Author Topic: So much for separation of church and state  (Read 3688 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
So much for separation of church and state
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2001, 07:52:00 AM »

Originally posted by Tac:
Really? where? not even with wordsearch do I find it. Please point it out  

Im really interested in this. My US Gov. teacher never could answer that one.

Tac
I'll take a shot at your comment ..
"In God we Trust" has nothing to do with the "state" promoting the "church".
It is simply stating as a nation we believe and trust in a higher power. It's not telling you that you yourself have to believe, goodness knows with all of our "freedoms" here you can believe or disbelief whatever you want. It's stating the government is based on the assumption that there is a higher power than itself. I for one am glad for that. When my government doesn't believe such, I will worry.

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

funked

« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2001, 08:17:00 AM »
Kieren, thanks!  Made my day.  

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2001, 10:33:00 AM »
Heh, ok, since I am on a roll, let me continue. Unbelievers fall into this category of people, there's no denying that based on that passage. How would you feel if I placed you in a list of murderers, child abusers, liars, perverts, torturers and sadists, cross dressing allied pilots and sheep shaggers? A bit tiffed? I'd think so. And, if I then said "but I am not saying you're like them at all, it's just a convenient place for me to put you", you'd rightfully call me on my bullsh|t, no?

------------------
Baron Claus "StSanta" Von Ribbentroppen
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

"I don't necessarily agree with everything I think." - A. Eldritch

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2001, 10:48:00 AM »
Just found a relevant AH biblical quote:

Matthew 26

52 "Put your sword back in its place," Jesus said to him, "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword.

Not that it's right; Hartmann didn't die by the sword for instance  .

It's a nice quote still.

------------------
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2001, 11:02:00 AM »
Santa-

How would you feel if I placed you in a list of murderers, child abusers, liars, perverts, torturers and sadists, cross dressing allied pilots and sheep shaggers?

I am no better than anyone in that list. The point I keep trying to make is sin is sin is sin. No sin is greater than any other. If I am a sinner (and I am) then I am included in that list (by virtue of having committed similar level sins against God). So the answer is no, I wouldn't be tiffed if under the context of this discussion you called me these names.

As for the original passage, it is the Christian view of humanity in general. You may disagree with it, but to take a personal insult from it I still cannot see. Do you possess any of the qualities discussed, even one? That's a fair question, isn't it? If you do, welcome to the human race. If not, you are otherworldly, as I have never met anyone that didn't have failings. Remove the Biblical origin of the passage and it does indeed describe to a great extent people. Sure, it left out the good qualities, which we also possess, but the context from which the passage was taken was meant to be a warning to believers not to slide into the failings of the flesh. The Bible spends a lot of time reminding believers to look inward and upward. In fact, if you read carefully, it spends more time discussing the failings of believers than it does pointing outward to outside groups.

Offline LuckyDay

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dailyplanetmusic.com
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2001, 12:25:00 PM »
Very well said Kieren, in all the above posts.  I hope that when I have kids they have teachers like you - if they still let Christians teach in public schools then...

------------------
LuckyDay
"What're you going to do, bleed on me?"

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2001, 07:34:00 PM »
Kieren:

I am no better than anyone in that list. The point I keep trying to make is sin is sin is sin. No sin is greater than any other.

Christianity teaches you that you're as low as scum sucking sadistic pedofile murdering rapist.

A wee bit of a demeaning religion, wouldn't you say?

I'm a western humanist. As such, I focus on the human animal, its vast potential and its positive sides, as well as acknowledging the darker aspect. I find it pretty sad when people express such sentiment about the human animal and I beg your forgivenes for finding it unworthy.

If I am a sinner (and I am) then I am included in that list (by virtue of having committed similar level sins against God). So the answer is no, I wouldn't be tiffed if under the context of this discussion you called me these names.

Hm if you are all these things, it should not matter in what context I call you equal to a child abuser.

One of the things with Christianity I find hard to accept, due to aforementioned reasons, is this concept of original sin - two individuals, unknown to me, are not nice to god. God decide to punish their unborn children (and indirectly me, if I was a Christian) for their actions. I am not sure what we can learn from this, other than something about the nature of god.

As for the original passage, it is the Christian view of humanity in general. You may disagree with it, but to take a personal insult from it I still cannot see.

