Author Topic: Terrain Editor Wanna Bee's  (Read 3459 times)

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Terrain Editor Wanna Bee's
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2006, 03:17:30 PM »
Ahhhhhhhh... yes grasshopper, but you can fix it in the old editor.  Invert the runway and sandwich it under the other one so you can see it from underneath. I build a workable bridge that way.

maybe Pokie still has the original Tunisia map that had it.  hyblair Made a film of it, and added Ozzie's Crazy Train music to it.

I drove a flak on the bridge and was shooting at them as they flew over and under the bridge.

NUTTZ

Originally posted by NHawk
Trust me... it works. :)

Runways are only textured on the top side. You can be under it and not know it.

Try placing a runway the way you said 1 mile away from a base. Go to it and drive across it. The go back and about 1/2 way through drive off the side, you'll fall 50 feet. Drive under where it should be and you won't see it.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2006, 03:27:03 PM »
Good to see you Nuttz...

I experimented with that long ago when you first posted about bridges. :)

I was really just poining out that raising the elevation 1 foot at a time does work as one would expect. And, speculating on why Bogie may have thought it doesn't work.

Hmm..Feasterville huh? My wife is from Southampton & best friends are in Trevose on Loblolly....

1) We might indirectly (or directly) know each other.
2) I'm in Southampton once or twice a year. We should meet.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2006, 03:35:52 PM »
Feasterville and Trevose are the same area, Lower Southampton township. I'm North of street road, just above the Trevose Fire Company. I moved from Philly 3 years ago, still learning the area, but it ROCKS!!!!!!!!

Yes, post when your in the area

Yes you can change the elevation 1 foot.

NUTTZ

Originally posted by NHawk
Good to see you Nuttz...

I experimented with that long ago when you first posted about bridges. :)

I was really just poining out that raising the elevation 1 foot at a time does work as one would expect. And, speculating on why Bogie may have thought it doesn't work.

Hmm..Feasterville huh? My wife is from Southampton & best friends are in Trevose on Loblolly....

1) We might indirectly (or directly) know each other.
2) I'm in Southampton once or twice a year. We should meet.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2006, 03:40:15 PM »
I know exactly where you are. Near the tracks. :)

I'll post next time I'm around. :)
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Bogie603rd

• Silver Member
      • http://603sqdrn.collectivelyspaced.com
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2006, 10:14:54 AM »
Originally posted by mrmidi
I followed your tut. and made a working map exelent work on the tut.

What I'ld like to know now, is there a way to import a
topigraphical map of a continent into the TE to make a map,
or does it all have to be done from scratch.

Thanks for the compliment, finally got it straightened out after some necessary discrimination (thanks guys!).

About the topographical map. I once made a malta terrain still being used in H2H known as "MaltaDn1". It has 6-10 bishop CV's vs the maltese bases owned by the knights which are HEAVILY armored. I got the map image to look the way it is by taking an image off a weather site!

I just went online and searched for: Malta Maps. Immediatly one of the first 5 results was "Weather for Malta". I clicked on that and got a few neat map options for the terrain. I used that, made it a 256 color bitmap, added the grid ontop of it using Adobe Photoshop. And then just added my own system of grid coordinates.

From there, I just used that bitmap as my map image, then zoomed in very close on the bitmap in the TE, then went around placing the border tiles of the terrain. It sounds complicated, and yes, it is time consuming. But it is rather simple when you have all the tools necessary!

NOTE: It's much harder to try this example with a smaller map. Placing the tiles in the exact locations becomes much more difficult and doesent look at all as what it did on the bitmap.
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare:
http://603sqdrn.collectivelyspaced.com
Join our TeamSpeak server, Click Here.

New forum ID: Denholm

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
Thanks
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2006, 07:17:19 AM »
First off I want to thank you Bogie very much for taking the time to write the tutorial on terain building.  I printed it out last night and plan to spend a lot time reading it.  Outstanding work!

