Author Topic: Smoking  (Read 4307 times)

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Smoking
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2001, 01:55:00 PM »
What the hell are you talking about guys? Nobody is offended or cares that you smoke or passes the moral judgement on you any more then they pass moral moral judgement on people eating candies and geting fat.

The problem most smokers are not aware of is that many people find the smoke nauseating even in extremely minute quantities. That smell can easily be felt at over 100 feet and it stays in a car or a house forever. Even if freshly painted over and not immediately detectable, the smell eventually permeats through the paint - requiring expensive stripping and repainting.
 Even though concentration is likely to be too small to cause real second-hand smoke effects, the smell is enough to cause headeache, nausea and sleep problems.

People who smoke inhale such huge quantities of the pure tobacco smoke, that their smell receptors are numbed down and often cannot detect the amounts that make non-smokers sick. Or if they detect them, they do not even notice, being accustomed to the stuff and finding it pleasant.
 People who bunch up in front of the buildings entrance smoking have no idea (or no care) that many people (myself included) have to hold their breath for 10-20 yards entering the building or passing by.
 After such a brief passage my clothes and hair may take half an hour to air out the smell to the level where I cannot detect it.
 When such a smoker enters an elevator, the disgusting smell is overpowering - your breath emits it for at least a few minutes after you put out your cigarette but the enclosed elevator is the worst.

Obviously I would never buy a car that was smoked in because I would feel it right away.
 I would not buy a house that was subjected to more then occasional smoke unless I am sure that the smell is all gone. Freshly-painted walls or deodorants will only make me look harder. Not that only tobacco smells are important when buying the house - chemical, pet or cooking smells are just as irritating.

While I consider behaviour of many smokers offencive, I give them benefit of a doubt because they usually do not even understand how intrusive their action is. Same can be said about the people who abuse fragrances/aftershave.
 Nevertheless when commented, some of them behave as is they are offended and prosecuted for the habit that has nothing to do with others - while it obviously does.
 I am sure that many dumb anti-smokers could help the situation without antagonozing the others side if they took time to explain a problem in a civil way.

At that I pass absolutely no moral judgement on the smokers - there are plenty of pursuits that risk/damage health (like skiing) and any individual is free to excercise them if that does not interfere with others.

In fact, anti-tobacco legislation nonwithstanding, it is proved that smoking is very beneficial for society. It creates lots of jobs, really calms the nerves of people and make them easier to deal with (unless they are out of cigarettes  :)) and then kills them quickly and relatively cheaply around the time they stop being productive.
 Look at Russia - with male average life expectancy under their retirement age (partially due to almost total smoking of nasty russian stuff) they save a lot of money.

miko

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Smoking
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2001, 02:01:00 PM »
Actually, the walls have absolutely nothing to do with retaining the smell of cigarettes, cigars or any kind of smoke.

It's the carpets, pure and simple. If you got no carpets, then you got no problem cuz once all your stuff is moved out you just have to leave the windows open for a week with a few random deodorizers placed about the house.
-SW

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Smoking
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2001, 02:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by SWulfe:
Actually, the walls have absolutely nothing to do with retaining the smell of cigarettes, cigars or any kind of smoke.

true, but they get yellow like your teeth hands and lungs.

i remember taking a picture off of my wall after smoking in a house for 3 years. it was white underneath and the walls had turned so grdually i had no idea how bad it was. its outline stuck out like a sore thumb!

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Smoking
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2001, 02:20:00 PM »
The walls (paint) can be discolored by the smoke/nicotine, as well as the carpets, windows and curtains.

The smell itself is virtually impossible to get rid of without recarpeting and repainting with a sealing paint.

It is something the realtor needs to communicate as a potential issue with you.  Its called doing her job.  Believe it or not, some people don't want to live in a house that they think smells really bad.

AKDejaVu

Offline mora

• Gold Member
Smoking
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2001, 02:32:00 PM »
You really shouldn't complain about peoples opinions, at least you dont have as stupid laws as we have in Finland.