Well, I don't care WHO the hell put me in the same list as murderers, rapists and whatnot; it is bloody insulting as I do not belong there. Since Ice was party communicating with me, and you certainly are, one would expect that you considered my secular position and how your message could be interpreted. I try to not be blasphemous or offensive since I find you a great guy.

Do you possess any of the qualities discussed, even one? That's a fair question, isn't it? If you do, welcome to the human race. If not, you are otherworldly, as I have never met anyone that didn't have failings.

Let's examine it:

"For men will be lovers of themselves
I don't love myself. I like myself.

lovers of money
I don't love money. I find it a useful tool that is hard to be without.

boasters
Other than my mocking LW thing here, I don't boast much. Sometimes, I'm proud of an achievement.

proud
Guilty as charged. Wonder what's wrong with being satisifed with personal performance? Perhaps this is related to the human animal being a low life?

blasphemers
Blasphemy is a victimless crime    

disobedient to parents
Overall, nope. Certainly not anymore; and we're all grown up adults. They respect me and my limits, and I return the favour.

unthankful
Nope. Am happy that I have this little place, no money, disturbing neighbors and (at the moment) a chaotic private life. Because I am priviledged and could do a helluva lot worse.

unholy
holy and unholy are foreign pointless concepts to me; since nothing is holy, nothing can be unholy.

unloving
I love my family more than I love life itself.

unforgiving
Occasionally. Sometimes, you must be. Death penalty proponents would understand this.

slanderers
Ehm, not a chronic gossiper, no.

without self control
No, I've stopped smoking several times. Also started after years of pause out of a desire to smoke. Just recently stopped again.

brutal
I'm a very harmless little guy    

despisers of good
I love the good. The good, however, does not always love me.

traitors
Nope.

headstrong
Does that include committed to principles and standards, such as not harming others?

haughty
Yes, and damned proud of it, too.

lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God
I have no god. Hard to love what I do not have.

having a form of  godliness but denying its power.
Not an ounce of godliness in me. 100% Pure Human.

And from such people, turn away
If we're all like this Kieren, we must all turn away from each other. The propgation of the human species would be at jeopardy. Either the world NEEDS sinners to keep humans on the planet, or this line is to be ignored.

I posses some of them. Most are minor personal flaws that can be overcome by kicking in one's brain. Those I don't have are utterly repulsive and very far from me as a person. I very much dislike being grouped with them in a guilt by association way.

Remove the Biblical origin of the passage and it does indeed describe to a great extent
people. Sure, it left out the good qualities, which we also possess, but the context from which the passage was taken was meant to be a warning to believers not to slide into the failings of the flesh. The Bible spends a lot of time reminding believers to look inward and upward. In fact, if you read carefully, it spends more time discussing the failings of believers than it does pointing outward to outside groups.

The bible spends a lot of time telling humans that they're essentially worthless it seems. I'm not worthless, and I'm offended when someone, using scripture, refers to me in any way as such. Most non Christians would be, I would imagine.

You seem to know your bible quite well, Kieren. Perhaps you could explain to me why there is such a focus on humans as fallible scum sucking pondlife?

Btw; I hope this discussion in no way puts us up against each other; I would rather just stop posting more than do that. Discussions like this aren't worth it. But they're fun if both parts are prepared to just rough it out for the fun of it.

<S!>

--
StSanta

[This message has been edited by StSanta (edited 01-24-2001).]

TheWobble

« Reply #97 on: January 24, 2001, 07:56:00 PM »
Is there a formed religion that basically says that if you behave yourself and dont do anything that you know is wrong and that if you feel honestly bad about the things you have done wrong and try to make up for them you will be ok? cause that would be mine.

just look at the term "Organizer Religion"
thats an Oxymoron, religion is the most chaotic unknown about thing there is, to call it organized in any way is to dallude ones self IMO.  But whats worse is these religions tell you that if you dont prey the ways THEY have deemed fit or we are wrong, thts BS.

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2001, 08:50:00 PM »
I am not offended in the least by this discussion; it is actually one that I believe most Christians find themselves in from time-to-time. The difficulty for me is determining when to bow out for fear of becoming overbearing. If you are seeking my viewpoint on the topic I will happily continue.  

