Author Topic: Will the USA green up its act?  (Read 5643 times)

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
Will the USA green up its act?
« Reply #180 on: December 15, 2005, 02:26:47 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
the water vapour and carbon dioxide are greenhouse gases and are therefore responsible for global warming.

Well if you would just quit breathing then part of the world's problems would be solved.

I put just as much stock into global warming as I did to the "Y2K bug" that was going to bring the world to a crashing halt....and we all know how accurate that one was.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 02:38:09 PM by sling322 »

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #181 on: December 15, 2005, 02:54:52 PM »
"...the old days of "Have a Coke and a Smile" are gone for a while. You can't teach the world to sing in harmony when you have someone that wants to shove a bayonette up your privates just because he hates the lifestyle we have." -Goth"

GAWD thats a funny quote!
:rofl

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #182 on: December 15, 2005, 03:04:32 PM »
I would just like to point out that building a lens / serran wrapping the earth wouldn't work.  There are constant meteors ranging from microscopic up passing through the earth's atmosphere.

Most are burned up by friction.

But this lens of yours wouldn't be able to stand up to the meteors.  

One decent size one and you'd spiderweb the thing.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
« Reply #183 on: December 15, 2005, 03:36:01 PM »
Naw....we would send Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck and a band of roguish space cowboys up there to patrol and blow up any asteroids heading toward the lens.

Offline USHilDvl

• Copper Member
« Reply #184 on: December 15, 2005, 04:57:15 PM »
Wow.  Another "America is the great, self-absorbed Satan" thread.  How creative.  How terribly underinformed.  How loaded with myth, junk science and critical missing information.  Just enough info to do some damage...and all started by an absolutlely reliable source...a newspaper!!  Excellent...newspapers are never wrong, biased or opinionated.

Is this some kind of special hobby?  Or just an agenda that really seems out of place on a Game BBS.  Does no one care to tend their own national backyards before slinging mud?  I'm sure all these unprovoked verbal attacks..err, sorry..'discussions' on America are justified by the fact that everywhere else in the world is gleaming, perfect and without flaw, pollution, injustice or harsh language.  And China and India are models of environmental concern by comparison to us Ameripigs.

Good Lord, but I'm tired of all this self-serving dreck.  If you're worried about greenhouse gasses and global warming, make a personal statement first.  Stop driving...ever...and hold your breath...too much CO2.

For Pete's sake already...:huh

Offline lada

• Silver Member
« Reply #185 on: December 15, 2005, 05:07:13 PM »
Originally posted by NUKE
There is no reason to conserve fuel or try to limit it's use through taxes. Any fuel we save now will be burned later, having ZERO effect on the gross emmisions of gases and ZERO effect on the finite amount of fuel in this world.

you forgot one important variable.

time.

It makes huge effect, if 6 bil. people burn 2l/oil/day or 1l/oil/day

since we all know that math is high sience in US, here are few more hints.
2:1=2 it means, that we can use it 2x longer and thus cut emmisions by 50% eatch year.

Its so simple ... like a leasing of your car. How could you say sutch BS ?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 05:09:17 PM by lada »

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #186 on: December 15, 2005, 06:11:09 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
He doesn't care how much vacation travel pollutes.

lazs
Come on, Lazs - be fair. All I said was I was going to do a one-week trip on the Oxford canal - and use one tank of diesel doing it. I have absolutely no plans to charter a 747.
Prove it, the only statistic saying this has been a "guess". Show me hard figures that are not guesswork. - Vulcan
Refer to Nashwan's posts further up ^^

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #187 on: December 15, 2005, 06:13:30 PM »
Nope, I'm not nailed in a corner, tied to a tree or anything like that. The subject of this thread is about global warming, and US greenhouse gas emissions, which far exceed those of other leading economies. Mash tried to say the list I provided was BS, and Nashwan has since provided further proof that it isn't. And, in case you hadn't noticed, the problem has been discussed at a conference in Montreal just last week, with delegates from a multitude of countries present, the Kyoto treaty having been signed by 157 different countries. If global warming was a cyclic thing, why didn't they also have conferences in 1950, 1900, 1850, 1800...?

I can see why your handle is Jackall - because you know Jack all about anything. Anything knowledge you do have is out of date, but you keep stepping in it by trying to hold sway about matters you know nothing about, like various countries (which you have never visited eg. Britain, Singapore), certain books (which you have never read - eg. the Cynthia Lennon book) the British Monarchy (of which your perception is based on the status quo that might have existed in the 15th century) and now global warming, whose existence you deny. Ah wait, I can see why you don't believe it - it's because 100 years ago (which is current by your standards) global warming wasn't a problem.