Smoking is prohibitet practically in all public places, bars need to have completely isolated large smokefree areas etc. There has been also discussion about prohibiting smoking in your own balcony! And of course that kind of thing would pass without a whine, strangest thing is that nobody ever complains about these laws. :rolleyes:  

PS. I have never smoked.

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
Smoking
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2001, 03:20:00 PM »
I can't beleive my eyes when I read that a non-smoker has carpet in a house.  You had better do some serious research regarding the emmissions related to carpet.  You will be shocked!!  The first thing I looked for in a house was one with hard wood floors!!  First thing I did was strip out the carpet!!

Carpet will kill ya!!

Now back to the subject: This idiot realitor should have kept her mouth shut and just informed her client that she wouldn't be interested in my house because it didn't meet the clients criteria.  No, this moron has to make a totally uncalled for comment out of the blue.  I hope she has an oportunity to show this house as I will not change the price other then the asking price with any of her clients.  Too bad she doesn't understand she can't be an idiot if she is going to be in public contact work.  She should get a government job in management where her talents for stupidity will be appreciated :)

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
Smoking
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2001, 03:23:00 PM »
I used to smoke until I crashed a motorcycle into a palm tree and broke my back. In the hospital there was no smoking allowed at all. My buddy brought me my first can of Copenhagen while I was in there, begining a very bad 7 year addiction.

Always had snuff in my mouth, and nobody at work ever knew about it if I didn't want them to know. I never spit. Kept the can in my sock.

When the dentist sent me for a biopsy because of tissue changes in my lip, I quit. I was crazy as a toejamhouse rat for about a week, continually grabbing in my sock for that can. I used atomic fire ball jaw breakers to get me through that.

Now, I'm condescending to smokers and dippers.

And where was the liberal outrage when Clinton encouraged that young person to use a tobacco product in the oval office?  :D
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Smoking
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2001, 03:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by mora:
There has been also discussion about prohibiting smoking in your own balcony! And of course that kind of thing would pass without a whine, strangest thing is that nobody ever complains about these laws.   :rolleyes:

Maybe because the law is very reasonable? When a guy living downstairs comes out to smoke on the street, I often have to close a window on my second floor because of the smoke - depending on the wind conditions.

There are plenty of noxious but relatively safe substances that I could release into the air and irritate my neighbours with. I am sure nobody would object if my neighbours complain and I am made to stop my activity. Why smokers have to be excepted? Just because it pleases then to smell something I find intrusive and damaging to my well-being?

We have plenty of laws protecting us from each other. You cannot produce loud noise or even not-so-loud noise if it's past bedtime.
 You cannot emit irritating chemicals. You cannot emit electromagnetic and other kinds of radiation above sertain limits. What is so different about tobacco smoke?

If your balcony is not close to someone else's window, you can turm on loud music, light a cigarette, rub yourself with a skunk oil and immolate yourself for all anybody cares...

miko

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: miko2d ]

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Smoking
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2001, 03:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by 1776:
Carpet will kill ya!!
Pretty much everything enjoyable kills us, including the nice carpet. The issue I have is other people pleasure killing me or causing me headache and nausea.

The realtor is really dumb. She probably did not know herself why people dislike the houses with tobacco smike.
 She should have advised you on what changes you could make to make the house more presentable.
 She did have to disclose the smoke to the perspective buyers - even if they can detect it themselves, it is not good for realtor reputation when a cliend has to lose part of his/her day to check up a house that is definitely not suitable for them.

She was also right to warn you about the fact that she is going to disclose it. I am sure she could have done so without offending you.

Too bad she doesn't understand she can't be an idiot if she is going to be in public contact work.
 That's what you get with low unemployment - all smart people are working on better jobs.

Have you tried buying a house recently? You can tell a realtor exactly what you need in a house and he/she will still waste your time with houses obviously not fitting the description or outside the specified price range - wasting your time.