Yes, the Bible does express that humans, all humans, are worthless without God. It does lump me in there with child molesters as well, but it is more complicated than that. From an absolute standpoint sin is sin. The line in the sand is harsh and absolute. On the other hand there is the amount of sin one commits to consider as well. Remember, by the Christian viewpoint one must confess and repent sin to be forgiven. To completely repent means to recognize and attempt to change (with God's help) what is wrong with your life. God knows what is in your heart, and knows when your request for forgiveness is genuine. He knows when you truly intend to change. He is ready to help when you are ready. Still, the more sin you commit, the more you need to repent, the more change necessary.

There is another reason the amount of sin is troubling- after a while your heart hardens and you become insensitive to the sin in your life. It becomes easier and easier to do things that you know you should not do. Pretty soon the sin pervades your life completely, so much so that the original you is lost in it.

Now here comes the kicker- if you look at the things that God would eliminate from your life you see that they are almost all self-destructive. Take the Ten Commandments as a simple example. These rules were designed to apply simple rules of co-existance for the people of Israel. Jesus made it even simpler when he summed up all the laws of Moses; love one another.

Love? What does that mean? Sex? Familial bonding? Romance? Love in the Christian sense is serving and caring for others before yourself. God is referred to as "our Father in heaven" for a reason; it signifies the relationship we have with Him. Parents can readily understand the unrelenting love they have for their children, regardless of their transgressions. Your children can anger you, mock you, steal from you, but in the end you still love them. At times it isn't easy. Sometimes, because you love them, you must allow them to suffer the consequences for their decisions. Sometimes those consequences are painful, but it must happen to teach and prepare them for what comes after. This is what God does with us. He is always ready to forgive us if we change, but he will eventually allow us to suffer the consequences of our actions if it is in our best interests (as interpreted by Him, not us). If we remain incorrigible we are eventually cast out (separated from God). Bear in mind, this is our choice, not God's. It is God's desire that all be saved. It is why He brought Jesus into the world.

You mention capital punishment- does it surprise you that I would be for it in some cases? That may sound un-Christian, but in truth it isn't. And it doesn't mean that I am unforgiving, either. It means that people are held accountable for what they do. A person on death row may be forgiven of their sin by God, but that does not mean they shouldn't be executed.

Remember Moses? Neither he nor his brother Aaron were allowed to enter the promised land. Why? They took credit for bringing water forth from the rock at Kadesh. While that seems minor in comparison to all the great work that was done through him, it must be remembered that Moses was the direct contact to God for the Israelites. Moses was held to very exacting standards by God, as Moses was the bringer of God's law for Israel. Did Moses lose his salvation? No. He was denied an earthly desire, but his salvation was clearly illustrated during Jesus's transfiguration in the Garden, where both Moses and Elijah appeared and spoke with Jesus. You see, nothing on earth is worth more than your soul, not even the fruits of your life's labor.

Don't forget Jesus on the cross. He was there with two criminals, one repentant, one not. One criminal taunted Jesus, the other asked Him to "remember my name when you return to your Father". Jesus assured him he was saved. Even at the last moment, the criminal, though he was executed for his crimes, found repentance and forgiveness. Though his life may have been nothing but crime (and we don't know, it is the only mention of this person) it was still worthwhile, as another soul was saved.

Our lives and experiences are about growing, changing, interacting with one another, and ultimately coming to the understanding of our need for God. We are given the necessary tools to operate according to God's plan. The trouble begins when we fail to seek that plan and try to do everything on our own. This is why we are reminded so often of how easy it is to forget God, and that without Him nothing is possible or worthwhile. If we spend our whole lives chasing about after what the world has to offer but as a result lose our souls for all eternity, what good is that? I won't tell you that people who don't find salvation won't be successful in this life; plenty of them will be. I won't tell you that people that lead pious lives won't suffer, because clearly many do. Religion attempts to get us to look beyond the temporal (the now) in order acquire true wealth in salvation (eternity). This isn't just fire insurance, BTW. When it finally clicked for me I understood you don't come to God just because you are afraid of Hell; you come to God because it becomes clear He wants what is good for you, and that He is the giver of all that you hold dear in your life. You trust Him to use you to do great things, and that when great things happen to you, it does so because you have been given an opportunity to do something important for God.

Personal case in point: I have been given some mediocre athletic ability- not professional by any means, but I have a wide range of abilities. The one that brought me the most notoriety was running. For years I was a local front runner, often winning races by wide margins. People would see me out, they identified running with me. Then one day our local Athletic Director came to me with a problem- they were in a jam because they had just lost both Cross-Country coaches, and season started in a week. Would I be interested?

