Author Topic: Idea discussed at the con.  (Read 10293 times)

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
Idea discussed at the con.
« Reply #210 on: July 09, 2006, 10:22:04 PM »
Originally posted by xNOVAx
I dont like it.. I think it could cause many more problems than it would solve..

First, It would encourage alot more running away from the fight after initial engagement.

Second, If there is high cap and a mission rolls in on a base, everyone high will just wail until everyone drops their bombs, swoop in for the kill and there will be no damage to the field.. Lame situation in my opinion.

First....these guys are running anyway.

Second....anyone doing that would risk not killing everyone inside the time.
Oh, and this would be no more lame than the suicide bombers themselves.

Cav...

This is taking nothing from CT.
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
« Reply #211 on: July 09, 2006, 10:30:41 PM »
Nobaddy...This isnt taking time from CT???  How So?  Has HTC outsourced this pet project to microsoft?
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
« Reply #212 on: July 09, 2006, 10:32:59 PM »
Its a waste of time....The complaint isnt with suicide porking...It's with porking in general...If troops or ords get porked, does it really matter whether they are done by a suicide pilot, or by a guy who last 120 seconds afterwards?  NO!  In the end the strat is still down, and someone complains
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

Offline KTM520guy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #213 on: July 09, 2006, 10:56:33 PM »
Originally posted by cav58d
 Has HTC outsourced this pet project to microsoft?

Don't say the "M" word!

*puts fingers in ears*

Na Na Na Na Na............

I can't hear you....

:lol
Everything King Midas touches turns to gold. Everything Chuck Norris touches turns up dead.

Offline KTM520guy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #214 on: July 09, 2006, 10:58:03 PM »
 In the end the strat is still down, and someone complains

Nail, meet hamer. :aok
Everything King Midas touches turns to gold. Everything Chuck Norris touches turns up dead.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
Re: Idea discussed at the con.
« Reply #215 on: July 09, 2006, 11:14:19 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
At the con we were discussing changing building down times based on how long you lived after destroying a target.

The 2nd player dies after 1 min. The system would remove 1min/2min i.e. 50% of the damgage aplied to the hangar. The hangar would then reserect with 2.5k damage left on it.

Thoughts?

HiTech

You could shorten the time requirment allot if this is supposed to be a way to stall teh pork'n-auger dweebs.  

Diving into a defended base with your hair on fire, bombing, and sticking around to fight "I" don't see as a problem.

It's those folks who know at engine-start-up-time that they will be following thier bombs into the target that are the griefers.  Even if you don't do it till the second or third pass... it's allot shorter than 2min from what I've observed.

JMO
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
« Reply #216 on: July 09, 2006, 11:21:22 PM »
I think we all need to be honest with ourselves...Our complaint is that the troops or ords have been taken down...This is a strategic part of game play, and I can assure you even if this silly idea is brought into the game, you will still see porking going on to stop advances....  This is a "solution" that will do nothing more than divert attention from things that should be getting done in the office!

Porking is a major part of the game and will never end...If I see a reset coming I will help save my country and pork front line bases...Its inevidable (SP)

The only solution would be to harden all objects in question....Hell, make an ammo bunker or troop barrack the same hardness as a fighter hangar (2500lbs)....  but this will do nothing
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #217 on: July 09, 2006, 11:26:49 PM »
Originally posted by Kermit de frog
I believe Auto-Level is automatically engaged for you once you go into the bombsite.   Make it so that you can't drop bombs unless you are in the bombsite.

Crap, I don't mean to hijack this thread.

WHAT a GREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT idea!!

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #218 on: July 09, 2006, 11:29:28 PM »
Hitech - I think the solution you seek needs to be simpler to address a gameplay issue like the kamikaze attacks on airfields.

I had a couple of good postings in the Wishlist forum that were well received:

First - Big Strategy Change:
Addresses those who wish to pork airfields by hitting the troops and ordinance.  It also puts long range bombing strategy back into the game.  Instead of defending your HQ, you also have to defend your factories.

Second - Airfield Resources:
Addresses porking issues by having a set amount of ordinance, fuel, and ammo at every field.  Up an aircraft, it depleted area/field resources (i.e I.e. if 10 P-51's up at airfield A17, they take up 15'000 rounds of MG ammo, 20 1000lb bombs, and droptanks for 4000 gallons of fuel and TEN pilots. The airfield supply count goes down for each amount. Some ups a formation of B-17 bombers with 8x1000 bombs, that 24 x 1000lb bombs, 19140 rounds of MG, 30 pilots, and 8430 gallons of fuel.).  

If you tied the strategy chances and the airfield resources together, that would have a huge impact on how this game is played.  More strategy - less airfield swarming, less 30 on 1 fights, less swarms of killer spits attacking a Bf-110, less gamey play, and more thoughtful engagements of the enemy in order to win the war.  Besides, isn't that the goal of every map? Win the war?

HT: I think you're after something a little simpler, but you're taking off your arm to fix a cut finger.  I think we just need a better bandage to fix this systemic problem. :D
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 11:33:55 PM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #219 on: July 09, 2006, 11:30:48 PM »
Lol delaying destruction until the time period is up - NOW I'VE HEARD EVERYTHING.

