Author Topic: Whats going on in Canada?  (Read 4346 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Whats going on in Canada?
« Reply #195 on: January 08, 2006, 09:11:33 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
So just eaxctly WHOSE ox is being gored as a result of our laws which prohibit possession of handguns?
[/b]

The folks who used handguns legally and properly prior to the ban, of course. Sort of like the folks that would have used alcohol legally and properly prior to a ban.

You're espousing the military way of punishment: Punish all for the transgressions of the very few. You must find it interesting to be on that side for handguns but then have to jump over the fence when it comes to drunk drivers.

But then...since YOU have no interest in handguns or firearms in general.... it's not important that they are banned. It might be important for those who did have an interest in handguns but.... up the ladder, Beet's aboard. I'm all right, Jack.

Now, were we to ban alcohol to save tens of thousands of lives per year....HEY! Wait a minute there mate! I'm moving to Spain! :rofl
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #196 on: January 09, 2006, 04:41:08 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
The folks who used handguns legally and properly prior to the ban, of course. Sort of like the folks that would have used alcohol legally and properly prior to a ban.  
They still can, as far as I know. It's just that the guns have to be kept locked away safely at the shooting club, and not left lying around at the member's home, from which they could be stolen. I don't see the problem.
You're espousing the military way of punishment: Punish all for the transgressions of the very few. You must find it interesting to be on that side for handguns but then have to jump over the fence when it comes to drunk drivers.
Now really, Mr. Toad, you're being quite unfair. Just because I'm one of the overwhelming majority of Europeans who enjoys a drink, that doesn't mean I condone drunk driving. Nothing could be further from the truth. I think you know this, so I would appreciate a retraction.
Now, were we to ban alcohol to save tens of thousands of lives per year....
Read Mora's post. ^ I didn't even know that Finland had a prohibition on alcohol. But as Mora points out, that ban on alcohol resulted in a significant increase in the number of alcohol related deaths, owing to people turning to smuggled spirit. This is exactly what I said would happen, in addition to which the whole smuggled spirit enterprise would line the pockets of criminals. That sound you can hear is the last wheel falling off your argument. :rofl

Ah, I see that I'm still waiting for Thrawn to come up with an example of the Royal Assent having been withheld by the queen, and I'm still waiting for archive footage from you or Lazs, showing us the protest marches along Whitehall, led by a throng of dispossessed handgun owners. There's obviously so much material that it's taking a while to go through it all. :lol While we're waiting, I thought I'd lay to rest a few popular American myths about Britain.

• Myth 1: "The British are mere subjects living under a Draconian government which took away their guns c1920, to prevent them rising up against the government"  This is a popular myth, much used by America's NRA in their propaganda to convince their members and readership of the need to remain armed. Most of their readers have no concept of a society which chooses not to be armed. Most of them have no concept of history going back more than 230 years, and the NRA further capitalises on this by pointing out how things used to be in the days of the absolute Monarchy, when the King had absolute power and the people really were subjects. The same propaganda engine doesn't like to go too deeply into the 17th century, and neatly sidesteps the conflict between King Charles I and the Parliamentarians,  which led to King Charles being beheaded in 1649. For 11 years after that, England did not have a King or Queen (how can there be "subjects" when there's no Monarch to which they are subjected?) but had the Commonwealth, until Charles II ascended to the throne in 1660. In more recent years, the Monarch is a figurehead, and has no absolute power. Indeed, the last time a bill was prevented from becoming law was in 1707. (Sorry Thrawn, I already knew that my money was safe!) If you still believe that the monarch has absolute power, go here to see how bills work their way through parliament. Do this only if you are interested in the facts, ie. don't bother if you're only interested in trolling. In Britain there was no firearms legislation until 1903, when the Pistols Act was passed. In 1920 came the Firearms Act. NRA propaganda is fond of citing how this bill "sailed through parliament" in its attempts to bolster the belief of its readers that the people had no choice in the matter. What they don't tell you is that this law was passed by a democratically elected government, and was not done on the whim of some King or Queen. What they also don't tell you is that in 1922, two years after the passage of the Firearms Act, is that Andrew Bonar Law whose Conservative Party had formed a coalition with the Liberals led by David Lloyd George, was elected. Thus the party that had served during the WW1 wartime coalition was re-elected. So much for the "Draconian government" bullshirt. A brief synopsis of David Lloyd George's premiership can be found here, and as you will see, the 1920 Firearms Act isn't even mentioned. It sailed through parliament because the whole thing was a nonissue.