This was a problem. I was at the peak of my athletic life, and training thes guys and gals would seriously impact my personal training, not to mention inhibit totally my ability to compete. I wanted to say no. Then I thought about it. There was a reason I was given the ability to run, and it wasn't about winning a bunch of regional road races. It was about reaching out to others and helping to develop in them something good. Where this good might take them was anyone's guess, but in today's world any success for a teenager is a good thing. I set aside my personal desires and jumped in. Four years later that group of guys competed in their first state meet, light years ahead of where we started. Did I make that happen? No way! God did, but He used me to do it. Along the way I was also able to instill concepts of respect, dignity, concern for others, leadership, and sportsmanship to a group of gentlemen who learned their lessons well. And there has not been a single race, not a single important event where we have not thanked God and asked His blessing for our efforts. I thank God for bringing me into this situation, and am glad He finds me worthy to do so.

I close with our situation. God has me here typing to you when I should be doing myriad other tasks. Why do I do it? Because I know there is a reason, though I cannot be sure what it is. You are asking questions that I quite honestly hear a lot. Perhaps I will impact you in some way, perhaps not. Perhaps there are some reading now that may better understand what Christianity is about, and what it isn't. Maybe, some years down the road someone may think back on these words and a light will click on. I don't know. But I have the faith to know I landed in this thread for a reason, and that is all I need to worry about.  

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2001, 03:54:00 PM »
Hi Kieren

Appreciate your response. Don't worry about being overbearing; as a non theist, it's a quality few people have. As a LW pilot, it's a necessity. Personally, I don't think explaining ones views and ideals fall into this category.

I'd like add some additional question, or where necessary, come with my views on the Christian philosophy, from an outsiders point of view.

Yes, the Bible does express that humans, all humans, are worthless without God. It does lump me in there with child molesters as well, but it is more complicated than that. From an absolute standpoint sin is sin. The line in the sand is harsh and absolute.

Absolutism, I feel, is a human concept. Much like an ideal mathematical circle, it can be found in thought but not elsewhere. It's also an inherently dangerous thing - "power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely". This is especially true when we're talking about religious absolutism (which that comment quite nicely is directed at). One problem is it is unadressable - it cannot be questioned or discussed. If humans were absolutists, our curiosity would have been reduced to near nil and social and technological advancements be close to that as well. Perosnally I adhere to "nothing exists absolutely" (and no, that's not an absolute statement  .)

"On the other hand there is the amount of sin one commits to consider as well. Remember, by
the Christian viewpoint one must confess and repent sin to be forgiven. To completely repent means to recognize and attempt to change (with God's help) what is wrong with your life. God knows what is in your heart, and knows when your request for forgiveness is genuine. He knows when you truly intend to change. He is ready to help when you are ready. Still, the more sin you commit, the more you need to repent, the more change necessary.[/b]

It is my understanding that any level of sin is enough to exclude you from paradise unless you receive God's forgiveness, which is given to you, as you say, by God's grace when he knows you're sincere. It could be argued that this opens up the possibility of one final repentance and that the amount of sin really isn't importance.
For a non theist, or someone like me (western humanist with anarcho-syndicalist tendencies  ) the abandonment of self reliance is also troublingWhile I accept interdependence with other humans is existant, I seek to minimize it in most critical areas of life. Where it cannot be minimized, I cultivate it. Personal improvement is a field that is aptly suited for individual and personal work without the interference of external forces.
So here, we can agree to disagree, quite civilly  .

There is another reason the amount of sin is troubling- after a while your heart hardens and you become insensitive to the sin in your life. It becomes easier and easier to do things that you know you should not do. Pretty soon the sin pervades your life completely, so much so that the original you is lost in it.

I'll replace the word "sin" with "wrong doing" to get it secularized. After doing so, it is hard to argue with this argument. I still think you are what you think and do - the sum of your experiences and thoughts. The original you exists in the present and nowhere else  . Am glad I am not the same gung ho testosterone poisoned "wow this looks cool I'll try it despite the consequences" individual I was as teenager  .

Now here comes the kicker- if you look at the things that God would eliminate from your life you see that they are almost all self-destructive. Take the Ten Commandments as a simple example. These rules were designed to apply simple rules of co-existance for the people of Israel. Jesus made it even simpler when he summed up all the laws of Moses; love one another.