This is by far the most ludicrous idea I've ever heard on these BB's.

Like I said, why shouldn't GV's benefit from the same 'protection'?
How many guys have been dive bombed by buffs or jabo'd by guys who know they can't pull out?

Funny how a 'tweak' can be proposed to a single part of the game WITHOUT and consideration to the identical sitaution in other parts.

If ALL you are trying to stop is the pork and auger guys, at the max all you need is a five second, not 1 minute or 2 minutes delay.

Pork and auger guys usually follow their eggs right into the ground.

Sorry this 'idea' (an I use the term loosely), needs to go the way of the Dodo. (or is that Doodoo) :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 11:34:28 PM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #220 on: July 09, 2006, 11:35:37 PM »

And so far from the responses and resones im leaning more to doing the implemtation.

HiTech

YOU [size=18]ROCK[/size][/color] Hitech!!....... no wait, CT's delayed.

Your a SWELL guy HiTech :)

Offline RTSigma

• Silver Member
« Reply #221 on: July 09, 2006, 11:36:50 PM »
Wanna end suicide porking? Bomb and Augers?

Make the FH's, VH's and BH's harder. No point in coming in with a pair of fighters to knock out a field, what type of planes carry that amount of payload to destroy those hangers...BOMBERS.

Now, here is where you'll have to implement changes for the bombers themselves: Bombs need a certain alt to detonate, and can only be dropped from the F6 position or if the angle isn't more than 15 or 25 degrees.

The hangars can still be dropped with heavy fighters, it'll just take a number of people to do it.

Sigma of VF-17 JOLLY ROGERS

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #222 on: July 09, 2006, 11:38:37 PM »
Well I guess you can kiss NOE's goodbye.

2 minutes during which GV's can spew outta the hanger.

Plus kiss GHI's famous B26 raids bye bye.

Sorry this kills one of really fun part of the game, NOE's.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 11:41:38 PM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #223 on: July 09, 2006, 11:47:52 PM »

I think we all need to be honest with ourselves...Our complaint is that the troops or ords have been taken down...

Not really.. the complaint is people doing it in a gamey way.  This "silly" solution will at least force people to re-think the approach they take that will benefit everyone.

This is a strategic part of game play, and I can assure you even if this silly idea is brought into the game, you will still see porking going on to stop advances....  This is a "solution" that will do nothing more than divert attention from things that should be getting done in the office!

Actually... what this solution will do is snuff the pork'n-auger folks.  The point being, you can STILL get your jollies following your bombs all the way to impact, re-up, rinse & repeat.  However, your efforts do not affect the opposition who would at least like a "chance" of defending thier property.  So, you get to pork'n-auger all you want, & the opposition doesn't have to worry about you causing damage they have little chance of defending against.  Everybody wins!! :)

Porking is a major part of the game and will never end...If I see a reset coming I will help save my country and pork front line bases...Its inevidable (SP)

But... at least you'll have to WORK at porking to make a difference, like the defenders have to WORK at defending.

The only solution would be to harden all objects in question....Hell, make an ammo bunker or troop barrack the same hardness as a fighter hangar (2500lbs)....  but this will do nothing

I don't think it's near as bad an idea as you think... the only real difference you (this of course is IF you're a pork'n-auger guy) have to deal with is to simply line up, release your bombs and continue flying.  Why is it bad if you get to keep flying AND help out your country?  This is why we have AH, no?

Offline FDutchmn

• Silver Member
Re: Idea discussed at the con.
« Reply #224 on: July 10, 2006, 01:53:57 AM »
At the con we were discussing changing building down times based on how long you lived after destroying a target.

After doing some detailed thinking about it, relized the down time is problematic when mutliple people have hit a targe. But was wondering what people thought of the following.

Based on how long you lived after hiting a target, currently im thinking around 2 minutes. If you die a portion of your damage is removed.

As an example 2 people drop bombs on a hangar. 1 does 2k damage, the last does 1k damage and destroys the hangar.

The 2nd player dies after 1 min. The system would remove 1min/2min i.e. 50% of the damgage aplied to the hangar. The hangar would then reserect with 2.5k damage left on it.

Thoughts?

HiTech

I think my thoughts have been said by others and I think this is a fine idea.  However, since there is no mention about CVs in the original post, I just want to know how Hitech thinks of applying this idea on CVs and torpedo platforms such as TBMs, B5Ns, Ju88s, and Ki67s?  And PT boats too!  

There are some wonderful ideas already mentioned on this thread, eg. CV listing on damage, perhaps the damage control crew can get the CV back on track if the bombers die before the two minutes are up.  

However, with a torp platform this is slightly different.  5in guns are nasty and there is almost no way of surviving.  Also, there are delayed hits after the torp platforms die.  Torps take long for it to hit the target.

For these questions, I think torpedoes should not be considered in this fix if it is possible to put it out of scope.

Now that I mentioned delayed hits... I forget how things work... if you die before the eggs hit the hanger, do the eggs disappear or is it an effective hit?  How to handle this is also a question... (which I have not read the entire thread for an answer yet).  Also, how to handle a guy who resets his computer after he releases the eggs is also something to consider... just a thought that came to my mind as I wrote this...