• Myth 2: "The British are so compliant that they will allow government to pass any law, without protest". I have already posted from the archives ^ some material covering the Countryside Alliance march on London in protest at the ban on foxhunting.  Remember, foxhunting was (is - LOL) a sport enjoyed by a relative minority, and yet 400,000 joined the protest. In 1989, the way property taxes was collected was changed and the "Poll Tax" was introduced. This was hugely unpopular. It affected everyone, because we all had to pay it. However, some were much more badly hit than others. Living where I did with only two people in the household, it didn't make much difference to me. But to the lower middle classes with large families, it was devastating. Do you think the British people simply bowed down and took it? Think again. I have a film clip from the BBC archives. It's 17MB but worth a look. There were running clashes  between demonstrators and mounted police. The government was thrown into disarray, and PM Thatcher who once had huge power was forced to resign later that year. Source http://www.zen33071.zen.co.uk/ca_bbc_polltaxdemo_250.wmv
Protest pic

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #197 on: January 09, 2006, 08:53:50 AM »
still... till 1900 you had really no firearms laws and until the last few years you had no restrictions on the most deadly close quarters firearm.... the shotgun... yet.  your murder rate was not high.   No higher than now.  Wasn't it like 1 per 100k in 1900 when you had no restrictions?

Part of the confusion comes from the fact that shotguns were not considered firearms... they were not restricted till quite a bit later.

As for the brits not beintg compliant..... LOL... of course they are.  And the protest only heightens that.   They were protesting because their "lords" couldn't participate in the royal sport of running down vermin with pack dogs...   Allmost as much as of a tradition and conditioning as having a queen.

If they passed a ban on booze the brits would whine a little and comply.  And... it would save thousands of lives because... unlike some other countries... the brits would comply... the only way that it wouldn't save lives is if criminals ignored the law.

You wouldn't even have to totaly ban booze to make it work.... just do as I have suggested and put "restrictions" on it...  you can't store it at home say.... Who could that hurt?   you could have drinking clubs where one glass of wine a day was metered out if you were licenced to drink and had a responsible person to drive you and the police chief approved your application..

Bet anything the brits would go for that.

lazs

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #198 on: January 09, 2006, 09:22:35 AM »
They still can, as far as I know. It's just that the guns have to be kept locked away safely at the shooting club, and not left lying around at the member's home, from which they could be stolen.
[/b]

Incorrect, Mr. Beetle; do try to keep up. Your country totally BANNED handguns in 1997 in the wake of Dunblane. I guess since YOU personally have no interest in handguns this slipped by you unnoticed.

Just because I'm one of the overwhelming majority of Europeans who enjoys a drink, that doesn't mean I condone drunk driving.
[/b]

I certainly never said that.

I said you're one of the overwhelming majority of Europeans that will blithely support a ban on handguns and highly restrict all firearms to "save" a mere handful of lives because you are not personally interested in firearms.

At the same time, you're one of the Europeans that will ignore the role alcohol use has in killing your citizens. This despite the fact that it is without doubt the single common denominator in half the violence in your countries and is responsible for tens of thousands of deaths EACH YEAR, many of those innocent bystanders that are victims of drunk drivers.

Ban handguns to save a very few lives.... ignore the problem of 33,000 alcohol influenced deaths each year. Right-O! I'm all right Jack!

But as Mora points out, that ban on alcohol resulted in a significant increase in the number of alcohol related deaths, owing to people turning to smuggled spirit. This is exactly what I said would happen, in addition to which the whole smuggled spirit enterprise would line the pockets of criminals.
[/b]

Rise in gun crime linked to gangs

November 19, 2005

Rise in gun crime linked to gangs
By David Rose

THE number of offences involving firearms in England and Wales has been increasing each year since 1997, according to the Home Office. Firearms incidents recorded by the police have nearly trebled in eight years.

Provisional figures released last month showed that firearms offences had increased by 5 per cent on last year, to a total of 11,160. There were 4,903 such offences in 1997.

The possession of handguns was banned in Britain that year after the Dunblane massacre. Yet the illegal ownership of handguns is believed to be higher than it has ever been, with nearly 300,000 illegal guns estimated to be in circulation.[/size]

You've been without an argument from the start, I'd say.

As I've pointed out before, with respect to crime, the English handgun ban accomplished.....nothing.

(Before you attack the source, please do show the Home Office data is incorrect.)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 09:25:01 AM by Toad »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #199 on: January 09, 2006, 06:56:49 PM »
Lazs - still waiting for pictures of the throng of dispossessed handgun owners marching on Whitehall in their millions. I've provided pics of the countryside alliance march and the poll tax riots. I got them from the BBC archives. You might want to begin your search there.
Originally posted by Toad
Ban handguns to save a very few lives.... ignore the problem of 33,000 alcohol influenced deaths each year. Right-O! I'm all right Jack!
Did you download and watch the poll tax protest link I supplied? One thing strikes me about that protest. No one was shot or killed. Had the same riot taken plave a couple of years later (1992) in Los Angeles, we could have expected to see around 40 shot dead and hundreds injured. OK so my way involves people giving up a hobby. Your way involves people giving up their lives.