Some are, but far from all. The bible's take on homosexuality and general misogynism is hard for a European liberal (carries the opposite meaning than the American liberal) to swallow. Also people coexisted succesfully before Christianity; the ten commandments effectively is just a summing up of ideals and moral laws that have been with the human animal ever sine we turned into a social flock animal. It can be seen in more primitive forms in other species of animals as well.
Finally "self destructive" must be defined on a personal level. Had a long discussion yesterday with a friend about when the state should intervene to stop the individual from doing potentially dangerous things. My example was diving on old WWII wrecks - if I was to find a WWII wreck, do a dive on it and find old ordnance; bombs, ammonution and so forth, the state would instantly put a dive ban on that wreck. Here I disagree with the state about what is self destructive; my point is that it is life enriching and the state has the opposite position. Exchange the state for an absolute authority and you have the problem, only in an absolute form which is even worse.
"Love one another" is a good rule. Unfortunately, it is a bit simplistic when looking at complex group interaction and conflicting areas of interests. I feel the best approach is to be realistic and find a compromise that might not be to everyone's liking but can be accepted by all parts.

Love? What does that mean? Sex? Familial bonding? Romance? Love in the Christian sense is serving and caring for others before yourself.

Admirable, but exposes onself to self destruction and abuse. Perhaps it is good to some degree, but not perfect.

God is referred to as "our Father in heaven" for a reason; it signifies the relationship we have with Him. Parents can readily understand the unrelenting love they have for their children, regardless of their
transgressions. Your children can anger you, mock you, steal from you, but in the end you still love them. At times it isn't easy. Sometimes, because you love them, you must allow them to suffer the consequences for their decisions. Sometimes those consequences are painful, but it must happen to teach and prepare them for what comes after. This is what God does with us. He is always ready to forgive us if we change, but he will eventually allow us to suffer the consequences of our actions if it is in our best interests (as interpreted by Him, not us).

Consequences such as lingering and painful disease, utter destructon of personality, victimization. Consequences from things outside your personal control; a robbery, a volcanic eruption, an earthquake.
I believe it is also true that parents, loving ones that is, would go to extremes to ensure that their kids have as good possibilites as there can be. Here, god creates fallible humans and then let them play on a stage of his creation, subitting them to humiliating and painful failures and disasters. A good human parent would not do this. I believe that to lose the love of my parents, I'd have to torture my siblings or something like that - disobedience is simply not enough.

If we remain incorrigible we are eventually cast out (separated from God). Bear in mind, this is our choice, not God's. It is God's desire that all be saved. It is why He brought Jesus into the world.

I would have to disagree. If we are to use the analogy of human parents, this is not true in all cases. And God, with all his power, could have created a place where the'd be no need for salvation. he could have cut his losses when the Alpha version of Humans went wrong, instead of submitting *innocents* to rules of *his* creation, unbending rules, sometimes unacceptable and unreasonable rules.
He gives us the capacity to question, yet is unwilling to see that capacity used against himself if the outcome results in a negativ image of hi. Send the buggers to hell if that happens. Again, this does not in my mind correspond to an image of a loving parent.

------------------
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2001, 04:00:00 PM »
Continuation post: the bb doesn't like very large posts it seems:
Of course it is here the Christian concept of free will enters. This is somehow etheral and for unknown reasons and working in an utterly mysterious way, it leaps over what we refer to as causality. This far, I haven't seen a rational explanation to it.

{b]You mention capital punishment- does it surprise you that I would be for it in some cases? That may sound un-Christian, but in truth it isn't. And it doesn't mean that I am unforgiving, either. It means that people are held accountable for what they do. A person on death row may be forgiven of their sin by God, but that does not mean they shouldn't be executed.[/b]

This I feel has little to do with religion but rather a secular pragmatic approach with some philosophic backing. The bible is somewhat ambigious on this; an eye for an eye and turn the other cheek. Of course, one is the old testatement god and one is the new one; but the whole bible is the word of god, no?

Remember Moses?
Wasn't he the dude with the beard and kid?  

