Author Topic: Oil Change Instructions for Women and Men  (Read 2449 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Oil Change Instructions for Women and Men
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2006, 07:23:41 AM »
That's interesting straffo.  Do you happen to have the API standards for the IS250 handy for the oil required?  Also, what is the horsepower rating?  What is the minimum octane fuel which can be used?

The U.S. version is rated at 204HP.  The fuel octane is 91, or better.

I just wonder how much this has to do with emission controls as well.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2006, 08:23:30 AM »
mora... even in the states that require no inspection... if you take your car in for anything.... it can't be repaired if there are safety items that need repair first.... they can't put wheel bearings on a wheel with bad brakes say.

I do not believe in safety inspections and note that states that do not have em do not have a higher overall or even equipment related accident rate.

They are a ripoff and just more government interferance.

I believe that the reason they started was not for suspension and brakes and such but because.... like you in ice bear country... our states with severe winters put salt on the roads and killed the cars in a few years.... rust was the main concern originaly...  course.. no government program every stays the way it claimed it was meant to be..

lazs

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2006, 08:31:31 AM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Now, with that said, there are a number of illegal ways to circumvent this whole process.  There are counterfeit stickers, inspection stations which can be bribed to slap the sticker in place without doing the inspection, and so on.
A English friend of mine, now living in Arkansas, once told me that when he came to book an MoT Test and asked the garage how much it would cost, the reply was "...depends whether or not you bring the car in"! Ah, the 1970s - heady days...

BTW historically the octane rating for American fuel has been much lower than in Europe. I believe Regular in the US is still 87 octane, or even 85 in certain high altitude areas. 91 was at one time considered to be super plus! Back in the day, this was probably because of ubiquitous low compression V8 engines, whereas here we've had high compression, high revving engines for as long as I can remember. Over here, we had a star system *=91 octane, **=93, ***=95, ****=97/99 and *****=101. The '73 oil crisis killed off 5* 101, and not many cars would run on *91 octane (the beetle would!) so that went too. In 1988 we began to see the first deliveries of unleaded. Now all cars have a CAT. There are basically two kinds of petrol - 95 octane unleaded, and 98 octane unleaded. Almost all cars will run on 95. That's what I used in all my 6-cyl petrol cars.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2006, 08:40:58 AM »
beet.... different ways of rating octane are the reasons not the actual difference in the fuel.  your cars will run better on our 91 than on your 95

lazs

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2006, 09:05:12 AM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
That's interesting straffo.  Do you happen to have the API standards for the IS250 handy for the oil required?  Also, what is the horsepower rating?  What is the minimum octane fuel which can be used?

The U.S. version is rated at 204HP.  The fuel octane is 91, or better.

I just wonder how much this has to do with emission controls as well.

I don't know what API standard is I guess you're speaking of the kind of oil to use ? it's  5W-30 concerning fuel we can choose between 95 or 98

Here it's rated  208ch at 6.400rpm (+4 hp naner naner ;) )
The spec I have are :

Moteur      :  2.5L V6 24s VVT-i
Puissance   : 208 ch à 6400 tr/mn
Couple      : 252 Nm à 4800 tr/mn
0-100 km/h  :     8,1 (8.4) s
Vitesse max :     225 (220) km/h
Conso. l/100: 13.5/7.7/9.8 (12.7/7.0/9.1)
Emission CO2:   214 g/km

I'm trying to get a used one but for the moment the cost is to high :

IS250  Pack Luxe (auto)     : 39000€
IS250  Pack Executive (auto): 46600€
IS250  Pack Sport (auto)    : 45300€

the price are for a brand new
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 09:23:03 AM by straffo »

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2006, 09:26:38 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
BTW historically the octane rating for American fuel has been much lower than in Europe. I believe Regular in the US is still 87 octane, or even 85 in certain high altitude areas. 91 was at one time considered to be super plus! Back in the day, this was probably because of ubiquitous low compression V8 engines, whereas here we've had high compression, high revving engines for as long as I can remember. Over here, we had a star system *=91 octane, **=93, ***=95, ****=97/99 and *****=101. The '73 oil crisis killed off 5* 101, and not many cars would run on *91 octane (the beetle would!) so that went too. In 1988 we began to see the first deliveries of unleaded. Now all cars have a CAT. There are basically two kinds of petrol - 95 octane unleaded, and 98 octane unleaded. Almost all cars will run on 95. That's what I used in all my 6-cyl petrol cars.

Beet,
Are you that naive? :rofl

Europe octane ratings appear higher because they use RON scale, we use an average of MON and RON.

http://www.t-r-i.com/gifs/xGasoline%20Quality.pdf

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2006, 09:32:08 AM »
I see one really big difference straffo.  The IS250 CO2 emissions are very different.