But go ahead - bring up your goal line defence, like you always do when you're out of steam( which is often), and remind everyone about my ladyfriend. You know Jack all about her too, but it suits you to keep bringing it up because it's old information, which is all you ever have. Guess you never did catch the latest. It's here . Go ahead and read it...

... on second thoughts, don't bother. Making do with incomplete, inaccurate and out of date information is more your style. Why change the habits of a lifetime?

Gosh, I`m honored that you proved my point so well Beetle. When cornered, throw up a wall of text. Sort of like a smoke screen.
Me out of steam? I haven`t even stoked the boiler yet. No need to when dealing with one of your "Evil U.S. empire" threads. They are all alike.  You put up something and thinly veil it, then you can`t stand it when nobody takes the bait, so you have a taste yourself, then spend a week trying to get the hook out of your own butt. You are rambling on about global warming and you`re saying that I`m out of date. Priceless. Just because you happen to stumble on some theoretical info and noticed it had something included that you could use to prove your never ending envy for the U.S. certainly doesn`t make it accurate or up to date. As a matter of fact global warming is totaly theoretical according to a lot of in the know people. Me? I could care less one way or the other until it is proven and then there will allready be a solution or won`t be. If there is a solution to it, it will be taken care of. If not, everyone will be dead. No worries either way.
No Beetle I didn`t miss the "latest". Matter of fact I still LMAO everytime I think of it. Did you really think you could pass that off? Brilliant.  :rofl

Oh yea....and once again , I have no desire to go to Britain. Never have, never will. Boredom is..........well boring. You claim to have been to Singapore. It`s sort of funny that you know so little about the place, but beleive because you happned to visit there you are an authority.
On Lennon`s old lady`s book . Nope, never read it, never will. I had as soon drive a nail through my hand. What I said was to the effect that first wives are not usualy an unbiased opinion. Guess that went over your head, huh?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 06:27:36 PM by Jackal1 »
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #188 on: December 15, 2005, 06:23:37 PM »
Originally posted by Jackal1
Gosh, I`m honored that you proved my point so well Beetle. When cornered, throw up a wall of text.
Rrrriiiight - 4 paragraphs is a wall of text. In your book. Explains why you are so ill-informed. :aok

Toodle Pip

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #189 on: December 15, 2005, 06:25:09 PM »
Originally posted by lada
you forgot one important variable.

time.

It makes huge effect, if 6 bil. people burn 2l/oil/day or 1l/oil/day

since we all know that math is high sience in US, here are few more hints.
2:1=2 it means, that we can use it 2x longer and thus cut emmisions by 50% eatch year.

Its so simple ... like a leasing of your car. How could you say sutch BS ?

Sure, if the entire world cut it's fuel consumption in half, then it would last twice as long. Unfortunatley we are never going to cut back use anywhere close to that figure. In fgact the world is steadily using more and more fuel as countries develop and they are not going to stop using more and more fuel.

And have you ever thought about how much time we have left until the fuel production begins to decline (not run out) to the point that less will be used anyway, with no other input or conservation from man. Increasing demand and declining supply will regulate it's use, it's like magic!

What do we have, 100-300 years of fuel left? Then we wont have to worry about the greenhouse gases, problem solved. How much damage can we do to the earth in 300 years? It's not even proven that we are doing much damage at all anyway, but after about 300 years, it won't be an issue.

So why worry about it if we are not going to buy time anyway? It's impossible. Any fuel will be used as fast as it can be pumped until its gone. If I save in America, then some Chinese guy will make up for it and use it anyway.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #190 on: December 15, 2005, 06:28:11 PM »
Beetle, some day off in the future as the earth's fuel runs dry, do you think it will have made a difference that you paid high taxes and drove a turbo diesel? :lol

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #191 on: December 15, 2005, 06:31:53 PM »
Rrrriiiight - 4 paragraphs is a wall of text. In your book. Explains why you are so ill-informed. :aok

Toodle Pip

Hehe! Informed just enough to know when someone is trying to pass BS off as instant pudding.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #192 on: December 15, 2005, 06:35:11 PM »
Well jackal, no need for you to read any books at all. Or just read the ones that tell you what you want to hear. "Global warming is a myth! -  La la la la la...." "Cars that get 5-6mpg are cool!!!"

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #193 on: December 15, 2005, 07:00:11 PM »
Just out of curousity Professor Beetle. What it is ,exactly, that you, personaly are doing in your noble fight against global warming?

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #194 on: December 15, 2005, 07:24:44 PM »
ROFL Rotax-  all that wall of text, from a silly grin. :rofl

8 paragraphs, 683 words is a wall of text....  check

Rrrriiiight - 4 paragraphs is a wall of text. In your book. Explains why you are so ill-informed.  

Toodle Pip

4 paragraphs, 330 words is not a wall of text....  check

Somewhere between these two parameters lies the edge.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!