Neither he nor his brother Aaron were allowed to enter the promised land. Why? They took credit for bringing water forth from the rock at Kadesh. While that seems minor in comparison to all the great work that was done through him, it must be remembered that Moses was the direct contact to God for the Israelites. Moses was held to very exacting standards by God, as Moses was the bringer of God's law for Israel. Did Moses lose his salvation? No. He was denied an earthly desire, but his salvation was clearly illustrated during Jesus's transfiguration
in the Garden, where both Moses and Elijah appeared and spoke with Jesus. You see, nothing on earth is worth more than your soul, not even the fruits of your life's labor.

Well, I'd think that god would hold us all to the same standards. This is what I've understood from reading the bible.
For us soul challenged beings (and until you can scientifically prove the assertion of there being a soul, I shall describe me as such, just as I describe me as lacking a Grynthty if someone claims there is such a thing), the most valuable thing we have is life itself; it is to be cherished and lived, even though sometimes living it requires risking it. i place an emphasis on the actual rather than the remotely possible. It is, I feel a sensible approach. It is the same approach I have when I cross a bridge; sure, potentially it might turn into a giant swan and fly away, and leave me on some weird planet, but right now it actually looks like it is a working bridge that will support my weight.

Don't forget Jesus on the cross. He was there with two criminals, one repentant, one not. One criminal taunted Jesus, the other asked Him to "remember my name when you return to your Father". Jesus assured him he was saved. Even at the last moment, the criminal, though he was executed for his crimes, found repentance and forgiveness. Though his life may have been nothing but crime (and we don't know, it is the only mention of this person) it was still worthwhile, as another soul was saved.

I gather had I been there, I'd say "what a git", agree with the other criminal and tell him to "shut up and die already"  . It's too implausible for me.

Our lives and experiences are about growing, changing, interacting with one another, and ultimately coming to the understanding of our need for God.

Agree with the first part, but not the last.

We are given the necessary tools to operate according to God's plan.

Assuming there is one. I would say we've been given some tools by evolution and we're using our extensive capabilities and incredible intellect to futher our species as good as we can. The ultimate goal (which is futile, but hey, the trip is worth more than the goal) is to keep the human animal alive for as long as possible. It's a biological imperative.

The trouble begins when we fail to seek that plan and try to do everything on our own. This is why we are reminded so often of
how easy it is to forget God, and that without Him nothing is possible or worthwhile. If we spend our whole lives
chasing about after what the world has to offer but as a result lose our souls for all eternity, what good is that?

------------------
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

Ice

« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2001, 04:01:00 PM »
Hiyas Kieren...

Good work I don't think I could ever shoot ya down now

Santa....

I did not speak anything to you, I just quoted God's word and ask you or others to think about it.

I stand in judgement over no man...my own lifes walk is enough for me thank you

Even though you mock God, he loves you anyway. No words you speak about the subject are in anyway new or original when viewed throughout the years of history.

It is my hope that you would come to know his Son as your Savior...every knee will bow someday, including mine.

Take Care

Ice

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2001, 04:02:00 PM »
Ugh, longer than I thought: last part:

I believe with good conviction based on my experiences and available evidence, that the ultimate goal is life is to be defined by the individual himself. For me, it is experiencing things; death will stop it. It will nullify my accomplishments and remove my experiences from me. Effectively, it will put an end to one world; my world. We've been given this great capability; it would be foolish to not utilize it to the best of our ability. I'd go so far as to say it would be insulting to life itself not to.
Another area where I disagree with the Christian mythology/philosophy/cult (whichever is less offensive  ).

I won't tell you that people who don't find salvation won't be successful in this life; plenty of them will be. I won't tell
you that people that lead pious lives won't suffer, because clearly many do. Religion attempts to get us to look beyond the temporal (the now) in order acquire true wealth in salvation (eternity).

Indeed; this is what Christianity does, and it is one reason why one could call it a life denying one. Remove the actual for the potential. Stomp on what you have for a far and quite unlikely (speaking in scientifical terms) possibility. I disagree heartily with this philosophy.

This isn't just fire insurance, BTW.
When it finally clicked for me I understood you don't come to God just because you are afraid of Hell; you come to God because it becomes clear He wants what is good for you, and that He is the giver of all that you hold dear in  your life.

Well, honestly, don't you think Hell was put in there as a motivator? Think of it; on one hand; etenral bliss. on the other, extreme pain for all time; humiliation and whatnot.