Translated to pounds/mile, yours is 0.759 pounds/mile.

The IS250 sold here is rated at (must be below this to pass state inspection) 0.565 pounds/mile.

Did you get the figures for the 4WD or 2WD version?  CO2 emissions are higher for the 4WD version (true of most 4WD cars).
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2006, 09:35:25 AM »
Oh! OK. :aok

Offline JTs

• Nickel Member
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2006, 11:17:47 AM »
i get my truck serviced every ten days or 10k miles which ever comes first.  for about 250.00 usd heres what they do

change oil 10 gallons mobil1 15-40 synthetic
change oil filters 2
change fuel filters 2
change water filter 1
lube truck
check trans
check axle differentials 2
adjust brakes 6
lube trailer
adjust brakes 4

in three years i have put 625317 miles on the kw.  lipstick (really bright red) should be good for about 2 million miles with this service schedule

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2006, 12:27:35 PM »
So jackall, have you read the Audi maintenance schedule that I posted? I embedded it so you wouldn't have to download it. See where it says oil service interval - up to 20K miles? :D:D

So Beetle, have you taken a close look at Audi dealerships around your area? Do they look prosperous? Look like they are making some serious bucks?
Follow those instructions. Adopt an Audi dealer in your area today. Your contributions are appreciated. :D
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2006, 12:31:39 PM »
Don't know, Jackal! I hardly ever need to go by my Audi "dealership". Oh wait, I got that litre of oil there this week. They look like they're doing OK, despite the length of time between visits by their customers. :)

I'm just about to rack up my 10,000th mile, which will happen tomorrow. Only another ~8000 miles, and I'll be due for an oil change!

:aok:D

Offline dmf

• Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2006, 05:47:31 PM »
Originally posted by NattyIced
I do everything on my car. Changing oil is a breeze with an impact wrench. I picked up some mechanic gloves with rubber palms, cracking the oil filter is quick and painless. I'm done in 20 minutes, unlike any of the local places, and I know I put quality oil in plus put on a quality oil filter.

Your better than me, I do everything TOO my car, the guy at the garage fixes it for me.

Hey I know where the gas and oil go give me a break.

Offline Bogie603rd

• Silver Member
      • http://603sqdrn.collectivelyspaced.com
« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2006, 05:49:28 PM »
Well, your quite a mechanic:aok :lol
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare:
http://603sqdrn.collectivelyspaced.com
Join our TeamSpeak server, Click Here.

New forum ID: Denholm

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2006, 09:02:07 PM »
Oh wait, I got that litre of oil there this week.  

So...........your car is using oil ? I wonder why.......... :aok
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2006, 04:13:25 AM »
Originally posted by Jackal1
So...........your car is using oil ? I wonder why.......... :aok
Jackal!!! Well, my understanding of it goes like this. The cylinders will eventually have a slightly ovoid shape when the engine is bedded in, caused by the slight sideways motion associated with the crank mechanism. When an engine is new, there's no way the makers can machine the pistons/cylinders to make a perfect fit in view of this, so the original fit is deliberately set a little tight to allow for the running in process. The pistons will be bedded in after a few thousand miles. During the first 1500km, the vehicle manufacture cautions against excessive engine speeds. In the old days of long stroke engines (1960s) some cars had to be driven very carefully indeed - no more than about 50mph. (The Morris Minor had to be driven at no more than 30mph for the first 500 miles! But that was a bread and butter car with a 4 cylinder engine for the masses - it would be of no interest to you) The crucial thing here is mean piston speed. With today's short stroke engines, improved oils and engineering techniques, the running in requirements are much less stringent. They just say don't use full throttle in that first 1500km, don't go past 4000rpm, don't tow anything and don't go faster than ¾ of the vehicle's top speed - so I was able to do 90mph from the first day.

During this time when the engine is bedding in, it is understandable that a small amount of oil will be consumed. This tallies exactly with the oil consumption of my original Golf VR6 - Within the first 10,000 miles, I had to add about a litre of oil. After that, it never used any oil between services, which on that car were at 10,000 mile intervals. I kept that car for 3½ years and 66,000 miles. The next car I had with a modified version of the same V6 engine never needed any oil added at all! It went about 13,000 miles between services. The one after that was my 1.9L diesel. Again, it needed a small amount of oil in the first 10,000 miles - and I think it needed about another 1 litre in the next 38,000 miles. But again, this is normal and I was told to expect it with a diesel engine. In fact my overall oil consumption was less than VW told me to expect.

So - my bumper sticker says "adopt a "dealership", and yours reads "adopt an engine oil retailer" :D