Have you considered "For sale by owner" method? You save 6% on her commissions which gives you extra leeway in price negotiations.

miko

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
Smoking
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2001, 04:41:00 PM »
What kills me is the relative health problems of smoking versus urban living.  Miko, I take it you live in a City?  The air there, without smoke will kill you faster, give you more irritation, etc, than any amount of second hand smoke.  Vehicle exahust fumes?  Make me puke.  Perfume?  swells my throat shut.  Would I ever complain?  Fark no.  I remove myself from the situation if I can't handle it, and deal with it if I can't leave.

You do yer vice, and I'll do mine and we should all STFU about the other persons.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Smoking
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2001, 04:49:00 PM »
She did have to disclose the smoke to the perspective buyers - even if they can detect it themselves, it is not good for realtor reputation when a cliend has to lose part of his/her day to check up a house that is definitely not suitable for them.

This is totally incorrect.  She HAS to disclose it to perspective buyers.  Its called full disclosure.  Any realtor that doesn't do this can be held liable.  The same is true of auto dealers.

AKDejaVu

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Smoking
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2001, 04:57:00 PM »
Udie,

Get to your doctor and get some Welbutrin. Stuff made quitting a snap, and I smoked for over 20 years, failing many many times in my tries at quitting cold turkey.

Offline loser

• Silver Member
Smoking
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2001, 05:11:00 PM »
i have smoked since i was about 18.  im 23 now.

most of my friends smoke, but are all considerate of non smokers...and amazingly of each other.

we wont smoke before meals and never during. (although i have this one friend who smokes while everyone eats, hell he smokes while he eats...sick)

if i or we are in a restaurant and waiting for our food while nearby patrons are eating, we wont smoke.

it is not like anyone ever told us that it bothered them, it was just common senseand courtesy.

as far as your situation goes 1776, id be pissed that she said something to you, but not if she said something to a prospective buyer unbeknowsnt to you.

i have no intention of quiting in the near future because after being pissed for about a year straight i recently decided to give up the bottle over the butt, and a guy needs something(i dont say stupid things when i smoke or miss work the next day.)

my advice to smokers is to remember what is was like before you smoked (though for 1776, he prolly cant remember his phone number  :)
 j/k

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
Smoking
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2001, 05:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by AKDejaVu:

This is totally incorrect.  She HAS to disclose it to perspective buyers.  Its called full disclosure.  Any realtor that doesn't do this can be held liable.  The same is true of auto dealers.

AKDejaVu

For smoking?  If the buyer asks yeah I can agree with that, but if they don't ask.  Smoking in a house is not like faulty construction.  Your 3 year old isn't going to fall between the ballusters on the stairs because you smoked.  The roof isn't going to collapse beause you smoked.  Most house sales include new carpet/paint, so any odor should be taken care of then.  There's no threat to public health because somebody smoked in a house and then put the house on the market.

People are freakin babies now man. Boohoo you smoke, that makes my popsicle hurt   :(

Tah Gut,

Thanks for the info man, I'll ask my doctor this thursday when I go in. Although he's an orthopedic surgeon, I wonder if he'll prescribe it to me...

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: Udie ]

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Smoking
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2001, 05:16:00 PM »
Good lord, nicotine has apparently affected your brain and enhanced your fight or flight responce to tardtanic proportions.  Perhaps she was just commenting that some people would be offended at the odor and discoloration caused to the walls, and inevitable smoke smell-laden dust throughout your ventilation/heating system.  As a realitor, she knows this and is passing the information on to you so you are prepared for it.  As a non-smoker who can't stand cigarette smoke (but am courteous to smokers), I'd bet I would be able to smell it in your house instantly if you've smoked in there that many years.  Carpets or no.

Yes, you have the right to smoke in your own home.  And yes, potential buyers have the right to be offended by the after affects and not buy your house.  Simple enough.

Now quit crying!  And, uh, could you put that smoke out please, this bar is kinda crowded and I'm trying to enjoy my drink while the girlies dance.

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!