It's a loaded question if there ever was one; it's akin to pushing someone out over glowing coal, then offering to help him, saying "hell, it's your choice. Refuse my help, and eventually you'll burn on the coal, or accept my help and get away unscaved." An easy choice for most men and women.

You trust Him to use you to do great things, and that when great things happen to you, it does so because  you have been given an opportunity to do something important for God.

Mm, it is nice to see it explained this way. It crystallizes the differences in philosophies. I credit myself for *both* good and bad, not just one of the two. To take MY accomplishments and say "god did it for ya/through ya" makes me want to respond with an offensive line full of profanity. Of course, being the overly civil and great guy I am, I only do so if the other person intrudes unwantedly into my personal life at his or her own request and without my consent  .

As far as your example; it is a good one of sacrificing personal gain for the good of others. On the other hand, one could argue that due to your moral standards, the personal gain would actually have been a loss. It would be nice to see you take credit for your own achievement there; really admireable and a good example to others.

I close with our situation. God has me here typing to you when I should be doing myriad other tasks.

Yes, I've also come to the conclusion it takes divine intervention for people to interact with me for longer than five minutes  .

Why do I do it? Because I know there is a reason, though I cannot be sure what it is. You are asking questions that I quite honestly hear a lot. Perhaps I will impact you in some way, perhaps not. Perhaps there are some reading now that may better
understand what Christianity is about, and what it isn't. Maybe, some years down the road someone may think back on these words and a light will click on. I don't know. But I have the faith to know I landed in this thread for a reason, and that is all I need to worry about

Mm, a good explanation. Much more worthy than mine; I landed in this thread because I have too much time on my hands and a personal interest in it  .

I realise fully well that you and I probably won't be able to convince each other of which way is the right one. But, I feel this discussion is an excellent one for gaining understanding of the other guys position and that's basically what I'm trying to explain. Please do not see it as a demaning "my philosophy is better than yours" post, but rather as an explanation of an alternative philosophy. I see yours in this way, and really appreciate your effort.

The thing that can be quite irritating to the atheist is that IF the atheist is right, nothing comes out of it, because death will simply be the end of life. If the Christian is right, the atheist will say "oh f*ck" and have to befriend Satan. He seems like a mellow guy; a victim of a slanderous campaign from god and the other angels  .

If Pascal's Wager is valid, which it ain't  .

Oooh, looks like this will be my FIRST thread to reach 100 posts. WOOHOO!

<S!>

------------------
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2001, 04:05:00 PM »
Ice:

I cannot mock that which I do not know to exist.

Other than on an abstract level and I don't believe I've done that.

Coullda done a lot better if I tried  

------------------
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2001, 08:25:00 PM »
Santa-

It is my understanding that any level of sin is enough to exclude you from paradise unless you receive God's forgiveness, which is given to you, as you say, by God's grace when he knows you're sincere. It could be argued that this opens up the possibility of one final repentance and that the amount of sin really isn't importance.
For a non theist, or someone like me (western humanist with anarcho-syndicalist tendencies ) the abandonment of self reliance is also troublingWhile I accept interdependence with other humans is existant, I seek to minimize it in most critical areas of life. Where it cannot be minimized, I cultivate it. Personal improvement is a field that is aptly suited for individual and personal work without the interference of external forces.

I'll jump in here.  

Yes, you are right, it is quite possible to have a "deathbed conversion" as you said. This is what I alluded to with my remark about Jesus and the two criminals. But for the average person it won't work out that way. Many will live their entire lives normally, without some tragic ending that suddenly gives them that epiphany. In the case of sin and repentance it is necessary to make change to show true repentance. The more sin you repent, the more you have to change, therefore the more dramatic the effect on your life will be.

As for self-reliance, God doesn't ask you to lie around and wait for Him to make things happen. God expects you to ask for His guidance, to go where He directs you, and to do what He says. This doesn't mean a yellow-brick road is laid before you, and that your life will be easy. Sometimes you will be tested harshly, and your perserverance will be tested, but God does not give you more than you can handle. If you ask for His help he will give it. And God doesn't intend for you to live apart from others, nor be independent. God asks us to care for one another, to help each other, to love one another.

Consequences such as lingering and painful disease, utter destructon of personality, victimization. Consequences from things outside your personal control; a robbery, a volcanic eruption, an earthquake.
I believe it is also true that parents, loving ones that is, would go to extremes to ensure that their kids have as good possibilites as there can be. Here, god creates fallible humans and then let them play on a stage of his creation, subitting them to humiliating and painful failures and disasters. A good human parent would not do this. I believe that to lose the love of my parents, I'd have to torture my siblings or something like that - disobedience is simply not enough.