As for alcohol, the per capita rate of cirrhosis of the liver is higher in the US than it is in Britain. Last time I researched this I came up with a figure of 26,000 for the US and 4,000 for Britain. (I can provide links, but I can't be arsed to do it now) Shouldn't you be lobbying your congressman to ban alcohol in the US? Oh wait - I was forgetting: You're partial to 25 year old single malt MacAllan. Never mind...

It's after midnight, so toodle-pip! :cool:

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #200 on: January 09, 2006, 07:09:06 PM »
13.2 per 100,000 men died from chronic liver disease or cirrhosis in USA 2001 (NCHS, 2003)

6.2 per 100,000 women died from chronic liver disease or cirrhosis in USA 2001 (NCHS, 2003)

UK Telegraph [/i]Between 1957-1961 and 1997-2001, the number of deaths from liver cirrhosis in England and Wales jumped from 3.4 to 14.1 per 100,000 in men and from 2.2 to 7.7 per 100,000 for women.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #201 on: January 09, 2006, 09:08:27 PM »
OK so my way involves people giving up a hobby. Your way involves people giving up their lives.
[/b]

People giving up their hobby for no purpose. Dont' forget that. Your gun homicide rates haven't changed.

And don't forget to hope over to the other side of the fence when you defend a handgun ban and then opposing an alcohol ban.

Yet the illegal ownership of handguns is believed to be higher than it has ever been, with nearly 300,000 illegal guns estimated to be in circulation.

Does it perhaps strike you that prohibiting handguns has had the same result you predict for banning alcohol? :rofl But since you drink, you can ignore that; wouldn't want your ox punctured, would we? I'm all right Jack!

Shouldn't you be lobbying your congressman to ban alcohol in the US?
[/b]

Not at all; don't you remember the questions you just asked me? I not for banning either handguns or alcohol in the US. I'm essentially libertarian. I just ask that people that do abuse alcohol or handguns be held responsible and punished accordingly. Quite a bit different approach than you supporting a ban because you think you know what's best for everyone else.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #202 on: January 09, 2006, 09:09:33 PM »
Too funny, Holden.

Give Beet a hanky to get that egg off his face. ;)

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #203 on: January 09, 2006, 10:07:32 PM »
Toad = awesome.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #204 on: January 10, 2006, 04:40:47 AM »
People giving up their hobby for no purpose. Dont' forget that. Your gun homicide rates haven't changed.
You're forgetting that 1997 was not the first gun control measure Britain ever had. There was a whole line of laws passed, stretching right back to 1903. As I have told you about 500 times, the 1997 measures did not constitute a "ban", as it would have been next to impossible to acquire a handgun even in the years leading up to that. Of course, it suits NRA propaganda merchants to think of it as a "ban" so they can do what you have done and say the homicide rate hasn't changed. The fact is no "gun culture" was ever allowed to develop. And that's why the number of gun deaths in Britain is fewer than 100 per year, while in the US it's about 100 times that.  And, for the 500th time, many of those "firearms" you speak of are replicas, even BB guns.
And don't forget to hope over to the other side of the fence when you defend a handgun ban and then opposing an alcohol ban.
Better read up on your own history, and that of Finland 1919-32. Mora posted about the Finnish prohibition of alcohol. According to Mora...
It was tried here from 1919-1932 with disasterous results, alcohol related deaths rose significantly as people started drinking smuggled 96% spirit. It didn't work because we had an "alcohol culture". There was a significant demand for alcohol, even if a portion of the people decided to abide the law, and a criminal underworld developed.
And the story in the USA isn't much different. Bootleggers produced cheap, low grade "liquor", often mixed in an old bath tub, using any old ingredients they could lay their hands on. I've just found a long article, and will quote from it. OK I admit I was wrong - I thought it started in 1926, not 1920. ;)