In one of the posts to this thread a reference is made to the TE help file.  Where do I find it?  I want to download that puppy too.

thanks again
Always try and be the person your dog thinks you are.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2006, 08:50:47 AM »
The TE help file is built into the Terrain Editor.  It's on the menu bar.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Bogie603rd

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2006, 01:48:04 PM »
Thanks badhorse, I appreciate all compliments, as well as the discrimination (Thanks again guys)!:aok

Offline DLfrmHLL

• Zinc Member
Strat Re-supply
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2006, 08:21:42 AM »
I am now placing roads and convoys about the map. In testing these... here is what I am seeing. Convoys, Trains, and Barges run all the time, with or with out damage to their bases. The damage does not repair even after seval hours. Things i may have gotten wrong are...Group Masters and Zones. I did not give any bases a group master, and i may be out of sequence with zones and base numbers i.e. (1) Bish (2) Knights, and mutiples of three for the rooks. One more thought also ...does there have to be a depot at each end of a supply road ?  :rolleyes:

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2006, 11:03:35 AM »
The only base number that matters is A1.  It must be Bish, Airfield 1, Zone 1.  Don't skip any numbers in the final terrain.

All bases and strat must be Group Masters except task groups, they're owned by a base.

Use the build roads button to populate your roads with convoys, and edit them.  Remember to use the redo objects button after you edit roads.  This will also take care of the "depots".

When testing or placing roads, know that the vehicles run for 10 minutes no matter how long the track is, then they start over.  If things aren't being rebuilt there could be a couple of reasons.
Field or Strat isn't a Group Master.
Zones or base numbers don't match after you renumbered the bases.
You changed the elevations the roads run over (maybe.)
You forgot to Redo Objects one last time.
You have the Arena Settings Fubar i.e. DowntimeMult = max.
Probably others.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 11:08:54 AM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Re: Strat Re-supply
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2006, 11:04:51 AM »
Originally posted by DLfrmHLL
I am now placing roads and convoys about the map. In testing these... here is what I am seeing. Convoys, Trains, and Barges run all the time, with or with out damage to their bases. The damage does not repair even after seval hours. Things i may have gotten wrong are...Group Masters and Zones. I did not give any bases a group master, and i may be out of sequence with zones and base numbers i.e. (1) Bish (2) Knights, and mutiples of three for the rooks. One more thought also ...does there have to be a depot at each end of a supply road ?  :rolleyes:
That is the purpose of the convoys, etc...to supply a field or factory so they would run all of the time.

If you haven't placed factories properly your bases will never repair and/or the factories themselves won't repair.

If you haven't placed bases properly, such as labeling them group masters and attaching them to the proper zones they will never repair.

And, rather than placing roads and tracks manually try using the "create all" button. :)

Offline Bogie603rd

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2006, 10:38:54 AM »
Just incase your making a "8-Player" map, you might not want to worry about strat. People in 8-Player want small maps, and unless its for some kind of a scenario, I suggest you don't worry about it.

Offline Yoshimbo

• Nickel Member
      • http://freewebs.com/yoshimbo/
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2006, 03:43:00 PM »
YES! YES! TY! NOW I CAN MAKE MAPS THAT TUTORIAL HAS MADE EVERYTHING CLEAR! TY <>

now....

question....

y do i have no map when i go into offline? i did wut u said, but he only "map" the TE made was this pissant light blue map with cords 10,sumthin in a very light grey in corner, i see NO terrain on map or anything, my map is a TG on TG type map so there are no bases only 3 hqs off sumwhere, and 3 large TGs i do have terrain out there but the "make map" doesn't make it, that terrainis wut i really need on map too, ya kno? so u can maneuver yer TG.

plz hlp o wise maker of maps:cry

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
More to come?
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2006, 07:11:36 AM »
Bogie have you given any thought to continuing your tutorial? For example how to add trees, hills, roads, rivers, etc.  Also I am having trouble figuring out setting different terrain elevations. I printed out the help file but the instructions are no way as clear as the ones you give.
Always try and be the person your dog thinks you are.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2006, 07:36:10 AM »
I played for a couple of hours on sunday with your tutorial and it was most helpful....

can anyone put links for those progams mapmaker or terraingen that were mentioned.

Plus what is the best size for a main arena map ive got one layed out in my head but started it as 512 so its big.  When I tried testing my "fighter town"  it looked so tiny in the middle.....

Bruv
~S~
The Few ***
F.P.H