Hmmm... turn that around a bit. Are you suggesting God gives you lingering disease? Causes evil against you? Evil does exist, and God allows it to; this does not mean He visits it upon you. Evil is often the result of man turning away from God, or sometimes (but not always) brought upon ourselves. God is very much in the mold of a parent, and does much to keep you with Him. God did create the world we live in, and yes, He could have removed any possibility of us choosing wrong; but that is the point. He gave us free will, that we follow Him of our own choice. And, like a parent, having given us the freedom to make our own choices He cannot force us to do the things that are good for us. He is willing to take us back whenever/if ever we decide to come back, but He will not force us. He allows us to suffer the consequences of our decisions. In the end, what happens to our flesh isn't God's prime concern, rather our eternal souls. This should be borne in mind when considering the suffering of good people who apparently lead blameless lives. Bad things do happen to good people, but in the end it is for a higher purpose. Can I give you another of my famous stories?

I just lost a high school friend to cancer. I don't know why he got it, probably from the chemicals he used at work (ironically, he was a mortician). He was a community leader, involved in all forms of civic groups. He was kind, energetic, and I might say full of life. He went through a lengthy illness, and suffered much. He left a beautiful young wife and four elementary aged children. Yet not once, not once did he complain publicly (and I saw him often), fall into depression, lash out, or in any way lose faith. He held his head up until the very end, and in death will be remembered as much for the way he died as the way he lived. His strong faith in God told him there was a reason for his illness, and I think there was. He has become an inspiration. His faith allowed him to face a terrible situation, and I'd like to think his courage and faith has been rewarded.

God didn't cast him out, He brought my friend home. His job on earth was done. His stay was short, but he had done so much. Now, in death, many people have a greater resolve to throw themselves into life the way he did, in all ways, even into religion.

God doesn't cast errant children (people) away, they choose to live apart from Him. Only at the judgement do we face accountability for those sins. If you spent your life turning away from God and fail to repent, he will then turn away from you at judgement. It is your choice for heaven or hell, God just set the rules.

This I feel has little to do with religion but rather a secular pragmatic approach with some philosophic backing. The bible is somewhat ambigious on this; an eye for an eye and turn the other cheek. Of course, one is the old testatement god and one is the new one; but the whole bible is the word of god, no?

Jesus said He didn't come to change the law, but to fulfill it. Not one word of the Old Testament was changed. The danger of grabbing quotes from the Bible (as you have above) is that it is easy to remove them from the context in which they were spoken, lending them entirely new meaning. "Eye for an eye" was intended for the Israelites and keeping with the law. It was a law that represented fairness and equitable punishment for crime. "Turn the other cheek" refers to social conduct, and how one should refrain from reacting to abuse from others, to try to rise above the failings of human nature. Both were/are necessary. Nothing has changed, and despite the appearance, they are in no way contradictory.

Well, honestly, don't you think Hell was put in there as a motivator? Think of it; on one hand; etenral bliss. on the other, extreme pain for all time; humiliation and whatnot.

It's a loaded question if there ever was one; it's akin to pushing someone out over glowing coal, then offering to help him, saying "hell, it's your choice. Refuse my help, and eventually you'll burn on the coal, or accept my help and get away unscaved." An easy choice for most men and women.

There was gerbil in a cage that detested his master. The gerbil longed to be out of the cage, to run free about the house exploring all the delicious smells and wonderful dark places he could see from atop his perch. Day after day the master would come and feed and water the gerbil. One day, the gerbil decided once and for all he would be free, so he decided the next time the cage was opened he would bolt for the opening. He was much faster than the master, so once free he would never be caught. The next day, sure enough, the master came, opened the door, and forward rushed the gerbil. The gerbil leapt out the door, and with one paw caught the master's sleeve. Looking down the distance to the floor he noticed for the first time the cat which had been patiently sitting under the cage day after day...

We don't always see why things are done the way they are done. We certainly didn't understand as children why vegetables were better than candy, why driving fast was dangerous, and how abusing controlled substances can have disastrous consequences. In the same way we won't always see the reason for what God does, we simply trust Him and know He knows best.