..  adjustable barell gap..  light triggers.  Line bored cylinders and tight tolerances.  Probly one of the top five production revolvers in the world for accuracy and strength.   You can also get any barell from 2" to 10" and bolt it on yourself.   the mount for the grips is unique and allows you to customize the grips for any hand.

lazs