Thirteen years that damaged America

“Prohibition did not achieve its goals. Instead, it added to the problems it was intended to solve” (Thorton, 15). On Midnight of January 16, 1920, one of the personal habits and customs of most Americans suddenly came to a halt. The Eighteenth Amendment was put into effect and all importing, exporting, transporting, selling, and manufacturing of intoxicating liquor was put to an end. Shortly following the enactment of the Eighteenth Amendment, the National Prohibition Act, or the Volstead Act, as it was called because of its author, Andrew J. Volstead, was put into effect. This determined intoxicating liquor as anything having an alcoholic content of anything more than 0.5 percent, omitting alcohol used for medicinal and sacramental purposes. This act also set up guidelines for enforcement (Bowen, 154). Prohibition was meant to reduce the consumption of alcohol, seen by some as the devil’s advocate, and thereby reduce crime, poverty, death rates, and improve the economy and the quality of life. “National prohibition of alcohol -- the ‘noble experiment’ -- was undertaken to reduce crime and corruption, solve social problems, reduce the tax burden created by prisons and poorhouses, and improve health and hygiene in America” (Thorton, 1). This, however, was undoubtedly to no avail. The Prohibition amendment of the 1920s was ineffective because it was unenforceable, it caused the explosive growth of crime, and it increased the amount of alcohol consumption.
It's a long article, so I'll just add a few bullet points here...
  • As a result of the lack of enforcement of the Prohibition Act and the creation of an illegal industry an increase in crime transpired.
  • Although towards the beginning of Prohibition this purpose seemed to be fulfilled, the crime rate soon skyrocketed to nearly twice that of the pre-prohibition period.
  • Serious crimes, such as homicides, assault, and battery, increased nearly 13 percent, while other crimes involving victims increased 9 percent.
  • The major crimes, however, such as homicides, and burglaries, increased 24 percent between 1920 and 1921.
  • The contributing factor to the sudden increase of felonies was the organization of crime, especially in large cities. Because liquor was no longer legally available, the public turned to gangsters who readily took on the bootlegging industry and supplied them with liquor.
  • “Seldom has law been more flagrantly violated. Not only did Americans continue to manufacture, barter, and possess alcohol; they drank more of it”
  • Another downfall of prohibition was that the illegally made products had no standards. Deaths from poisoned liquor rose from 1,064 in 1920 to 4,154 in 1925.
  • The drop in alcohol related deaths before prohibition quickly rose during prohibition. Arrests for drunkenness and disorderly conduct increased 41 percent, while arrests for drunk driving increased 81 percent during prohibition
  • “The results of the experiment [prohibition] are clear: ...organized crime grew into an empire; ...disrespect for the law grew; and the per capita consumption of the prohibited substance -- alcohol -- increased dramatically”
[/b]

Article source: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Troy/4399/

So there you have it. For me, there's enough evidence coming from Finland and America, both of whom dabbled with the disastrous experiment of banning alcohol. These are the reasons I don't want to see alcohol banned in the UK. It would make things worse, not better.

Well Mr. Toad, you seem to have a bit of egg on your face. Would you like to borrow HoldenMcGroin's hanky? :rofl
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 04:51:39 AM by beet1e »

Offline mora

• Gold Member

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #206 on: January 10, 2006, 08:12:32 AM »
Beet, dialog, as opposed to monologue, is a two-sided affair.
Is that avatar first degree, or can you just not be entertained by anything else than your own posts?
Or is Toad's point just flying over your head?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #207 on: January 10, 2006, 08:19:56 AM »
beet you are proving our point not yours... Of course prohibition didn't work in the U.S.   We don't worship our government like you do.  

Your death from booze stats show that if you banned it (or severely restricted it) you would have a ban that was 20 times more effective in saving lives than a useless gun ban.

I pointed out that you had just as low of a murder rate with or without guns.... You now have more crime and it is on the rise... Your people are defenseless over it.

Traditionaly... your police being unarmed has helped to make people feel less like they need firearms but now...  what is it 20% of your police are armed and going up?  soon, most of your police and criminals will be armed and the only people who won't be will be the law abiding subject (also know as "victim")  

Then you might get those demonstrations you asked for.

But, demonstrations are not a legitimate political process.  It is obvious that some people in england feel strongly about the right to bear arms... they may be a minority but at least 10%.... say 5 million people would want to own and keep firearms including handguns.... that is a lot of folks   Simply because they don't demonstrate does not make them not exist.  

You speak of our riots...  you are 97% white and...except for soccer...you kill veryu few people in riots..  fine...  How many of our riots involving only white people have ended in deaths?

to get back to canada.... I don't think that they are the doormats that british subjects are and I think that there may be a lot more than a few million who don't want this law.

lazs

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #208 on: January 10, 2006, 08:39:05 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
to get back to canada.... I don't think that they are the doormats that british subjects are and I think that there may be a lot more than a few million who don't want this law.

There was a crapload of criticism in the press, and then it died off as an issue.  What's more, the Conservative Party has made big gains in the polls and it looks like they will form the next government as a minority.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #209 on: January 10, 2006, 08:55:02 AM »
So, it looks like canadians aren't quite the doormats the brits are?

lazs